BMW F800 Forum banner

800GS wind screen opinions

13K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  fordfiesta 
#1 ·
What have[SUB][/SUB] you found that WORKS? (800GS)

I would really like to keep the stock windscreen but need better frontal wind management at higher speeds.

I have seen a few flip-down deflectors that mount on top of the stock screen that also sit an inch or so in front of the main wind screen to give a sort of laminar effect. Anybody have or use something that actually works?

#2 ·
What's your issue-- head buffeting, side, etc? The stock GSA screen worked for me once I added a clip-on spoiler to the top. Not bad for $100 and I haven't seen a complete screen yet that I'd jump on like a Cee Baileys for my year/model. In fact I should probably check, maybe Cee Baileys has caught up now...

EDIT: "(Will NOT fit GSA Models)"

Nope...

#5 ·
What's your issue-- head buffeting, side, etc? The stock GSA screen worked for me once I added a clip-on spoiler to the top. Not bad for $100 and I haven't seen a complete screen yet that I'd jump on like a Cee Baileys for my year/model. In fact I should probably check, maybe Cee Baileys has caught up now...
Morning Chaos Theory

Main complaint is turbulent air in my helmet area, lots of helmet buffeting as well as excessive wind rush noise.

#4 ·
I have tried a few. Stock, Cee baileys of 2 different sizes, Laminar Lip on stock. The one I have settled on is the Madstadt. Entirely quiet behind it and adjustable. Can ride with the visor up at highway speeds and still hear music. With the removable "wings" you are pretty protected from weather too. Downside is poor circulation air at low speeds in the heat.

Well worth the cost.

#7 ·
The windscreen story comes now and then, please search the forum, there are many threads about i t

i ended with a Secdem, 43 cm long if i am not wrong.... the funny story is that i was so desperate to have a taller windscreen before a 3500 km trip that i ordered it 2 weeks before it came one week before and had only 20 to 30 km trial on the highway.
it gives a lot of protection that the stock one, obviously it is 20 CM higher, but it did direct the wind to the my eye level, so i ended adding a small adjustable spoiler... after few adjustment, i ended finding the sweet spot....
but you might face some times the need to have wind into your face, where you are riding in very hit days (35 / 40) degrees in south Europe heat...
best advise, if you see a windscreen that you like or think will do the job, try to bowwow the bike for a quick ride, its the best way to find out...i have done that myself if both direction, trying a dieserto and letting someone trying the Secdem
by the way, i am 1.75 and had the secdem while i still had the standard bmw seat and standard bike height

cheers

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle
Tire Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Vehicle
Hood Fender Machine Motor vehicle Event
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

#8 ·
Have been playing around with this myself and echo Lyes' comment about warm weather. I'm now running the low BMW screen in these summer months and picked up a Moose +4 windscreen to go with my clip-on Vario deflector for colder weather. Now I have two windscreens for sale on eBay :rolleyes:

#9 ·
OK, a little follow-up to my original post here.

After much research & also riding a few friends 800GS bikes I ended up getting a Madstad Engineering adjustable 20" windscreen (I'm 6' tall normal proportions).

So far it has worked pretty good for me, W-A-Y/ W-A-Y better than the OEM BMW windscreen. It's not perfect but is better than any of my friends 800GS bikes with aftermarket windscreens.

Due to having BarkBuster hand guards I got the narrower Madstad Engineering windscreen & it does clear my BarkBusters with room to spare.

The narrower Madstad does allow some wind around the sides but in holding my hand at helmet level while riding at speed there is a pocket of dead calm air between my chin & the top of my helmet.

I will post more follow up in another thousand miles or so.

#11 ·
Hello gang, new to the forum. I just bought my first Street bike a couple of weeks ago, a 2016 f800gs. I've ridden dirt bikes my whole life, I'm 48 now. I have no real idea of what buffering feels like. I rode my bike on the freeway a few miles the other day and felt a good deal of wind around my helmet but I am still using a adventure/enduro helmet with a full size visor. I'm fairly tall at 6'2". How do I know what's normal wind noise/turbulence verse buffering? And at my size should I look for added wind protection.
Thanks.

#13 ·
How do I know what's normal wind noise/turbulence verse buffering? And at my size should I look for added wind protection.
Thanks.
I guess it doesn't matter what you call it-- are you comfortable riding with it, or after a long ride, do you have random nosebleeds and hearing loss? ;) Naw, if it's too much, you'll know... If you're riding into work and back, it won't matter. It's the longer rides where you'll want better wind protection as the pounding and/or wind stress adds up.

#18 ·
I went out on a limb took a shot on the Britannia Composites adjustable fairing for my '13' 800GS. In my opinion, There's no comparison between it and the OEM BMW unit. No buffeting at all! Came with a satin black finish. I painted the patches of blue on the fairing to match. It has been worth every penny.

Rick

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Sky

#21 · (Edited)
I went out on a limb took a shot on the Britannia Composites adjustable fairing for my '13' 800GS. In my opinion, There's no comparison between it and the OEM BMW unit. No buffeting at all! Came with a satin black finish. I painted the patches of blue on the fairing to match. It has been worth every penny.

Rick

View attachment 244537
I looked on their website but didn't see anything listed for the GS. Where did you get yours?

Thanks,
Chad

#22 ·
I also recently looked on their web site and to my dismay, didn't see it either. I asked the owner in an email and his response was that they had stopped making the model for the GS to concentrate on the current model for KTMs. I guess you have to go where the $$$ is at. He did tell me that they do have a bunch of replacement parts for the GS model farings. Maybe you could piece one together? I may go ahead and pick up a spare clear wind-screen just to have one.

Rick

#24 ·
I have one on my F650GS and don't like it. Too small and too narrow for my tastes. Let us know if you ever find a windshield that everyone likes. :rolleyes: Windshields are worse than seats when it comes to finding one that everyone can agree on. [;)]

#32 ·
I'm moto-touring in Mexico now and saw a Kappa brand screen yesterday ....
Up until then I was not familiar with the brand, but it is adjustable and looks very nice.
I talked to the owner and he was quite pleased with it.
The top section can be very easily removed for off-roading.

I didn't get the model number of his unit, but I'm pretty sure this is it:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/kappa-kaf5107-airstream-windscreen-for-bmw-f700gs-13-17

#36 ·
Have you tried adding an MRA X-CREEN, not removing the wind but getting laminar flow that's cleaner than before?
I'm 6'2 and decided I don't want to get rid of the air, because I'd have a barn door to look through for that to happen.
Aside I'm in Texas, no air on you is not desirable still.
What I felt was buffeting are the open vents on my jacket, with temps dropping I have smoother riding ahead.
The X-CREEN makes enough of a difference that I can sweat with it angled up too much, sending air too high.
For noise I have another helmet coming, my visor seal is pretty meh.
Again, ok during hot summer temps.

In short: check what shakes you (it was my clothing adjustment), check if noise can be controlled with helmet and/or ear plugs. Compare noise standing up and sitting behind windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 ·
i had an x-creen on the stock windscreen, i'm short and it didn't buffet me, but it was really noisy with all that air hitting the helmet. i tried a lot of configurations and none of them really made the air around my helmet still. what configuration did you find was the most effective for you with the xcreen in quieting down the ride?

that being said, when i stood up on the pegs, the helmet was actually pretty quiet, once it got into "clean" air.

#38 ·
Parallel to the screen, about and inch in between and top edge of X-CREEN about an inch over top of main screen.
So the black sides are likely at 7:30 if viewed from left side of bike.
Used to put it much higher and air was just wild.
Air still around helmet? No that's not what I'm looking for. Directed and non turbulent it is.

#41 ·
Parallel to the screen, about and inch in between and top edge of X-CREEN about an inch over top of main screen.
So the black sides are likely at 7:30 if viewed from left side of bike.
Used to put it much higher and air was just wild.
Air still around helmet? No that's not what I'm looking for. Directed and non turbulent it is.

interesting, maybe i'll give it another try next spring. right now in the cooler weather, i prefer more coverage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.