Another trip down the windscreen trail... - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I finally got some good custom earplugs, but even so...there's still some turbulent airflow hitting just around chin level on my helmet and causing noise inside the helmet. If the earplugs are perfectly seated, it's OK...but that's too much fiddling to be worth the effort. So...since the stock screen is 18 inches, I'm going to try the #2478 VStream "touring windscreen", that is 21.25" tall. Hoping the extra 3" will move the turbulence above chin level, and also help with upper torso and shoulder buffeting. I want to do long rides (multi-day) with this bike, but as configured it would be tiring.

Fingers crossed. I'm 5'10", 145 pounds with 32 inch inseam. Hoping this works. If not...back it goes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    49 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Perhaps we can get together before you buy the VStream and you can try my GT with a Madstad. Just a thought...

Chris

4. Thanksword1 thanked for this post

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Perhaps we can get together before you buy the VStream and you can try my GT with a Madstad. Just a thought...

Chris
    Thanks, Chris...much appreciate it. I've ordered the VStream and am going to try it. I like the quality of VStream products, even if I haven't yet found the perfect one. Maybe this is it. I'll be sure to post results.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    49 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Let me know if you want to get together later anyway. I ran up to the Canadian border on Tuesday. Going to where you live isn't that far. Now that I'm not commuting anymore, I have to "work" at getting miles on my bike so it doesn't feel neglected.

Chris

8. LikesSundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    5 Hours Ago
    Flyrider. Hope the taller Vstream works for you. In my experience, going taller does not always change the turbulence/noise. This is often caused by the onrushing air spilling over the top lip of the screen creating a "whirlpool" effect just behind the top of the screen, right where your helmet is. Many riders solve this by fitting some form of "lip" near the top edge of the screen. eg., Xscreen, Laminar Lip etc. Madstad uses much the same principle, mainly by shooting air up the inside of the screen from the bottom, which stops the air tumbling over the top. FWIW, I have the taller Vstream fitted with an Xscreen. This works for me. Dave

Real Name
    Richard
    05-11-17
    Flyrider has already explored many options to no avail. I hope this time it works for you! As unsightly as it is, I too put on a Madstad and am totally pleased with the smooth air.
    '15 F800 GT
    '14 DL650 

11. LikesWildWilly liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Well, I'm going to try it, because for the most part I've solved the noise puzzle with good custom earplugs, but I need to move the top of the airflow up about 3 inches to get it above chin level, where most of the turbulent sound is created. But, as I said...if it doesn't work, back goes the screen...and maybe this bike isn't for me. For some weird reason, I have zero problems with my S1000RR. It has a lower screen, but I tried that with the GT and the chest battering was too much. DIfferent seating positions. Anyway...we'll see. What a conundrum.

Real Name
    Niall-Thomas Booth
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Exactly the same issues im having at the minute, right down to earplug needing to be seated perfectly haha. Im going to try adding a little screen onto the touring one i have at the moment and see if that helps!

Real Name
    Bob
    04-21-17
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '14 CBR600RR
    2013 GT 5" 8" V stream sport touring w X screen touring. Works to the nines, adjustable for more or less air, hot or cold, interstate or back roads. Had the Madstat, butt ugly with clunky hardware looks like it belongs on an Indian Chief. Just an opinion its America!

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    It's a "no go", I'm afraid. While the 2478 ZTechnik looks great on the bike, and eliminates most of the buffeting on chest/shoulders, it also moved the wind to a spot on my helmet that left me with an exhausting loud noise that made me immediately want the stock screen back, even with its issues. This is the last screen swap for me...enough is enough. I can ride the bike fine with stock screen...maybe BMW designed it that way for a reason.

Real Name
    emlevy
    3 Hours Ago
    Very sorry to hear it. I reached the same conclusion on several bikes, including my ex-Concours, ex-R1200RT and now my GT. I think stock screens are designed for form, not function, but like you, I've been unable to improve upon them by installing aftermarket "solutions." We're obviously all sized and shaped differently and what may work for one may not work for another. That's why I say results are usually subjective and highly individualized.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

Real Name
    Richard
    05-11-17
    Dang, I'm sorry to hear. I was really hoping for this one. I still think you should take Chris up and meet and ride his. What could it hurt?
    '15 F800 GT
    '14 DL650 

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKerr View Post
    Dang, I'm sorry to hear. I was really hoping for this one. I still think you should take Chris up and meet and ride his. What could it hurt?
    Couldn't hurt at all. Need to figure out a way to get in a ride like that...

Anyway...no big deal. Just a lot of work (installing screens on the GT is WORK compared to the ST!).

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by emlevy View Post
    Very sorry to hear it. I reached the same conclusion on several bikes, including my ex-Concours, ex-R1200RT and now my GT. I think stock screens are designed for form, not function, but like you, I've been unable to improve upon them by installing aftermarket "solutions." We're obviously all sized and shaped differently and what may work for one may not work for another. That's why I say results are usually subjective and highly individualized.

This is a lot like life...you expect something and are disappointed. I've learned long ago (but am just now, at age 70, learning to really practice it) that if you have no expectations, you can never be disappointed. It's my personal philosophy. So, back to stock and enjoy the GT for what it is, rather than what it isn't...

Real Name
    Chris
    49 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Any excuse for a ride, is a good excuse.

You're only a couple hundred miles from me and over a mountain pass if I remember right.

Chris

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Any excuse for a ride, is a good excuse.

You're only a couple hundred miles from me and over a mountain pass if I remember right.

Chris
    Hey, Chris: It's actually about 500 miles...I'm in Southern Idaho. Be an interesting ride, though...but not until summer when the snow and rain no longer matter!

Real Name
    Bill
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKerr View Post
    Flyrider has already explored many options to no avail. I hope this time it works for you! As unsightly as it is, I too put on a Madstad and am totally pleased with the smooth air.
    What Richard said . . . . . . .
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

Real Name
    Chris
    49 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Hey, Chris: It's actually about 500 miles...I'm in Southern Idaho. Be an interesting ride, though...but not until summer when the snow and rain no longer matter!
    I'm passing through on Thursday, June 8th and Sunday, June 18th.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Adrian Stone
    3 Days Ago
    Last weekend I tried my cut down Give touring screen (1" over gem screen height) with the MRA X-screen. Liked the rain free hands on ob 500+ mile ride to Cornwall and back, but not so much the increased wind noise left me with a headache, so back to standard screen plus MRA. Maybe that's just the way it is as you've said.

Never had so much of an issue with screens before, envious of a friend's Pan European with electric windscreen

A thought - has anyone tried increasing the airflow under the standard screen, either enlarging the air cut outs or spacing the screen out? In theory increased airflow under the screen should help reduce the buffeting

Real Name
    Chris
    49 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Last weekend I tried my cut down Give touring screen (1" over gem screen height) with the MRA X-screen. Liked the rain free hands on ob 500+ mile ride to Cornwall and back, but not so much the increased wind noise left me with a headache, so back to standard screen plus MRA. Maybe that's just the way it is as you've said.

Never had so much of an issue with screens before, envious of a friend's Pan European with electric windscreen

A thought - has anyone tried increasing the airflow under the standard screen, either enlarging the air cut outs or spacing the screen out? In theory increased airflow under the screen should help reduce the buffeting
    Did you try some 33db earplugs? I am amazed at how many people I know who ride a lot, and don't use earplugs. The decibel level inside your helmet will cause permanent hearing loss. And if you're getting headaches from it... I don't even ride down the street without earplugs in.

Your theory about increasing the airflow under the screen is exactly why the Madstad works so well.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    emlevy
    3 Hours Ago
    You can lose your hearing even if you wear earplugs. Properly fitted, they will help attenuate the risk, but they won't completely eliminate it. Just my experience.

Just like Chris, I won't ride without them.

"Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

27. LikesBonnieF liked this post