2014 BMW F800GS Start/Stop Switch Fix - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

09-04-14
    A few days after purchasing this new bike I noticed that the Start/Stop switch would at times be difficult to switch from the STOP position to ON/Start. The switch began to feel like it was jamming when changing the position. I personally did not like this feeling on the switch because it seems that over time the plastic pin that holds the switch in position would likely break or possibly jam the switch in the off position. Since i purchased the bike i have been using it every day and have put over 1200 miles in a little over two weeks. Long story short after figuring out that lubrication was not the issue i took apart the combination switch and removed the locking pin out of the switch. Now it works flawlessly with little to no effort.

Maybe this might help some people in the future...

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    You don't say which bike you have (other than "this new bike").

You're not talking about the actual start button, right? But the STOP button? I've got to admit that in all the bikes I've owned, I may have used that button maybe twice. And only because I'd dropped the bike when it was running and wanted to stop the engine quickly. Otherwise I just turn the key off.

I wonder how many people regularly use that button to shut the bike down.

4. DislikesWisconsinkris disliked this post

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    5 Hours Ago
    I use mine almost everytime I stop.
    Kevin

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Glenn Paterson
    07-13-14
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I've been using the "kill" switch to turn off my '14 F800GT engine regularly. Then, in the middle of a recent 4000K road trip, she suddenly didn't start one day. By no-start, I mean total silence, nothing . I recycled power (ignition off/on) then bike started. This repeated a few times over a few days. I noticed the kill switch/start button acting funny, exactly as you describe. I stopped using the kill-switch, turning engine off with key only. So far, no reoccurrence after several weeks ...obviously this is a defective bit which I'll have looked after under warranty. It's probably the exact same part as on GS's
    Last edited by shoxgdp; 07-13-14 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fix typo

09-04-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldor View Post
    You don't say which bike you have (other than "this new bike").
    Im sorry i should have wrote the year in the post as well. Its a 2014 F800GS its not like the prior year models where the start button has its own dedicated button and the stop is a separate "side to side" switch. I just have a habit of sitting off the bike that way…

The thing is that the switching electronics are not at fault in this switch. It is actually the plastic toggle itself. I didn't even bother opening a warranty issue on it since it probably would take some time to get it replaced at BMW. besides its nice to have a dirt bike style push button to stop and start the bike. I also would not want to get stranded over a plastic piece that doesn't work..

06-04-15
    Quote Originally Posted by fchavez09 View Post
    A few days after purchasing this new bike I noticed that the Start/Stop switch would at times be difficult to switch from the STOP position to ON/Start. The switch began to feel like it was jamming when changing the position. I personally did not like this feeling on the switch because it seems that over time the plastic pin that holds the switch in position would likely break or possibly jam the switch in the off position. Since i purchased the bike i have been using it every day and have put over 1200 miles in a little over two weeks. Long story short after figuring out that lubrication was not the issue i took apart the combination switch and removed the locking pin out of the switch. Now it works flawlessly with little to no effort.

Maybe this might help some people in the future...
    Had the same problem with my 14 GSA, got it replaced under warranty about 6000k ago and now have the same problem again :/ fchavez09, any advice on taking apart the switch? Thanx!

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Vordor, think there is an active recall to replace these, as well as the switches on the left side. Not sure if this is what you had done 6k back.

11 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I never use the kill switch always the key, can't quite see why you would use the kill switch

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

12. Likesoxytotl liked this post

4 Days Ago
    I use the key, or when the tank bag is on, the kickstand, don't judge me.

14. LikesCarlos Fandango liked this post

4 Days Ago
    And, interestingly, after a wet Weekend at Roll The Bones, now my kill switch starts the bike in the "neutral" position. It still kill sthe bike, if you rock it forward, but you don't have to push it from the middle to the 'start' position to turn it over.

Real Name
    Steve Parry
    05-23-17
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '86 R80
    Motorcycle
    '03 R1100S
    Motorcycle
    '07 K1200GT
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GS
    I use the sidestand switch. When I come to a stop, pull the clutch in, flick the stand down, engine dies. The turn off the ignition. Bike's then in gear to stop it rolling forward if knocked.
    --
    Steve Parry
    14 R1200RT LE LC, 07 K1200GT SE, 86 R80RS, 03 BoxerCup & a sparkly new 14 F800GS 

17. Thanksronsav thanked for this post
    Likesronsav liked this post

Real Name
    Ron Savoie
    11-11-16
    Thanks for posting this. I was also having the same issue with a sticking Start/kill switch. I did exactly as you and removed the white toggle pin inside the controls. Worked like a charm.

My bike is a 2013 F800GS.

Real Name
    Bill Potter
    01-03-17
    if you need to stop the engine quickly, (say in some "emergency" situation), you'll be able to find the kill switch easier if you regularly use the it to turn off the engine. That's what some training programs teach anyway.

4 Hours Ago
    Last fall, the dealer replaced the combination switch (at least the right-hand one) on my '13 F800GS, even though I was having no troubles with it.

Then, about a month or so after that, the described problem magically appeared and caused the start/kill rocker switch to quit working properly.

So, the dealer effectively introduced an issue that I wasn't having. Like most others, I removed the small white plastic detent "pin" from the switch apparatus and now am back in business - except now there is no definitive dentent and the rocker floats freely - which means it could potentially be moved to "kill" more easily than before...

YAY!

Real Name
    Frank
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Let the dealer fix this issue! You should have at least a year warranty on components he replaced, right?

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    5 Hours Ago
    BMW parts that are installed by BMW dealerships are waranteed for two years.
    Kevin

4 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankV View Post
    Let the dealer fix this issue! You should have at least a year warranty on components he replaced, right?
    Hope so! But didn't trust the switch to ride with it (even the 13km to the dealer)...going to talk to them this weekend...

Real Name
    Giuseppe
    1 Week Ago
    Thanks fchavez09, I just started having this issue yesterday on my '14 gs.

Anyone have a breakdown on how to remove the locking pin out of the switch, or even what it looks like? Any possible issues with this step? Lastly, was there actually a recall for this issue, I can't find anything on it.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Frank
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    No recall, but faulty switch assemblies are being replaced by BMW for free, so don't mess with it. Have them replaced by the BMW dealer.

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange