Initial Break In Completed - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Ray
    5 Days Ago
    Last week i hit the 700 mile mark and took the F800R in for initial service. I had been keeping the RPM's below 5K. This weekend I took it out and rode a little harder revving into the 6-8000 RPM range and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of pull developed. It pulled strong and steady right up to 8000, 75 mph in 2nd which is more than adequate for merging on to the interstate. So far I am really happy with the engine and smoothness of the transmission.

2. LikesRichKerr, KrisCook liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jurgen
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Ray,, it gets better as you rack up the miles. My 2015 F800R has done about 8500 kilometres and is starting to loosen up. Gear changes are better and the engine is really smoothing out. I heard it takes about 12,000 klms for the F800 to be fully run in.
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

Real Name
    Ivan
    1 Day Ago
    I´m hitting 1,600 miles (2,500 km) now, the bike loosened up after the first service (625 miles/1,000km) and kept improving.
    But I never dared rev it above 6,000rpm.
    Now, in 6th gear @6,000 rpm I get above 100mph (160kph).
    I´m curious since you revved it up to 8k in 2nd, did the RPM redline warning come out?
    Ivan - BMW F800R 2016 rider 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jurgen
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    I've never taken my F800R to redline, I can't see the point. The engine is glorious between 3000 rpm and 7000 rpm in any gear..

8. Likesgtutunjian, KrisCook liked this post

Real Name
    Ray
    5 Days Ago
    I didn't notice rev limiter light coming on. Ive had it above 7000 RPM several times now, no problem.

10. ThanksIvanhoe thanked for this post

Real Name
    Oscar
    1 Week Ago
    Great feeling isn't it! I got a used one (2014) with 7200 miles, so worn in a bit. But, i love the fuelling above 5000rpm or so; its a nice kick! i agree with padaek though
    "I've never taken my F800R to redline, I can't see the point. The engine is glorious between 3000 rpm and 7000 rpm in any gear..""
    Ive found the the F800R likes to be revved. Low rpm, it feels like its labouring but isn't, it'll pull away nicely in any gear. Mid rpm is a bit vibey, any thing in the mirrors can be obscured! But high rpm is sweet, found the is plenty of power/torque. I would go as far as its a characterful engine, a lot different to other parallel twins I've ridden .
    2014 F800R. Sakir Orange/Black with triple double wobble sprocket. 

Real Name
    Jurgen
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarthesausage View Post
    Great feeling isn't it! I got a used one (2014) with 7200 miles, so worn in a bit. But, i love the fuelling above 5000rpm or so; its a nice kick! i agree with padaek though
    "I've never taken my F800R to redline, I can't see the point. The engine is glorious between 3000 rpm and 7000 rpm in any gear..""
    Ive found the the F800R likes to be revved. Low rpm, it feels like its labouring but isn't, it'll pull away nicely in any gear. Mid rpm is a bit vibey, any thing in the mirrors can be obscured! But high rpm is sweet, found the is plenty of power/torque. I would go as far as its a characterful engine, a lot different to other parallel twins I've ridden .
    I don't mind the vibrations and pulses through the mid range. For me they aren't intrusive in any way. Reminds me I'm on a motorcycle with an internal combustion engine.

I also love dropping down to say 60kph in top gear then opening the taps. It always pulls away cleanly.

13. Likesoscarthesausage liked this post

Real Name
    Ivan
    1 Day Ago
    Guys leaving aside the redline or not, thing is you got me thinking since I had not pushed the bike beyond 6,000 rpms basically because my current 2,600km have been earned mostly on commuting and freeways are packed here.
    Nonetheless yesterday I tried revving a bit more my low gears, and then pushed 4th and 5th towards the 7,000 rpm zone.
    Oh boy! Different bike, you bet.
    Wow.
    The engine really shows another character.
    I´m an easy rider, and only push the throttle when and if needed, but all the same, it was nice to see those ponies arise in the 6 to 7,5k spot!
    Last edited by Ivanhoe; 5 Days Ago at 06:29 AM. Reason: typpos, repetitions, grammar

Real Name
    Ivan
    1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by 24UNC View Post
    Last week i hit the 700 mile mark and took the F800R in for initial service. I had been keeping the RPM's below 5K. This weekend I took it out and rode a little harder revving into the 6-8000 RPM range and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of pull developed. It pulled strong and steady right up to 8000, 75 mph in 2nd which is more than adequate for merging on to the interstate. So far I am really happy with the engine and smoothness of the transmission.
    strong and steady, oh yeah! Tried it yesterday though I hardly reached 8k once and did mostly 7-7,5k. I am impressed!