Anyone changed their std GT screen? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Terry
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Hi Guys
    I am looking to upgrade my screen, l find the std one on long runs seems to deflect the air onto my upper chest area. 165 mile trip was a tad uncomfortable. Changing from the V Strom that's the only criticism as the V screen lifted the air higher.
    Anyone changed theirs? Any advice please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Elgin, Scotland ST404 is offline Volunteer Moderator - GT

Real Name
    Pat
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Terry there are several aftermarket screens available for the GT.

The main ones are the Puig, GIVI (2 versions), VStream and the Madstad.

Of them all the Madstad seems to get the best write ups and will tick all the boxes, but....... and it's a big but.....In the minds of many it's just plain ugly. There are several Screen threads on the forum where the pro's and con's of each are discussed in depth.

If you give your location, there may be other forum members near you that have already fitted an aftermarket screen and you could see the differences in the flesh so to speak

4. LikesSundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    Terry
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by ST404 View Post
    Terry there are several aftermarket screens available for the GT.

The main ones are the Puig, GIVI (2 versions), VStream and the Madstad.

Of them all the Madstad seems to get the best write ups and will tick all the boxes, but....... and it's a big but.....In the minds of many it's just plain ugly. There are several Screen threads on the forum where the pro's and con's of each are discussed in depth.

If you give your location, there may be other forum members near you that have already fitted an aftermarket screen and you could see the differences in the flesh so to speak
    Thanks, as always Pat, for your prompt reply. I live near Stafford. I agree about the 'ugly' concern. The Puig screen looks to be a compromise, the comparison on their web page gives some advice on improved air flow. Maybe as you say someone will have fitted this or other makes.
    Thanks again.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Yves
    1 Week Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by T-J View Post
    Thanks, as always Pat, for your prompt reply. I live near Stafford. I agree about the 'ugly' concern. The Puig screen looks to be a compromise, the comparison on their web page gives some advice on improved air flow. Maybe as you say someone will have fitted this or other makes.
    Thanks again.
    Considered this?

Depending upon personal taste but I prefer this than another screen...
    2013 White F800GT 

Elgin, Scotland ST404 is offline Volunteer Moderator - GT

Real Name
    Pat
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
    Considered this?

Depending upon personal taste but I prefer this than another screen...
    That looks like a happy compromise in respect of looks / cost and I should imagine it works better than most screens.

Do you have the details of make / cost?

Real Name
    Paul Caldwell
    1 Hour Ago
    Hello, I did the Z technik, love it.

Real Name
    Yves
    1 Week Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by ST404 View Post
    That looks like a happy compromise in respect of looks / cost and I should imagine it works better than most screens.

Do you have the details of make / cost?
    Its the MRA X-creen bolt-on type, exist also as a clip-on. Payed 85€ on ebay.de

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MRA-X-creen-T...IAAOSw44BYbQWL
    2013 White F800GT 

Real Name
    Terry
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
    Its the MRA X-creen bolt-on type, exist also as a clip-on. Payed 85€ on ebay.de

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MRA-X-creen-T...IAAOSw44BYbQWL
    Hi Thanks for the reply, great pics. I take it this moves the air direction to a higher flow? No problem drilling the original screen?
    I would prefer to fix as you have rather than clip on.
    Regards Terry

Real Name
    emlevy
    6 Hours Ago
    I expect you will find testimonials to be subjective and highly personal. Many have found happiness with the Madstad and displeasure with everything else, including the brands Pat mentioned. Generally, in my experience, unless you can move the windblast to eye level or higher, changing screens, or simply adding a clip-on spoiler, may amplify the noise and buffeting you are currently experiencing, despite the manufacturer's claims. In fact, removing the screen entirely may give you the best result. YMMV. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

13. LikesSundog52 liked this post

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by gt Paul View Post
    Hello, I did the Z technik, love it.
    Which one? I've got the touring screen coming tomorrow...and I have cautious hope for it. I, too, have been troubled by the OEM screen putting air blast on my upper chest/shoulders.

Real Name
    Paul Caldwell
    1 Hour Ago
    Hey Flyrider, I am 5'9" and got the touring, when raining the wind hits just right and keeps everything clear.

Real Name
    Jason
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Hi Terry. This is my #1 (or really only) issue with the GT. I'm 6'3" with a tall torso and find highway rides more than just a tad uncomfortable. Most of my riding is on local roads and some State highways with speeds of 50 MPH or less so the OEM screen is fine. Full out highway riding is borderline scary and not at all fun to me. My RT was awesome in comparison to the point I would feel the wind push me a little from behind if I adjusted the windscreen fully upright. With the GT, I tried the MRA X-Creen Tour and even with the dual hinge set at different positions I did not find an improvement. Others love the MRA lips. I will likely try removing my OEM entirely per Emlevy's comment, or I may spring for a Madstad and maybe fly a Jolly Roger flag behind me while at it one day . Best of luck with your hunt. With a little money and some research and trial and error, I'm hopeful you resolve the wind blast.
    used 2004 R1150RT -> new 2014 F800GT

Real Name
    Chris
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Like others, I really like the Madstad. The looks grows on you. I bought my GT a year ago from a retired cardiologist. He didn't post much here, but spent a lot of time researching the best mods to put on the bike. And being a retired cardiologist, I suspect money was no object. He chose the Madstad...and I'm glad.

The secret is not totally directing air to the top of your helmet. The result, if that's the only thing the windscreen does, is to have the wind swirl up and over...and then back at you. That's where you get a lot of the turbulence, noise and back pressure. The Madstad has a gap under the windscreen that allows air to flow into that low pressure area behind the windscreen. The result for me, is nice smooth flowing air and it is markedly quieter than the OEM windshield.

Chris

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Like others, I really like the Madstad. The looks grows on you. I bought my GT a year ago from a retired cardiologist. He didn't post much here, but spent a lot of time researching the best mods to put on the bike. And being a retired cardiologist, I suspect money was no object. He chose the Madstad...and I'm glad.

The secret is not totally directing air to the top of your helmet. The result, if that's the only thing the windscreen does, is to have the wind swirl up and over...and then back at you. That's where you get a lot of the turbulence, noise and back pressure. The Madstad has a gap under the windscreen that allows air to flow into that low pressure area behind the windscreen. The result for me, is nice smooth flowing air and it is markedly quieter than the OEM windshield.

Chris
    One thing I noticed about the VStream shields for the F800GT is that they use bushings at the base of the screen between the back of the screen and the bike attachment points (those 3 in the front). This produces a gap of something on the order of 3/8-1/2 inch, allowing air to flow under the screen. I am hopeful that this feature, and the 21 1/4 inch height of the touring VStream screen (stock is 18") will give a good result. If not...the screen goes back, and I try the Madstad.

Real Name
    Yves
    1 Week Ago
    Hi Thanks for the reply, great pics. I take it this moves the air direction to a higher flow? No problem drilling the original screen?
    I would prefer to fix as you have rather than clip on.
    Regards Terry
    Everything is well documented and included in the kit is a template for drilling the holes in the original screen.
    As for my experience, never tried another brand of screen on my ST or GT, only the MRA X-creen and on the ST I had to fiddle with the position of the screen to get a result I was happy with. On the GT I had it almost right from the beginning. For me it was just a matter to get rid of the buffeting/turbulence around my helmet. I can now drive longer stretches at higher speeds without getting to tired, its not perfect but a big improvement.
    2013 White F800GT 

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by gt Paul View Post
    Hey Flyrider, I am 5'9" and got the touring, when raining the wind hits just right and keeps everything clear.
    How was the wind blast/turbulence and wind noise compared to stock?

Real Name
    Raul Serrano
    4 Days Ago
    I about 5ft 5, with standard seat on the GT. And bar backs. Was looking to ease wind blast on Hwy. Tried both V Steams..
    Just got back from 120 mile ride with Madstad 18. Have it about 1 inch from lowest position..
    Works the best so far. Little to no buffering, and quiet.
    Using this bike for mainly sport touring.

Raul

Real Name
    Paul Caldwell
    1 Hour Ago
    It is a VAST improvement over stock!

Real Name
    Niall-Thomas Booth
    23 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Hi Terry!

I too changed from a V-strom to a GT (with a brief period on a varadero in between! haha) The standard screen for me was doing exactly what you described, alot of wind into the upper chest area resultign in a less than comfortable ride.

I changed the standard screen for a Puig touring screen. I'm 6ft3 so a little taller than you and it completely stopped wind from hitting me in the chest. I still get wind hitting me on the top of the shoulders and helmet but i can live with that (Earplugs!) Well worth the money but still not the complete windblock i had from my vstrom and a givi airflow

in summary:
    Puig touring screen is a huge improvement over the stock screen but i think it still requires a little extra height/additional deflector (which you could gt either wunderlich or mra or laminar lip or something to help with im sure).

Real Name
    Robert
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    As I mentioned earlier (oops my first post didn't go through),here is my solution to the standard screen: Puig + Wunderlich deflector.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	243097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	243105

Very little wind noise and no buffeting. Nirvana.

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Hi Guys
    I am looking to upgrade my screen, l find the std one on long runs seems to deflect the air onto my upper chest area. 165 mile trip was a tad uncomfortable. Changing from the V Strom that's the only criticism as the V screen lifted the air higher.
    Anyone changed theirs? Any advice please?
    This really depends on how tall you are IMO. GT and adequate wind management for tall riders is troublesome for sure. I found MRA Xcreen Touring to move the wind from mid chest to neck and lower helmet which was useful for mitigating push-back at high speeds for sure, but very noisy. Seems like folks in the 5'9" on down do well w/ available aftermarket screens.

Real Name
    Alan
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Hi Terry

I ran with the Givi touring screen (with extra aerofoil) until recently when I changed to the Madstad. The Givi is fantastic but there's maybe too much wind protection for European touring when it's hot. My plan was to swap them over in the winter but it's too much of a faff, to be honest.

If you want to try my Givi then I'm sure that I could find a box to post it to you and, if you like it, we could agree a deal. If not, just send it back.

Real Name
    Geoff
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    T-J,

You may want to review this thread as well:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...ndscreen-trail
    Sundog 

Real Name
    Bob
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '14 CBR600RR
    2013 GT 5' 8" V Stream sport touring w/ Xscreen touring. Works to the nines, adjustable for more or less air/ hot or cold /interstate or back roads. Had the Madstat, butt ugly with clunky hardware. Everyone has there own opinion its America!

Real Name
    Terry
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Hi All
    As always l can't believe the help on this site, thank to all. Thanks especially to Alan for the offer and to Pat.
    After looking at the info and the information on the Puig web site, see below link, l have ordered a Puig screen, at the cost from Mandp l though that combined with the info it was worth a punt. I am away, without the bike, next week but when l return and have fitted it, after a few long runs l will post my thoughts
    Regards Terry
    http://www.puigusa.com/descargas/PUIG20452.pdf

Real Name
    Adrian Stone
    4 Hours Ago
    I see on the M&P site they also do the same screen with a deflector -http://www.mandp.co.uk/f800gt-13-puig-l-t-touring-screen-with-deflector.html

Anyone tried this combination?

Looking to change mine - I'd recent bought what I thought was a Give Touring screen from eBay, it was, but the seller didn't advise that they had cut the screen down, so still wind to eyes, more noise, but hands out of airflow! They're willing to have it back, so still searching for the right screen.

I like the idea of the Madstad, but it's expensive in the UK, £315 or so. Such a shame Give are not planning on making an air-flow screen for the GT

Real Name
    Alan
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post

Looking to change mine - I'd recent bought what I thought was a Give Touring screen from eBay, it was, but the seller didn't advise that they had cut the screen down, so still wind to eyes, more noise, but hands out of airflow! They're willing to have it back, so still searching for the right screen.
    Adrian, why don't you pick up my Givi (with aerofoil) when you're passing in June? See how you like/don't like it and take it from there. Alan

You can also take out my GT with the Madstad fitted and see how you get on with that?

32. ThanksWomble thanked for this post

Real Name
    Adrian Stone
    4 Hours Ago
    Hi Alan, that's very kind, thank you. However, having just been down to Tavistock for the BMW Club AGM I think I might need something before then for the for the't like it, but think he'd not trip to Scotland. I really noticed the wind blast and how cold it was, despite the temp gauge showing 15 to 17 degrees! Very different to the MRA airflow on my GS!

Interestingly I was talking to another club member a few days ago with a Madstad on his GT, who really didn't like it, but think maybe he hadn't tried out adjusting it much to find what works.

I'll be stopping off in Dumfries on the Friday evening, 2 June, then on through Glasgow and on to Tayvallich on Saturday if you are around?

Real Name
    Bill
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Another Madstad supporter and I'm on my 2nd. (Two GTs) When I installed the first Madstad I thought it was the ugliest thing ever and that I would never get past the looks. When I got it dialed in it was (and is) a thing of beauty. Once dialed in, I don't change it very often, but the beauty is that it CAN be dialed in to fit me.
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

35. LikesSundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    Sam
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 Vn900
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    I installed the V-Stream Touring. I'm 5'8" using bar risers and a foot peg lowering kit. With that set-up most of the wind hits the top of my helmet. If I am filming with a side-mounted GoPro and want to keep stray bug splatters down I add an MRA X-Creen Tour to add a bit more wind deflection. Here's a short video with that set-up:
    2015 F800GT, Montego Blue Metallic
    Bar backs, Foot peg lowering kit, Keyed Touring Cases, VStream Touring Screen
    LED Taillight assembly, Dynamic Motorrad LED turn signal bulbs, FZ-1 Fuzeblock 

Real Name
    Vic
    23 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Hi Adrian

I replaced my standard screen with a Puig . I'm only a shortass at 5ft 4" and the difference in buffeting from the wind is hugely reduced for me, schlepping down the M1 for 200 miles is comfortable, not at all tiring. It was an easy changeover too. Also fitted the MV Risers and the reduced forward lean and upright position now make long distances easy .

38. ThanksWomble thanked for this post
    LikesWomble liked this post