Dropped and scratched - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Sorely dented pride today. I managed to drop my pride and joy after I'd taken it out of the garage

I was busy worrying about work and the side stand didn't quite catch before I climbed off and stupidly I didn't look to make sure. As I went to climb off of it, the bike started leaning over and then trapped me under it -

I had to just sit there on the ground until my fella came out to find out where I was! I didn't want to wriggle around and get my leg out from under the bike as I didn't want more scratches! I wouldn't have minded but I only booked it into the garage the other day to have crash protectors put on it.

Only minor damage but what a horrible way to learn a lesson. Got a small gouge in the lower fairing, scratches on the side stand and some scratches on the end of the handlebar

So cross with myself, my ankle is a little sore and I've got a cut on my hand but bugger, how stupid could I be!!! Oh well, just having a vent!

2. Thanks Flook thanked for this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark H
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    As we would say in Oz, 'Bugger!'
    Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. ABS, BMW panniers & topcase, trip computer, clear indicators, K&N filter, Accelerator Module, Ricor Intiminators, SW-Motech frame and R&G front axle sliders, coolant level check light, GS911 

5. Like F800STIG liked this post.

07-31-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that!! Kudos to you for posting about it though, such things are best forgotten. Glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly. I remember always being taught to 'kick' the side stand forwards after engaging it, just to be sure... now I know why...

I learned a similar lesson on my last bike when I parked it on a slight incline to close the gate behind me, side stand down fine but didn't turn the front wheel to the left... so the bike rolled forward, off the side stand, and flopped on its side. ... Managed to catch the worst of it but it's a mistake I'll never make again!

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokkybear View Post
    As we would say in Oz, 'Bugger!'
    That was pretty much what thought when it was going down! Looks like a trip to the dealer this afternoon now to see what they can do when it goes in to make it nice again!

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardST View Post
    I remember always being taught to 'kick' the side stand forwards after engaging it, just to be sure...
    That is such a good idea! I felt so foolish. Sitting there looking all pathetic! I can now but boy was I cross. It's funny you should mention about parking on an incline as I was only googling that last night to see what people thought was best! Sometimes it's good when we make mistakes because you're right we don't make them again! Pleased you didn't suffer too much damage. It's mainly the mark on the fairing that bothers me, as the kick stand is bound to get scratched. Oh well, lesson learned

9. Like RichardST liked this post.

Real Name
    Phill
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Bad luck Sarah,
    After a good buff & some black touch up on the side stand, you'll be the only one who'll ever notice.
    A tip to avoid further unwanted tipping. That side stand foot is tiny, never put it down on other than tarmac/rock/concrete.
    Many have seen their bike topple over as the side stand buried itself in soft earth.
    Chin-up & carry on. Pip pip.

11. Thanks spell thanked for this post.

Real Name
    aL
    04-10-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    its ok sarah.

i one time got off the bike and totally forgot the kickstand yay for panniers taking the blunt of the fall
    my gear: shoei multitec helmet; Dainese textile D-system D-dry jacket, pants, and gloves; JoeRocket boots
    my bike: champagne f800st; remus hexacone; bmw panniers, garmin nuvi 550; airhawk; 

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Black touch up I can manage! Problem is I'll be paranoid now lol

14. Like F800STIG liked this post.

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
    yay for panniers taking the blunt of the fall
    - wish I'd had mine on at the time. They obviously have more uses than one! Awesome

Real Name
    aL
    04-10-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    yah the panniers get dinged up but i cover it with stickers

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...IMG_3088_2.jpg
    my gear: shoei multitec helmet; Dainese textile D-system D-dry jacket, pants, and gloves; JoeRocket boots
    my bike: champagne f800st; remus hexacone; bmw panniers, garmin nuvi 550; airhawk; 

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Improvisation I like! No one would ever know...... well, except me of course now love the colour of your bike. My favourite!

Real Name
    Devon
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F650GS (Twin)
    Don't worry Sarah, you're not the only one ... Look

19. Like de100kb, spell liked this post.

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    I don't feel quite so bad now I did feel an idiot at the time. Thank you everyone.

21. Like de100kb, RichardST, DWS, F800STIG liked this post.

Real Name
    Mark H
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    When using the side stand I always leave the bike in gear and let the bike rest against the engine compression before leaning it onto the stand. If it's steep, I'll always point uphill. And when touring, I carry a 4" piece of aluminium channel in my jacket pocket to put under the stand if the ground looks dodgy or it might rain.
    Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. ABS, BMW panniers & topcase, trip computer, clear indicators, K&N filter, Accelerator Module, Ricor Intiminators, SW-Motech frame and R&G front axle sliders, coolant level check light, GS911 

23. Like F800STIG liked this post.

Real Name
    Gerry
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Sarah, sorry to hear about the drop. If it makes you feel any better, I did a similar thing on Saturday. I went to back the bike out of the garage on Saturday. I was not on the bike but walking next to it on the side opposite the sidestand. I had a new pair of riding boots on and when I yanked it off the stand towards me, I stumbled. The boot kind of twisted and next think I knew the bike was going down. Thank goodness for the panniers and a padded seat cushion that happened to be on the floor next to the front end. Only thing damaged was my pride when my wife ran to the garage wondering what all the noise was.

Also like you, I have the crash protectors but not installed yet. Another reminder to put them on before luck runs out.
    2009 F800ST, Night Blue Metallic, ABS, OBC, BMW Panniers, Heated Grips
    1999 SV650 - The Naked Version in Red
    2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Hearing stories of other people dropping their bikes does make you feel better Gerry, not because you want their bikes damaged more the fact that you don't want to feel like the only one! I think it's the embarrassment you feel. Probably a good job that it was first thing in the morning so not so many people would have seen Bless 7am!!!

Real Name
    Dan H
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Sarah,

In addition to the fact that we've all been there one way or the other, I'd like to add a word of praise. You are HARD CORE!

What struck me about your original post is that instead of worrying about yourself, you went to extra trouble and grief by not trying to free your leg. Why? Because you are so hard core that you would rather squish your leg than scratch the bike. My hat, helmet, and gloves are off to you. You deserve a trophy. Seriously. I'd be on here whining about my leg in no time flat.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1 + Remote Audio, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena SMH10 & SR10, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei RF-1000, Gerbing's jacket liner. 

27. Thanks spell thanked for this post.
    Like ST404, drduct, pammmy, DH63, RichardST and 2 others liked this post.
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Condolences, dearie.
    I'd just put Buell lowered pegs on mine when the side stand became an issue and it ungracefully fell over and broke the cheap Buell lowered peg. Double Dang!
    I don't think I've dumped it on the right side yet but eventually will.
    Like we tell all the others, "Happens in the best of Families".

29. Like spell liked this post.

Real Name
    Tonya
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by danham View Post
    Sarah,

In addition to the fact that we've all been there one way or the other, I'd like to add a word of praise. You are HARD CORE!

What struck me about your original post is that instead of worrying about yourself, you went to extra trouble and grief by not trying to free your leg. Why? Because you are so hard core that you would rather squish your leg than scratch the bike. My hat, helmet, and gloves are off to you. You deserve a trophy. Seriously. I'd be on here whining about my leg in no time flat.

-dan
    Dan, TOTALLY agree!!! She used her leg to save her bike and limit the damage!! When I dropped mine on near stop, I jumped away!! I thought I was hard core, but I think not now!! I like you, Sarah!! (Oh, and it doesn't hurt that my daughter has the same name, albeit without the H!! Still like you!!)
    Blue Metallic 2007 F800ST 

31. Like pammmy, redcar56, spell liked this post.

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Ahhhh, thank you everyone for being so kind! You've really helped make me feel better about it. Good news is that I went back to the dealers for help and they think I'm overreacting about the damage . Ordered a new set of RG Bar Ends as mine are scratched but coloured them in with marker pen until they are fitted so the damage is disguised!! They think the valet guy can probably make a decent job of touching up the fairing and as my legs saved it from too much damage the scratches are too bad. Problem is until I can dash by and see him the scratches will probably irritate me lol. As for the stand well, bit of black touch up and hey good as new!!

Love the hardcore comment. Didn't feel that way at the time! Think it's just been one of those days as some silly arse tried to take me out by pulling out without looking and was very sheepish when I blasted my horn at him! Meanwhile back at home I finally perfected the art of getting my bike on the centre stand, thanks to a few useful tips from the dealer!

Happy days - key smiling everyone

33. Like pammmy, F800STIG liked this post.

Real Name
    Lorraine
    05-18-13
    Soo know that feeling Sarah, a few years ago brand new bike just 300 miles on it, car jumped the lights i used too much front brake, overbalanced and down it went, but was a very heavy bike so boyfriend helped me get it to side of road after i thought i had stopped shaking enough we got back on ..went to pull away and dropped it again !! Doh...£2000 of damage and a very dented pride

Real Name
    Martin
    03-06-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    So sorry to hear that, we all do it, I dropped my Goldwing within 5 minutes of it being delivered to me, not good, but remember we all learn from our mistakes

Real Name
    Sylvain Savard
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    When you think about it, bikes were designed to be dropped! If not they would be called car. Welcome to the club!

37. Like TelemarkTumalo liked this post.

Real Name
    Andy
    06-22-14
    Look on the bright side - at least nobody was watching! Unlike me...when I'm sure hospital security, on their surveillance cameras, watched me drop mine in the parking deck!

Cheers,
    Andy
    2013 R1200GS(LC) Alpine White
    2009 BMW F800ST Midnight Blue (Traded), 2009 Aprilia SC250 Cube (Sold!), 2010 BMW F800ST Champagne Metallic (the S.O.) 

Real Name
    Pam
    06-02-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '02 F650GS (Single)
    I'm definitely another member of this club!

My only claim is I would've been HardCore and saved the bike with me except she fell the other way

40. Like DWS liked this post.

05-26-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Popular topic...which says something about us, doesn't it? My story is I got the bike into the garage, kicked the sidestand down, but it wasn't all the way. I dismounted without checking and the bike started down...couldn't stop it. Luckily I was adjacent to a set of wooden stairs leading to the exit door. I sat on the stairs while the bike slowly descended on me. I was now stuck. Fortunately my cell phone was in the pack on my luggage rack, and I could reach it. More good fortune...my wife was in the house. I called her. "Honey...could you come out to the garage...right NOW?" She did...we lifted the bike...no damage, but what if it'd happened in the middle of nowhere?

Eek.

42. Like pammmy, DWS liked this post.

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Loz View Post
    Soo know that feeling Sarah, a few years ago brand new bike just 300 miles on it, car jumped the lights i used too much front brake, overbalanced and down it went, but was a very heavy bike so boyfriend helped me get it to side of road after i thought i had stopped shaking enough we got back on ..went to pull away and dropped it again !! Doh...£2000 of damage and a very dented pride
    Oh now that really is crap I bet you were gutted. My bike is relatively new - still only 350 miles on it but wow, £2000!!!!!!!!! I'd have been beside myself! Poor you!

Redcar56 - ouch!

Savs1701 - love it! Thank you for your welcome, although I wish I hadn't joined lol.

av8npa - I don't think anyone was watching but there could have been a stealth watcher ready to giggle at me!

pammmy and flyrider - there's so many of us aren't there. Not so exclusive as we feel. flyrider, that was kind of how it happened to me except I ended up sitting on the side of the road! Pleased you suffered no damage

05-26-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    I almost put it down yesterday. Rode into my usual gas station, but there were cars at almost all the pumps, and I had to circle around to get to a pump. It was one of those slow u-turns, that I DO practice, but I wasn't as focused because part of my attention was diverted by a decision over which pump I could get to. Had to put a foot down. No danger, no real risk of a fall, but to me putting a foot down is like standing up in a hall crowded with expert riders and shouting, "Hey, I'm a noob...watch me make a fool of myself!" I'm not a noob really, but situations like this are a damper for the ego, to be sure.

Real Name
    Tonya
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by spell View Post
    Meanwhile back at home I finally perfected the art of getting my bike on the centre stand, thanks to a few useful tips from the dealer!
    Okay, now I'm extremely impressed with you!!! I have NOT mastered the center stand!!!
    Blue Metallic 2007 F800ST 

12 Hours Ago
    Hey Spell, I saw this thread yesterday and you seem to be coming out this experience in good shape

As everyone has said, it's gonna happen at some point

My first bike I dropped within a month due to wanting to become a flash Harry and be able to blip the throttle on downshifts whilst braking. I basically managed to do a not so elegant hippo stop and hadn't realised the camber of the road was massively off. Due to my poor execution the bike was off balance and even my long legs weren't quite giraffe like enough to cover the off camber drop and bang she went That was a b**ch to get back up.

The other drop I had was when I was wearing leather soled shoes. Don't try this unless you want to look Italian cool until dropping your bike I got home and was in my driveway and thought I'd put the sidestand down. Now the question was, did my foot slip on the stand and not push it out, or did I plain 'n' simple forget to put it down? What's for certain is that I put my bike down! It was midnight so nobody got to see my shame

The great thing about my first bike was that it was a 650GS Dakar. It hardly picked up a scratch when being dropped As we know the F8ST isn't going to fair so well. For the 4.5yrs of F8ST ownership I didn't drop my bike but had a couple of close sideways moments with gravel on a twisty hilly driveway and cold tyres (possibly with fuel on them) pulling out of petrol station.

I'm now on a K12S and dropping manure wondering if and when it's going to happen! ££££s!!

Keep it shiny side up now
    Now an imposter of the K1200S variety  

47. Thanks spell thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Greg
    02-18-14
    Motorcycle
    '09 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    well this has been beat to death to some extent already, but allow me to continue the flogging. you've had plenty of nice comments and i'll add one more bit of folk wisdom: you are now in group 1 of the 2 categories of motorcyclists: those who have dropped their bike and those who will drop their bike. There are no other groups. I was totally pissed when i carelessly let my F800 hit the ground and took a good long time getting over it. On the other hand, when i first dropped my much heavier RT, i said to myself, no biggie, got that out of the way. Ride on Sarah and enjoy your bike-you obviously didn't buy it to be a garage queen. Good for you!
    "The reason i do it is because if you get it wrong it'll kill you. If you think it's too dangerous then go home and cut your grass and leave us to it." Guy Martin
    '08 F800ST w/ Remus and HID, '09 R1200RT w/HID. 

49. Thanks spell thanked for this post.
    Like F800STIG liked this post.

07-31-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    E-Tech Sill Guard is pretty good for covering up scratches to panniers (& preventing damage in the strike zone). Cheap too, and you get a lot in a roll. Spend some time cutting it to the right shape, and be sure to warm the area & the patch with a hairdrier before applying.

51. Thanks spell thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Pat
    05-12-14
    Hi I have also tried to hold up my GS 1100 by putting my foot down on a round stone, which did what all good round stone do roll. Had to wait for another rider came by to help me lift it up.

But my brother had a fall over to beat fall overs, it happened when flared jeans came out the first time. Picture this, all your biker mates are chilling in your mates garden on a sunny afternoon, we hear him giving it stick blipping to change down to first and into the garden. Came to a perfect stop, lifted foot off the footrest to put it down, but flared jeans and kick starter were now entwined.
    He stayed upright for at least 10 seconds followed by a slow collapse into a heap. The laughter drowned out sound of the crash of metal and ground. You cannot believe how difficult it is to pick a bike up when you are doubled up with laughter.

53. Like de100kb, spell liked this post.

Real Name
    Andrew
    03-05-14
    I once saw a biker pull up to the signals and just fall over...Said he usually rode with a sidecar and forgot to put his foot down.

55. Like spell liked this post.

Real Name
    Mark H
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Hey Pat - I, too, got caught out by my flared jeans in the mid 70's. Stopped to say hello to my colleagues, then kick-started the T500 Suzuki to park it. Pulled up, and of course the kick starter had gone up the leg of my jeans. When I went to put my foot down, the inevitable happened! Fortunately back in the day chrome crash bars were de rigeur and no damage done.

57. Like F800STIG liked this post.

Real Name
    Donnie
    1 Day Ago
    I got a mate who crashed a dirt bike through an electric fence and got wrapped up and couldn't zzt get zzt out zzt until zzt he zzt got zzt pliers zzt from zzt kit zzt and cut zzt the zzt wire!!!! but unfortunately i didn't see it...

Mokkybear in flares...uh-oh! Still bust 'em out on the ST mate?
    '08 Silver F800ST. Hot grips, OBC, ABS, centre stand, tinted screen, wider mirrors, throttle lock, MFW Vario foot pegs + clutch lever extender, hand made side stand pad enlarger, OEM sports cases. Still to go; front forks, seat alteration, bright lights ... 

59. Like F800STIG liked this post.

Real Name
    Mark H
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I cut a dashing figure in them Donnie, back in the day, but haven't been tempted to try them on in the last few decades.

61. Like F800STIG, Discflight liked this post.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Interesting post is this, thanks Spell.

How many of you out there reckon or think the peg to push down the side stand is too short. Indeed has anyone modified this, if,so what did you use and what length away from the stand was it.

That small peg is a pain to get to.

I have als dropped mine, I used a sticker to cover the damage, now I have repaired it and painted it with touch up paint from Nippy Normans, cannot see where what is what unless I get real close
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other site users/posts

Real Name
    Charles
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Just to make you all feel like hero's again here is my story.

In the late 60’s I lived in Van Nuys California, a suburb of Los Angles in the San Fernando Valley.
    I built a chopper using a 500 Triumph. When I finished the only thing left of the Triumph was the engine and wheels.
    I even built my own frame. It had a leaf spring front end and I created a skull gas tank in fiberglass. The sissy bar I made was crisscrossed with spider webs with a big spider in the middle. When my buddy saw what I was building he cast me a rat that we mounted crawling out from under the engine. So, like it or not it was damn sure unique.

When I finished the bike up on a Friday evening the very first place I had to ride to was down Sepulveda Blvd. In those days Sepulveda Blvd. was one of the cruising capitals of the world. Everyone with a hot rod or custom bike would cruise down the strip showing off for the girls. At one end of the strip was a Steak n shake drive in. In those days the Steak n Shake’s had parking spaces with speakers that you placed your order at and a little filly in a short skirt would deliver it. Everyone would cruise through the parking lot until there was an open parking spot, get out and check out all the other rides and stand around shooting the bull and telling lies. I made a couple of passes through the lot and the bike was cool enough that everyone including those still in their cars got out to get a closer look. There were even some whistles and thumbs up. It was one of the proudest moments of my life; I was on top of the world and grinning from ear to ear. After several putts around the lot showing off I pulled into a parking spot, went to put my foot down but got my pant leg hung up on the kick start arm and in slow motion down I went. It took a few minutes for a couple of guys to come pull the bike off me because everyone was laughing so hard. There were several people literally rolling around on the ground holding their sides. So in the matter of a couple of minutes I went from proudest moment in my life to the most embarrassing.

64. Thanks Flook thanked for this post.
    Like Merg44, Discflight, pogi, DWS, F800STIG and 2 others liked this post.

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya N. View Post
    Okay, now I'm extremely impressed with you!!! I have NOT mastered the center stand!!!
    Trouble is though, I can only do it when my boots are dry and man does it rain a lot here

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    I'm right there with you on the peg being too small, I always have to really look for it!

Had some crash protectors put on at the weekend and new R&G bar ends so hopefully if I have any more daft moments hopefully there'll be less damage!!!

Real Name
    Dylan
    06-05-14
    I dropped mine the day after I got it. It was raining, the lane was slippery and I was trying to wheel the bike back into my back garden when I lost my footing. Fortunately the bike didn't go right over, it fell against the wall on the entrance and only made a very small scratch. I thought no one would notice, but I've had loads of people ask what the tiny scratch (less than 1cm long!) on that little bit of fairing by the seat came from!

I dropped my Cagiva Mito twice. Once while trying to get it onto the back wheel stand to do some chain maintenance, the other time while wheeling it along I lost my footing and over it went. The second time I broke the brake lever off. Very irritating.

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by alioth View Post
    I dropped mine the day after I got it. It was raining, the lane was slippery and I was trying to wheel the bike back into my back garden when I lost my footing. Fortunately the bike didn't go right over, it fell against the wall on the entrance and only made a very small scratch. I thought no one would notice, but I've had loads of people ask what the tiny scratch (less than 1cm long!) on that little bit of fairing by the seat came from!

I dropped my Cagiva Mito twice. Once while trying to get it onto the back wheel stand to do some chain maintenance, the other time while wheeling it along I lost my footing and over it went. The second time I broke the brake lever off. Very irritating.
    The problem is though, once you've dropped them you've always got that little bit of doubt when you get it out... A small niggle had mine mainly all sorted now with crash protectors but still worry everytime I get it out the garage!

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by alioth View Post

One word really "ooops"
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other site users/posts

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by spell View Post
    The problem is though, once you've dropped them you've always got that little bit of doubt when you get it out... A small niggle had mine mainly all sorted now with crash protectors but still worry everytime I get it out the garage!
    Then the problem will be, if you do drop it for what ever reason the crash protectors will be scratched and you may want them repaired or replaced. On the other hand you may consider it as battle scars

Real Name
    Sarah
    03-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Ha ha cheeky, "oops", more like "oh 5h**!!!"

Battle scars I might accept when he'd done a few thousand miles!!!

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Ooops sounds better, who is counting the miles. Hey look everyone, the bars may be battered and bruised but the bike is fine, nothing to worry about folks, the show is over, and, you should have seen the other guy, bulldozed he was, like a spell had been cast (and was).

Real Name
    Rhonda
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Don't feel badly. Here's what happened to me a couple of months ago:

I was on my way home from the gym, I noticed that traffic was backed up for about a half mile from the light at which I normally turn left. This is a bitch of a light, and I realized how long I'd be sitting and waiting, so I performed a series of stupid actions that ended up with me and Eyegore lying down in the middle of a busy Houston street lane.

Here's how it happened:
    The only way I could remove myself from the mess ahead was to U-Turn, and then cut through the neighborhood to get to another good route home. And that was the bad decision that started the avalanche of suck.

1) The left turn lane I went into is marked as "no U-Turns." A few of us decided to ignore that.
    2) A Prius worked his way into the lane between me and the car in front of me, so I decided to "assert" myself and work my way over so I could still turn, possibly before he did.
    3) I let the Prius go first, and then promptly popped the clutch and stalled.
    4) I immediately restarted the bike, and I'm not exactly sure why, but it started tipping to the right. I can usually keep the bike upright, but karma clearly wanted to bitch slap me for attempting a U-Turn in a no U-Turn lane. Next thing I know, both Eyegore and I are on our sides.

I popped right up and made sure no oncoming traffic was about to kill me. Seeing that someone had stopped, I attempted to lift Eyegore. A guy in an SUV asked if I was OK, and helped me get Eyegore back up. Another lady asked if I was OK. Houston drivers, apparently, aren't always a$$holes.

There's no damage to me. My helmet never hit the ground. My jacket armor did its job. I hit the ground shoulder first, and didn't feel a thing. The only thing bruised is my ego.

Eyegore suffered minimal damage. I lost one of my moto lights. It's an auxilliary light, and replacing it is not mandatory, nor is it something I have to do NOW. I just need to safely stow the dangling wire. There's no damage to the fairing, mirror or turn signal. Life's good.

So here's my lesson: You can be a rider for 10 years and still make stupid decisions that end with you shoving broken plastic and lighting into your pocket before riding away. I am thankful that my Dumbass Fee is only going to be $385 for a new set of moto lights. Eventually. I am also thankful people stopped to help, and that I am OK.
    2007 Blue F800 ST, heated grips, ABS, Sargent seat, MRA Variotouring shield. 

74. Like F800STIG, DWS, Flook liked this post.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Thanks for sharing that, I hope Eyegore is now safe and well..

Real Name
    Rhonda
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Flook View Post
    Thanks for sharing that, I hope Eyegore is now safe and well..
    Eyegore's doing very well, thanks. I know I was a little nervous the first couple of times I rode after that. I've gotten over it. I hope to get the motolights replaced in the next couple of months.
    2007 Blue F800 ST, heated grips, ABS, Sargent seat, MRA Variotouring shield. 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast