Replacement Tire Suggestions?? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Jan F Miller
    08-09-16
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I have a '15 F700GS. Came with Michelin Anakee III's. Wear has been phenomenal, handling very good but not stellar, I feel it's just a bit on the 'heavy' side, hard to define in works, tires may very well enhance high-speed road handling. I don't expect it to be a Ninja, no.

8400 mile on 'em, probably 1500 miles left, but picked up a large puncture so replacements are needed sooner.

Any suggestions?? I ride a bit of gravel, fireroads, mostly pavement, so someting 70-80 street/20-30 off-road would be about right...

many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cheri
    04-09-17
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Tires (like seats and oil) can be a very personal thing. They are very subjective.

My F700GS came with Bridgestone Battle Wing BW-502. And I've been very satisfied with them. I ride mostly paved roads with the occasional dirt and gravel thrown in just to keep things interesting.

I have 20,000 km (12,500 miles), on them and the rear is down to the wear marks—the front can do a little more. I probably should have replaced the rear a little sooner but I wanted to leave it until I do my winter/spring preventative maintenance. I'll be replacing them with the same tires.

We went on a 6000 km (4000 mile) trip last summer riding through all sorts of weather and roads: 6-50°C (43-122°F) temps, cold and wet—torrential downpour with about 2.5-5cm (1-2" )water on the roads to hot and dry, paved asphalt, concrete, dirt roads, heavy gravel, and the occasional potholes. No flats or other problems (knock on wood).

Oh and speeds: from a crawl to a steady130 km/hr (80 mph) for long stretches on highways. They seem to handle fine but I have no experience with other tires on his bike. Cornering is fine, I suspect that if someone wanted more grip on corners they might want a softer tire, but then they would wear out much sooner. I'm not afraid of corners, but with a bike fully loaded with gear and a moderate skill level the tires grip enough for me. I really don't need to be dragging my knees or pegs but I have scraped pegs on slow corners because it is a lowered chassis.

Real Name
    Jan F Miller
    08-09-16
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Thanks for the insite 5ft2.

I went with Continental TKC 70's in stock size. Tire installer ( near Atlanta, that's all he does ) recommended higher tire pressures, 38 rear and front... Anakees were not worn irregularly, or cupped at 9500 miles. Probably had 1000 left in them, but got a large puncture in the rear and it was unsafe to continue to ride on...

Anakees felt kind of heavy in higher speed more technical corners. Conti's are kind of the opposite, almost too willing to turn in.. Nothing is perfect...
    Time will tell....

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rick
    01-27-17
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I replaced my A III 's with Heidenau K60 Scouts. I'm riding about 70/30 pavement / gravel. I really love them so far. I have about 2k on them. Heat/Cold/Wet. They seem to work well at my level of riding. I'm not hardcore. Just out enjoying the ride.

Cheers!
    Not tall enough for a 800GS  

Real Name
    Bill
    12-30-16
    I have used Shinko 705's on a Vstrom and for a low cost alternative they are pretty good. I recently bought Continental TK70's but haven't tried them yet. As tires get worn they have a heavier feel, by heavier I think you mean a little harder to turn/lean. I am fairly impressed by the Bridgestone they come with. I rode Sunday and put on 350 miles with half being gravel and the Bridgestones weren't too bad. The 700Gs is a great gravel road machine!! I love it.

Real Name
    Paul Wilson
    01-03-17
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    I was going for a long off tarred road ride..80-20 and changed to Continental TKC 70's on the advice of my brother who rides a 1200GS, all his mates also use TKC 70's. I found them to be bloody good on the dirt and the tar.

Real Name
    Walt
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Tires are a personal preference. On my 700, I've had 2 sets of Heindaus, one set of TKC 70's, the original Battlewings, and now a set of Anakee 3's. I've found that I don't ride enough mud to justify the Heidenaus, and I did not care at all for the TKC's. so for now, at least during the winter, I will stick with the Anakee's as they are much better in the wet than Heidenaus. I might try the Midus E07 next, but pretty happy with the Anakee's... I am very comfortable with them in gravel and forest roads so just may stick with them even through this summer...

Real Name
    Allan
    02-02-17
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    I've quite liked the AIII's.. Just about to replace the front after 25,000 k's and the back is still going, probably get at least another 5k out of it.. (don't ask me how, but I'll take it) ..
    They aren't as good in the wet as the Pilot Roads I had on my 800st... but not many tyres are..
    I ride dirt, road and freeway every day.. and even get in a few nice turns (I live in the hills)

11. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Allan
    02-02-17
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Got the replacement on Saturday.. went for a ride to scrub in the tyre on Sunday..
    I was told once by a tyre guy when replacing the OEMS on my Subaru, that retail ones are often better, as the OEM's (of the same tyre) can sit in a warehouse for heaps longer..

I have now done about 200 k's on the new tyre and it seems to be much stickier than the original on tarmac.. So.. if you were spooked by the Anakee 3's as the OEM ones, it may be worth considering this.

Real Name
    Walt
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Always not sure by your post which tire you decided on. Did you stay with the A-3's or go to something else?

Real Name
    Allan
    02-02-17
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Always not sure by your post which tire you decided on. Did you stay with the A-3's or go to something else?
    If it's me you are asking, I got a new front A3.. I will replace the back at next service..

Definitely feels stickier than the original

BTW - I live on a dirt road, and the conditions vary greatly through the year. so it goes from gravelly, to muddy with potholes, to hard.. depending on when it was graded and what the weather is like..

Real Name
    greg
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    As this is a recent thread, I'd like to add my 5 cents worth on tyres.
    A friend and myself both bought f700gs 2 years ago, I got Conti trail attack 2s he got Anakee 3s. They both perform very well on tar, but were skatey on gravel and worse with sandy patches.
    After some research (on line and some 3 local bike shop opinions) we decided to switch to Mitas E07's, they are rated 50/50 with reports of good tyre life, performance on dry tar doesn't seem compromised with just a little noise, but off road it transformed the 700's to a much more predictable and confidence inspiring ride.
    As an aside, we also replaced the countershaft sprockets with 16 tooth, this also helped with tractability without any real road speed compromise (3% slower indicated from memory)

Real Name
    Walt
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    I've about ready to go through my second set of Hidenau's. The rear has 13000 and front 12000 miles. Best mileage I've ever gotten out of a set for adventure tires. Still have probably 2 grand left on tftfont but rear is ready. Only minus I can say about the k60s is as they wear down they don't feel planted on asphalt twsties as well as when in prime mileage parameters. So be a bit more cautious as they age.

Real Name
    Walt
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    I hav a new set of E07s ready to mount in a few weeks. Looking forward to testing them out.