BMW F800 Forum banner

Dropped and scratched

5K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  Flook 
#1 ·
Sorely dented pride today. I managed to drop my pride and joy after I'd taken it out of the garage :-(

I was busy worrying about work and the side stand didn't quite catch before I climbed off and stupidly I didn't look to make sure. As I went to climb off of it, the bike started leaning over and then trapped me under it - [:I]

I had to just sit there on the ground until my fella came out to find out where I was! I didn't want to wriggle around and get my leg out from under the bike as I didn't want more scratches! I wouldn't have minded but I only booked it into the garage the other day to have crash protectors put on it[:(].

Only minor damage but what a horrible way to learn a lesson. Got a small gouge in the lower fairing, scratches on the side stand and some scratches on the end of the handlebar [:(!]

So cross with myself, my ankle is a little sore and I've got a cut on my hand but bugger, how stupid could I be!!! Oh well, just having a vent!

#33 ·
Hi I have also tried to hold up my GS 1100 by putting my foot down on a round stone, which did what all good round stone do roll. Had to wait for another rider came by to help me lift it up.

But my brother had a fall over to beat fall overs, it happened when flared jeans came out the first time. Picture this, all your biker mates are chilling in your mates garden on a sunny afternoon, we hear him giving it stick blipping to change down to first and into the garden. Came to a perfect stop, lifted foot off the footrest to put it down, but flared jeans and kick starter were now entwined.
He stayed upright for at least 10 seconds followed by a slow collapse into a heap. The laughter drowned out sound of the crash of metal and ground. You cannot believe how difficult it is to pick a bike up when you are doubled up with laughter.

#35 ·
Hey Pat - I, too, got caught out by my flared jeans in the mid 70's. Stopped to say hello to my colleagues, then kick-started the T500 Suzuki to park it. Pulled up, and of course the kick starter had gone up the leg of my jeans. When I went to put my foot down, the inevitable happened! Fortunately back in the day chrome crash bars were de rigeur and no damage done. [lol]

Reactions: F800STIG
#36 ·
I got a mate who crashed a dirt bike through an electric fence and got wrapped up and couldn't zzt get zzt out zzt until zzt he zzt got zzt pliers zzt from zzt kit zzt and cut zzt the zzt wire!!!! [lol] but unfortunately i didn't see it...

Mokkybear in flares...uh-oh![lol][lol] Still bust 'em out on the ST mate? [lol]

Reactions: F800STIG
#38 ·
Interesting post is this, thanks Spell.

How many of you out there reckon or think the peg to push down the side stand is too short. Indeed has anyone modified this, if,so what did you use and what length away from the stand was it.

That small peg is a pain to get to.

I have als dropped mine, I used a sticker to cover the damage, now I have repaired it and painted it with touch up paint from Nippy Normans, cannot see where what is what unless I get real close[:D]

#39 ·
Just to make you all feel like hero's again here is my story.

In the late 60’s I lived in Van Nuys California, a suburb of Los Angles in the San Fernando Valley.
I built a chopper using a 500 Triumph. When I finished the only thing left of the Triumph was the engine and wheels.
I even built my own frame. It had a leaf spring front end and I created a skull gas tank in fiberglass. The sissy bar I made was crisscrossed with spider webs with a big spider in the middle. When my buddy saw what I was building he cast me a rat that we mounted crawling out from under the engine. So, like it or not it was damn sure unique.

When I finished the bike up on a Friday evening the very first place I had to ride to was down Sepulveda Blvd. In those days Sepulveda Blvd. was one of the cruising capitals of the world. Everyone with a hot rod or custom bike would cruise down the strip showing off for the girls. At one end of the strip was a Steak n shake drive in. In those days the Steak n Shake’s had parking spaces with speakers that you placed your order at and a little filly in a short skirt would deliver it. Everyone would cruise through the parking lot until there was an open parking spot, get out and check out all the other rides and stand around shooting the bull and telling lies. I made a couple of passes through the lot and the bike was cool enough that everyone including those still in their cars got out to get a closer look. There were even some whistles and thumbs up. It was one of the proudest moments of my life; I was on top of the world and grinning from ear to ear. After several putts around the lot showing off I pulled into a parking spot, went to put my foot down but got my pant leg hung up on the kick start arm and in slow motion down I went. It took a few minutes for a couple of guys to come pull the bike off me because everyone was laughing so hard. There were several people literally rolling around on the ground holding their sides. So in the matter of a couple of minutes I went from proudest moment in my life to the most embarrassing.

#41 ·
I'm right there with you on the peg being too small, I always have to really look for it!

Had some crash protectors put on at the weekend and new R&G bar ends so hopefully if I have any more daft moments hopefully there'll be less damage!!!:rolleyes:

#42 ·
I dropped mine the day after I got it. It was raining, the lane was slippery and I was trying to wheel the bike back into my back garden when I lost my footing. Fortunately the bike didn't go right over, it fell against the wall on the entrance and only made a very small scratch. I thought no one would notice, but I've had loads of people ask what the tiny scratch (less than 1cm long!) on that little bit of fairing by the seat came from!

I dropped my Cagiva Mito twice. Once while trying to get it onto the back wheel stand to do some chain maintenance, the other time while wheeling it along I lost my footing and over it went. The second time I broke the brake lever off. Very irritating.

#43 ·
The problem is though, once you've dropped them you've always got that little bit of doubt when you get it out... A small niggle [uhoh] had mine mainly all sorted now with crash protectors but still worry everytime I get it out the garage! [:I]

#47 ·
Ooops sounds better, who is counting the miles. Hey look everyone, the bars may be battered and bruised but the bike is fine, nothing to worry about folks, the show is over, and, you should have seen the other guy, bulldozed he was, like a spell had been cast (and was[lol]).

#48 ·
Don't feel badly. Here's what happened to me a couple of months ago:

I was on my way home from the gym, I noticed that traffic was backed up for about a half mile from the light at which I normally turn left. This is a bitch of a light, and I realized how long I'd be sitting and waiting, so I performed a series of stupid actions that ended up with me and Eyegore lying down in the middle of a busy Houston street lane.

Here's how it happened:
The only way I could remove myself from the mess ahead was to U-Turn, and then cut through the neighborhood to get to another good route home. And that was the bad decision that started the avalanche of suck.

1) The left turn lane I went into is marked as "no U-Turns." A few of us decided to ignore that.
2) A Prius worked his way into the lane between me and the car in front of me, so I decided to "assert" myself and work my way over so I could still turn, possibly before he did.
3) I let the Prius go first, and then promptly popped the clutch and stalled.
4) I immediately restarted the bike, and I'm not exactly sure why, but it started tipping to the right. I can usually keep the bike upright, but karma clearly wanted to bitch slap me for attempting a U-Turn in a no U-Turn lane. Next thing I know, both Eyegore and I are on our sides.

I popped right up and made sure no oncoming traffic was about to kill me. Seeing that someone had stopped, I attempted to lift Eyegore. A guy in an SUV asked if I was OK, and helped me get Eyegore back up. Another lady asked if I was OK. Houston drivers, apparently, aren't always a$$holes.

There's no damage to me. My helmet never hit the ground. My jacket armor did its job. I hit the ground shoulder first, and didn't feel a thing. The only thing bruised is my ego.

Eyegore suffered minimal damage. I lost one of my moto lights. It's an auxilliary light, and replacing it is not mandatory, nor is it something I have to do NOW. I just need to safely stow the dangling wire. There's no damage to the fairing, mirror or turn signal. Life's good.

So here's my lesson: You can be a rider for 10 years and still make stupid decisions that end with you shoving broken plastic and lighting into your pocket before riding away. I am thankful that my Dumbass Fee is only going to be $385 for a new set of moto lights. Eventually. I am also thankful people stopped to help, and that I am OK.

#50 ·
Eyegore's doing very well, thanks. I know I was a little nervous the first couple of times I rode after that. I've gotten over it. I hope to get the motolights replaced in the next couple of months. :thumb:

#51 ·
Okay, would you please tell me the story of the name 'eyegore'?

#52 ·
lol...When I was thinking about the F800, someone told me, "I like like the bike, but I hate the hump." I immediately quoted Eyegore from "Young Frankenstein" and said, "'Ump? What 'ump?" And then I decided that, if I got the F800, I would call it Eyegore.

#53 ·
As long as Eyegore is fit and well.

Been on a club rideout today, rode ok, stopped no problem, handled difficult situations within my stride, however on the return journey and after we went our separate way's, I was nearing home, do think I could stop properly, I was all over the place. No I did not drop it but flipping well nearly. I am not happy with my self with that, ah well no need to beat my self up about it, I will beat the wife instead[:D][:D][lol].

#55 ·
NO, it is the OAP rider. Last week I fitted bar backs, this has given be a different riding position, more positive I may say, also I fitted an AirHawk pad, this has a tendency to raise the rider, even though it is near flat, I think I need to release a tad more air though.. Anyway DWS, like I said it is the MOG riding it not the bike.

Flooks

#56 ·
Well, "eventually" is today. I just clicked "buy" for a PIAA 74224 1100X Multi Fit Lamp Kit. These appear to be what was on Eyegore when I bought him, so I'm hoping this means I'll only have to replace the mounting hardware and splice to existing wiring. I will not have to do any actual electrical work. I also bought a new front turn signal lens. I recently noticed that the one on the right is hanging on by a thread. The plastic tube used by the screw to mount the lens to the signal hardware broke. This is also a cheap and easy fix. And, even better? It's costing me less than the $385+ I originally thought it would cost. Yay!

Reactions: Flook
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.