BMW F800 Forum banner

Cornering – Scared of leaning the bike. What Can I do?

67K views 127 replies 36 participants last post by  Streety 
#1 ·
I am pants at cornering, and I want to learn how to do it like Rossi.

I am not that keen at getting my knee down as I have a large scab on my left one when I fell over laying the patio 3 weeks ago.

The problem is I am scared at leaning the bike too much. I am even more scared of crashing and hurting myself and damaging my bike in the process of learning.

Does anyone have any “sensible” tips to overcome this fear?

I think my positioning is OK. Someone told me to push on the peg you want to lean with, but that doesn’t really do anything I can see,

Any ideas.

#40 ·
Yep, I put soccer so's our intrepid exploring relatives could understand

#46 ·
And to add to that we Londoners do not sound anything like Dick Van **** out of Mary Popins..........Cor Blimey, you know what I mean!

And another thing, Easteders. This more than likely as realistic as Dallas.

I mean who gets into there house and poors a great big shot of whisky as JR did?

Well this is about as realistic as everyone drinking in the same pub, all working on their door step and no one has a bloody washing machine too.

I'm way off the beaten track, sorry!

#57 ·
Streety/Greyerbeard,

Care to share the Secret? 100% is great!

#61 ·
I've done some of those police weekend sessions.
Last one was a few evenings followed by a Saturday observed ride.
I try and do one every few years to see what bad habits I've picked up and what new advice they have.
Always interesting to discuss the left or right foot down at lights opinions [:D]
(I'm a right foot down rider)

Definatley a worth while session.

#72 ·
I am pants at cornering, and I want to learn how to do it like Rossi.

The problem is I am scared at leaning the bike too much. I am even more scared of crashing and hurting myself and damaging my bike in the process of learning.

Does anyone have any "sensible" tips to overcome this fear?
Get yourself to a BMW advanced rider/track day (we have them regularly here)

Some simple advice;- You must relax completely and have total confidence in the bike, because the fact is, the rider will chicken out LONG before the bike or its tyres (tires) adhesion does

#76 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.