BMW F800 Forum banner

F800GS - Replacing the grips

15K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  jrwooden 
#1 ·
The rubber part of my F800GS grips is very worn out, and I would like to replace them.
I've never done this before on any of my bikes and I don't know if its even possible to only replace the rubber part, or if I have to replace the whole grip (including whatever's under the rubber)
So I'm looking for advise here. You guys got any instructions, or video on how to do this? Also, do you have any suggestions on what grips to buy?

Thanks

#2 ·
Morning aristosv;

Does your bike have heated grips?

If no heated grips then a very easy replacement, if the bike has heated grips then it can still be done but is a delicate operation as the rubber grips are glued tight to the grip heating grid.

So start by telling us if the bike has heated grips.

#4 ·
I did it by using a very sharp knife and cutting through the rubber flange and then slicing the grip itself without going through it. Once done I could tear the rest of the grip with my hands. One of my grips would not heat. It turned out to be the wire lost connection with elements in heater. I just soldered back together.

#7 ·
My 2009 bike was the same with the flat foil heated grips,they must have been made out of a really soft rubber as mine were trashed and the bike was quite low mileage. I cut through the flange and carfully peeled back the grips holding tension as i cut with a stanley knife blade. There was not much glue as the grips were held mostly by the plastic moulded ridges. I put Arriette grips with the larger internal diameter for heated elements back on and only used cheap hairspray to put them on. They have set rock solid and would not cause a problem if i have to do the job again. Having said that the replacement grips seem a lot more durable.

#10 ·
#13 ·
I would say so. Be sure to clean off the old glue and to use a glue to attach the new grips that will be easy to remove when needed. I think I would give rubber cement a try of the type used to attach photos to a photo album. If the grips slip after using that glue you can always try something stronger.

#14 ·
I replaced the OEM heated grips on my '14 F800GSA today. Apparently, BMW intends you to replace the entire unit - heating element and all - so the rubber grips are extremely difficult to remove without damaging the very fine, heating element wires. It can be done and the grips will (barely) accommodate a standard grip, available at any motorcycle parts supplier. I started on the clutch side, figuring that if I butchered the heating elements, I would be no worse off than with the worn-out grips I had already and if the grips proved impossible to remove, I would either just bite the bullet and buy a whole new BMW unit or just live without heated grips. Heated grips are pretty great in cold weather, so while I was eager to have fresh grips, I was very reluctant to trash the heating elements.

When I've changed grips in the past, I usually just cut a slit in the grip from the inside flange to the outer edge, pry the slit open and then peel the old grip off (assuming that it is glued on). I started by cutting through the flange on the inside with a utility knife and then trying to pry the edges apart, while extending the slit toward the outer edge without cutting all the way through the rubber and possibly into the heating wires. This proved difficult, because the inner end was really well glued to the plastic sleeve for the heating element (a good idea, because it insulates the heating element from being in direct contact with the handlebars and prevents it from wasting heat by heating the metal, but it makes fitting a standard 'clutch side' grip - which has only a 7/8" inside diameter, kind of challenging - more on that later). Eventually, I was able to start prying the inner end of the grip off the plastic tube while I very carefully cut the rubber toward the outside, trying not to go all the way through. At the same time, you have to get that slit open a little and try to peel the rubber away around the circumference of the inner plastic tube. Try to peel straight out, perpendicular to the circumference of the handlebars - if you peel at an angle, it tends to displace the heating element wires out of the little grooves they sit in. Eventually, I was able to get the rubber started peeling away from the plastic insulating tube and to extend the cut in the rubber all the way to the end of the grip.

From there, it's just a matter of patiently peeling the rubber off the plastic tube and then, once the grip is off, picking away at any remaining chunks of rubber or glue. Once the grip was all the way off, I checked the continuity of the heating element at the exposed connections to the wiring and it was fine. To protect the heating element (which is hair-thin nichrome wire), I put a thin wrap of electrical tape around the plastic insulating tube over the heating wires from end to end. Over time, it may break down due to the heat, but think of it like a layer of glue holding the grip in place. At the outer end of the plastic tube, there is a raised ridge that engages a recess in the rubber grip, but it makes the OD of the plastic tube much too large to accept a standard, clutch-side grip, so I ground it flat using a Dremel tool and a little sanding drum, then buffed it smooth with a Scotchbrite pad. I squirted a little rubbing alcohol inside the grip and then applied it liberally on the electrical tape wrapping the plastic tube and the heating element. The grip was a tight fit over the plastic tube, but with a little persuasion it went on and I was able to slide it into place with no problem.

When I did the throttle side, I started the cutting and peeling process from the outside of the handlebars at the end of the grip, rather than from the inside. This worked a lot better and I also used a little nylon panel removal tool to help peel the rubber grip away from the throttle tube. Once again, I was able to remove the grip without damaging the heating element, wrapped some electrical tape over the wires and ground off the ridge at the outside end. The new grip slid on nicely. It's great have new grips with a slightly larger diameter and a much grippier feel than the worn-out old grips. There may be some reduction in the heat through the thicker grip, but it will be worth it.

Pete Bansen
Reno, Nevada

#15 ·
I cheated .... [:I]

For my hand-size the OEM grip diameter is a bit too small anyway so I bought a pair of these:

https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

They come in two different thicknesses.

I've had mine on the bike for several years and lots of miles with zero issues.
I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, but the owner Dave Reppert is a stand-up guy,
and I appreciate him!

#16 ·
I cheated .... [:I]

For my hand-size the OEM grip diameter is a bit too small anyway so I bought a pair of these:

https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

They come in two different thicknesses.

I've had mine on the bike for several years and lots of miles with zero issues.
I have had those grips installed on my F650GS and also like them. While they are twice as expensive as your generic slide-on foam grip covers, they offer the advantage of easy installation over grips that have a brush guard fastened to the end of the bars.

Reactions: jrwooden
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.