BMW F800 Forum banner

F800GT Toothed Drive Belt

118K views 237 replies 53 participants last post by  Redned 
#1 ·
If anybody is looking to purchase a new drive belt for their F800GT here in the US, they will have to wait until a new ship load (air load?) arrives from Germany, estimated at 4 to 6 weeks. I'm told that there are none available, anywhere. My GT, which has never travelled off asphalt, somehow caught a stone between the belt and the rear sprocket which put a bulge into the belt and appears to have cut one of the belt cords (a line has appeared halfway across the width of the belt around the perimeter). So, apart from the outrageous cost (almost US$500!) I now have to await until that ship/plane arrives, with a recommendation not to ride the bike with the damaged belt. Is it unreasonable to expect BMW to stock this part here in what is probably their largest customer base? Oh yes, even if I should find a dealer that may have one buried in their stockroom somewhere (I've tried, but no luck) then the freshly imported one cannot be returned to BikeBandit (the cheapest source that I found) because it is a special order item.

I wonder as to the cost, and availability, of a similar item from Harley Davidson?

#55 ·
I spent two months researching the belt issue on the F800ST, this does not apply to the GT! The only belt that will fit our S/ST is made by Continental in Germany. There are European sites that will sell the belt for approx $140 Euros plus $70 Euros shipping. I have worked to obtain a direct relationship with Continental, not easy and have sold 20 belts to site members for $200/delivered US and Canada via two day air. I do make a few $$$ for the hassle and my time, but did it because the BMW part was a rip off. I have to pay for the order up front, which I did on the last order, and a minimum of 10 belts. I will be happy to place another order, same price but it takes about 5 weeks since it is sent via container from Germany. No way to expedite. Here is the link to a previous post, let me know if interested. Ian

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/231489-f800-Drive-Belts-New-200?highlight=belt

#61 ·
If you think every other builder charges for parts and service like BMW does you've obviously never owned any other make of motorcycle. My dealer sells every Western European brand there is, in addition to BMW, but even though the same techs work on all the bikes their shop rate for BMWs is MUCH higher. That is standard everywhere you go. Why?

BMW parts are much more expensive, but they don't last any longer. Why the cost?

Because they CAN. You are correct: It's a business model. Nothing more. There is no justification for it.

Triumph does do some dumb things. They don't seal up their electronics, so if you drop one in a river crossing you're screwed. Kind of a big deal, in Siberia. It doesn't affect ME because I live in a desert, but I would never ride a Triumph around the world. (Though people do, quite successfully.) My bike of choice for that sort of duty would be an old Africa Twin.

But seriously......if you don't mind paying $500 for a $100 belt, I'm not here to argue with you. Plenty of people are happy to pay $10,000 for a Rolex that doesn't keep time any better than a $10 Timex. Spending extra money for no logical reason appeals to some folks, and to them I say "enjoy."

I am not one of those people, and I'm glad I bailed before I had to endure THAT insult from BMW. It would have taken years off my life.

#62 ·
I am not one of those people, and I'm glad I bailed before I had to endure THAT insult from BMW. It would have taken years off my life.
Oh, now you've got my attention. If I dump my BMW, I'll live longer? I'm for that. I'll dump both my BMWs! I'll buy a third and dump that, too. [:D]

Seriously, it's not that I enjoy or approve of price inflation on BMW (and Victory and Harley and .....) parts, it's just that I don't equate it with the collapse of civilization.

#64 ·
Resale value has nothing to do with it. BMW rips you off on parts prices, and colludes with suppliers to keep parts out of your hands until they've extracted their pound of flesh.

My Rolex vs. Timex analogy was poor. I retract it.

What's really happening is BMW is forcing you to pay Rolex money for a Timex belt. It's the same drive belt everyone else has. The only reason it's $500 is that BMW won't ALLOW you to access it for less.

I get that you don't mind. But other people do.

I'll tell you something else: If you're intellectually honest, when the time comes, you will skip the above-mentioned offer to obtain an OEM belt for $200 and, instead, by conscious choice, pay $500 to a dealer for the exact same item.

I bet you don't. I bet you quietly save yourself $300. I accept your apology in advance. [:D]

Reactions: Casey851
#66 · (Edited)
Mickey its no longer an issue for you so why worry what F800 owners have to pay for parts.

You weren't happy paying inflated prices for parts so you bought something else. Others are obviously not that bothered and will stick with what they have.

It seems to me that the biggest complainer about the cost of BMW belts is actually someone who doesn't even own the bike they're complaining about.

#70 ·
Mickey its no longer an issue for you so why worry what F800 owners have to play for parts.

You weren't happy paying inflated prices for parts so you bought something else. Others are obviously not that bothered and will stick with what they have.

It seems to me that the biggest complainer about the cost of BMW belts is actually someone who doesn't even own the bike they're complaining about.
OOOO!! Mickey , what have you got for that one !:rolleyes:

#67 ·
There is no question BMW is a 'luxury' brand which implies status perhaps more than anything practical, and so are renowned for generally costing more up front and having parts and service costs set above most of the rest. Do they always warrant this extra cost in terms of what they produce and how they function? I don't think so whatsoever. But since this is known by all part of the lure of buying them has to do w/ the status they imply, at least some of the lure, no doubt. And I know Mickey has owned at least a couple of Beemers. If you buy into the brand you do it knowing full well there is a premium to pay. Same same for Mercedes, and the other luxury brands. If you want raw value, buy the Yam FJ-9 for $10,800 MSRP. or the FJR1300ES for $15,511 (quote from local shop). These bikes have ample reliability and low maintenance costs built in.

All this being acknowledged, hopefully someone will produce a replacement belt for a more reasonable cost so that people don't put off the replacement too long trying to save $$. I think this pricing policy & exclusivity w/ Continental by BMW for this belt was not wise as it discourages owners from replacing the belt at their recommended interval which can be a safety concern.

#68 ·
Reading this thread I am reminded of the old slogan that I first heard in the 1960's: The cheapest part of a BMW is the rider sitting on top of it. [:D]

#73 ·
You know what? You've convinced me. I was all turned around on this.

1. My Triumph will explode and kill me. Soon. I'm trading it back for a BMW before I have to learn what a horrid POS it is, and accepting the enormous depreciation hit since it has no resale value.

2. I WANT to pay $500 for a $100 item because BMW colluded with a supplier to keep me from getting a standard item for a standard price. It doesn't matter. After all, it's an expensive bike, and what's another $400 more or less? Besides, I love to have large, sharply barbed objects forcibly jammed up my tender chute by a counter clerk with blue and white propellers on his spotless uniform. I'm funny like that. My dealer thoughtfully provides a ball gag for my use during the process.

Sound reasonable? There. We're all in agreement. "Oooga-chucka Ooga-chucka ONE OF US. ONE OF US......."

Reactions: coffee
#75 ·
You know what? You've convinced me. I was all turned around on this.

1. My Triumph will explode and kill me. Soon. I'm trading it back for a BMW before I have to learn what a horrid POS it is, and accepting the enormous depreciation hit since it has no resale value.

2. I WANT to pay $500 for a $100 item because BMW colluded with a supplier to keep me from getting a standard item for a standard price. It doesn't matter. After all, it's an expensive bike, and what's another $400 more or less? Besides, I love to have large, sharply barbed objects forcibly jammed up my tender chute by a counter clerk with blue and white propellers on his spotless uniform. I'm funny like that. My dealer thoughtfully provides a ball gag for my use during the process.

Sound reasonable? There. We're all in agreement. "Oooga-chucka Ooga-chucka ONE OF US. ONE OF US......."
So glad you've come to your senses,Mickey,now when you've changed back don't forget when you part with your hard earned to ask for all the accessories and "extras" that come at the same extortionate prices as the belt and servicing,etc,'cause you don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security when they offer you that complementary cup of coffee,bless 'em.[hide]

#74 ·
Just for perspective, when a chain drive needs to be replaced, a proper job requires replacement of the chain and both front and rear sprockets. I just did this on my Honda CBR250R at 18,000 miles. Cost of parts was about $150 and cost of labor was also $150, so it was a $300 job or $0.017 per mile ridden. That does not include the cost of chain cleaner & lube applied every 300 miles or so for the life of the chain & sprockets.

#77 ·
We never factored in the cost of paying a BMW tech to change the belt. I do all my own work, so that didn't enter into the discussion.....so far.

Anybody dare ask them what they charge for that service? I bet they're similarly flattering about your ability to pay.

And, indeed, I hadn't considered that 25 cent squirt of spray every 300 miles. That's not NEARLY expensive enough! What am I, some kind of COMMONER? Next time I spray the chain I'll be sure and throw an entire CASE of chain lube spray in the trash just to establish my position in society.

#80 ·
I believe that belt replacement takes about 2 hours of shop labor. You can do the math. :rolleyes:

#89 ·
FYI only: this is the OEM-identical ST belt *NOT* the GT belt (swingarm ~2 inches longer):

http://aam-europe.contitech.de/pages/pic/produkte.cshtml?lg=en&applg=en&ArtikelID=CT1158
Timing belt CT1158
Profile CTD
Number of teeth 173
Tooth pitch (t) [mm] 11
Width [mm] 34

The carmaker - and not the belt maker - is always the one to say how often you should inspect and replace a belt.
ContiTech recommends changing the belt every 120,000 km if in doubt.
Example source, 118.95 GBP:
http://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/contitech-7004352.html

#90 ·
Alistair or anyone: have you thought about regular spraying, maybe every few weeks of riding, of the belt teeth w/ high quality pure silicone spray for friction reduction, maybe translating to a little less heat, and better wear of the tips of the teeth? I'm trying it on my 22.5K belt just to see if the rubber appears to get tacky or soft from the volatiles in the spray in which case that would not be good. It's food-grade silicone though and seems very safe to reduce friction between belt and sprockets.

#91 ·
Noel, I have read some posts by drag racing guys who lube their blower (supercharger) belts with wax. One of them said Harley used to sell a spray wax for belt lubrication.

I wonder if treadmill belt wax might also be a solution?

Also: do not use automotive "belt dressing". This is designed to increase friction for V-belt and serpentine V-belt drives.

#92 ·
Silicone spray seems like such a cool product. It makes thing slick and there is no visible residue at least to the naked eye. I know it makes my luggage latches work much better, and it doesn't stain anything. I'm going to keep adding silicone every few weeks and see if anything nasty starts happening. If not, I'm going to assume it's a good thing. One could argue a big reason for having a belt drive is low/no maintenance so this sort of negates that, except at least it's clean.

#93 ·
Silicone spray is rather nice but I'd worry about the long term effects of the solvents on the belt. While some rubbers may not be impacted (I've use it on some O rings on moving parts for a very long time with no ill effects) others may degrade quickly.

I'd be very interested in what you find out!

#95 ·
Thanks I will look deeper into it. There are apparently a variety of silicone sprays but I think it absolutely warrants a closer look before deciding to use it routinely. HD makes some kind of belt conditioner product I see. Some sprays are mostly petroleum based w/ silicone added, and others are like the one I'm trying 'pure silicone spray' which means it has volatiles that vaporize faster than ether so don't have long to interact w/ rubber, and so are called 'dry' silicone spray. I'm wondering if maybe the 'it' you tried was more of the very light oil w/ some silicone added, versus pure which so far is not leaving visible residue. I do have an op to observe for any visible downside since my belt now is only 1.5K miles from the 'recommended' change interval. I did apply some initially about 1800 miles ago and all appears well so far.

#99 ·
We went from a post on 9/11/2015 to an hour ago. No one said anything in between. What was the problem?

Oh yes...it was the riders being upset about spending $500 on a belt that won't be replaced normally till about 36,000 miles. I just skimmed through the posts, but it seemed like with the exception of the original poster, none of those who added their thoughts had actually replaced the belt.

Now that I think about it, $500 is a lot to pay for a belt. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 a couple years ago and didn't blink more than twice for that cost, and it was a couple hundred more. For a phone. I think that phone actually costs more than my 50 inch TV does. I'll probably spend nearly as much for my next set of tires as I'll spend for the belt, and the belt will last about 3 times longer.

Put it in perspective, and yes, the belt is expensive...but not as expensive as other things we don't think twice about.

I don't mean to come across sarcastic, but I might've. If so, I'm sorry. Another way to look at this, is part of the reason you're looking at the GT in the first place. I really didn't want a chain on my motorcycle. A shaft drive was the best choice and a maintenance free belt, was a good second choice. And with the GT, you also get a decent amount of protection from the elements, a fantastically fun bike to ride, and one that can cover hundreds of miles, day in and day out. It's all part of the same wonderful package.

Chris

#103 ·
If it boils down to cost consider this sum assuming both bikes wear out their drive lines at the same time

Suzuki : New chain, new front sprocket, new rear sprocket, chain oil to cover 30000 miles, the time taken to check the chain every week, the time taken to adjust the chain every month (at least). Then add, chain snatch and all the crap over your rear wheel.

F800GT : New belt.......that's it

Don't know about you, but I'd rather be riding than adjusting a chain!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.