BMW F800 Forum banner

Single best mod

12K views 59 replies 48 participants last post by  N4HHE 
#1 ·
Decision time, ladies and gentlemen...

We've all done something to our bikes, however modest. Many of us have done more than one thing.

Of all those things... which is the single best mod you've done? Think hard and post only ONE mod.

For me, it's an insignificant little $8.99 piece of plastic called the Throttle Rocker. It works almost every minute I'm on my bike, it has improved my throttle control, reduced wrist fatigue and contributed to smoother, easier, better riding. Don't know who invented/designed that little sucker and I have no affiliation with the company. I just know if I could only do one thing non-maintenance related to my bike, that would be it.

Now for a mod I'd like to see - I'd like a turn cancel button that would tell you by positive feedback that your indicators are off. We punch ours, but there is always the risk a right turn gets indicated. Wouldn't it be great if just by feel alone, and no activation, you could tell your signals were quiet. Instead we have to glance at the cluster & hope that no lights means no lights. For another thread, I guess.

ONE MOD... which one????????

See less See more
Reactions: Flook
#2 ·
For me, the answer is easy. My mirror extenders !

#19 ·
May I ask how much you paid for the Öhlin rear suspension kit, and where did you get it for the F 800 ST? And did your dealer do a good and quick job installing t? Thanks.

#9 ·
Foobert - Nope, I meant engine cage. It is available for the S (but I believe not the ST because of fairing design - ST riders out there might be able to correct me on this one?).

There are a couple of varieties out there, but I picked up the BMW's variety. They are apparently available in either Silver or Black (I found this out after my dealer helpfully got me black).

I have done one slow speed drop with the bike, and they did a great job of protecting things. They hold the bike up off the ground high enough that I didn't even break the side signal lights. The bike landed on the engine cage, folded in the mirror (one scrape on the back of the mirror), and a scrape on the GIVI case. It could have been a great deal worse. Very inexpensive insurance!

Pictures speak louder than words...

From behind

From the front

From the side

#11 ·
For me, my frame sliders. I'm a fanatic about them, own every one possible for the bike. Front fork, two different engine sliders, final drive slider and exhaust can slider. Have payed for themselves twice.

2nd place would be the GSXR mirrors with integrated turnsignals I put on

#12 ·
For me, it has to be the monster bar-ends that I had a local toolmaker turn up for me....they match the grip puppy diameter exactly, and are much heavier than the stock ones coming in at 660 grams (1 pound 7 ounces each!). It means that cruising at 70-90 mph is almost vibe-free!

#13 ·
No doubt about it - having the suspension done. The F800ST was a good ride before - but since I had the ELKA rear shock installed and front suspension rebuilt, it sticks to the curves like a fly to fly paper.

And that is what I ride for, so the GPS, the frame sliders, the levers, etc. are all great, but the suspension is what makes the ride.

Reactions: IanA
#21 ·
Hammam,

I had it put on when I purchased the bike, and I'm not sure about the cost. Ohlins just redid their website and are now offering front springs for the S/ST, I will have to look into that next summer or something. Here's the link to the rear, I didn't see a price, but you can expect probably about $500 or so. http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Motorcycle/Products/Sport/BM-706/. I also read that they offer a damper for the S/ST, but it isn't offered on the website....

As far as installation goes, there has to be a Ohlin's certified tech. to do the install. They definitely know what they're doing because Ohlins takes such great pride in their product that they wouldn't let some one do a half-ass an install.

#23 ·
Handguards from the 650.

Almost as good as the hippo hands for really cold days and on those they help keep the hippo hands from pressing against the levers. Otherwise they minimize the wind and rain on the hands and don't seem to lead to hot knuckles on warm days.

#24 ·
Tough call.

But top of my list would be the HID low-beam (awsome)
Then the hyper-lite rear LEDS
Grip puppies to help with the hand numbing vibes.
Bar muffs for the snow are good
Horn upgrade a must
Battery by necessity
Next on the list is a new rear can and then front springs then rear shock.

#25 ·
Tough call.

But top of my list would be the HID low-beam (awsome)
Then the hyper-lite rear LEDS
Grip puppies to help with the hand numbing vibes.
Bar muffs for the snow are good
Horn upgrade a must
Battery by necessity
Next on the list is a new rear can and then front springs then rear shock.
My horn upgrade was a must too.

(Isn't that more than one though Pat? You'll get told off now [;)])

#26 ·
In order of installation:

GSG frame sliders

Leo Vince exhaust can & K&N air filter

Power Commander

A.C. Schnitzer fairing (cosmetic mod - not performance)

Race Tech cartridge emulators (front forks)

planned, when needed:
replace Conti Road Attack tires with stickier Pirelli Diablos

#28 ·
I posted earlier that my favorite mod was the mirror extenders for my 07 ST. I neglected to mention that after getting rear ended and having a mirror broken the dealer replaced both mirrors (Thank you State Farm) with 09 mirrors. BMW made a significant improvement to them by moving the adjustment bolt at the pivot point to the bottom and no matter how much you move the mirror in or out, it never gets loose.
I have to pull my mirrors all the way in every time I enter the garage to squeeze the bike between the wall and a boat. After several times moving the mirrors back and forth they would always get very loose and need tightening. The 09s never get loose! Much better design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.