BMW F800 Forum banner

Another trip down the windscreen trail...

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  emlevy 
#1 ·
I finally got some good custom earplugs, but even so...there's still some turbulent airflow hitting just around chin level on my helmet and causing noise inside the helmet. If the earplugs are perfectly seated, it's OK...but that's too much fiddling to be worth the effort. So...since the stock screen is 18 inches, I'm going to try the #2478 VStream "touring windscreen", that is 21.25" tall. Hoping the extra 3" will move the turbulence above chin level, and also help with upper torso and shoulder buffeting. I want to do long rides (multi-day) with this bike, but as configured it would be tiring.

Fingers crossed. I'm 5'10", 145 pounds with 32 inch inseam. Hoping this works. If not...back it goes.

[:)]

#4 ·
Let me know if you want to get together later anyway. I ran up to the Canadian border on Tuesday. Going to where you live isn't that far. :) Now that I'm not commuting anymore, I have to "work" at getting miles on my bike so it doesn't feel neglected.

Chris

#5 ·
Flyrider. Hope the taller Vstream works for you. In my experience, going taller does not always change the turbulence/noise. This is often caused by the onrushing air spilling over the top lip of the screen creating a "whirlpool" effect just behind the top of the screen, right where your helmet is. Many riders solve this by fitting some form of "lip" near the top edge of the screen. eg., Xscreen, Laminar Lip etc. Madstad uses much the same principle, mainly by shooting air up the inside of the screen from the bottom, which stops the air tumbling over the top. FWIW, I have the taller Vstream fitted with an Xscreen. This works for me. Dave

#7 ·
Well, I'm going to try it, because for the most part I've solved the noise puzzle with good custom earplugs, but I need to move the top of the airflow up about 3 inches to get it above chin level, where most of the turbulent sound is created. But, as I said...if it doesn't work, back goes the screen...and maybe this bike isn't for me. For some weird reason, I have zero problems with my S1000RR. It has a lower screen, but I tried that with the GT and the chest battering was too much. DIfferent seating positions. Anyway...we'll see. What a conundrum.

#9 ·
2013 GT 5" 8" V stream sport touring w X screen touring. Works to the nines, adjustable for more or less air, hot or cold, interstate or back roads. Had the Madstat, butt ugly with clunky hardware looks like it belongs on an Indian Chief. Just an opinion its America!

#10 ·
It's a "no go", I'm afraid. While the 2478 ZTechnik looks great on the bike, and eliminates most of the buffeting on chest/shoulders, it also moved the wind to a spot on my helmet that left me with an exhausting loud noise that made me immediately want the stock screen back, even with its issues. This is the last screen swap for me...enough is enough. I can ride the bike fine with stock screen...maybe BMW designed it that way for a reason.

#11 ·
Very sorry to hear it. I reached the same conclusion on several bikes, including my ex-Concours, ex-R1200RT and now my GT. I think stock screens are designed for form, not function, but like you, I've been unable to improve upon them by installing aftermarket "solutions." We're obviously all sized and shaped differently and what may work for one may not work for another. That's why I say results are usually subjective and highly individualized.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
This is a lot like life...you expect something and are disappointed. I've learned long ago (but am just now, at age 70, learning to really practice it) that if you have no expectations, you can never be disappointed. It's my personal philosophy. So, back to stock and enjoy the GT for what it is, rather than what it isn't...[:)]

#19 ·
Last weekend I tried my cut down Give touring screen (1" over gem screen height) with the MRA X-screen. Liked the rain free hands on ob 500+ mile ride to Cornwall and back, but not so much the increased wind noise left me with a headache, so back to standard screen plus MRA. Maybe that's just the way it is as you've said.

Never had so much of an issue with screens before, envious of a friend's Pan European with electric windscreen

A thought - has anyone tried increasing the airflow under the standard screen, either enlarging the air cut outs or spacing the screen out? In theory increased airflow under the screen should help reduce the buffeting

#20 ·
Last weekend I tried my cut down Give touring screen (1" over gem screen height) with the MRA X-screen. Liked the rain free hands on ob 500+ mile ride to Cornwall and back, but not so much the increased wind noise left me with a headache, so back to standard screen plus MRA. Maybe that's just the way it is as you've said.

Never had so much of an issue with screens before, envious of a friend's Pan European with electric windscreen

A thought - has anyone tried increasing the airflow under the standard screen, either enlarging the air cut outs or spacing the screen out? In theory increased airflow under the screen should help reduce the buffeting
Did you try some 33db earplugs? I am amazed at how many people I know who ride a lot, and don't use earplugs. The decibel level inside your helmet will cause permanent hearing loss. And if you're getting headaches from it... I don't even ride down the street without earplugs in.

Your theory about increasing the airflow under the screen is exactly why the Madstad works so well.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.