Another diappointing year for F800GS, nothing really new for 2017! Why?? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

07-11-16
    Just when I thought that BMW would be motivated to bring something new, like a F900GS or just more goodies to F800, nothing.... Who needs new painted frame?! They seem all excited about this... No wonder so many people are buying Africa TWin and Tiger...
    I want to get another BMW but they are making it very hard to put my hard earned money in another BMW...

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    6 Hours Ago
    I guess the Triumph 800 series hasn't eaten into BMW F700/800GS sales enough yet to motivate them to actually do something. My dealer says they have been spending their time working on another cruiser model. There are also unsubstantiated rumors floating around about a new 500cc boxer, but personally I am not buying into that one.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    NJCostello
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    The only thing I think I would ask for is electronic cruise and adjustable front suspension. The latter i will do myself next year w/ a set of cartridges from Touratech.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Aren't they changing the bikes to electronic throttle by wire? If so, an aftermarket cruise control is only about $250 to add.

I did some reading on comparisons of the Tiger 800 vs the GS. Neither bike is perfect. The Tiger seemed suited for riding on the asphalt primarily and the GS excelled off-road. It didn't seem like a lot to change on the GS that wouldn't take away from the off-road capabilities.

Chris

Real Name
    NJCostello
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    The Tiger is great on the road due to the Triple...super smooth power but IMO is terrible in the dirt. I considered both as well as the Tenere before buying my F and the F won hands down when it came to the dirt side of it. I almost bought a KTM 690 Enduro but the road side of that bike is horrendous and buzzy which took me back to the F. Now KTM is working on a 800 size Enduro/ADv bike which may spark my interest depending on feature set. I love my F though and have it farkled up so most likely its in the stable for a long time.

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    How often is a company supposed to reinvent the wheel? More change please, I'm tired of what you offer!
    BMW hangs onto bike designs for years, decades in some instances.
    Rosta, I think that's the name, makes an electronic cruise control that is possible for a couple hundred dollars.
    Of course, with the Canbus control, the task may be more challenging.
    The thought that 100 more cc's is going to be the big game changer is pathetic.
    How about finding a way to make the bike 40-50 pounds LIGHTER?
    Make it more simple and durable. Put the rider in control of the throttle and the suspension and the traction.
    Have it your way and at some point you will get a self controlled platform and you can stay home and sit on your dead ass watching the live video feed.
    Now that's progress!

Real Name
    Frank
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    @David6801: I don not understand the disappointment either. The F series will get ride-by-wire, so different riding modes (mappings). Quite some change IMHO! More power? Why? Because Triumph has more? Not interesting for the target group which BMW has in mind for the F-GS(A). If you want more power, buy the Triumph or a KTM. Or go for the S1000XR. 1000 cc's, twice the power of the F series.....

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS ADV
    I'd call the fly by wire throttle a massive change. I just got a 2016 gas and I'm thinking crap if only I'd known!

10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800GS ADV
    Baffles me that they didnt add cruise control. Ball dropped.

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It's a competitive market. Adding cruise on a bike more oriented to riding on dirt than on pavement doesn't make sense. Besides, if you want it bad enough, you can add it for only a few hundred.

What I don't understand, is why they didn't offer air-conditioning.

Chris

13. Likesnotacop liked this post

Real Name
    NJCostello
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    The 1200GS has cruise and it's as dirt oriented as the 800gs. I'd venture to say most people that buy the GS don't go off road and when they do they ride the road to get to the dirt, so CC makes perfect sense.

15. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Lyes
    12-08-16
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '03 KLR650
    Motorcycle
    '08 KLR650
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800GS
    here is my cruise control
    it works on all type of riding style and configuration... canbus, ride by wire, ride by by cable, wireless ride, hands free ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	204281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	204289  

17. LikesRichard230, notacop liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Octupi View Post
    The 1200GS has cruise and it's as dirt oriented as the 800gs. I'd venture to say most people that buy the GS don't go off road and when they do they ride the road to get to the dirt, so CC makes perfect sense.
    I don't see myself ever buying a R1200GS. I recently read an article on a trip some riders made, and the reference was made to how lucky they were to have a BMW mechanic with them to fix things when their R1200GS bikes fell over.

Interesting article to read. This is Not the Bike You Are Looking For: A Case Against Big ADV

Lyes, that's exactly what I have. Works well for the one time every 3-6 months I want to use a "cruise control". Easy to activate, easy to disable. And since I'm riding a motorcycle, riding with one hand just doesn't seem safe.

Chris

Real Name
    stephen french
    01-02-17
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Whilst it may seem disappointing to many,i like the idea that a company doesnt just change a bike for changes sake. The suspension on the F800 gs is budget and the forks definately needed looking at as did the rear shock upper mounting bolt if they are so focused on this being a capable off roader. The F800gs is now a bike that the average home mechanic will be hard pushed to maintain and repair and i think fly by wire technology is just another step too far. Whilst being great whilst it works you have added software,throttle motors and sensors etc to go wrong. I can only assume fly by wire lets the computer decide on the best fuelling for the engine rather than the riders right hand. I may be a luddite but what is wrong with a cable!
    2009 BMW F800GS 

Real Name
    NJCostello
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchy3 View Post
    Whilst it may seem disappointing to many,i like the idea that a company doesnt just change a bike for changes sake. The suspension on the F800 gs is budget and the forks definately needed looking at as did the rear shock upper mounting bolt if they are so focused on this being a capable off roader. The F800gs is now a bike that the average home mechanic will be hard pushed to maintain and repair and i think fly by wire technology is just another step too far. Whilst being great whilst it works you have added software,throttle motors and sensors etc to go wrong. I can only assume fly by wire lets the computer decide on the best fuelling for the engine rather than the riders right hand. I may be a luddite but what is wrong with a cable!
    While you're correct, the computer controls the fueling, the same is on throttle by wire. I bypassed that on my FZ1 and put a power commander on it and I used known maps. It had two maps allowed, I had one for power and one for fuel efficiency. Throttle by wire isn't new and every plane flies by it...so it's a known commodity. I agree the suspension needs work, I've added the stiffener to my rear mount and will put new cartridges in next year but it's pretty capable as it is if you don't go to fast in the rough stuff.

I ride all the time w/ one hand, it's not unsafe, at least not in my 100+K miles so far...many one handed on all types of bikes. Much unsafer things to do. I have a go cruise on my bike as well and use it every time on the highway, I'd prefer a CC to be able to set the speed w/ a button and have it maintain it. Creature comforts.

21. Likesjosgs liked this post
    Dislikesjosgs disliked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    You should buy a R1200GSA. You'd be much happier.

Chris

23. Likesjosgs liked this post
    DislikesOctupi disliked this post

Real Name
    NJCostello
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    Nope...I coulda bought either. I wanted the smaller bike for offroad.

25. Dislikesjosgs disliked this post

Real Name
    NJCostello
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    Daboo, you seem to have a lot of opinions for someone that doesn't ride a GS.

27. Dislikesjosgs disliked this post

Real Name
    Tony
    05-16-17
    I just purchased a similar type cruise control and am happy with it. As long as I can take my right hand off the throttle and give it a break from that position, I am fine.

Real Name
    Pangaja Rao
    1 Week Ago
    I read in a am magazine that the F800 GS year 2017 comes with 4 electronics options. Sports, cruise, offroad ect.... They are available in Australia but not in my country, Malaysia

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Lyes, 1+ on the go cruise. I put the cramp buster on the grip as well.
    Poor mans' controls.
    Being a pensioner, even if BMW brought the most bestest, wunnferful thing ever designed, I wouldn't be paying the price anymore.
    So I'll stick to what I have until the wheels fall off. And bitch about it all the time!

31. LikesTelemarkTumalo liked this post