BMW F800 Forum banner

F800ST vs K1200S

11K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  pogi 
#1 ·
Alright so I had the enjoyable experience of riding a K12S for a day throughout all the scenic backroads in my area. The first thing I noticed was how smooth it was. Everything was so finely tuned to perfection. There were no raddles, no knocking in nuetral, and the revs jumped up to 11 grand so fast it was almost scary. top speeds are easily attained with little hesitation as well.

I love my F800 but after I jumped back on it, it just seemed sluggish and a bit raw. BUT it carves through the corners with ease, allowing me to confidently throw that knee out. I felt like the K bike was fighting me a bit in the tight corners, but im thinking that was just my inexperience on the bike.

Who else has ridden this beast because I need someone to convince me not to sell the 800 and jump up to the K1200S.

Thanks,
Dave

#2 ·
I rode a 2006 K1200s this past June on the highway. We swapped bikes for a couple of hours. Huge difference in power and refinement. I can't tell you not to trade up because if not for the $8000 difference in price that's exactly what I wanted to do. Other rider was glad to have his bike back...

#3 ·
My father has a K1200S tuned to perfection. I've ridden it and it is simply amazing!! So freaking fast. I do honestly believe that the F800 would be faster in tight twisties, way higher entrance and exit speeds. The biggest thing is the K1200S is just planted. The suspension is amazing.

The K12 is just too big for my uses. I do a lot of around town stuff where the F800 rocks.

Oh yeah, the K1300S is coming out next year, might be some ROCKING deals on a K12.

K12 also only gets 35-45mpg

#4 ·
K1200S vs F800ST

I have to admit the K1200S is the bike of my dreams and has been since 2005 when my dealer let me take one out for an all-day test ride (more than 300 km). The power and handling are both incredible. I like to brake hard into corners, and the K1200S can't be matched with its Duolever front end. It makes me want to swear off telescopic forks forever! But when I sold my R1150GS recently I bought an F800ST. And it wasn't just about the money: the F800 was better suited to the type of riding I do most. I didn't want to pay for capabilities that I would use only on rare occasion, and then be stuck with a big bike for 99% of the time when I didn't need a big bike. On the other hand, it's not all about practicality, is it [:D] ?

I had my first big ride (470 km over 10 hours) last Sunday. Here's some photos on the Ulysses Club(Melbourne branch) web site http://www.ulyssesmelb.com/components/com_pix/pix_frame_1.php?gal_ix=125 There's a couple of me in there, plus one I added at the end. Cheers, DaveC

#6 ·
the K1200S is going to be a painful temptation at the end of the year when the K1300 comes out and K12s go on sale. With the S1000RR realistically not showing up until spring/summer 2010....but then again, riding my F800S, on the city streets of Seoul it's hard to want for more. In full hooligan mode, from stoplight to stoplight I'm just a second behind a K1200, easily hitting 100mph and then back to a dead stop. You get more acceleration G-force with a K-bike of course and the accompanying thrill, but is it worth the extra money when the F800S satisfies so well?

#7 ·
We have both in the stable...

and I sometimes get to ride the ST (not enough though)……….for the record I have a growing respect for the ST. The ease of use on the ST is simply amazing where the K12S requires more rider input.

The two bikes are so different that a direct comparison is almost unfair (both ways)…….yet in certain areas they are so similar......

- the family resemblance in the pic is evident.

However, when you start winding things up, the K12S becomes a beast that make the ST feels sluggish. Maybe the best description is the "WOW" factor on the K12S is in a different league.

As stated by other posters, with the K13S scheduled to go on sale during the next few months, good deals can be made on the K12 now.

07 & 08 Models are good to go without hesitation but be more careful of 05 & 06 models, especially the ones with low mileage.

#8 ·
K1200GT Is My Temptation

Well Dave, you seemed to have stumbled upon my great temptation when it comes to BMW bikes, although the K12GT is the woman of my dreams and not the stinkin' fast K1200S (which is indeed a way rockin', badass ride!!!).

I took a long weekend to tour the Texas Hill Country with a buddy of mine who rides a what? You guessed it, a 2007 K1200GT. Even with his bike fully loaded down (the dude packs everything including tools and a GS-911!!!) he torched me through the twisties with nearly double the ponies of my little F800ST. In my defense I was on his back tire (not really that close at the speeds we were going - c'mon!) through the turns, but on straights he shot ahead of me like the Millenium Falcon jumping to light speed. Don't care what anyone says, there's no response for brute horsepower.

What I learned quite painfully is that the F800ST is the perfect bike for me to take to work and the gym. For touring this fine nation and Canada, I definitely want the extra size, wind protection, and horsepower of the GT. Did someone say the K1300GT is about to be released?

And Andrew! Your Dad's Bumblebee K1200S is a keeper! What a gorgeous bike he's put together from the looks of it. I'd trade a few paychecks to ride that baby for a day!

My only dilemma is getting the wife to allow two bikes. So close yet so far...

Great post!!!!!

David

#9 ·
I'm really going to try and hold out for 18 more months. Truth be told, I really, really need to become an expert rider, with lots of track time, before I pick up the S1000RR. 190 horses with the weight of an F800ST, 200+hp with racing ECU and exhaust....that will leave K-bikes in the dust for sure!

#10 ·
Awesome replies

MadnohB great looking bikes, and you are so right about them not being good bikes to compare side by side, but in some ways they are similar. The K bike is a complete monster when you want it to be and you guys are all right once this K13S comes out the price will drop even more than it has already. Ive been looking and could probably get one around 13 which is what I paid to pick up the ST in June.

The S1000RR will be a killer bike that I believe will set the bar pretty high for the competition, but I would not be able to push that thing to its limits without more racing experience.

Maybe one day ill be able to buy the K12S and keep the ST as well which would be the best solution to this serious dilema [:D]
For now I think ill wait for this economy to turn around [xx(]

Dave

#11 ·
I enjoy my little F800S immensely and don't know if I'd trade back to my ex (totaled) K1200R Sport (which I'd modified to produce K1200S power) if I had th chance. I loved the sheer power of the K-bike, but found its overly long wheelbase a little unwieldy in fast corners and its engine's slow speed manners lacking in finesse. The F800S is much more fun in everyday use.

I do crave big bike attributes, however, so I'm number 4 on my dealer's waiting list for the S1000RR. I actually hope it doesn't appear until 2010, though, because by then I'll be able to afford to keep my F800S as a track bike.

#12 ·
Just traded my 2006 F800ST with 30.000kms for a 2006 K1200S also with 30.000kms and a Laser Hot cam exhaust.

I bought the ST in 2008 and made all the 30.000kms in one year and a half. (yes the first owner made 360kms in two years [:0])
In conclusion I must say that I loved this bike. Easy to ride, nice riding position, good engine and power, good suspension, attractive looks. A total all-around bike. Just what I needed for a first bike.

Now it came the oportunity to trade it for the bike of my dreams. The K1200S! :cool:

Got it on Friday night and until today I rode 350kms. First impressions?
- Very hard clutch and gearbox. My left and is soaring a lot. (already order the vario levers)
- Lot's of power. But riding in low revs makes it difficult to ride softly. Above 3000rpms the engine is totally diferent. Very very smooth.
- Riding in highways with pillion at high speed is completely different from the ST. I can keep my upright position that I don't suffer the wind. In the ST I had to duck a little to avoid the wind.
- The fuel consumpiton: a big difference. F800ST - 4.5lt/km K1200S - 6.5 to 7lt/km [uhoh]

So, I want to thank everyone here for all the help. I did't make much improvements on the bike: skidmarks db, grip puppies and a handlebar cell phone support and Givi V46 topcase.

Well, so long buddies,
Wish you all the luck and safe ridings.
[;)]

Gonçalo Oliveira

#13 ·
keep us posted on how the '06 K1200S is holding up. I really wonder about if the "problems" with early K1200s are really all that bad.

The F800 is definitely more raw, or as the Ducati Seoul likes to put it, "analog". He says that Ducati (and grudgingly, Harley) is as "analog" a riding experience as it gets. Having ridden just about every Ducati model there is, I agree. But it's really a matter of taste. The F800 really sits between the pure analog Ducati experience, and the digitally pure K-bikes. The K-bikes are electric bullet trains. You never really have to hang it way off the saddle, it's point and shoot, with tons of power. But I like how the F800 rewards the rider when you really start moving around on it - the K1300R I tested didn't seem to even notice if I got off the seat or not, so I ended up just "driving" it, remaining centered in the seat.

#14 ·
Just because a bike has more cc's does not mean it is an upgrade... :)

To me the 12s would be a step down. I truly don't like heavy high cc bikes. Don't get them and I don't know why people like them. I've dipped into the litre class bikes a number of times but each time found them unsatisfying. Sure there is an initial rush because of the acceleration and top speed but then it becomes ho hum....The only caveat to this would be if I was using a bike for 2 up touring. In that case I'd buy a heavy, high cc touring bike.

I always end up back to light weight less powerful machines. This is why I find the f800st such a good bike. It is very light for its class(sport touring). Of all of the bmw bikes this is the only one that I would want to own. Really of all of the sport touring bikes this is the only on I would want to own....hmmm maybe this is why I bought it.. :)

Alright so I had the enjoyable experience of riding a K12S for a day throughout all the scenic backroads in my area. The first thing I noticed was how smooth it was. Everything was so finely tuned to perfection. There were no raddles, no knocking in nuetral, and the revs jumped up to 11 grand so fast it was almost scary. top speeds are easily attained with little hesitation as well.

I love my F800 but after I jumped back on it, it just seemed sluggish and a bit raw. BUT it carves through the corners with ease, allowing me to confidently throw that knee out. I felt like the K bike was fighting me a bit in the tight corners, but im thinking that was just my inexperience on the bike.

Who else has ridden this beast because I need someone to convince me not to sell the 800 and jump up to the K1200S.

Thanks,
Dave

#16 ·
Just stumbled across this thread after I posted my F8 vs K13 review.

I thought to myself, maybe, as good as the K13 is, perhaps my review showed too much bias for the F8 as I'm more used to it?

Nice to see other replies and thoughts.

My thoughts exactly, in BOLD :

Just because a bike has more cc's does not mean it is an upgrade... :)

To me the 12s would be a step down. I truly don't like heavy high cc bikes. Don't get them and I don't know why people like them. I've dipped into the litre class bikes a number of times but each time found them unsatisfying. Sure there is an initial rush because of the acceleration and top speed but then it becomes ho hum....The only caveat to this would be if I was using a bike for 2 up touring. In that case I'd buy a heavy, high cc touring bike.

I always end up back to light weight less powerful machines. This is why I find the f800st such a good bike. It is very light for its class(sport touring). Of all of the bmw bikes this is the only one that I would want to own. Really of all of the sport touring bikes this is the only on I would want to own....hmmm maybe this is why I bought it.. :)
The F800 is definitely more raw,,,,,. But it's really a matter of taste. The F800 really sits between the pure analog Ducati experience, and the digitally pure K-bikes. The K-bikes are electric bullet trains. You never really have to hang it way off the saddle, it's point and shoot, with tons of power. But I like how the F800 rewards the rider when you really start moving around on it - the K1300R I tested didn't seem to even notice if I got off the seat or not, so I ended up just "driving" it, remaining centered in the seat.
I enjoy my little F800S immensely and don't know if I'd trade back to my ex (totaled) K1200R Sport (which I'd modified to produce K1200S power) if I had th chance. I loved the sheer power of the K-bike, but found its overly long wheelbase a little unwieldy in fast corners and its engine's slow speed manners lacking in finesse. The F800S is much more fun in everyday use.

#15 ·
I used to have both until I recently traded the F800S for a 2009 R1200GS

The F800 is by far the better commuter, but nothing can eat the miles like a K12S
Once you get used to the K12S it handles like its on rails, and can be chucked into corners as vigorously as the F800S
To compare the F800s to K12S the K12S gets my vote.

However now that I commute on the R1200GS I must confess that the R1200GS feels asthmatic compared to the F800S and in this comparison my vote goes to the F800S (said with a tinge of regret)

#17 ·
Had a K13 R for a weekend and did about 500mi. It's freakin' fast and the F8 felt like a toy after. A very slow toy :(

That said, the girlfriend *hated* the seat and suspension on the K13.

Also, down a tight mountain rode I caught and passed a K13 R rider who then gave chase but couldn't catch my ST - despite riding solo while I had the gf on the back [:D]

Easy real world handling FTW!

That said, I miss the raw power of the K13. If only the F800 had more poke...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.