Thiniking of buying a used 2007 F800ST. What do I look for? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry



Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Hi,

    I'm looking at buying a 2007 F800ST. It has 39k miles on it and listed for USD $3300
    Is it a good idea to buy this bike with almost 40k miles on it. And is the listed price fair?

    I'll look for service history (valve check, belt replacement, brake etc) , is there anything else I need to check for?
    I'll also ask the owner about the bearing recall, anything else?

    It doesn't come with top or side cases, how much would those cost me?

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Points: 3,079, Level: 36

    Real Name
    Ian
    Location
    San Francisco
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Online
    9 Hours Ago
    Posts
    135 / 0 / 2 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Less concerned about miles then a full maintenance history. Fair price is whatever you two can agree on, here is an example near me with bags same miles for $3400. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/6015534439.html Happen to know this individual flips bikes from auctions that he buys, however he states one owner and full service. I own a 07 which I bought used several years ago with 28k miles. While some folks will mention piston slap issues with the 07, many folks have ridden these bikes 80-100k. With that said, I would look for a newer year, or one with miles in the 20k-25k range, and get the bags. You don't want to start ownership by searching CL and fleaBay for parts. They are costly to ship. You might want to consider other things. A bike this old usually has been farkled by the owner, so get one with the saddle, screen, adds on you want. It's Feb in Minnesota, I know you've had a bit of a mild winter, but if you can't get a screaming deal on a 10 year old bike now, and there when can you. Hope this helps.

  4. #3
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...015089868.html
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...005391596.html

    These are the two I'm looking at, there's quite a price difference and the second one is too expensive for my liking.

    Is there any way to check the piston slap issue or can it happen any time?
    Unfortunately , I'm not seeing many deals even in this winter, I guess it's too close to summer.

    Thanks for the info, that was helpful.

    Edit; Wouldn't checking the VIN inform me of any crash or auction history?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    jaxon's Avatar
    Points: 6,738, Level: 56

    Real Name
    Ian
    Location
    Indiana
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Online
    9 Hours Ago
    Posts
    73 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Maintenance history and recalls work is important. Everyone has been in a budget situation for a bike. If you can take it to a dealer to check it do it. It's worth 80-120 to test it and find out what needs to be done or has been done. If you can afford a later model get it. If you have to buy things to fix it you may have been able to afford a later model. If you have enough mechanical skills to do oil changes, spark plug changes etc it would be a good buy if nothing else is a problem. Figure on spending up to $500 after buying it for plates, insurance and maintenance.

    There is a piston slap video on youtube. Can you place your hands on each side of the rear wheel and rock it? Bearings are shot, part of recall. Also a kickstand sensor is a recall item. Doesn't work and the bike may not start or stall when riding.

    Whatever you do don't rush to buy one or overlook issues. I bought a K75 and didn't notice the hairline cracks in the tires, got new ones. If the tires are original replace them if over 10 years old even if they have a good tread. Check the serial number and find out how to tell the date of manufacture. Tires get old. Does it have a riders manual? Check it for service. It might be logged in there. Factor in the cost of general maintenance items like tires, oil, filters for the first year of ownership. Check the brake lines, levers, throttle, tires for wear. Check welds for cracks. Ride it. Don't fall in love with it until after you own it.

    New side cases can cost up to a grand. Used ones maybe $300 per side. Better to get a bike with them.

  7. #5
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 10,747, Level: 71

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,394 / 2 / 6 / 59
    $3300 sounds about right to me. The bike doesn't have the factory saddlebag mounts, so if you plan to buy the BMW bags, you'll need to buy the mounts. The very early '07 ST's were shipped without the bag mounts (my first '07 ST was identical to this one) but the later '07's came with them from the factory, regardless if the bike had bags or not.

    These are great bikes. Any dealer can lookup the maintenance history (assuming it was maintained at a dealer) and give you an evaluation of the bike's condition. Probably money well spent. The mileage isn't very high for a ten-year old bike, or for any bike for that matter.


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

     

  8. #6
    Points: 3,079, Level: 36

    Real Name
    Ian
    Location
    San Francisco
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Online
    9 Hours Ago
    Posts
    135 / 0 / 2 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    If you ask nicely at the dealer service department, and you have the VIN they can tell you what recalls have been done, and what service has been performed at any BMW dealer. There are some great Apps that I use for the iPad sure Android devices as well that allows you to search CL on a nationwide basis. I flew out to Colorado in 2014 and bought mine sight unscene once I developed a good dialouge with the owner.

  9. #7
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by emlevy View Post
    $3300 sounds about right to me. The bike doesn't have the factory saddlebag mounts, so if you plan to buy the BMW bags, you'll need to buy the mounts. The very early '07 ST's were shipped without the bag mounts (my first '07 ST was identical to this one) but the later '07's came with them from the factory, regardless if the bike had bags or not.

    These are great bikes. Any dealer can lookup the maintenance history (assuming it was maintained at a dealer) and give you an evaluation of the bike's condition. Probably money well spent. The mileage isn't very high for a ten-year old bike, or for any bike for that matter.


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    On average, how much would the mounts and the side cases cost ? ~1k ?

  10. #8
    Points: 3,079, Level: 36

    Real Name
    Ian
    Location
    San Francisco
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Online
    9 Hours Ago
    Posts
    135 / 0 / 2 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    I think the bike could be had for 3k, another member on our board has a full kit of racks and bags for $600 plus shipping on our classified section. I would be patient and keep looking for exactly what you want.

  11. #9
    danomar's Avatar
    Points: 3,569, Level: 39

    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Joined
    Mar 2014
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    119 / 0 / 1 / 13
    Motorcycle
    '11 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '86 750 F1
    Motorcycle
    '78 3 1/2
    Both STs look nice, but it is relatively easy to make something look good for a sale.

    Things to look for are the aforementioned rear wheel bearing looseness and piston slap. I would also look at the valve cover and oil pan gasket for leaks, and the muffler clamp (where it goes into the end of the headpipe under the center stand) and exhaust gasket for exhaust leaks. These three items tend to harden with age. Look around the heat exchanger (at the front of the engine next to the oil filter) for leaks; also look for dripping coolant. It would be prudent to test the front end for smooth fork action and seal leaks.

    There is a known issue on older F800s with the alternator getting hot and possibly crapping out, but that is very difficult to spot. Removing the cover is not exactly a simple thing.

    Generally speaking, the F800 has few significant flaws. It has several quirks as any bike, but few are serious. If the current owner can provide complete records and knows the bike's history, that speaks louder than mileage in my estimation. Bikes with many modifications turn me off: Well-considered farkles are nice, but the more that is modified, the less one can be certain of what it truly there. Just my opinion.

    The gray one is nice, and I like that seller has a photo of the mileage. It appears to have been well cared-for and used extensively, but the price is an easy $1500 too much, methinks.
    My spoon is too big. 

  12. #10
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Ok, so I spoke to the guy selling the blue F800ST.
    He said that engine was replaced with a 2012 once since the original one got destroyed after some clutch particles jammed up the oil circulation system.
    The engine swap wasn't done by a dealer, they did it themselves.
    There were some other problems with the heated grip, rear tire sensor not working and the rear bearing dampener was replaced as well.

    I think I'll pass on this one.
    What do you guys think about the other one? 5300 seems high for a 2007 with 7100 miles, assuming everything else is good
    What would be a good price for it? 4k?

  13. #11
    TelemarkTumalo's Avatar
    Points: 23,074, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Mark
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Online
    5 Hours Ago
    Posts
    4,177 / 21 / 167 / 1251
    Motorcycle
    '13 CRF250L
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 R1200GS
    $3500 seems fair for a 10 year old bike

  14. #12
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 10,747, Level: 71

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,394 / 2 / 6 / 59
    I agree with Mark. And I agree with passing on the blue one.


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

     

  15. #13
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Thanks Mark, emlevy.
    Surprisingly though , Nada guides shows a price of ~5.2k for a 2007 F800ST

    And the listing says fork seals were replaced. Is that part of routine maintenance or could it be due to a defect ?

    When does the belt need to be replaced and can I do the oil changes myself or would I need to go to a BMW dealer?

  16. #14
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 10,747, Level: 71

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,394 / 2 / 6 / 59
    Fork seals are normal wear items and can fail if the fork tubes aren't kept free of dirt, dried up bugs, etc., or if the fork tubes get nicked or damaged. Some folks install rubber gaiters to protect their fork tubes and reduce the likelihood of failed seals.

    The recommended belt replacement interval is every 24,000 miles, though some forum members ride farther than that without issues. It's a dealer service item that you can perform yourself if you want to save on labor. You'll find lots of guidance on this forum.

    Oil and filter changes are exceedingly simple on this bike. Again, look to the forum for guidance if the procedure is not intuitive.

    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

     

  17. Likesjock1958 liked this post
  18. #15
    TelemarkTumalo's Avatar
    Points: 23,074, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Mark
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Online
    5 Hours Ago
    Posts
    4,177 / 21 / 167 / 1251
    Motorcycle
    '13 CRF250L
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 R1200GS
    Regardless of what the NADA books says, the ST does not hold very good resale value. The demand just is not there. This means that lots of good used examples can be found at a good price. By comparison, several members here have found holdover '15 model f800 GT's with only 300 miles or so, and being sold as dealer demos. It seems that were $9500 or so. And, that is for an essentially new bike. I found my '09 ST and paid $4500, and that was two years ago. In addition, you are shopping in winter, which is a great time to buy and a horrible time to sell.

    So, I think that you are in the driver's seat on this. If your seller is motivated, I'm certain that you can negotiate a price that makes you and the seller feel good about it. Just know that there will be other ST's out there for sale. Many come up on this forum. Keep us posted and happy buying.

  19. #16
    Points: 1,881, Level: 26

    Real Name
    Arthur Knowles
    Location
    Indio, CA
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    136 / 0 / 0 / 0
    FWIW, I bought my F800ST - 2008- lowered with less than 10K on the clock for 6K. It had good service and the low miles convinced me to buy it over other models. Any motorcycle or anything else out there is only worth what you - no one else - is willing to pay for it. If you like it, buy it. If not, or it's out of your budget, then keep looking for a bargain. You might find it.

    I can tell you this though, it won't be mine. If I sell it, it'll go for blue book or above or not at all. And just as an FYI I did look at GTs but didn't want one. I wanted the ST. Period.

  20. Thanksjock1958 thanked for this post
  21. #17
    Points: 1,162, Level: 19

    Real Name
    Vasu C
    Location
    NJ
    Joined
    Apr 2016
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    75 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Develop a good dialog with the owner and get a feel for whether he is truthful. A few years ago I flew from NJ to Madison, WI to buy a 91 K75S which was 15 years old at that time but with 11K miles. I trusted the owner, flew out, test rode the bike, and then rode the 1000 miles back home the same day.

    I feel that unlike cars, motorcycle owners tend to be far more honest when selling bikes. Always test ride used bikes once you get a feel for whether it is roadworthy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irn View Post
    I flew out to Colorado in 2014 and bought mine sight unscene once I developed a good dialouge with the owner.
    ----
    Current: 2013 F700GS
    GONE: 2007 G650 X-Cntry, 1991 K75S, 1997 R850R, 1979 R65 

  22. LikesTelemarkTumalo liked this post
  23. #18
    Snowdog's Avatar
    Points: 327, Level: 6

    Real Name
    Alan
    Location
    Florida
    Joined
    Jan 2017
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    20 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Just as a reference, in January I picked up my '07 with 3606 miles on it for $4300. Fully serviced and ready to ride. Used Givi bags with mounts set me back another $400. I see others advertised for more money with substantially more mileage - it helps to shop around, but they are not uncommon, at least here in FL.

  24. Likesvortexmak liked this post
  25. #19
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
    Just as a reference, in January I picked up my '07 with 3606 miles on it for $4300. Fully serviced and ready to ride. Used Givi bags with mounts set me back another $400. I see others advertised for more money with substantially more mileage - it helps to shop around, but they are not uncommon, at least here in FL.
    So he finally agreed for 4.5k and is not willing to go lower. It's an 07 with 7100 miles with included GIVI side bags. Is 4.5k an okay price for it ?
    I'm also getting an 09 FZ1 for 4.6k which has 15k miles with a Corbin seat and extra windshield.

    I'm kinda inclined towards the BMW since it has heated grips, side bags, ABS, traction control, a single sided swingarm and belt drive while the FZ1 though newer and more powerful doesn't have any of those.
    How is the ST on long rides ? since it's more leaned over than the FZ1 . Anything I can do to offset that?

    What do you guys think? the FZ or the ST?

  26. #20
    Points: 3,606, Level: 39

    Real Name
    Cramer
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    85 / 0 / 0 / 6
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    The ST is great on long rides. Last summer I did an iron butt (1000 miles in one day) on mine. To make it more comfortable I added handlebar risers, throttle lock, and a custom seat. My only complaint on long rides is the vibration in the handlebars. As for price, it's worth what someone's willing to pay. I overpaid according to KBB, but I wanted it and was willing to pay. They're pretty rare in the US. I was happy with what I paid. I'm not happy that I've had most of the problems mentioned in the earlier posts on my 08'.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers and Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs, mirror extenders 

  27. #21
    jaxon's Avatar
    Points: 6,738, Level: 56

    Real Name
    Ian
    Location
    Indiana
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Online
    9 Hours Ago
    Posts
    73 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by vortexmak View Post
    So he finally agreed for 4.5k and is not willing to go lower. It's an 07 with 7100 miles with included GIVI side bags. Is 4.5k an okay price for it ?
    I'm also getting an 09 FZ1 for 4.6k which has 15k miles with a Corbin seat and extra windshield.

    I'm kinda inclined towards the BMW since it has heated grips, side bags, ABS, traction control, a single sided swingarm and belt drive while the FZ1 though newer and more powerful doesn't have any of those.
    How is the ST on long rides ? since it's more leaned over than the FZ1 . Anything I can do to offset that?

    What do you guys think? the FZ or the ST?
    Bah! I'd prefer the bells and whistles of the ST. It's not like it's pokey by any means. You'll appreciate all those ST features in the long run. Why have power you'll likely never use or rarely on the FZ? Get the sum of all the parts, not a part of a sum.

  28. #22
    Snowdog's Avatar
    Points: 327, Level: 6

    Real Name
    Alan
    Location
    Florida
    Joined
    Jan 2017
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    20 / 0 / 0 / 0
    That seems like a fair price if it is the bike you want. The FZ would just get me into trouble.

  29. #23
    danomar's Avatar
    Points: 3,569, Level: 39

    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Joined
    Mar 2014
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    119 / 0 / 1 / 13
    Motorcycle
    '11 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '86 750 F1
    Motorcycle
    '78 3 1/2
    Quote Originally Posted by vortexmak View Post
    So he finally agreed for 4.5k and is not willing to go lower. It's an 07 with 7100 miles with included GIVI side bags. Is 4.5k an okay price for it ? I'm also getting an 09 FZ1 for 4.6k which has 15k miles with a Corbin seat and extra windshield.
    The F800 and FZ1 are really different bikes with very different approaches to riding and will feel very different while riding. The F800 frankly feels a bit slow until it gets wound up past 5000rpm, and even then it is not really a quick accelerator of a bike. The handling is stable as compared to the FZ1 being quick. Where the F800 shines is long-term use. The best word I can think of is quality. Everything feels right and (usually) works well. The ergonomics are sensible and long-distance comfortable. On other bikes I have owned, I needed to add something here or there, but once you get used to the F800 it works surprisingly well. I rode from England to southern France in two days on my previous F800S and ended the ride truly impressed at how well the bike worked—even with the half fairing and short screen. There is no one particular aspect or feature of the F800 that shouts greatness, but the overall package is typical BMW. Quality.

    4.5k is a little pricey, but the mileage is very low and the GIVIs are a very nice addition. The seller probably thinks it is worth it, and given that these things are not selling like proverbial hotcakes, it might be worth it. Knowing it comes from someone who has taken care of the bike is sometimes worth the premium.
    My spoon is too big. 

  30. #24
    Points: 10,451, Level: 70

    Real Name
    Chris
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Online
    8 Hours Ago
    Posts
    965 / 0 / 9 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I didn't drink the Kool-aid, so I think BMW as a manufacturer is not better or worse than any other brand. That said, I'd take the BMW and skip the FZ1.

    I think the traction control on the BMW and ABS mellow out a bike that is faster than it seems. There's a YouTube video of a guy on an ST who reached about 143 mph...so this is a pretty fast bike if you want to use it as such. Sure, the FZ1 is faster...but I'm sure the previous owners beat it. Just like I'd never buy a used muscle car, I think I'd really hesitate to buy a used FZ1. You know they beat it. You don't buy an FZ1 to ride along at 35 mph.

    Like danomar said, the F800 shines in the long term. I have the GT version with a lot of mods done to it. I briefly thought about getting an R1200RS, but gave that up quickly. The F800 just does everything so well. You can live with it day in and day out.

    Chris

  31. #25
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I didn't drink the Kool-aid, so I think BMW as a manufacturer is not better or worse than any other brand. That said, I'd take the BMW and skip the FZ1.

    I think the traction control on the BMW and ABS mellow out a bike that is faster than it seems. There's a YouTube video of a guy on an ST who reached about 143 mph...so this is a pretty fast bike if you want to use it as such. Sure, the FZ1 is faster...but I'm sure the previous owners beat it. Just like I'd never buy a used muscle car, I think I'd really hesitate to buy a used FZ1. You know they beat it. You don't buy an FZ1 to ride along at 35 mph.

    Like danomar said, the F800 shines in the long term. I have the GT version with a lot of mods done to it. I briefly thought about getting an R1200RS, but gave that up quickly. The F800 just does everything so well. You can live with it day in and day out.

    Chris
    Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards the F800ST now, getting another 07 in blue for 3.9k but it has 27k miles and no side bags.
    I do like the blue color though, so if the owner can reduce the cost of the belt replacement which is already overdue, I think I'll go for that.

    Anything else I need to watch out for a bike that has gone 27k miles ?

    I wish I could get a GT as it has a more upright position

  32. #26
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 10,747, Level: 71

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,394 / 2 / 6 / 59
    If you would prefer a GT, then why bother with an ST? Pre-owned GT's aren't that much more expensive than used ST's. Having owned both, however, I can tell you the difference between the two is subtle at best. And I found both of my ST's to have smoother, freer-revving engines than my GT.


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

     

  33. #27
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by emlevy View Post
    If you would prefer a GT, then why bother with an ST? Pre-owned GT's aren't that much more expensive than used ST's. Having owned both, however, I can tell you the difference between the two is subtle at best. And I found both of my ST's to have smoother, freer-revving engines than my GT.


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    I can't find any within my budget of 6k for pre-owned vehicles. GTs are newer so probably more expensive.
    What about the riding position? motorcycle ergos website shows that the GT has a much more upright position

  34. #28
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 10,747, Level: 71

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,394 / 2 / 6 / 59
    I think you need to ride one to feel the difference. To me, the GT is a bit more upright but not dramatically so. The bars are a bit higher and the pegs are a bit lower, but the overall feel isn't too unlike an ST. That said, I find motorcycle ergos to be highly personal -- what works for one person may not work for another. Both bikes have the benefit of several seat height options (in fact the seats are interchangeable), and the bar height on both is easy to change if needed. Lots of folks here have resorted to installing bar-backs on their ST's (and GT's).


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    Last edited by emlevy; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:52 PM.
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

     

  35. #29
    Points: 10,451, Level: 70

    Real Name
    Chris
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Online
    8 Hours Ago
    Posts
    965 / 0 / 9 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    My GT has bar risers or bar backs. It also has lowered foot pegs. The motorcycle ergo page is great for comparing two bike's ergonomics...but if you go to the options, you'll find you can adjust things as if you had installed risers and lowered foot pegs. You may find the ergos are very similar on both when you've done that.

    Chris

  36. #30
    Points: 1,881, Level: 26

    Real Name
    Arthur Knowles
    Location
    Indio, CA
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    136 / 0 / 0 / 0
    FWIW I'm 5' 11" with a 31" inseam. I have Helibar risers in my ST and the ergonomics are just where I need them up be. Just slightly leaning forward which is awesome for longer rides as you are in just the right position to let the wind help hold your weight. Too far upright and you have to pull your body weight back to god bars. I also have an adjustable Mastad wind screen that adjust to my riding style of the time. If you have not tried them yet, go test drive a GT before you try an ST. Unless you have a really understanding seller that will let you test the ST more than once or go on a longer trip to try it out. That way you'll get a fair comparison.

  37. #31
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW_Art View Post
    FWIW I'm 5' 11" with a 31" inseam. I have Helibar risers in my ST and the ergonomics are just where I need them up be. Just slightly leaning forward which is awesome for longer rides as you are in just the right position to let the wind help hold your weight. Too far upright and you have to pull your body weight back to god bars. I also have an adjustable Mastad wind screen that adjust to my riding style of the time. If you have not tried them yet, go test drive a GT before you try an ST. Unless you have a really understanding seller that will let you test the ST more than once or go on a longer trip to try it out. That way you'll get a fair comparison.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any GT's nearby and the ST seller won't let me do a test ride long enough to matter

  38. #32
    KENDAL, Cumbria, UK Will is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    Will's Avatar
    Points: 22,806, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Bill
    Location
    KENDAL, Cumbria, UK
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Online
    3 Days Ago
    Posts
    890 / 13 / 125 / 168
    Motorcycle
    '81 R65LS
    Motorcycle
    '63 R27
    Motorcycle
    '55 R25/3
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by vortexmak View Post
    Hi,

    I'm looking at buying a 2007 F800ST. It has 39k miles on it and listed for USD $3300
    Is it a good idea to buy this bike with almost 40k miles on it. And is the listed price fair?

    I'll look for service history (valve check, belt replacement, brake etc) , is there anything else I need to check for?
    I'll also ask the owner about the bearing recall, anything else?

    It doesn't come with top or side cases, how much would those cost me?

    Thanks
    Hi,
    It's a great pity you don't live over here in the UK. I have my F800S/ST for sale with full Givi luggage fitted and a BMW tank bag. It's listed on here and I hope to get £1500 for the complete package including the transferable BMW warranty.
    Maps are OK but.
    They don't record just whereabouts you were lost! 

  39. #33
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 10,747, Level: 71

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,394 / 2 / 6 / 59
    I'm half considering putting my '13 F800GT up for sale and would be tickled to get $6500 for it. Original owner, all stock, never down, never abused, only 13k miles, due for a fresh set of PR4's. We'll see.


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

     

  40. #34
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Thank you guys for all your help
    I bought the 2007 F800ST with 7k miles that I looked at first.

  41. #35
    Points: 5,381, Level: 50

    Real Name
    Fox
    Location
    North London UK
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    96 / 0 / 0 / 24
    Congrats mate!
    Hope you're good with a spanner.
    I have an 07 (bought 3yrs ago with exact same mileage) in the really fast colour - Blue, of course!
    Now you can get on with the fun part. Ride, farkle, ride some more, farkle, rinse, repeat.

  42. #36
    Points: 187, Level: 3

    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    14 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbass View Post
    Congrats mate!
    Hope you're good with a spanner.
    I have an 07 (bought 3yrs ago with exact same mileage) in the really fast colour - Blue, of course!
    Now you can get on with the fun part. Ride, farkle, ride some more, farkle, rinse, repeat.
    I really wanted the blue one. Hopefully I can get blue fairings off of ebay

  43. #37
    Points: 6,127, Level: 53

    Real Name
    Simon Humphreys
    Location
    Horsham West Sussex
    Joined
    May 2011
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    335 / 0 / 10 / 61
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by vortexmak View Post
    Ok, so I spoke to the guy selling the blue F800ST.
    He said that engine was replaced with a 2012 once since the original one got destroyed after some clutch particles jammed up the oil circulation system.
    The engine swap wasn't done by a dealer, they did it themselves.
    There were some other problems with the heated grip, rear tire sensor not working and the rear bearing dampener was replaced as well.

    I think I'll pass on this one.
    What do you guys think about the other one? 5300 seems high for a 2007 with 7100 miles, assuming everything else is good
    What would be a good price for it? 4k?
    2007 models do potentially have issues: predominantly piston slap, swing arm bearings.

    Piston slap can develop late (10,000 miles plus). Its easy to detect - a load clacking at idle, worse at 3-4000rpm. Its not fatal but very irritating and a hard fix. If the high mileage bike has a quiet motor and has been well maintained, it could be a sound buy. Apart from the dreaded slap, most issues are an easy fix given the parts. Do check the drive belt for cracks - service interval 24,000. Simple fix but pricey.

    My 09 model has 40k miles on the clock, its like new still so do not be scared of miles. But do check for maintenance - though really these things need little more than regular oil and filter changes. Valve clearances don't move much over the lifetime it is said.

    If you can find a model post May 08 build the risks of slap and rear end bearings much reduced. Good luck.

  44. #38
    emlevy's Avatar
    Points: 10,747, Level: 71

    Real Name
    emlevy
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,394 / 2 / 6 / 59
    Failed swing arm bearings on '07's? Haven't heard that one before. Did you really mean failed rear hub bearings? If so, BMW issued a worldwide recall years ago. Inspection and replacement if required is at no cost.


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

     

  45. #39
    Points: 6,127, Level: 53

    Real Name
    Simon Humphreys
    Location
    Horsham West Sussex
    Joined
    May 2011
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    335 / 0 / 10 / 61
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by emlevy View Post
    Failed swing arm bearings on '07's? Haven't heard that one before. Did you really mean failed rear hub bearings? If so, BMW issued a worldwide recall years ago. Inspection and replacement if required is at no cost.


    Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    Sorry, yes, this is the one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •