BMW F800 Forum banner

Low tire pressure troubles

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  TelemarkTumalo 
#1 ·
My son-in-law doesn't believe in maintaining his motorcycles. He prefers to ride them until they break and then fix the damage. (I know, I don't get it either, but for him that is the fun in riding a motorcycle.) Yesterday, as he was heading to work on his Suzuki SV650, he noticed that it was a kind of bumpy ride. Upon returning to his garage and checking the bike over, he noticed that the front tire was a little deformed. [uhoh] He then checked the tire pressure (for the first time in months) and found it to be at 15 psi. Now he needs a new front tire and is back to riding his 100K+ mile 1986 VFR. (Hopefully, he checked the air pressure on that bike before riding off.) Attached is a photo showing what can happen when you allow the air pressure in your tire to drop too far and then run into a pothole. [:0] Don't let this happen to you. [;)]

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, he has managed to survive for over 46 years, most of that time riding nothing but motorcycles. So he seems to have a knack for survival. [:)] My daughter has learned to live with him, but with constant nagging about his riding and maintenance habits. At least he isn't crashing any more. 10 years ago he was in at least a single-vehicle crash once a year due to stomping on just the rear brake when he needed to stop quickly. It took a long time, but he finally got rid of that habit. Maybe this tire issue will result in checking his tire pressures more often. Hope springs eternal. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Well, he came within a few months of getting a doctorate in physics (where he worked on a NASA space probe), before he quit the doctorate program to get a job in the virtual reality business designing hardware and later designing computer codes. He is very smart, just likes to do things the hard way. :rolleyes:

#13 ·
Yeah, but Richard's son-in-law can toss that carcass, but you have to live with yours. Tires are one thing I don't take chances with. I might get away with a patch job today to get me home, but I'm replacing a bad tire ASAP and everytime. I like to ride my bike fast sometimes. I hope Progressive isn't snooping here. Even laying it over in corners,... while loaded with camping gear, in 90°+ heat sometimes and others in icy conditions. Have you ever seen those Moto GP, F1 or NASCAR mechanics put a patched/plugged tire on to a race bike or car? Hmmm.... As much as I like the idea of a tire performing on a smooth road with great light and the perfect sweeping curve, I will plan for the worst. A rainy night, dense fog and poor light, entering a curve and an oncoming car suddenly in my lane, driving me into a 4" deep pothole. In those circumstances, I'd rather take my chances on a better tire.

#15 ·
Just to complete my story, I just found out that my son-in-law ordered two new front tires. One for the Suzuki and another one for his VFR that he just realized was down to the wear bars. So I guess that failed tire did get his attention and he didn't even have to crash to learn that lesson. [;)]

Reactions: Number8
#16 ·
Have to agree Telemark. Having survived two rear tyre blowouts (not slow leaks....instant deflation) more due to luck than my riding skills, anytime I view something about my tyres that could possibly mean trouble...I change them. I guess I'm no longer a risk taker. Dave

#17 ·
It is all part of getting older. After many years of living you appreciate it more than you used to. [;)]

#18 ·
Owning and riding motorbikes really shows some personality differences in all of us. I love talking bikes with other riders and owners. Tire talk is one of those topics that never seems to leave someone without an opinion. I've known riders who love idea of squeezing out every last mile from a tire, let the threads show through, or not replace until the tire has been patched. Count me in the camp of riders who err on the side of early replacement. I've not found a tire that performs equally across its lifespan, as there always seems deterioration in performance. And, I don't want to have a flat, and lord help me if I have a blowout. I hate that tires are so expensive, but so are my bikes. And, although my insurance company has some actuarial table telling me what my life is worth, I'll keep my bikes well shod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.