BMW F800 Forum banner

Advantages F800ST vs. F800GT

66K views 83 replies 30 participants last post by  gladstonian 
#1 ·
ST has about 20-30 more miles in range, (smaller tank on the GT possibly less mpg), non ABS available, around 10lbs lighter, with a 2 inch shorter wheelbase for snappier handling one up, with slightly higher pegs and seat for more lean angle.

So for us who never ride two up the ST does have its positive attributes vis a vis the new GT.

I'm guessing the GT is better at two up riding and it sounds like the ABS has been improved.

One thing I never thought the ST really needed is the Traction Control available on the GT...but maybe that massive 5hp increase in power requires it. [lol]

The ESA option, according to owners of other BMWs with it, is not the "home run gotta have it" feature that it sounds like it should be.

#38 ·
Sorry, obviously I am bugging people on this forum with my ineptitude.

Let me rephrase my post.

1. The ST has no fork gaiters - the GT should have added gaiters.

2. The ST has no headlight protection - the GT should have added headlight protection.

3. The ST has a too-short front fender - the GT should have a longer fender.

Any other horrors I've inflicted?

#42 ·
I can only speak for myself, and because I live in a dry area of the country, I see no need for the three above mentioned features. I try to avoid sand, mud and kicked up gravel whenever possible. But, your additions should be relatively inexpensive aftermarket purchases.
Hey Mark, I'm cheap and look at these items as low-cost insurance.

I install these items on every bike I buy and haven't replace fork seals, headlights, oil coolers or other vulnerable bits in over 300,000 km.

I find most projectiles come from oncoming cars and trucks rather than the road surface itself. If you've ever heard that loud "ping' on your helmet shield after following an 18-wheeler you know what your fork tube experiences from time to time.

I do admit to epoxying back on my Concours mirror after a losing duel with a Turkey Vulture but that's for another day:).

Peter

#44 ·
'11ST 16L nominal tank, 410.2km, refill 16.22L, 58km with the light on. I 'hope' the GT can beat that. 2,200km on a trip last weekend, fuel average 3.96L/100km, at 110-120km/h. And a 25ish girl was overheard, wow nice bike.

Why would I want to replace it.....

Reactions: TelemarkTumalo
#46 ·
Hey Richard, go anywhere interesting on your 2,200km ride? [;)]

Reactions: IanA
#48 ·
Yes I did Donnie, a wacky little place called The Channon......

Reactions: IanA
#54 ·
IMHO I see very little virtue in this thread because for all practical purposes, they are they same bike. Sure, one has slight improvements and it may have taken a step backward in a few areas, but I take heart in the fact that BMW is at least trying to "improve" the breed. I suppose they could have still called it the ST, but by calling it the GT, they brought it in line with the rest of the line (or at least the rest of the K series).

Besides that, it's a moot point. The fact is that if you want a new F800 that is not an adventure bike then you choose between the unfaired R and the faired GT. It's like argueing if BMW's should have ABS. Like it or not, you cannot buy a new one without it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

#56 ·
IMHO I see very little virtue in this thread because for all practical purposes, they are they same bike.
Excellent point Steve. A combined ST and GT section in this forum would save me a lot of flitting time. [:)] I, and I'm sure others, flit back & forth between both areas on a regular basis.

#59 ·
ugh, spare me the posts on the best way to fix an ez-pass to my windshield with electrical tape, the delicate intricacies of motor-oil or how to reshape my seat for the next iron-butt marathon. Same bike? sure. But same biker?

d.
Flywheel, are you a MOG[8D]

#62 ·
My ST vs GT.

GT screen is bigger than ST - but my V-max screen is bigger still
GT has larger fairing than ST - Never noticed the fairing to be an issue but I added handgaurds to keep rain off
GT has more electronic bits - my 24K ST service was £1600, the last thing I need is more cheaply made stuff that goes wrong
GT has comfier seat - I have a custom gel seat which is better still
GT has straighter sitting position - I commute through heavy traffic - I like the sportier position
GT has better luggage - my ST has Givi luggage [8D]
GT comes in a really nice orange colour - [:(!]

hmmm, trade in for pretty colour?

#64 ·
Hi

You really need to ride the GT and ST back to back. My friend and I swopped bikes 2012 ST and 2013 GT. The ST has heavier wheels and shorter wheel base but the GT is feels better by virtue of the lighter wheels. The braking has unbelievable feel and the abs is superb, better than me. The motorway behaviour is brilliant, little wind buffeting and I get 62.8 mpg (Irish gallon) or 22.4 km per litre. Very comfortable for 5'7" person, standard seat, 9 and a half hour ride a day no problem. My last 4 bikes were Transalp, GS1100, GS 1200, GS1200 lowered with standard seat. I do need a slight rise on the bars, and a higher screen otherwise exceptional. I am glad I bought the GT as I got a good deal just €1000 more than a used ST and much more kit.

Best bike since my '75 RD 350, I have been around bikes for a while, the GT is my14th bike so far since 1970 (missed 14 years for marraige reasons)

Current ride, 2013 GT - ESA, ABS, heated grips, standard seat, computer, traction control, crash bungs, swingarm proctector, givi topbox, BMW tankbag, Zumo 550 and tracker.

#66 ·
I've owned both, back to back.

There is very little in real terms that are different. The riding position IMO is better on the GT and I believe she rides a little better. The tank range is lower on the GT as I get virtually the same MPG as my ST but have a smaller tank. I have yet to notice the supposed 5bhp increase in engine power and think the performance is exactly the same (probably why I'm getting the same mpg).

As has been said earlier in the thread the GT is just the natural evolution of the ST. New buyers do not have the choice of which one they want. it's the GT or used.

But I have to say that some forum members are criticising the GT having never owned or ridden one and based purely on the fact they own an ST. Why don't you ask those that have owned both which they would buy given the choice of both models new. My money would be going on the GT. Not because it is a huge improvement, but because it is a small improvement over the ST in a few areas

#71 ·
But I have to say that some forum members are criticising the GT having never owned or ridden one and based purely on the fact they own an ST. Why don't you ask those that have owned both which they would buy given the choice of both models new. My money would be going on the GT. Not because it is a huge improvement, but because it is a small improvement over the ST in a few areas
Yeah Pat! This is what it boils down to. If having the choice of the two, I would go with the GT again. And further to your point here, you don't hear the GT riders saying "naw, BMW ruined it, go back to the ST." I put plenty of miles on the ST and it was good enough (even with it's quirks) that I didn't even think about another bike, but went right to the GT. Easy sale.

#67 ·
Pat, I own an ST, have test ridden a GT (orange), I confess I did not notice much difference. However by all reports I read and hear the GT as you say is that bit better than the ST. Would I move from the ST to the GT, no not really, I like the quirkiness of the ST the occasional false Neutrals (help keep me sharp), the right and left indicators I love, the blue is the blue I really like, despite the name I have given the bike (Moonlight Shadow).

However if I was given the GT I would not hesitate, flipping well yes mate[:D] thank you..................

#73 ·
I loved my ST and love my GT. If not for the orange color, I would have purchased the ST and saved some $$$$$. To me, comparing an ST to a GT is like comparing oranges to oranges. Pun intended [;)]

#82 ·
Do we forgive Dan[8)] well do we[|)]

Bill I have had my lay down, I have thought about it, okay, instead of painting I will stripe it with go faster Orange stripes[lol][lol][lol]

#83 ·
I can't compare or comment between ST and GT. More the point, I'm like a couple of riders here coming down from an (1150)RT and researching. Getting too old for the weight of the beast, lovely though it is, and miss the nimbler bikes of my youth - when an 800/900 was big stuff and ample. Wife and I don't do lots of miles, just need a good 20/30 mile commuter, all rounder for 'local' riding two up, and longer solo trips. Long tour days probably now over :-(
I've been all around the houses looking at the different makes and models. Keep coming back to the F800 which seems perfect (...if only it were a boxer, but hey).
What I hadn't appreciated was the similarities between the ST and GT, only the differences and had only been looking at the GT and finances. From comments, a slightly older (cheaper) ST might be the way in and I know realise I need to try both.
Have found some really good info on here, so just wanted to say thanks. I'll very likely be around for some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.