BMW F800 Forum banner

SHAD SH36 hard saddlebags

12K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Daboo 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a set of SHAD SH36 saddlebags and have installed them on the SHAD “P3” mounting system designed for the 2015/16 RS/S (and apparently a long list of other motorcycles, too) on my 2016 R1200RS. The mounting system (naturally) requires the removal of the stock BMW mounting brackets that are supplied with the vehicle - no doubt in the hope that you will purchase the expensive BMW bags to hang on them. While the SHAD brackets are very strong, they are not as unobtrusive as the BMW ones and weigh more. But they do provide an excellent location to grip when placing the bike on or off the center stand. The only issue that I had when installing them was that the supplied instructions had an error. The right side lower attachment fits on the outside of the muffler bracket and not at the inside (nearest the wheel), as shown in the instructions. You will also need a 2” diameter steel washer to protect the rubber washer that is on the muffler bracket from pressure exerted by the saddlebag mount attachment fitting. Now on to the saddlebags:

The saddlebags seem very well made and designed. Since they are a single-wall design, they are much lighter than the R1200R BMW bags that I used to own. I have a very accurate scale. The bags weigh 8.15 pounds (3.675 kg) each and are rated to carry a maximum of 22 pounds per bag. They have a large shelf attached to the inside half of the bags that makes it easy to use the clamshell design and will easily contain a full face helmet. The lock mechanism is very simple and seems sturdy. You receive an extra key and an extra lock with the bags.

The mounting system seems is simple and secure. Nothing fancy, but it works. However the bags are kind of tough to install when new as the lower rubber mount is a tight fit on the mounting bar, as is the upper bag mount. It takes a lot of force to attach the bags to the brackets the first time you try and I found that I needed to spray silicon lube on all of the parts that contact the mounting bars. Once the bags are attached, they seem very secure and there is no movement or rattling while under way. They are relatively wide and appear to extend slightly past the width of the stock RS handlebars. I don't think I will be “splitting lanes” with the bags installed. But then that is what most riders have to think about when using most any hard luggage.

When you purchase the SHAD saddlebags you get your choice of four colored inserts that attach to the top of the bags. I chose the “titanium” color and that is what is shown in the attached photographs. I believe they also can supply, black, white, carbon and dark gray color inserts.

All in all, I am happy with the SHAD SH36 saddlebags and their “3P” mounting system. I feel that they are probably one of the best hard bag values currently available for the BMW R1200RS.

The SHAD SH36 bags sell in the U.S. For $469, with the bag mounts specifically designed for the R/RS going for $125. Oddly, these are the least expensive mounts they sell, with other motorcycle model bag fitment kits going for more, such as the $165 kit for the BMW F800R model. Whatever the price, it is still less than the BMW option and is worth considering if you are in the market for hard plastic saddlebags.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I just purchased a set of inner bags for the SHAD luggage. Normally I would use plastic garbage bags as my luggage liners, but they are getting really expensive in California due to our environmental concerns and are taxed very heavily. [sure] So I invested in a set of real soft bags to fit the SH36 panniers, which I purchased from the U.S. SHAD distributor for only $64 (for both left and right bags). I don't know if they are as fancy as the BMW bags, but sure are cheaper. They seem well made, have a nice smooth nylon liner bonded to the inside of the luggage, have an exterior paper map-size zip pocket on each side, a handle on the top and an included detachable shoulder strap. Seems like a good deal to me. Photos attached.

Attachments

#4 ·
One interesting fact is that the P3 mounting system for the R1200R/RS is the same as for the 2015/16 F800R. Who knew that BMW would make two different displacement models that used the same passenger peg/frame mounting hole spacing? http://www.shadonline.com/category-s/353.htm

#5 ·
Richard,

You are very fortunate that they fit your (model).... as the ones I ordered for my 2010 F800R at the end of December 2015 do not.
The 3P mounts do not fit properly and actually come in contact with the plastic side panels of the bike.
Very poorly designed, in my opinion.
There was an explaination that there was a "bad batch"... and they shipped me another set.
Same issues....

I purchased them from the US...and am quite fedup with being ignored by SHAD USA.
I will more than likely send them back, or just sell the bags (without mounts) locally, it would cost me a fortune to send them back and would probably never see any reimbursement.
I was also promised the inner bags as part of the "deal".....and have yet to receive them.

Pictures and emails back and forth for 5 months, with still no resolve...

:(

#6 ·
I am sorry to hear of your experience with SHAD, Ashley. I have just returned from a 1700 mile ride to the Chief Joseph Rally in Oregon. The SHAD panniers on my RS worked perfectly and didn't leak a drop during a lot of rain riding. My only complaint is that they a a little hard to close when overstuffed, but sitting on the bags helps. :rolleyes: I like the fact that they are lighter and cheaper than the BMW bags, but the BMW bags are probably better designed and more sturdy that the SHAD version. But for my occasional usage, the SHAD bags are working just fine. [:)]

#7 ·
Well, ive given up.
The fact that this issue is still not resolved after near 6 months, the fact that the inquiry that I sent to the head office in Barcelona has yet to be addressed ....and that I was was the one that had to constantly chase the "director" of SHAD USA for answers, is unforgivable.

I was warned by several BMW owners not to buy from SHAD. ...
I requested information on returning the bags and mounts on SEVERAL occasions....and was assured this would be rectifued.

I've been unbelievably patient and polite in dealing with this....and yet, still without anything useable.
Shame that I work hard for my money...to give it to a company that obviously doesn't care about this consumer.

#8 ·
Sorry to hear that this has gone sideways and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Thankfully, because of your concerns and our on going dialogue, I did not order the Shads and went with the BMW sport cases. The irony here is that the BMW luggage is made by Shad, so one would think that they of all companies should have the relationship with BMW to make the SH36 work on the F800r and GT bikes.

Keep pushing to get your money back.

Derek

#9 ·
Derek,

Unfortunately, now they are not even answering my emails......
I sent an email to the head office in Barcelona....and was brushed off, and told to deal with the ones I bought the bags/mounts from (SHAD USA)...

I guess that's it .....close to 800 (CDN).... gone... just left with mounts that don't fit properly...and side cases (and no inner bags, that were promised as part of the deal)

Im very close to posting on youtube..a video I made of how poorly the mounts fit, and the issues.
As well, to post in as many BMW forums as I can...telling of the problems and poor customer service.

#10 ·
As I have said above, the SHAD mounts fit perfectly on my RS. Although there was a minor mistake in the accompanying instructions, I am happy with the hard bags and liners. I had no problems dealing with the U.S. SHAD importer, but it is quite possible that the SHAD factory packaged the wrong bag mounts in the box that was sent to Ashley and now the factory won't admit it and the U.S. distributor is caught in the middle. When looking at the instructions on the bag mounts printed for the RS, I got the impression that whomever prepared them had never installed the mounts on an RS. Their application chart might also be in error. I was really surprised when I saw that the RS bag mounts are exactly the same ones that are claimed to fit on the F800GT. :confused: That seems kind of unlikely to me.

However, in my mind, there is no excuse for not refunding Ashley's money if he is not satisfied with his purchase, no matter what the reason. Also, the fact the Ashley is located in Canada might also have something to do with what is going on. My daughter is the customer service department for a mom-and-pop operation selling lunchboxes all over the world and she is always telling me that shipping stuff across borders can be really problematic. In most cases, when there is a problem in another country and someone receives the wrong item, or one that is defective, (being made in China, this happens all of the time) she just tells them to keep it and they will either send a new item or refund their money. It is too bad we can't hear SHAD's side of the story. [:(]

#11 ·
Richard,

Thank you for the support....
I received an email from the Director of SHAD USA on Saturday... he said he followed up with the head office and was told that hundreds of the 800R mounts have been sold, with no problems.
I think that the majority of customers either don't notice or simply just don't care that the mount touches where it shouldnt.
I was told that they (USA) will physically install a set of mounts on a local dealer or customer bike to verify they fit (or dont) properly.
I have sent detailed photos to show exactly where the issue is...

I'll not hold my breath, but will try to be patient.

The other issue is the inner bags that were initially promised as part of the deal.... but have yet to be received :(
That, is simply someone not honoring their promise. ... not good from a customer point of view and certainly not good sales practice.

#15 ·
Does anyone know if the if there is a fit kit that works on a 2016 F800GT?

denman
It looks like all SHAD has that fits the 2016 F800GT is their top case and mounting system: http://www.shadonline.com/category-s/426.htm

I am not seeing SHAD hard side case mounts that are designed for the GT. However, I bet Givi has something for the GT. They seem to build bag mounts to fit just about every motorcycle made. I suggest doing more research if you want hard cases. On the other hand I have no doubt that there are many universal soft saddlebag systems available that would work with the GT on the market.

#14 ·
Don't want to detract from the use of Shad cases. However, it seems like someone reading this thread might like another alternative choice, besides going back to the BMW cases.

The Shad cases look nice, and I like how you can fit your helmet in them. If I was looking for an alternative to the BMW cases, these would be high on my list.

The previous owner of my F800GT said he did a lot of research on everything he put on the bike. For bags, he used SW-MOTECH Trax 37 liter aluminum cases. So advantages I've seen to them, are that they load from the top. You can't drop your stuff out on the wet ground. They seem indestructible too. A "con" is that you can't fit your helmet in them. (But everything else will fit in them.) Cost seems to be about the same as for the Shad cases, of course to really measure the cost, you need to price all the extras like the mounting hardware too. At that point, I'm not sure how they compare.

There is nothing "sexy" about the looks of the Trax cases. They are functional and just work. But for some reason, like the Madstad windshield...I keep getting compliments on the bike.

Chris

#17 ·
No. Just because there are so many choices on the market and they change all of the time. If you can find some bag mounts that will fit the GT, then any soft luggage can be slung over your seat and the bag mounts will keep them away from your bodywork and side panels. On my F650GS I used the SW Motech quick-detach hard bag mounts and attached a set of Wolfman soft bags to the mounts. Photo attached.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.