BMW F800 Forum banner

Oil seepage from weep hole on water pump?

80K views 190 replies 44 participants last post by  R100GS 
#1 ·
So today I was inspecting my radiator hoses to see if they were creeping off... (they weren't)

BUT I noticed a wet oily spot about the size of a nickle under what I "assume" is the weep hole for the water pump. It's on the bottom side of the pump housing up toward the front.

I cleaned it all up and will just keep an eye on it and see if more oil appears.... might just be left over from the machining and assby process...

But ... of course I wondered if anybody else had noticed something similar?

Thanks,
jim

#32 ·
My pump started weeping oil at about 2,000 miles. The quantity was small but it did wick around the cylinder head to block crevices initially causing me some concern until I cleaned it off with some brake clean and confirmed it was just the water pump.

I used a rather unorthodox method of resealing it.

1: remove oil dipstick and radiator cap, not the expansion tank cap but the radiator cap itself. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!, if you don't remove the oil dipstick AND the RADIATOR cap (not the expansion tank cap!!!) you risk pressurizing these systems and blowing a lot of shit up in the next step!

2: clean the inside of the water pump cavity by squirting lots of soap and water in the weep hole

3: take a blow gun with a rubber tip attached to an air compressor and pressurize the hell out of the water pump weep hole cavity.

4: Bleed the air out of the cooling system that this procedure installs using the bleed bolt and procedure BMW prescribes.

This method worked for me, or at least it has for the last 3,000 miles, no more oil weep.
I believe the deal is during assembly the lip on the oil seal got turned inside out on the pump shaft and pressurizing the cavity reversed it.

I have some experience using this method from my Volvo service manager days on all manner of seals when lip reversal is the problem and I can somehow get air pressure on the outside of the seal.

THIS IS NOT an approved BMW method. My BMW dealership's service manager was appalled at my method lol. On the other hand he is not going to void my water pumps warranty because he had already ordered another pump to replace mine before I fixed it on my own, now he has a pump in stock if someone else needs it. or if mine starts leaking again some day.

The F800GS demonstrator at same dealership also weeps oil from this hole but only a very tiny amount, much less then mine did. As I understand it BMW may not warranty a pump for a very slight weep but will for a drip like mine had. Not surprising, Volvo does exactly the same.

I would not suggest this procedure for anyone not qualified and it is easiest to just let the dealer deal with it, but it may be useful for anyone out of warranty although it will only help if the oil or water seal lip is truly reversed.

Once again, if you do this, remove the oil dipstick and radiator cap and leave them off during pressurizing the weep hole cavity. Then bleed your cooling system of air bubbles.
Neither is hard but if you don't do them BAD things will happen [:)]

#37 ·
clearance......

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I had not thought through the "clearance" issues, but from the pictures in the shop manual the part is pretty "thick" and as a result could be hard to "thread" out from between the engine & frame ...

Based on that, I may just let mine weep for a while and see what happens... or try Joel's approach ;)

Jim

#38 ·
Speaking of K1300's, my dealer tells me that they have been very reliable - except for the new "Japanese-style" turn indicator switch gear. Apparently, quite a few of these switches have been failing on the new bikes and have needed replacement. It sounds like BMW continues to have problems with equipment supplier quality control. :confused:

#39 ·
I've got to say the jap style switch was my least favourite bit of this otherwise VERY nice bike. Switch felt cheap.

After 5 days on it - jumping back on to my 658 felt a tad strange, but the paddles fell easily to hand.

(However...I do miss that 175 hp, the turbine sounding engine, fantastic braking, amazing stability, good pillion comfort, and the rush when rolling that throttle on. $29k is just a bit hard to come at though).

#40 ·
Hello!
My 650 has leaked from day one, it´s not a lot but it is there. Has anyone had this problem and not done anything about it? like it could be from the assambly and maybe stop after a couple of more miles. I´ve spoken to the dealer and they will look at it at the next (first) service but i would like to keep my bike out of the shop for a few more months if it´s going to take 3-5 days to fix, we have some great riding weather in sweden at moment and soon enough it´s going to get really cold and dark around here, then they can have my bike for as long as it take [:)]

/Mike

#41 ·
Mike:

Likewise mine has been leaking "weeping" ... since new, but not very much.
I think if the dealer has the parts in stock this should be not more than a couple hours work.
On the other hand, while I could be wrong, I don't see any reason to panic over getting it replaced right away.
I have personally decided to wait until closer to the end of the standard warranty period so as to get a free coolant change out of it and a new pump closer to time the warranty expires.

I have talkd to my local dealer about it and he was pretty laid back about the whole thing.
"$hit happens, let us know, we'll order in the parts, and fix it whenever it's good for you"

#44 ·
Mike:

Where in Sweden? What dealer?

Brgds

Daniel
Hej Daniel, skriver väl på knagglig engelska så att dom andra också förstår.

The company that´s going to do the service is KW-service in Strängnäs, but the bike is bought very close to you [:)] at Bikestop.
I talked to a few bmw dealers before i came in contakt with Claes
at Bikestop and i have only god things to say about them so far.

/Mike

#47 ·
Thanks! for the reply!

Mine seems to have stopped for the time being, so maybe it was some assembly lubricant that has now finished "melting out" of the pump. I noticed a trickle of anti-freeze down the side of the engine (from the pump)right after my pump housing was sanded and new hose fitted by the dealer but that has not re-occured either so I'm just kinda watching .... with 2 years of warranty left I'm not excited about it ... Yet ;-)

I'm in the middle of a 2K mile ride and so far no issues!

Jim

#48 ·
All,
My water pump has been weeping since I bought the bike, at first I thought it was just the grease melting out but it has continued to weep (I now have 4200 mi.). The amount is very small and the leak seems to be affected by the temperature of the engine, since I get more after a long hot ride. I did a track day a couple of weekends ago and noticed a bit more weeping as a result of the "brisk" pace that I ran the bike. I think that it has probably leaked a teaspoon full of oil total in 4500 mi.

I'm going to wait until winter and have my dealer do the water pump and fuel tank replacement all together.
Mike

#49 ·
My guess is that the pump seal might have been damaged when the pump was installed at the factory. I agree that the water pump should be replaced by your dealer under warranty.

#50 ·
Mine still weeps after replacement but this time it's just antifreeze and not oil. Like BykMyk says it tends to weep after a long hot "spirited" ride. It doesn't leak much and i'm not too worried. I will just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get any worse.

#52 ·
I had allmost accepted the small amount of oil comming from the weap hole, after some rides there was no oil at all, but yesterday after a not too long ride because of the cold weather i got my fingers oily after checking it out (was trying to get the feel back in my hands after riding a bit to fast for the weather) BMW Sweden has told the dealers that it will go away after a while but i don know if i belive this anymore, well it´s soon winter in Sweden maybe i should just trailer the bike to the shop i bought it from and tell them to fix it and call me in the spring and tell me to come get it.

/Mike

#53 ·
THanks XLV,
Sorry to hear it is winter on your side. Our winters are perfect riding conditions [:D]- no rain,snow or wind. temp range 0-24 deg C. Summer too hot >35deg C [:0]!!!

I also spoke to the dealer and pointed out on a brandnew 800 on the floor my concern:noidea: on the weep hole. He stated " bring her in we will look at it" So next week I will go.

#54 ·
Two weeks ago i had the cylinder head gasket and coolant pump replaced because they where leaking oil.
I went for a short 200km ride this weekend and guess what, there is oil coming out of that weep hole.
I've noticed that it mostly happens after high speed riding, mostly... ;-)
I am going back to the service shop tomorrow to complain once again.

#56 ·
Just came back from the service shop, what they told me is that a small oil leak is normal when a new coolant pump is installed and it will go away. They also said that this happens due to the material used in the coolant pump, they used a greek slang engineering term for the material that i could loosely translate as "carbon based" or something.
Anyway i am going to take a look at the service manual to see if i can figure something out, meanwhile i wiped off the oil and i will do a some hi-speed riding to see if there will be any more leaks.
That's all for now, will keep you posted

#57 ·
As the "thread starter" for this thread I just wanted to comment that my pump seems to have stopped on it's own ... it probably took 1500 - 2000 miles, but now I have no leakage or perhaps a very very slight amount. I think that perhaps it is indeed (in most cases) assembly lube, or something similar. If so maybe some "assemblers" are more generous with the lube and thus more bake-out occurs.

#58 ·
When my pump was leaking it wasn't oil coming out the weep hole, it was coolant. The water pump shaft seal was leaking (internally)and the telltale was the green coolant trail albeit only small traces, coming from the weep hole. Also had the leaking rocker cover (oil leak) at same time. Dealer fixed both at the time and has been fine since. You may be right with the assumption about excessive assembly grease appearing - but mine was definitely coolant. (ref my previous posts).

Bill.

#59 ·
Yup... you needed a pump....
Me I think I just needed a beer ;-)
Or ... as my kids say ... a "chill pill" ;-)

#60 ·
That thing still leaks oil. I had a 370km trip yesterday and guess what, oil all over the cylinder originating from that weep hole...
May be i should just throw in some fries while it is still hot....
Back to the service shop on Friday with an "I thought oil should stay INSIDE the motor" attitude [}:)]

#62 ·
I have been away from the site for almost two months and thought I should check in on the water pump discussion...I mentioned the leak to my dealer a couple of weeks after I picked up the bike...he told me to monitor it and they would change it out if it persists.

Pump seal assembly was replaced at 10,000kms, and the drive gears from steel to plastic. Also had the valves checked, got the plugs done (my choice) and had the cam tensioner replaced....to quieten the chain rattle (not sure if that did anything).
Over $400.00 in parts and just under two hous labour at $95.00 per hour. Got to love warranty work.

Now off to the tank thread to see if I need that replaced as well!!!!

#64 ·
I have been away from the site for almost two months and thought I should check in on the water pump discussion...I mentioned the leak to my dealer a couple of weeks after I picked up the bike...he told me to monitor it and they would change it out if it persists.

Pump seal assembly was replaced at 10,000kms, and the drive gears from steel to plastic. Also had the valves checked, got the plugs done (my choice) and had the cam tensioner replaced....to quieten the chain rattle (not sure if that did anything).
Over $400.00 in parts and just under two hous labour at $95.00 per hour. Got to love warranty work.

Now off to the tank thread to see if I need that replaced as well!!!!
The water pump gear is now PLASTIC? :confused:
I wonder if that was to quiet things down or make things less expensive to mfg..... or both [err]

I guess since some of it was warranty work you only got nicked for part of the time spend?

#63 ·
If it comes from the water pump it is the grease in the bearing leaking out past a seal that is failing. It can be hard to tell,as grease will separate into its components and the thinner ones will leak out first. Ever have a tub of grease and it appears to have oil on top? Have you seen dried out grease? Its the same thing The pump needs to be changed.

#65 ·
I hate plastic gears. They usually don't hold up under constant heat and exposure to hot oil and coolant. The original F650 single had (maybe still has) a plastic water pump impeller and gear and they used (still do?) fail regularly. I think replacing water pump impellers and seals are the number one repair task on those engines.

#67 ·
I have no pics but you have to look under and up but i dont think you´ll be able to see something it is mutch easier to use a finger and feel the little hole (yes that sounded a bit dirty i´m sorry) but if you have the leak you should be able to see a small trail of oil on the right side of yor top end.

/M

#68 ·
Went to the service shop today (actually i went to two of them) complaining about the oil leak.

Service Shop #1:
It is normal to have a leak during the first 5K km !!!!! ( i had the water pump replaced 3K km ago) so give it a couple of K km and come back.
Service Shop #2:
It should not leak at all, we will change it again.
Yet another inconsistency in problem resolution from BMW service shops in Greece....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.