Oil leak - valve cover gasket - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

09-10-12
    After my 10,000 km check-in earlier in the summer, I noticed oil on my bike's parking pad in the shed - a few drops. Sure enough, the engine is slippery with the stuff. Took it to BMW Toronto today - diagnosis: valve cover gasket failure. And no parts available. The service guy is currently fixing the same problem on another F8. Waiting for my appointment. Feeling disappointment. All I can think of is the old saw about Harleys - "If there's no oil under your Harley..."

I wonder if torquing the bolts (assuming that was done as part of the service, as stated in the list of stuff) left the gasket out of sorts. There was not a spot of oil prior to that...
    “Do we behave reasonably well as a species? Or are we perhaps one of the mistaken evolutionary branches?" - Farley Mowat 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Montreal, Quebec, Canada. warby is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Andreas
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Do we know whether the "retorquing engine cover bolts" service bulletin refers to the valve cover? Since you were having a 10,000 km service the valve cover really shouldn't have been removed. I believe this is normally first done only at the 20,000 km service, when they go in and mess around with the valve clearances. I'm not anticipating any oil leaks until after my 20,000 km service...

Cheers,
    Andreas
    2007 BMW F800ST 

noj is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Jon
    2 Days Ago
    It seems that this gasket can spontaneously self destruct - two of mine were good for a few thousand and then started leaking (although it's been through the stealership so often I don't know if they played with the bolts).

One failed completely on the way home from being replaced - ended up covered in oil - fitter error...?

In summary:
    The first 3 failed
    The 4th was good until the valve check at 12,000
    The 5th was good until the engine failed 3 days later
    The 6th is still good and has done over 8,000 miles now...
    Occasionally dangerous ABS, 2nd engine now rebuilt due to piston slap and flaky paint (replaced rocker gasket x8, radiator x2, steering bearings, fork seals, mirrors x2, exhaust x2, pegs x2, EWS, clutch) 

3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Had 12,000 mile service yesterday. Dealer replaced valve cover gasket because of signs of very slight oil weep --- warranty job.
    Valve clearances were checked and found OK. Dealer advised that although official BMW position is check every 12,000, his view after checking plenty of 800's is that this is over the top and that check every 24,000 should be ok.

Ware, Herts, UK Pat H is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Pat
    3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    Due to the fact, like others, I had many gasket problems after the clearances where checked and that none of my CBRs ever had checkes or adjustments their whole lives. Mines had it's 12,000 mile check (nothing wrong) and now again at 19,000 during engine re-build and it won't get another while I have it!
    Flame red F800s as of Nov 2006. Watch for me around North London.

Don't miss the F800 Garage Door Opener Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk 

Real Name
    Vladimir
    05-17-13
    Had the valves checked at 33000 km for the first time - I insisted that job to be done as the dealer did not have shims for adjustment. The valve were OK, no need for adjustment. But there was another problem here - the dealer did not have necessary parts - gaskets. Worth Eur30 for the set of three pieces! So my wife's bike is in pieces and still waiting for them to arrive from Germany - 2 weeks already. Hope we will have another two weeks of riding season upon their arrival. Sorry for rant.
    Take care! 

Real Name
    Jason A
    07-10-11
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I have had the valve cover gasket replaced twice. The first one was stock from factory, which started leaking at maybe 15000 miles or so, so i had that one replaced under warranty. Then the replacement started leaking, and pretty badly. When the replaced that one, it looks like the inner gasket, i guess the sparkplug gasket or something, the smaller of the 2, had a little notch in it, like from a small stone or something. I just dont understand how something like that could have gotten in there aside from when it was installed. Well the 3rd one i have now seems to be holding up. And mind you, i ride my bike pretty hard on a daily basis.

Had the valves checked when the gasket was replaced the first time, they said they looked fine. Then on the 2nd replacement they checked the sparkplugs and said they looked good still, he seemed surprised. That was at about 27000 or so miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by batamali View Post
    Can you pass that $#it you,ve been smokin Arles?...
    yes i can...

3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    "they checked the sparkplugs and said they looked good still, he seemed surprised. That was at about 27000 or so miles."

My dealer tells me that BMW schedule plug replacement at 24,000 miles.

01-21-14
    just had my gasket replaced leaking after 7000 miles got home to find a bolt missing out of the fairing there going to post me one. There going to send pictures of the peeling engine paint to bmw to see if i get a new engine. I ve just about had enough of this crap 0n a 2007 bike if the finance was done the bike would go

Flopp is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

12-12-13
    I had a minor gasket leak at about 10000km. It was just enough that some dust could stick to the seam. Since then (>30,000km) not a spot, even after the valve check.
    ST - all options from the factory, sport panniers, stock screen Vario, "tank" mount Zumo, Throttlemeister, Stebel Nautilus, Hyperlites, Hyperpro fork springs, Centech AP-2, Evos, misc farkles and yes, it is Black and Yellow 

09-10-12
    Well, they fixed it. At least the bike is ready for pick-up this evening. I also asked for a footpeg replacement due to what seems to be premature wear. They did the left side only. Go figure. And without prompting, my EWS aerial has been replaced.

Work details for the valve cover gasket as follow:

"Remove centre both side fairings remove air box all electrical attachments remove throttle bodies move clutch cable and throttle cable out of way remove cover clean off cover and surface apply sealant install new centre and outer gaskets seal outer surfaces torque down valve cover reinsall all removed items test for leaks works as designed"

Reads like a paragraph of GG Marquez, that long sentence. Let's hope it holds up. Now I am off to:

Fill bucket with hot water add copious soap and scrub brush carry to bike parking pad apply soapy water to oil stain scrub until removed return bucket to basement test pad works as designed ride bike and be thankful of no cost for all this other than precious time
    “Do we behave reasonably well as a species? Or are we perhaps one of the mistaken evolutionary branches?" - Farley Mowat 

Real Name
    Jason A
    07-10-11
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    hahaha, good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by batamali View Post
    Can you pass that $#it you,ve been smokin Arles?...
    yes i can...

Real Name
    Andreas
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    LOL, good cleaning instructions. Hope the new seal holds for a long time! Cheers, Andreas
    2007 BMW F800ST 

Real Name
    Dave
    08-06-10
    I just did an oil change at 5100 miles on my 07 ST and found the same problem with the gasket, I called the dealership and I'm 1 month outside of warranty coverage! As it appears, I would call this a manufacturers problem, paying $200+ to swap a gasket is nuts!

Can anyone recommend a replacement gasket that works and guide me to the torques specs with clamp down sequence to save me from spending more money than I already have too?

Is this worth getting in touch with BMW direct as the problem has probably happened before my warranty was up?

Real Name
    Hector S
    12-11-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Had my bike in for a new tire and noticed mine also leaking. Dealer said I was "3 weeks" out of warranty! Oh well, I will just clean it more often until the 12,000 service. No sense paying for it twice in less than a year...

07-05-13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenova View Post
    I just did an oil change at 5100 miles on my 07 ST and found the same problem with the gasket, I called the dealership and I'm 1 month outside of warranty coverage! As it appears, I would call this a manufacturers problem, paying $200+ to swap a gasket is nuts!

Can anyone recommend a replacement gasket that works and guide me to the torques specs with clamp down sequence to save me from spending more money than I already have too?

Is this worth getting in touch with BMW direct as the problem has probably happened before my warranty was up?
    I would ask them for a Goodwill repair of the gasket..this is such a widespread problem it is clearly a design/manufacturing defect. I'm at 8,700 miles on my '07 ST and just had mine done for the 2nd time, both under warranty. I might add that this time the bike even after waiting 24 hours for the gasket sealant to cure before I picked it up really had a strong smell of sealant which I did not smell after the first repair, so perhaps they have used a higher grade of sealant or used more of it or perhaps didn't use it the first time. Hopefully it lasts until the 12,000 mile service and then I can wonder all over again if they did it right.

Real Name
    Dave
    08-06-10
    I've got an appointment to do some recall work at the shop on Friday, I called BMW direct and was told that the fault would have to be identified by one of their techs to document the gasket failure. I'll report back next week with what can be done. Thanks for the advice EJ

Until then, if anyone out there has a shop book, I could really use the torque specs and sequence for the top?

Also out of curiosity, please comment if this is a problem for you too, I wonder how many people are dealing with this.

Real Name
    Paul
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    When I first got my bike, a few mates and I went for a long ride and when returned noticed 5 fairing bolts went missimg. I went past the dealer and they replaced the bolts at no charge. Within a fortnight I noticed an oil leak down the front of the engine so took the top off and tightened the valve cover bolts and degreased the engine. I havent noticed any dramas since, I think due to the vibration of the 800 it should be routine to check and tighten your own bolts every now and then. I nearly lost the bolts from the fairing cross brace once but one got caught in the V of the engine and the other was hanging by a couple of twists.

Real Name
    David
    09-17-12
    I did my valve cover gasket for my 12k mile service. I used a lot of sealer, but did not have any out the side of the engine. It looks good. And it does not leak. It just needs sealer.
    It is truly an oddball gasket. It has 2 funny large half moons in it. And it tends to leak at the front low corner.
    Sealer is the answer. Sealer is the answer for any gasket, or any leaky gasket on any vehicle.
    Checking bolts, nuts and screws for tightness is a regular maintenance feature for any motorcycle.
    They vibrate. There are certain roads here where my bike is smooth as silk. But there are worn roads here, where my bike, or any car or truck bounces like a ping pong ball. Roads wear with use. They fix some, but not all.
    So you get vibration. Check for tightness regularly.
    dc

21. Like Tex S/T liked this post.

07-05-13
    Quote Originally Posted by decoats View Post
    I did my valve cover gasket for my 12k mile service. I used a lot of sealer, but did not have any out the side of the engine. It looks good. And it does not leak. It just needs sealer.
    It is truly an oddball gasket. It has 2 funny large half moons in it. And it tends to leak at the front low corner.
    Sealer is the answer. Sealer is the answer for any gasket, or any leaky gasket on any vehicle.
    Checking bolts, nuts and screws for tightness is a regular maintenance feature for any motorcycle.
    They vibrate. There are certain roads here where my bike is smooth as silk. But there are worn roads here, where my bike, or any car or truck bounces like a ping pong ball. Roads wear with use. They fix some, but not all.
    So you get vibration. Check for tightness regularly.
    dc
    Are you guys really taking your bikes apart to check the tightness of the valve cover bolts? Seems like a lot of effort to do so. Why don't they use thread locker on the bolts?

Real Name
    David
    09-17-12
    No.
    The valve cover bolts are tight. The leak is in the gasket. Mine only leaked a tiny tad for a day or two. Just a little stain on the block.
    I took it apart to check valve clearance. A part of the 12k mile service.
    dc

07-17-13
    My cam cover was leaking before I did the valve lash inspection. I reassembled it the way I've done every other gasket of this type...and it leaks. So when all of these guys are saying use more sealant than you would typically use I'm tending to agree with them.

07-05-13
    Quote Originally Posted by WANG View Post
    My cam cover was leaking before I did the valve lash inspection. I reassembled it the way I've done every other gasket of this type...and it leaks. So when all of these guys are saying use more sealant than you would typically use I'm tending to agree with them.
    It's a shame that BMW hasn't figured this out and informed their technicians so my bike basically has leaked since new despite 2 service visits and supposed repairs.

Real Name
    Sandro P
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800S
    Add me to the list.

I noticed ever so slight seepage at the gasket for a few months, but now it's starting to drip down the side of the engine. Not good.

Bike has 14k km on it.

Glad I have a great dealer. Called them today, they said bring it in today, and it will be ready for tomorrow.

Needless to say, they ackowleged "its a problem" and said they did 15 bikes for this problem so far.

What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner? 

Real Name
    Sandro P
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800S
    Follow up.....

As promised, ready today. Talked to the mechanic about it. He says the gaskets Rotax uses aren't as "good" as the ones that come from the engines BMW actually makes. The new gasket is the same, but they improved the rubbers for the bolts. BMW "recommends" 1209 sealant for the gasket. My dealer says they go one better and use 1211 sealant.

So for all you guys with several leaks, insist on 1211 sealant, and let it cure fully for about 12 hours. Leave it at the dealer and pick it up the next day.

28. Thanks RadMan thanked for this post.
    Real Name
    Dave
    08-06-10
    I've got an appointment to do some recall work at the shop on Friday, I called BMW direct and was told that the fault would have to be identified by one of their techs to document the gasket failure. I'll report back next week with what can be done. Thanks for the advice EJ

Until then, if anyone out there has a shop book, I could really use the torque specs and sequence for the top?

Also out of curiosity, please comment if this is a problem for you too, I wonder how many people are dealing with this.
    Just got a voice mail from BMW customer service, no support for a failed gasket on my 07' f800 ST one month out of warranty. Not even an instructional with torque specs. If you think that BMW has got your back, you can forget it. The brand loyalty is not worth the price or the myth.

I'll come back with more when I do this on my own.

Real Name
    Dave
    08-06-10
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    Are you guys really taking your bikes apart to check the tightness of the valve cover bolts? Seems like a lot of effort to do so. Why don't they use thread locker on the bolts?
    Because I would like to get back into my valves at some point in the future, it doesn't require taking too much apart. Mostly the top end of the bike including the air box. The joy of mechanics is understanding how the machine works.

02-06-14

Torque spec is 10 Nm tightened in diagonally opposite sequence. There are 4 of them. They have a stop with a seal on top, so it's important not to crank them down tighter than spec.

Yeah, it's a common problem, but not a big deal. Just degrease the engine occasionally until it's time for a major service, then use plenty of (well, not plenty, but enough) sealer on the gasket and the problem is solved.

My VW uses the same kind of gasket with the same semicircles and it leaks the same way. Sealer on the gasket works on it, too.
    George

Real Name
    mick dowd
    03-19-12
    Is changing the gasket, or using sealer a diy job. I am fairly competent and have common tools? Are any special tools required? I cant afford main dealer rates.

Real Name
    Mark H
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    No special tools required - just takes a while to take everything off and make sure the surfaces are all clean and properly de-greased. Pays to tie back electricial leads to ensure they're out of the way when you re-assemble - it's a pretty close fit to get the valve cover down cleanly. Pay attention to the various hoses on re-assembly so they're all routed correctly - we don't want any rough running/stalling issues, do we.

Lots of discussion here re sealant - I prefer to avoid it as it is generally a pain to clean off the next time you open it up (eg valve check - and if the dealer is doing that, you're paying him to clean up after you). BMW recommends non-hardening sealant in the corners of the 'eyelids' - I use Permatex #2 Form-A-Gasket; if you use silicon sealant, make sure it's 'sensor safe' so you don't destroy your oxygen sensor.

If you are re-using the gasket (ie, it isn't damaged and is still pliable), it will still pay to replace the four fastening bolts with the latest pattern - earlier ones had a thicker gasket which presumably is more prone to compressing and therefore releasing some tension on the main gasket. If you are buying a new gasket set, it will come with the new bolts. In the attached picture, the new pattern is on the right, original (used) one at left. The bolts tighten when the flange adjacent to the thread contacts the cam carrier, so clearly the bolt at right is going to apply greater tension to the valve cover than the original pattern (especially after time).

Have fun!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ValveCoverBolts.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	27285
    Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. ABS, BMW panniers & topcase, trip computer, clear indicators, K&N filter, Accelerator Module, Ricor Intiminators, SW-Motech frame and R&G front axle sliders, GS-911, coolant level indicator light, IN-Sound Window 

Real Name
    Sandro P
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800S
    Use the new redesigned gasket! It works! My first two old style leaked. the new style has not leaked!

Real Name
    Andreas
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Does the new redesigned gasket have a new part number too? I had my 20000km service done only last week, and the gasket part number appears on the associated paperwork. I am curious to know whether I have the new variant. Thanks, Andreas
    2007 BMW F800ST 

Real Name
    mick dowd
    03-19-12
    Thanks for the advice guys, I am off on hols for two weeks and then I will do the job. I will let you know the part no. Mick.

37. Thanks warby thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Mark H
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Andreas - MaxBMW lists the part as:
    07 11128520621 SET: GASKET SET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER
    No superseded part is shown.

When I replaced mine recently (previous one fitted in 2008 ), each of the gaskets had an embossed number that was one digit higher in each case than the old gaskets.
    Last edited by Mokkybear; 08-02-11 at 06:57 AM. Reason: fixed the 'special character' from 2008) to 2008 )
    Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. ABS, BMW panniers & topcase, trip computer, clear indicators, K&N filter, Accelerator Module, Ricor Intiminators, SW-Motech frame and R&G front axle sliders, GS-911, coolant level indicator light, IN-Sound Window 

39. Thanks warby thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Andreas
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokkybear View Post
    Andreas - MaxBMW lists the part as:
    07 11128520621 SET: GASKET SET, CYLINDER HEAD COVER
    No superseded part is shown.

When I replaced mine recently (previous one fitted in 200, each of the gaskets had an embossed number that was one digit higher in each case than the old gaskets.
    For what it's worth, the part number list for "GASKET SET F800ST" during my recent 20000km service was the same as the above.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    2007 BMW F800ST 

Real Name
    Ralph
    11-06-12
    Just joined this Forum and am wondering if anyone has tried to correct this problem by just installing the newer type BOLTS ???
    I wanted to attempt that fix but was advised that BMW does not sell the Bolts individually. I believe the problem may be tension/pressure related and thus may buy the Whole Kit and just undo old Bolt and replace with New Type. If this does the job will certainly get something going to advise all concerned.

Contacted three BMW Dealers and they all had three or four Kits in stock. IT IS A PROBLEM which is well known and we should be able to correct situation for less than $200.00 Plus

RJJ
    Last edited by rjjl; 10-16-12 at 07:55 AM.

3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by rjjl View Post
    Just joined this Forum and am wondering if anyone has tried to correct this problem by just installing the newer type BOLTS ???
    I wanted to attempt that fix but was advised that BMW does not sell the Bolts individually. I believe the problem may be tension/pressure related and thus may buy the Whole Kit and just undo old Bolt and replace with New Type. If this does the job will certainly get something going to advise all concerned.

Contacted three BMW Dealers and they all had three or four Kits in stock. IT IS A PROBLEM which is well known and we shold be able to correct situation for less than $200.00 Plus

RJJ
    Welcome to the forum Ralph

It's been my experience that once a valve cover gasket begins leaking to any great extent, you can't really stop the leak with just new or retorqued bolts. Even in this instance, where the bolts were redesigned to put additional pressure down on the cover. There's only so much that's going to do anyway, and I think there have been more than a few reports of the "new" gasket upgrade kit still leaking, if it' wasn't put on with persnickety precision. (and or heaps more gasket sealer lol)

FYI Max BMW parts fiche lists the gasket kit for $72.55 US (plus any taxes and S/H of course)

That sounds a wee bit better than your $200.00+ figure... (or are you counting that as a dealer replacing the gasket for you?)
    Formerly: 2009 F800ST Night Blue Metallic. She's gone, sob. Now: 2012 Honda NC700X Manual/ABS Darkness Black Metallic  

Real Name
    Ralph
    11-06-12
    I have not priced cost of having it done at a Dealer I was quoting a price mentioned by one of the forum members. Price of Kit here in my area is $93.00 Cdn. Thus am sure $200.00 is close to what it would cost to have it done by a Dealer. Ouch!! Wondering if Problem still exists in newer F 800`s.

Would think BMW would look into the matter since it is a well known PROBLEM.

RJJ

3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by rjjl View Post
    I have not priced cost of having it done at a Dealer I was quoting a price mentioned by one of the forum members. Price of Kit here in my area is $93.00 Cdn. Thus am sure $200.00 is close to what it would cost to have it done by a Dealer. Ouch!! Wondering if Problem still exists in newer F 800`s.

Would think BMW would look into the matter since it is a well known PROBLEM.

RJJ

It is a well known problem, and has been for years. But it's hit or miss about individual dealerships actually acknowledging it, or doing diddly squat about it. Some dealers apparently are pretty good about such stuff, others are the very definition of "Asshat", like always.
    Formerly: 2009 F800ST Night Blue Metallic. She's gone, sob. Now: 2012 Honda NC700X Manual/ABS Darkness Black Metallic  

Real Name
    Sylvain Savard
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Ralph,, how bad is your? I had mine for about 4000 miles before I got it fixed by my dealer for the 12k miles svcs. 1.5 hrs of time, including valve check. If the leak is small, just wipe it off and enjoy more till you reach 20000km, I know it is pain, but it is a BMW, thus part will be expensive (wait the rear wheel bearing and the drive shaft, you will be crying!!!!)

Real Name
    Jonathan
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I think I win on this one.

My '08 ST has less than 3000 miles. (In my defense, I bought it used months ago with 1500 miles.) Finally had a chance to take it in for a safety check and lo and behold - valve cover gasket leak. Is this possible??? I had a wtf moment. Odd thing is, I read this thread this morning, then got a call from the dealer in the afternoon giving me the $210 news

So from now on, I'm going to avoid reading any threads about the rear bearing issue.

I hope this is not indicative of the future with this bike. Starting to wonder if I should just resell the damn thing.

3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by dewalt99 View Post
    I think I win on this one.

My '08 ST has less than 3000 miles. (In my defense, I bought it used months ago with 1500 miles.) Finally had a chance to take it in for a safety check and lo and behold - valve cover gasket leak. Is this possible??? I had a wtf moment. Odd thing is, I read this thread this morning, then got a call from the dealer in the afternoon giving me the $210 news

So from now on, I'm going to avoid reading any threads about the rear bearing issue.

I hope this is not indicative of the future with this bike. Starting to wonder if I should just resell the damn thing.
    :empathy post:

Ya, my 2009 bought in 2010 is a puking gusher too. Just got back from a little tour thinking I'd deal with it "later" and ugh. When I went to wash it post trip, I don't even want to look under the fairings again...shudder. What a gawdawful mess in there. When I start it up now, puffs of blue smoke roil out from the top triple clamp area, from oil dripping on the exhaust headers.

Real Name
    Jonathan
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Thanks for the empathy, right back at ya LBS.

This is absolute Bovine Scatology. Is it a design flaw, in which case I guess I understand why they don't fix this issue. Or is this a part flaw?

3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by dewalt99 View Post
    Thanks for the empathy, right back at ya LBS.

This is absolute Bovine Scatology. Is it a design flaw, in which case I guess I understand why they don't fix this issue. Or is this a part flaw?
    BMW claimed they fixed the problem awhile back. Apparently, 4-5 model years later, with Exxon Valdez II in my back yard, I beg to differ...

The gasket leaks due to the cover bolts not applying enough pressure; IMHO poor design, and the rubber grommets were too thin and/or the bolts were too short in the threaded section (or the shoulders were too long, take your pick) The "new and improved" gasket kit comes with different bolts and thicker rubber grommets. The gasket I believe is the same, but instructions were added to put more sealant in the left front corner where the leaks almost always come from.

Of course BMW won't sell any of the gaskets or the bolts themselves, you have to buy the entire gasket kit, which up here in Canadia is over $100.00 dollars after taxes, I've found.

All my previous motorcycles over the past 40 years have never leaked from the valve cover gaskets, and I never even considered having to replace them, with many years of repeated off/on valve inspections done. (and even if I did have to replace them, they would have been dirt cheap to do so)

1 Day Ago
    I have the same issue, but more than just the valve cover.
    The oil leak on the right side at the middle seal and another leak at the bottom seal close to the exhaust.
    Is not dripping on the garage floor yet, but seem to be getting worse. I wonder how much it would cost to repair all those seals...

If I clean it, those area get oily again in a few days.
    Last edited by boshunter; 09-13-12 at 06:13 PM.

Real Name
    Sylvain Savard
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    As someone said before on this forum: Take this as a courtesy anti rust system It worked great for me!

52. Like mervingry, dRider800 liked this post.

Real Name
    Ralph
    11-06-12
    Hi Guys

Was out of town for a few days.Interesting to see new posts. Will just say that I will be wiping Valve Cover Gasket area til F 800 stored for Winter. BMW should have their engineers look into feasibility of adding at least two more mounting/fastening points as am very confident problem, as implied by most posters, is related to a more evenly distributed Downward Pressure on the Gasket. I would hope six pressure points would be sufficent to correct this Totally Unacceptable Problem. We are in 2012 n`est pas. A Leaky Valve Cover Come On !!!

RJJ

Real Name
    Carl
    2 Days Ago
    Any one on this forum ever try Yama-bond sealer on the valve cover? I have used it on my leaky Husky 610 supermoto valve cover and never had a problem after that.

Real Name
    Mark H
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    BMW specifies a sealant in the corners of the D. However, the older cover bolt assemblies weren't durable in the long term and tension on the gasket diminished over time, leading to leaks.

You could use a quality sealant all over the gasket (such as Yama-bond) but it will be a pain to clean off when it comes time to check the valves again. I replaced my gasket and bolts at 40,000 km service and haven't had a weep in the last 15,000 km.

Real Name
    Donnie
    2 Hours Ago
    Hey Mark, can you clarify, you used the new gasket/bolts at 40,000 kms and didn't use sealant? or just used sealant around the D seals... and recommended torque on the bolts?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast