BMW F800 Forum banner

Oil leak - valve cover gasket

24K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  Mokkybear 
#1 ·
After my 10,000 km check-in earlier in the summer, I noticed oil on my bike's parking pad in the shed - a few drops. Sure enough, the engine is slippery with the stuff. Took it to BMW Toronto today - diagnosis: valve cover gasket failure. And no parts available. The service guy is currently fixing the same problem on another F8. Waiting for my appointment. Feeling disappointment. All I can think of is the old saw about Harleys - "If there's no oil under your Harley..."

I wonder if torquing the bolts (assuming that was done as part of the service, as stated in the list of stuff) left the gasket out of sorts. There was not a spot of oil prior to that...

#2 ·
Do we know whether the "retorquing engine cover bolts" service bulletin refers to the valve cover? Since you were having a 10,000 km service the valve cover really shouldn't have been removed. I believe this is normally first done only at the 20,000 km service, when they go in and mess around with the valve clearances. I'm not anticipating any oil leaks until after my 20,000 km service... [ride]

Cheers,
Andreas

#3 ·
It seems that this gasket can spontaneously self destruct - two of mine were good for a few thousand and then started leaking (although it's been through the stealership so often I don't know if they played with the bolts).

One failed completely on the way home from being replaced - ended up covered in oil - fitter error...?

In summary:
The first 3 failed
The 4th was good until the valve check at 12,000
The 5th was good until the engine failed 3 days later
The 6th is still good and has done over 8,000 miles now...

#4 ·
Had 12,000 mile service yesterday. Dealer replaced valve cover gasket because of signs of very slight oil weep --- warranty job.
Valve clearances were checked and found OK. Dealer advised that although official BMW position is check every 12,000, his view after checking plenty of 800's is that this is over the top and that check every 24,000 should be ok.

#5 ·
Due to the fact, like others, I had many gasket problems after the clearances where checked and that none of my CBRs ever had checkes or adjustments their whole lives. Mines had it's 12,000 mile check (nothing wrong) and now again at 19,000 during engine re-build and it won't get another while I have it!

#6 ·
Had the valves checked at 33000 km for the first time - I insisted that job to be done as the dealer did not have shims for adjustment. The valve were OK, no need for adjustment. But there was another problem here - the dealer did not have necessary parts - gaskets. Worth Eur30 for the set of three pieces! So my wife's bike is in pieces and still waiting for them to arrive from Germany - 2 weeks already. Hope we will have another two weeks of riding season upon their arrival. Sorry for rant.

#7 ·
I have had the valve cover gasket replaced twice. The first one was stock from factory, which started leaking at maybe 15000 miles or so, so i had that one replaced under warranty. Then the replacement started leaking, and pretty badly. When the replaced that one, it looks like the inner gasket, i guess the sparkplug gasket or something, the smaller of the 2, had a little notch in it, like from a small stone or something. I just dont understand how something like that could have gotten in there aside from when it was installed. Well the 3rd one i have now seems to be holding up. And mind you, i ride my bike pretty hard on a daily basis.

Had the valves checked when the gasket was replaced the first time, they said they looked fine. Then on the 2nd replacement they checked the sparkplugs and said they looked good still, he seemed surprised. That was at about 27000 or so miles.

#9 ·
just had my gasket replaced leaking after 7000 miles got home to find a bolt missing out of the fairing there going to post me one. There going to send pictures of the peeling engine paint to bmw to see if i get a new engine. I ve just about had enough of this crap 0n a 2007 bike if the finance was done the bike would go

#10 ·
I had a minor gasket leak at about 10000km. It was just enough that some dust could stick to the seam. Since then (>30,000km) not a spot, even after the valve check.

#11 ·
Well, they fixed it. At least the bike is ready for pick-up this evening. I also asked for a footpeg replacement due to what seems to be premature wear. They did the left side only. Go figure. And without prompting, my EWS aerial has been replaced.

Work details for the valve cover gasket as follow:

"Remove centre both side fairings remove air box all electrical attachments remove throttle bodies move clutch cable and throttle cable out of way remove cover clean off cover and surface apply sealant install new centre and outer gaskets seal outer surfaces torque down valve cover reinsall all removed items test for leaks works as designed"

Reads like a paragraph of GG Marquez, that long sentence. Let's hope it holds up. Now I am off to:

Fill bucket with hot water add copious soap and scrub brush carry to bike parking pad apply soapy water to oil stain scrub until removed return bucket to basement test pad works as designed ride bike and be thankful of no cost for all this other than precious time

#14 ·
I just did an oil change at 5100 miles on my 07 ST and found the same problem with the gasket, I called the dealership and I'm 1 month outside of warranty coverage! As it appears, I would call this a manufacturers problem, paying $200+ to swap a gasket is nuts!

Can anyone recommend a replacement gasket that works and guide me to the torques specs with clamp down sequence to save me from spending more money than I already have too?

Is this worth getting in touch with BMW direct as the problem has probably happened before my warranty was up?

#16 ·
I would ask them for a Goodwill repair of the gasket..this is such a widespread problem it is clearly a design/manufacturing defect. I'm at 8,700 miles on my '07 ST and just had mine done for the 2nd time, both under warranty. I might add that this time the bike even after waiting 24 hours for the gasket sealant to cure before I picked it up really had a strong smell of sealant which I did not smell after the first repair, so perhaps they have used a higher grade of sealant or used more of it or perhaps didn't use it the first time. Hopefully it lasts until the 12,000 mile service and then I can wonder all over again if they did it right.

#17 ·
I've got an appointment to do some recall work at the shop on Friday, I called BMW direct and was told that the fault would have to be identified by one of their techs to document the gasket failure. I'll report back next week with what can be done. Thanks for the advice EJ

Until then, if anyone out there has a shop book, I could really use the torque specs and sequence for the top?

Also out of curiosity, please comment if this is a problem for you too, I wonder how many people are dealing with this.

#26 ·
Follow up on Gasket Leak

Just got a voice mail from BMW customer service, no support for a failed gasket on my 07' f800 ST one month out of warranty. Not even an instructional with torque specs. If you think that BMW has got your back, you can forget it. The brand loyalty is not worth the price or the myth.

I'll come back with more when I do this on my own.

#18 ·
When I first got my bike, a few mates and I went for a long ride and when returned noticed 5 fairing bolts went missimg. I went past the dealer and they replaced the bolts at no charge. Within a fortnight I noticed an oil leak down the front of the engine so took the top off and tightened the valve cover bolts and degreased the engine. I havent noticed any dramas since, I think due to the vibration of the 800 it should be routine to check and tighten your own bolts every now and then. I nearly lost the bolts from the fairing cross brace once but one got caught in the V of the engine and the other was hanging by a couple of twists.

#19 ·
I did my valve cover gasket for my 12k mile service. I used a lot of sealer, but did not have any out the side of the engine. It looks good. And it does not leak. It just needs sealer.
It is truly an oddball gasket. It has 2 funny large half moons in it. And it tends to leak at the front low corner.
Sealer is the answer. Sealer is the answer for any gasket, or any leaky gasket on any vehicle.
Checking bolts, nuts and screws for tightness is a regular maintenance feature for any motorcycle.
They vibrate. There are certain roads here where my bike is smooth as silk. But there are worn roads here, where my bike, or any car or truck bounces like a ping pong ball. Roads wear with use. They fix some, but not all.
So you get vibration. Check for tightness regularly.
dc

#22 ·
My cam cover was leaking before I did the valve lash inspection. I reassembled it the way I've done every other gasket of this type...and it leaks. So when all of these guys are saying use more sealant than you would typically use I'm tending to agree with them.

#24 ·
Add me to the list.

I noticed ever so slight seepage at the gasket for a few months, but now it's starting to drip down the side of the engine. Not good. [:(!]

Bike has 14k km on it.

Glad I have a great dealer. Called them today, they said bring it in today, and it will be ready for tomorrow. [:p]

Needless to say, they ackowleged "its a problem" and said they did 15 bikes for this problem so far.

#25 ·
Follow up.....

As promised, ready today. Talked to the mechanic about it. He says the gaskets Rotax uses aren't as "good" as the ones that come from the engines BMW actually makes. The new gasket is the same, but they improved the rubbers for the bolts. BMW "recommends" 1209 sealant for the gasket. My dealer says they go one better and use 1211 sealant.

So for all you guys with several leaks, insist on 1211 sealant, and let it cure fully for about 12 hours. Leave it at the dealer and pick it up the next day.

#30 ·
No special tools required - just takes a while to take everything off and make sure the surfaces are all clean and properly de-greased. Pays to tie back electricial leads to ensure they're out of the way when you re-assemble - it's a pretty close fit to get the valve cover down cleanly. Pay attention to the various hoses on re-assembly so they're all routed correctly - we don't want any rough running/stalling issues, do we. [lol]

Lots of discussion here re sealant - I prefer to avoid it as it is generally a pain to clean off the next time you open it up (eg valve check - and if the dealer is doing that, you're paying him to clean up after you). BMW recommends non-hardening sealant in the corners of the 'eyelids' - I use Permatex #2 Form-A-Gasket; if you use silicon sealant, make sure it's 'sensor safe' so you don't destroy your oxygen sensor.

If you are re-using the gasket (ie, it isn't damaged and is still pliable), it will still pay to replace the four fastening bolts with the latest pattern - earlier ones had a thicker gasket which presumably is more prone to compressing and therefore releasing some tension on the main gasket. If you are buying a new gasket set, it will come with the new bolts. In the attached picture, the new pattern is on the right, original (used) one at left. The bolts tighten when the flange adjacent to the thread contacts the cam carrier, so clearly the bolt at right is going to apply greater tension to the valve cover than the original pattern (especially after time).

Have fun!
Household hardware Auto part Gas Engineering Composite material

#32 ·
Does the new redesigned gasket have a new part number too? I had my 20000km service done only last week, and the gasket part number appears on the associated paperwork. I am curious to know whether I have the new variant. Thanks, Andreas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.