BMW F800 Forum banner

MV Risers

11K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  roger44 
#1 ·
This kit has a brake line extension so your brake system will need to beserviced when installing this kit. Kit sells for $249.99.

Just had these installed on the GT, work great, riding position is finally civilized !

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Brad,

One (or two) more questions. Did you get the brake extender from your dealer and $$$, of course. I assume the front brake needing service means it had to be bled after installation. Did you tackle the job or did the dealer do it?

Nice, very nice looking installation! Thanks for the info.

Rick

#7 ·
Yes, the front brake was bled. Enzo from Cadre Cycles in Cincinnati does all of my bike work. The brake extender came in the kit. Call Enzo for details, he is the first person to install the kit on the GT in the US. He can also order you a kit. 513-522-7300. Make sure you tell him that Brad sent you to him. He is a BMW and Ducati certified tech. He will take the time to walk you throught the installation.

#11 ·
Brad,

At the risk of being a pest, I'm also curious if/how the new bar risers have changed how the wind hits you. Your riding position is (I'd guess) more upright and a bit farther back. So does the wind at speed hit you higher, not as much, or ...? Thank you for this thread.

Rick

#12 ·
Very Good Question. Last night I rotated the bars and grips up so that the riding position was even more relaxed. I am trying to determine exactly what you have asked. I can tell so far that being farther back (by inches) I am not getting hammered like I used to get. The jury is still out. I have a 30 minute expressway ride later today and will let you know this evening.

#13 ·
Brad,

The unstated assumption for my question is that the stock GT windshield is being used. Since the only other thread about using a different windshield is the interesting Ztechnik V-Stream thread, it seems obvious that the stock windshield is what's being used. Just trying to eliminate any extra variables in the mix.

Rick

#15 ·
Brad,

I thought of another question, before I pull the trigger and order this. Do you have the BMW tank bag installed? If so, does having the bars farther back interfere with the front mounting clips for the tank bag? If you don't have BMW tank bag, about how much clearance is there between the bars or mounts on top and the false tank center cover on the bottom? Thank you for your patience with me.

Rick

#16 ·
Rick:

I do not have the BMW tank bag, I use a Touratech bag which is small and uses straps. There is no interferance. All I can tell you to give you the assurance you need is that I am very comfortable now and my back does not ache. I am now in a position as close to my old RT as I think I can get on this bike.

#18 ·
please consider ordering them through Cadre Cycles in Cincinnati: 513-522-7300. Ask for Enzo. He is an authorized dealer and installed them on my GT. He will be available on Tuesday and will take your calls if you have any difficulty during the install.

#19 ·
Bought the kit and tried to fit it!
Moved the throttle cable OK, but tried to undo the brake line bolt at the master cylinder with a 25 torx piece and it would not move, just chewed up the inside if the bolt.

Kit has been packed up again and returned to MV in Germany for a refund. Looks like its NOT a job for a normal owner!!!!

I will live with the current riding position now.

Sam

#22 ·
As seen by my many posts and questions for Brad, I have been interested in the MV bar risers for the GT. I called Cadre-Cycle on Tuesday afternoon, talked with Enzo, and ordered a set of the risers. He was very helpful, as Brad has stated. Much to my surprise, they arrived on Friday - 3 day service! WOW!!! Installed them today (Sunday). The job took about me about 2.5 hours and went smoothly. A real mechanic could do it faster than that, I'm sure. Having Brad's pictures was a hugh help. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! For those of us familiar with an RT seating postion, these risers come pretty darn close. Didn't get much of a ride after the installation because rain and thunderstorms arrived. We must have really upset the weather gods around here. Can't wait to get some miles on at highway speeds to see how the wind affects the ride. I'll report back after that ride occurs. These things are not cheap ($250 plus shipping), but my first impression is one great big smile!

Rick

#24 ·
The rain has temporarily subsided, so I was able to go for a ride with my new bar risers. The riding position is more upright and farther back. I'm 5'9" and the wind used to hit me in the upper chest. Now, I get hit in the neck and chin bar of my helmet. OK when the weather is warm, but will be more of a problem when cold weather returns. Looks to me like a higher windshield will be in my future. I really do like the new riding position with the MV bar risers. Using that nifty cycle-ergo.com program with a rise and handlebar pull-back of 1.5" for the risers and my height, I go from a 12 degree forward lean to a 5 degree forward lean. It is very noticeable when riding. I'm very happy with my newest farkle!

Rick

#25 ·
Rick,
I would love to get those risers but have a few questions that I hope you can answer.
I am not a mechanic so do you thing my BMW dealer would actually install the risers?
Do any of the brake, throttle, or clutch cables need to be changed due to a new length?
I have the BMW nav iv installed and since the dealer put it on I do not believe there is much (if any) extra cable as they did a nice tight install so would that be a problem??
Thanks for any help,
Mitchell

#26 ·
Mitchell

please consider ordering them through Cadre Cycles in Cincinnati: 513-522-7300. Ask for Enzo. He is an authorized dealer and installed them on my GT. He will be available today until 12, back on Tuesday and will take your calls if you have any difficulty during the install. He has sold several of them and coached folks through the install process.

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.