BMW F800 Forum banner

2016 bmw g310r

10K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  steve n rose 
#1 ·
Look what the NewsBot dredged up: Now we finally know, BMW's new single is 313ccs. And it is chain drive. [:0] And made in India. [:0] [:0] But be sure to read the part about Quality Management. Apparently, BMW does not plan to follow in the footsteps of Royal Enfield when it come to quality control. [:)]

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/2016-bmw-g-310-r/preview.htm

#5 ·
Difficult to know why they chose the 313 cc displacement. Perhaps to put it on level with the other popular ~300 cc displacement bikes by Honda, Kawa, Yamaha, et al. I wouldn't blame BMW for not wanting to get into a displacement and HP war with KTM, as that Austrian maker has determined to push those limits as much as possible. The little BMW is claimed to make 34 HP which should make it easy for beginner riders to handle and given the sport looks, should be popular with young riders.

#4 ·
I agree with Mark. I see a G310GS coming in the near future. Regarding displacement, no doubt BMW will up the displacement in future years to attract sales from G310 owners who want to upgrade. Knowing BMW's marketing past, I sure wouldn't bet against it. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
#8 ·
Read that earlier today. I'm glad to see it coming to the States, but I'm sure we'll be a small share of their market. They're getting set to make a presence in Asia, and South America. I'm sure it won't take long to surpass the sales of our GT's, many times over.

#13 ·
According to the articles that I have read, BMW says the G310R will not be imported into the U.S. until next summer, with the GS following a few months later.

#14 ·
You won't see a 310GS in your showrooms anytime soon. Production is on hold (apparently due to 3td party component issues). I actually thought that I read that on here....maybe some other forum :confused:

Edit: the delays may only affect the Indian market - getting mixed signals on this.

#15 ·
I copied the two attached photos from another forum. They were posted by a fellow who attended the BMW G310R L.A. launch. Apparently one of the bikes that were being ridden by one of the BMW staff (or at least it was on display) was a new G310GS. So apparently they are getting the bike warmed up for the U.S. market, although I still would guess that you won't see one in your local dealer's showroom until later this year. It does look like a typical BMW GS though, so it should sell well, especially if the price in not too much over $5,000 USD.

Attachments

#16 ·
The 2018 G310R is now on my BMW dealer's showroom floor and they sold their first one almost immediately. While I was there, several people were checking out the unsold blue bike. I think the $4,800 MSRP for the G310R is attractive for new riders, although the salesman didn't seem to think much of the bike - leading me to believe that they don't get much of a commission selling that model. I find the reversed cylinder, with the exhaust exiting the rear of the engine to be technically interesting.

Attachments

#18 ·
Went by the local dealer the other day and they have a 310 for test rides. They have no idea when the GS model will be available.
Show room full of new stuff. Hope they can sell the stock before tax time and they get hit for on the floor stuff.
Sale lady and I talked about the bike and the competition of the CSC that comes fully loaded for the base price of the BMW, or less.
With the overly pricey bags the BMW will probably want 6K$ out the door. Get real. She also was mentioning the single like it was a new thing. BMW sales has forgotten it's past of the single 250 of yore.

#20 ·
Reactions: IanA and Richard230
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.