Gearing Up 2015 F800R - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    40 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    I'm beginning to realise what a fabulous open road bike the F800R is, especially after fitting a MRA screen. Brilliant fuel range, predictable handling and generally comfortable for longer trips. I've also bought some soft luggage ready for touring.

I've always enjoyed long legged bikes, coming off a couple of Moto Guzzi Le Mans, which have tall first and top gears. On the open road they just lope along running off the bike's torque. My Le Mans Mk V was geared at 30 kph for every 1000 rpm in top (5th) gear. In short, 4000 rpm sees 120 kph (via Veglia), 5000 rpm sees 150 kph. When maximum torque comes in at 6000 rpm you are being rocketed along at 180 kph. At that speed the Le Mans could burst through brick walls.

Now,, I'm toying with the idea of gearing up my F800R. The standard counter sprocket has 19 teeth (I think). First and second gears are already quite short compared to the pre 2015 models. So gearing up a bit shouldn't effect getting off the mark too much.

How would a 21 tooth counter sprocket go? Has anyone geared up their F800R?
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Hampshire
    1 Day Ago
    @Jurgen, the BMW F800GT is reading 70 mph, 113 Km/hour at 4,000 rpm, it would be good if that machine was higher geared, but then 6th gear would be an overdrive with not much performance until 6,000 rpm was reached. Not the best.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    40 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
    @Jurgen, the BMW F800GT is reading 70 mph, 113 Km/hour at 4,000 rpm, it would be good if that machine was higher geared, but then 6th gear would be an overdrive with not much performance until 6,000 rpm was reached. Not the best.
    I'm finding the F800 has a very flat torque curve. No real peaks and troughs in the power delivery. It also likes to rev if you ask it to. When I'm just cruising on the open road I could ride all day in 6th gear. If I need to do some rapid over taking dropping down to 5th gear will suffice.

I'm used to bikes with a tall top gear and these bikes had a five speed gear box. If I could get around 4000 rpm for 120 kph I would be happy.
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos.