HOW TO: Connect GPS on the GS - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1. HOW TO: Connect GPS on the GS

5 Comments by twisticles Published on 07-14-08 07:53 AM
    To connect your Zumo or any other electrical device requiring a switched power supply, you can tap into the CAN-Bus connector on the 'tank'.

To get under the fake tank, you need to remove the seat and six torx bolts. Four on the top tank panel, and two either side of the headstock, mounted in the black plastic that forms part of the ignition/socket assembly:

The tank panel now lifts straight off but be careful of the power socket wiring underneath:

A closer look at the power socket wiring connector:

The wires are attacked with a spring clip. You have to press down with your thumb to release it, then pull straight off the socket:

Ooh look, what is this mysterious black box thing attached directly on top of the battery? Notice as well the space between the battery and the airbox. This vertical gap will accomodate the newer Autocom units. Or a secret supply of currency.

Pull it out of the mounting clips, and remove the black cap. There is another spring clip holding the black cap on. And inside? This:

Which is our very obviously placed GPS connector. To connect your GPS unit to this can-bus controlled switched supply that stays on for a few minutes when you turn the engine off, you will need part number 80 00 0 611 656 from your friendly local BMW Dealer:

To make the cable,

• Get your Zumo cable and cut the fuse off (CAN-Bus doesn't need fuses). Leave as much cable length as you think you'll need. Strip back and tin the red and black cables and slide heat-shrink on.
    • On the CAN-Bus connector, you can trim Wire 2 right back, its not needed. (or leave it longer and heat-shrink it into place with the other cables.
    • On the CAN-Bus connector, strip back wires 1 & 2 and tin them.
    • Solder the black Zumo cable negative/earth to wire 1 on the connector
    • Solder the red Zumo cable (positive/live) to wire 3 on the connector
    • Heat shrink/PVC tape around the joints.
    • Job Done.

You could buy the cable ready-made from Touratech if you don't want to butcher your original cable.

You can instead add an additional accessory socket to the right of the ignition key and power it from the CAB-Bus connector.

There is a cut-out on the underside of the 'tank' panel to show where to place the additional socket.

Hope this helps someone.

2. Total Comments 5

Comments

Real Name
    Alex
    08-18-13
    Great help!!!

What is the Touratech Part NUmber for the Zumo GPS cable?

Thanks!
    Grey F800ST/V Stream/SW Motech Risers/Sargent Custom Seat/Hyperlites/Motolights/Zumo/Kaoko Throttle lock 

03-30-10
    Quote Originally Posted by elchino View Post
    Great help!!!

What is the Touratech Part NUmber for the Zumo GPS cable?

Thanks!
    Updated and expanded version of this HOW TO on the new Hall of Wisdow here

Includes links to TT cable.

Real Name
    Niall
    12-13-10
    Had a look on my F800 ST yesterday. It has the same connector but it is located in a different place. Mine was tied (using the black wrapping tape) to the positive power lead into the battery. It wasn't easy to spot initially as it is down inside the faring but I was able to cut it loose with a sharp blade without taking the faring off. Now I just need to order the connector part and I can get my phone / satnav connected up while on the bike.

Thanks for the idea.
    2008 F800 ST, Graphitan, ABS, OBC, Heated Grips, BMW Sport Panniers, White Lenses, Centre Stand, R&G Fork Protectors, GSG-Moto Engine & Final Drive Sliders, Skidmarx Double-Bubble screen 

3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Twisticles,
    It is probably just a typo error, but in your instructions here [and also in new HOW] for using BMW repair connector you say "strip &tin wires 1 & 2" . I think this should be 1&3.

03-30-10
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Twisticles,
    It is probably just a typo error, but in your instructions here [and also in new HOW] for using BMW repair connector you say "strip &tin wires 1 & 2" . I think this should be 1&3.
    Yeah you're right...despite doing two proof-reads I like to throw in the odd curve-ball