New Calsci windshield for F650GS / F800GS - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

* Vented for minimum turbulence and back pressure
    * Excellent coverage of arms, sides, head
    * Shape designed to compliment the lines of the GS
    * Made from 4.5mm thick (3/16") DOT certified impact resistant plastic.
    * Laser cut for precision aerodynamics and fit
    * Includes storage cover, micro-fiber cleaning towel, and mini-spray bottle of windshield cleaner.

Design note on our GS windshields:
    BMW has chosen to fold the stock windshield back at the lower outside corners and attach these corners to the fairing. Most after market windshields for the GS series follow this design. Our experience and opinion is that this results in the outside lower portion of the shield acting like an upside-down wing, pulling air under and around the bottom of the windshield and drawing it into your ribs and up your chest, reducing windshield effectiveness and increasing noise and turbulence at your helmet. Our GS shields do not fold back and form these wings at the lower corners, and therefore do not produce these effects.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/F800GSprod.html
    http://www.calsci.com 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Who's going to go first here and give us a report? This is the shield I have been leaning toward.

Real Name
    Karl Chen
    09-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I had very good experience with their windshield for my 2004 R1150RT. They should take advantage of BMW toruing windshield additional mouting bars to secure the windshield more.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by DSRIDER View Post
    Who's going to go first here and give us a report? This is the shield I have been leaning toward.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    David Fick
    08-09-10
    I have the new Cee Bailey's tall windshield (pics below), modified by drilling to use the extra BMW touring windshield support. It is the best of my three so far (original, and BMW touring tall version - both of these directed wind straight at me).

I need a bit more height and would try a CalSci if I can get another inch or two of height - but it looks like their vent is right where the touruing windshield support would attach. I like the idea of not turning up the bottom wings like all the others, plus it looks wider up high. I want as much protecion as I can get in the winter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F800GS 021.jpg 
Views:	2510 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	5053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F800GS 017.jpg 
Views:	1870 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	5054  

Real Name
    Karl Chen
    09-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Thanks for sharing, I hope "Cee Baily" reflective windshield has improvmed.
    Last Cee Baily windshield for R1150RT have has too much reflection, day or night.
    It is especially noticable in the night sesing headlights reflection on windsheild everywhere. Impossible to concentrate on the road.
    I called it "See (my own) Belly" windshiled and return it.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by dmfick View Post
    I have the new Cee Bailey's tall windshield (pics below), modified by drilling to use the extra BMW touring windshield support. It is the best of my three so far (original, and BMW touring tall version - both of these directed wind straight at me).

I need a bit more height and would try a CalSci if I can get another inch or two of height - but it looks like their vent is right where the touruing windshield support would attach. I like the idea of not turning up the bottom wings like all the others, plus it looks wider up high. I want as much protecion as I can get in the winter!

Real Name
    David Fick
    08-09-10
    Quote Originally Posted by karlcchen View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I hope "Cee Baily" reflective windshield has improvmed.
    Last Cee Baily windshield for R1150RT have has too much reflection, day or night.
    It is especially noticable in the night sesing headlights reflection on windsheild everywhere. Impossible to concentrate on the road.
    I called it "See (my own) Belly" windshiled and return it.

Karl
    Interesting. I have had 5 Cee Bailey windshields and have never had a reflection problem. I did have one distortion issue, but they replaced it. I guess it depends on the application and bike, as every windshield is different by model. I see no reflections or distortions on the tall one they make for the GS. I am still interested in the CalSci if it is an inch taller and can handle being supported by the OEM BMW touring windshield support.

Real Name
    Bruce Bowman
    06-11-11
    Motorcycle
    '10 Tiger 1050
    Interesting. I have had 5 Cee Bailey windshields and have never had a reflection problem. I did have one distortion issue, but they replaced it. I guess it depends on the application and bike, as every windshield is different by model. I see no reflections or distortions on the tall one they make for the GS. ...
    I can confirm that I've not had any issue with reflections on either of 2 Cee Bailey screens. And fortunately no problem with distortion either. Since the screen surfaces aren't optically coated it certainly seems possible to have reflections. It probably has to do with the geometry between the eyes, the screen and where reflections might come from.

Bruce

Real Name
    T
    11-16-10
    my apologies if I come of as a total idiot here, but is there some kind of airflow magic that keeps the rain from coming through the vent in the center of the shield? Would it soak a GPS mounted on the stem?

Real Name
    Karl Chen
    09-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    David,

Did you drilled those two holes youself?
    Cee Baily has two two mountings on the side as well, just like stock. Cal-Sci has eliminated two side mountings - a little bit concerned.

Thanks,
    Karl

Real Name
    Stephanie
    03-10-13
    Quote Originally Posted by krowbar View Post
    my apologies if I come of as a total idiot here, but is there some kind of airflow magic that keeps the rain from coming through the vent in the center of the shield? Would it soak a GPS mounted on the stem?
    I'd really like to know the answer to this as well. I've got a waterproof Garmin 76CSX, but still don't want it sopping wet.
    ---Stephanie---
    2008 F650GS (Jutta) with ABS , 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S, 2003 VW Golf TDI (Teddy) 

Real Name
    David Fick
    08-09-10
    David,

Did you drilled those two holes youself?
    Cee Baily has two two mountings on the side as well, just like stock. Cal-Sci has eliminated two side mountings - a little bit concerned.

Thanks,
    Karl
    I did drill the two holes for the BMW touring windshield support myself. I mounted the windshield using the standard screws. It lined up very nicely and snuged up against the added tall touring windshied support with no stress, so I drilled two small pilot holes from behind the support through the windshield, and then removed the windshield and enlarged them to the same size as all the others. No problem at all. I think the two side screws are essential and am also concerned about how firm the CalSci would be at high speeds, especially the tall version. The BMW mountiing system, both stock and the touring support, triangulate the windshield, which adds to stability and strength. I get the CalSci argument that flipping it back on the bottom increases turbulence, so would be willing to give their's a try if it is at least an inch taller than my tall Cee Bailey windshield.

12-08-13
    Interesting. I have had 5 Cee Bailey windshields and have never had a reflection problem. I did have one distortion issue, but they replaced it. I guess it depends on the application and bike, as every windshield is different by model. I see no reflections or distortions on the tall one they make for the GS. I am still interested in the CalSci if it is an inch taller and can handle being supported by the OEM BMW touring windshield support.
    Same here, I have a Cee Bailey on our RT and as a winter shield for my GT, never had an issue with reflection. The screen on the GT is a light tint as well.
    His - '07 K1200GT, '09 F800GS
    Hers - '04 R1150RT
    Ours - 07 F800ST  

Real Name
    Karl Chen
    09-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Not sure why you said cal-sci don't have 1" higher windshield than cee bailey?

From their website for F650/F800 TWIN:

Cal-sci have heights: 16.5", 19" and 21".
    Cee-Bailey height: 16",18",20"

Karl

I did drill the two holes for the BMW touring windshield support myself. I mounted the windshield using the standard screws. It lined up very nicely and snuged up against the added tall touring windshied support with no stress, so I drilled two small pilot holes from behind the support through the windshield, and then removed the windshield and enlarged them to the same size as all the others. No problem at all. I think the two side screws are essential and am also concerned about how firm the CalSci would be at high speeds, especially the tall version. The BMW mountiing system, both stock and the touring support, triangulate the windshield, which adds to stability and strength. I get the CalSci argument that flipping it back on the bottom increases turbulence, so would be willing to give their's a try if it is at least an inch taller than my tall Cee Bailey windshield.

01-03-15
    Originally Posted by krowbar

Quote Originally Posted by dresda View Post
    I'd really like to know the answer to this as well. I've got a waterproof Garmin 76CSX, but still don't want it sopping wet.
    i can just imagine telling the hardley guys I just bought a screen with a big hole in the middle I would never hear the end of it

Real Name
    T
    11-16-10
    emailed CalSci. They said that nothing will stop the rain and bugs. It helps with airflow. They were very prompt and honest. No doubt it's a great shield. Personally I can't deal with the opening (10 in. sq.). I'm flawed.

Real Name
    Karl Chen
    09-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Opening to reduced turbulence. Very effective on my 2004 R1150RT with their high and wide windsheild.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by krowbar View Post
    emailed CalSci. They said that nothing will stop the rain and bugs. It helps with airflow. They were very prompt and honest. No doubt it's a great shield. Personally I can't deal with the opening (10 in. sq.). I'm flawed.

08-24-09
    We tested and now have the CalSci on my wife's F650GS Twin.

She's SO happy with it over her original OEM low screen. Buffeting at all speeds is GONE. She has ridden it in a pouring rain and the hole really does not get the stuff behind it does not get any wetter than normal.

I took her bike out and tried it at high speed, much higher than she'll ever ride it and bserved the CalSci screen was very stable and didn't vibrate very much at all. Not even enough to really notice or be a distraction.

Bottom line it, it works as advertized, Mark at CalSci is a great guy to work with and above all, my wife is happy.

And we all know that a happy wife is much easier to live with!

(I'm so impressed with the CalSci screen that I also have one on my R1200GS that I'll use during early and late riding seasons here in the north woods when the temps require a little extra wiind protection.)

Real Name
    Karl Chen
    09-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Buffeting is gone? Compared to which make of high windshield?
    As BMW original low screen doesn't have buffeting, the wind just directly hit rider directly on upper body. As for BMW touring windshield, wind hit mostly head and both arms too.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post

She's SO happy with it over her original OEM low screen. Buffeting at all speeds is GONE. She has ridden it in a pouring rain and the hole really does not get the stuff behind it does not get any wetter than normal.

I took her bike out and tried it at high speed, much higher than she'll ever ride it and bserved the CalSci screen was very stable and didn't vibrate very much at all. Not even enough to really notice or be a distraction.

Bottom line it, it works as advertized, Mark at CalSci is a great guy to work with and above all, my wife is happy.

(I'm so impressed with the CalSci screen that I also have one on my R1200GS that I'll use during early and late riding seasons here in the north woods when the temps require a little extra wiind protection.)

08-24-09
    She's only 5'6" sitting on a low seat and low chasis - got a lot of buffetting. So much so that she could not and would not drive at freeway speeds without severe neck pain resulting.

I can't make any comparison as I never rode it without the CalSci screen on it.

Your experience may vary.....

22. Thankskarlcchen thanked for this post

Real Name
    Karl Chen
    09-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I see, I would like to see a comparison of buffeting on Calsci and others ( like Cee Bailey ) - probably not likely to happen soon.

BTW, I am 5'7" with F650GS lower seat, but don't remember any buffeting with low windshield. Just a lot of wind on upper body and noise too. I have BMW touring windshield now and would like a taller windshield for winter too.

Thanks,
    Karl

She's only 5'6" sitting on a low seat and low chasis - got a lot of buffetting. So much so that she could not and would not drive at freeway speeds without severe neck pain resulting.

I can't make any comparison as I never rode it without the CalSci screen on it.

Your experience may vary.....

Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Chief Pilot, How tall are you and what size screen do you have on her bike? I think this is the screen I will buy but am wondering which size to get. Thanks!

08-24-09
    THe one on her bike is the medium size, not exactly sure what that one is.

I'm 6'1". 33" inseam riding her low seat.

To be fair, I just took her bike ot for a short ride today, and have this to report:

Outside air temp = 31 Deg F
    Calm winds and sunshine.

I again was impressed. The air flow was about 3-4" above my helmet. Excellent coverage and protection for the rider. Was out about 30 minutes without my ATGATT, just some warm clothes and thought if I had my windproof riding gear on I could have ridden all afternoon. And that was mainly because of the protection afforded by the CalSci wind screen. (I think I'll add the fairing wind deflectors for her as there was plenty of breeze on my lower legs.)

I placed my hand behind the hole in the screen to see what kind of force was blowing onto the rider and bar mounted farkles. It was clear that any force of the incoming wind through the hole was pretty much non-existant by the time it reaches the center of the handle bars. I didn't notice anything ay all with a bared hand (took glove off) from that point to my chest area.

Again, I'm sold on these screens for rider comfort and protection without anything like the Aero Flow type screens which are much larger and obstrusive.

Add Mark's (CalSci) great customer service and quick handling of order and shipping...Well, you'd have to go a long way to beat his products.

Real Name
    Jim
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Have you seen any concerns with the taller screen and using only the 4 stock mounting points?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Blue 2009 F650GS - H-B crash bars, TT luggage rack, Pelican top case, BMW Vario Panniers & bash plate, 20mm handlebar risers, LED voltmeter, Sargent seat, MudSling, a few other trinkets ... I may be just about at the end of the farkle train  

08-26-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwooden View Post
    Have you seen any concerns with the taller screen and using only the 4 stock mounting points?

Thanks,
    Jim
    That was my concern exactly. I decided to go with another brand for a large, winter, screen that uses more mounting points. I'll likely purchase a medium CalSci (smallest size they offer on this bike) for summer use, though.

That's my plan for now, anyway...
    Hej på dej!! 

Real Name
    Patrick
    08-31-11
    ChiefPilot, does her bike have handguards? Was there any clearance issues?

08-24-09
    No issues with the handguards on her bike which are the OEM ones with the metal and plastic version of the handguards.

Mark @ CalSci has worked the screens so they fit and function with the handguards in the proper position.

Real Name
    Patrick
    08-31-11
    I'll probably going to get the Cali Scientific. The TT screen is a little short for me. I'm 5'-10" and have the std. seat. I need about 2" - 3" more screen height.

My new TT screen is for sale on ADVrider for 25% off what I paid.

Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I just received the cali sci shield and I'm very impressed with it. He has added brackets made out of the same material as the shield that connect to the brackets on the side of the bike. The shield is very stable and I think it looks great on the bike. My only problem is I should have ordered the large shield. I am just under 6' and I want it to be a couple inches taller. Most of the air goes over my helmet but if I duck down a couple inches it is very still and quiet down there. I may keep the medium shield for summer but I know I want the large for colder weather. I am definitely sold on the quality, appearance, and function. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

08-24-09
    I've ridden the medium screen on my wife's bike with the low seat.

I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam and the air is up just over my helmet sitting straight up.

I'm sure that a standard seat would put the air flow onto my helmet.

As cold as she gets, she'll ride that screen all year long.

Enjoy yours, they are a great screen.

Real Name
    Patrick
    08-31-11
    I just received the cali sci shield and I'm very impressed with it. He has added brackets made out of the same material as the shield that connect to the brackets on the side of the bike. The shield is very stable and I think it looks great on the bike. My only problem is I should have ordered the large shield. I am just under 6' and I want it to be a couple inches taller. Most of the air goes over my helmet but if I duck down a couple inches it is very still and quiet down there. I may keep the medium shield for summer but I know I want the large for colder weather. I am definitely sold on the quality, appearance, and function. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
    Which seat do you have?

Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Right now the "regular" stock seat.

12-29-09
    She's only 5'6" sitting on a low seat and low chasis - got a lot of buffetting. ...
    Thanks for describing my wife and her new (on order) 650 GS.

What size Cal Sci windshield did you buy?

My wife will be running at interstate plus speeds for longer distances

Currently she is running a Wunderlich Windshield on her 2007 F 650 and has had great luck with it. I bought a CalSCI for my GT and was very impressed with the service.

Thanks for your help.

Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I asked chiefpilot the same question earlier in the thread, hers is the medium shield.

Real Name
    Patrick
    08-31-11
    It could be a mistake to order the shortest windscreen, just hoping that it will work. I learned that lesson.

Buy the tallest one made, and if necessary, cut it down. It's an easy 30-45 minute job with a dremel. Use a cut-off wheel to get off the bulk of it off, and then follow up with a small sanding bit to get the edges you want, then put a smooth edge on with some fine-grit sandpaper. I've done this with other plexiglass screens, and it's very easy.

Real Name
    Karl Chen
    09-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Is there a picture of what new side brackets for Cal-sci Windshield look alike?
    I tried their website, but see no new picture or anything about brackets.

Thanks,
    Karl

Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I will take a picture and post it tomorrow. Merry Christmas all!!

Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Is there a picture of what new side brackets for Cal-sci Windshield look alike?
    I tried their website, but see no new picture or anything about brackets.

Thanks,
    Karl
    here are some photos of the brackets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shield 004.jpg 
Views:	1788 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	5645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shield 001.jpg 
Views:	1167 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	5646  

41. Thankskrowbar thanked for this post

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    here are some photos of the brackets
    Do these brackets come with the winshield or are the extra? If extra how much extra?

Thanks, Jack

Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Do these brackets come with the winshield or are the extra? If extra how much extra?

Thanks, Jack
    They were not extra, they came with the shield.

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    Thanks, I will be ordering mine as soon as they are open after the holidays.

Jack

Real Name
    Tom
    09-21-10

Hi David,

I don't mean to threadjack but quick question on whose top trunk that is with backrest. It looks like it would work well and be comfortable. Thanks! Tom
    I need a snappy line and an avatar  

Real Name
    David Fick
    08-09-10
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo View Post
    Hi David,

I don't mean to threadjack but quick question on whose top trunk that is with backrest. It looks like it would work well and be comfortable. Thanks! Tom
    That's the standard BMW Vario case designed for the GS bikes. They sell an accessory backrest for that case - not sure but I think it was about $90. My wife says it works fine, although it isn't nearly as cushy as the ride on our K12000LT, with its heated backrest, seat, and her arm rests.

Real Name
    Harry
    11-17-10
    Could those who have CalSci windshields comment on the level of noise reduction they experienced? Please also indicate the helmet(s) worn as it would be interesting to see which have the most noise reduction in combination with the CalSci windwhield. Do you also use ear plugs?

Thank you!
    Harry
    -------------
    2009 BMW F650GS (June/2009) 

08-24-09
    My wife's F650 Twin with the CalSci screen does afford a level of wind noise reduction for her. However, she always wears ear plugs of some form when she rides.

Also, for those above asking about the new brackets on the screen. We tested the screen before the brackets were used and didn't really notice much screen vibration. with them on there is none.

Good luck.

49. ThanksJohn Spartan thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I now have the large screen and there is some wind noise. Mainly when it is very windy, which is pretty common in Oklahoma this time of year. When the wind is moderate or less, wind noise is minimal. What I like about the shield is the head buffeting is all but gone. The only time I feel the wind on my helmet is when there is a severe cross wind. I am VERY pleases with the shield over-all.

51. Thankstomo thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Tim Jacobi
    05-14-12
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Forgot to say my helmet is the shoei rf1000. I don't wear earplugs. I have tried earplugs with the helmet, but I prefer to not wear them with a helmet. I'm getting ready to go for a long ride and the wind is 25 mph out of the south. If I have any more thoughts after the ride I will report.

Real Name
    Tom
    09-21-10
    Any comments on Givi screen and wind noise?
    I need a snappy line and an avatar  

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    Ztech is just announcing a new Vstream for the 800/650. If it is as good as my Vstream on my RT it should be great!

Jack

55. Thankstomo thanked for this post

05-28-09
    [quote=ChiefPilot;210839] (I think I'll add the fairing wind deflectors for her as there was plenty of breeze on my lower legs.)

Thanks to everyone for your excellent feedback on the screens. I haven't even got my 650GS TWIN yet but will have it in a few weeks (waiting for the Ontario spring!). I know I'll need a tall windscreen as I prefer the calm air & drone of the engine when I'm on the highway vs wind noise.

ChiefPilot, the fairing deflectors you refer to - are those the new bracket bits that you said CalSci recently added to the wings of the shield? Did they make any difference to wind on your legs? I'm thinking of adding these deflectors as well:

Real Name
    Jim
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    [QUOTE=Bundt;240330]
    (I think I'll add the fairing wind deflectors for her as there was plenty of breeze on my lower legs.)
    ChiefPilot, the fairing deflectors you refer to - are those the new bracket bits that you said CalSci recently added to the wings of the shield? Did they make any difference to wind on your legs? I'm thinking of adding these deflectors as well:

Bundt:
    The F650GS has different fairings than the 800 and even though the wind deflectors are stated to fit the 650 I have read that several folks would <ehem> offer differing opinions. I do recall one guy mounted them upside down and they fit better that way, in his opinion, on the 658.

I guess what I'm trying to say here while still on my first cup of coffee is that if you get these for your 650 make sure you have return privileges as you may not like them once you try to fit them.

Jim
    Blue 2009 F650GS - H-B crash bars, TT luggage rack, Pelican top case, BMW Vario Panniers & bash plate, 20mm handlebar risers, LED voltmeter, Sargent seat, MudSling, a few other trinkets ... I may be just about at the end of the farkle train  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast