A word to the wise to all UK licence holders - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I thought I would share a word to the wise with you.

Last year, September actually, I came back from a nice few weeks away in my motorhome. I parked it on my drive and started clearing things off as one does, along with other checks around the vehicle. This is when I noticed a dent in the offside at the extreme rear about shoulder height. To say I was annoyed might be an understatement, I could not recall catching anyone when I stopped off at a motorway service station, or at any time on the way back.

Between the outer and inner walls of a motorhome is insulated with compressed foam or something similar due to potential water ingress, via it being dew or rain etc to enter any possible split I could not see, I made arrangements to have it repaired.

A week later I had a letter from Wiltshire Police, saying I was seen driving my motorhome catching another vehicle. After the initial shock of that letter saying I had created damage to the motorhome and another vehicle, I contacted my Insurance company and advised them there may be a claim at some time in the future, and I have arranged to have the motorhome repaired carried out at my own cost. In theory I should save myself all the extra costs over the years of increased insurance covers for the car motorbike bike as well as the motorhome. Well that was the theory and it sounded good at the time.

The following five months came and went, during this time I found out via a solicitor that I should have notified the police within 24 hours of noticing the dent, this I did not do. It was pointed out to me, if you do not let the Police know of any damage to your vehicle that has happened anywhere in a public place or highway, you may face a minimum of 5-10 penalty points on your licence if you were seen. Apparently there is no excuse in Law, everyone should know you should report an accident, even if you did not know you had hit something like I did.

So having had a solicitor since that time, and a barrister at the time of the Court date. I had my licence endorsed for driving without due care and attention, and failing to report. Both of these are now on my licence, along with 5 penalty points for not reporting, but no points for driving without due care.

The following day I received a letter from my car insurance to renew. I rang them to let them be aware of the situation. They checked all details out, and informed me because I had notified the motorhome insurance (remember that about theory), there was an extra cost of £50??? also due to the failing to report and without due care would take my £400 which I had been notified of to that of £1200??????? Remember that about theory! I am now with another company (surprise surprise).

All the bills for Solicitor, and Barrister, plus overnight stay for the Court, and fees with court costs etc came to over 2K. So much for theory.

Lessons learnt are; if I have any form of dent in any vehicle I will notify the police accordingly, to potentially save myself 5 further points, let the Insurance company know and claim on them. Use the free advice legal service and save money that way, 'perhaps'.

So the word to the wise is this; if you have any form of dent in your vehicle, and not sure or if you have any idea where it may have happened, inform the police, remember, there is no excuse not by law.

Best to cover your back than to face any consequences and costs of defence, also of any false witnesses to say you caused it when you may well not have.
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    2 Hours Ago
    Wow! Things are tough in the UK. In CA, many drivers that get in accidents just abandon their unregistered or stolen vehicle and run off into the bushes. Even drivers that have their license revoked in court, just keep on driving their cars - no license, no insurance and no penalties. Hardly anyone ever gets jail time for a traffic violations that don't result in a death as the jail are too full of really bad people getting free room and board and free medical services. The state is full of scofflaws. And now the latest law that is about to be approved would wave or reduce fines and court bonds for criminals who are deemed not to have the ability to pay. Here only law-abiding citizens who have money in the bank get screwed. Like you, apparently.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

4. ThanksFlook thanked for this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    were moving to CA. Cheers mate
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Richard, here in the UK we have a method using a points system on your license. We all start off with nil points on our license, 3 points for speeding, 3-9 points for driving without due care and attention, 5-10 points for driving and failing to report and accident. We are allowed up to 12 points on our license, after that we have our license taken away for either a few months, year or more or a total ban.

So if you drive without due care and get 3 points, you have an accident and get 6 points plus you were speeding another 3 points, that is your twelve points, one point over any of those and no license.

I still cannot work out though, as I was not aware that I struck another vehicle (BMW X5, apparently) and was not aware I made contact how could I be done for driving and failing to report! It has been explained to me, for I had noticed the damage within 24hours and had failed to report my motorhome damage to the police, I assume that because I did not report and get a crime number they considered that as "failing to report"...

So UK license holders, if you park in a motorway service area, that is considered a public highway, as is, a shopping area, fuel station and so on.

Also the BMW owner had a witness, I have a sneaky feeling they know the witness, and took it from there. So also be aware, although you may not have caught anyone, but a vehicle owner that has their vehicle near yours and their vehicle is damaged and they have a friend who is willing to be a witness to say you caught it, you may well be in trouble. So any damage you see to any vehicle you have, including your beloved bike, cover your arse and report to the police, otherwise you may well find yourself in the same situation as I was, and it aint nice.

Flook

8. ThanksRichard230 thanked for this post

Real Name
    Dick Snow
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 Concours 14
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Jeez Dave! Thanks for the heads up on this! Sickening to say the least!

Real Name
    terry
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    We all know it's a crazy world we live in, maybe it's best not to look for dents and scrapes at all Dave, then you could say you'd no knowledge of how and when it happened. The trouble is some bugger would have snapped you driving away in this camera wielding internet obsessed world and posted it on social media. A lesson learnt - the hard way and don't worry about penalty points. My father-in-law at the age of 88 was banned for 6mths under the totting up system. Did it stop him driving? No of course not, had a pub lunch every day and how did he get there - drove of course!! As far as I'm aware he didn't tell his insurance company and got away with it. Sorry, didn't tell you he was a retired high ranking policeman - probably helped the other ranks to turn a blind eye.

Luckily we don't have bike MOTs here yet but if we did - a large proportion of bikes would fail first try.

Keep your chin up Dave, there's worse things happening.
    "I don't regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many - enjoy it - you may be the first to still be riding your F800 at 100yrs old!"  

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I hope no one notices the front bumper on my Camry. We bonk into parking structures and such, not other vehicles, and the bumper is well decorated with loose paint chips.
    In England I might be labeled a hazard to myself and be grievously fined.
    What was once the mightiest nation in the World is relegated to NANNY.
    A nattering Nanny at that. Shame on you. You scoff law you.
    Or in the words on the posters in our National Parks, " ignorance of the law is no excuse". So be careful and mind what you don't know.

12. Likesoxytotl, Flook liked this post

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    2 Hours Ago
    We have a "points system" in California, too. But no one seems to pay any attention to it. If you loose your license, you just keep on driving. In California you don't need "no stinking license" to drive a car - especially if it is a mid-1990's Honda, or an old pickup filled with landscaping equipment, both of which will have so many dents on them that you would think they are a golf ball.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

14. Likesnotacop, Flook liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    "you would think they are a golf ball."

Or an old system 2 BMW helmet.

16. LikesFlook liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Here on the "Islands" both the Irish Gardi and the UK police rely heavily on ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) technology, meaning all they need to do is just sit by the roadside and wait for an offending vehicle to pass by - then pounce. They know from the ANPR whether the vehicle is taxed, insured or has been road tested as their computer automatically scans registration plates of ANY vehicle it sees - so there's very little chance of not being seen by 'big brother' at some stage on one of your shopping trips. Over twenty years ago I had a daily return journey of about 200miles to work and back from Folkestone to Romford and I counted the number of cameras on EACH carriageway there were 50 to 60 that could track my movements - that was 20yrs ago! So in Daves case it's likely that a camera had been recording his every movements.

"Big Brother is watching YOU"!
    "I don't regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many - enjoy it - you may be the first to still be riding your F800 at 100yrs old!"  

18. LikesFlook liked this post

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    2 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by oxytotl View Post
    Here on the "Islands" both the Irish Gardi and the UK police rely heavily on ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) technology, meaning all they need to do is just sit by the roadside and wait for an offending vehicle to pass by - then pounce. They know from the ANPR whether the vehicle is taxed, insured or has been road tested as their computer automatically scans registration plates of ANY vehicle it sees - so there's very little chance of not being seen by 'big brother' at some stage on one of your shopping trips. Over twenty years ago I had a daily return journey of about 200miles to work and back from Folkestone to Romford and I counted the number of cameras on EACH carriageway there were 50 to 60 that could track my movements - that was 20yrs ago! So in Daves case it's likely that a camera had been recording his every movements.

"Big Brother is watching YOU"!
    Some of our police departments have the same technology, too. But it rarely seems to do anything but ping when the offending vehicle drives by. I suspect that the cop's hands are so sticky from eating donuts that they can't get them off their steering wheel fast enough to turn on the blue lights and siren and just give up trying to chase the vehicle. Plus, many communities don't want the ANPR system as they are concerned about "privacy" and public information collection. Of course, they have no concerns about Google, Amazon, or most other internet companies that know more about them than the NSA.

20. Likesoxytotl, TelemarkTumalo liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Richard over here we have popular TV programs dedicated to traffic cops showing how they use the ANPR to catch unsuspecting drivers, the 'best bits' are when they seize and impound the vehicle then putting it into the crusher for having no MOT (annual car test). If the vehicle hasn't a current road safety certificate (MOT) and is being driven on the road you're generally not given a second chance, especially if it's old car. The police wont say 'that's ok' after being stopped, you will be left at the roadside, a transporter will pick up the vehicle and taken to the pound and from there if unlucky to the crusher. My elderly *mother-in-laws car was parked at the supermarket for her weekly shop, as she went to load her shopping police came up to her pointing out she'd no current MOT, they arranged for her to be taken home, the car was taken away and eventually crushed, still it was a Skoda Fabia so it wasn't that bad.

*wife of said policeman in previous post - he'd forgotten to get it re-tested and couldn't be bothered to do anything about it.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Terry, no camera's were harmed in the car park, only a human so called witness who the CPS took on board their statement and would not budge despite evidence to the contrary, even on the day of reckoning. Could have been worse though, I could be buying a second hand BMW with a damaged drivers side mirror

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    2 Hours Ago
    Here is a drunk driving tip for you from our California drivers. When you crash and are drunk or drugged out of your mind, just abandon your car, run home, call the cops and say your car was stolen the previous night and you just woke up after passing out during a party at your home. Seems to work every time.

24. Likesoxytotl liked this post
    Elgin, Scotland ST404 is offline Volunteer Moderator - GT

Real Name
    Pat
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Some of our police departments have the same technology, too. But it rarely seems to do anything but ping when the offending vehicle drives by. I suspect that the cop's hands are so sticky from eating donuts that they can't get them off their steering wheel fast enough to turn on the blue lights and siren and just give up trying to chase the vehicle. Plus, many communities don't want the ANPR system as they are concerned about "privacy" and public information collection. Of course, they have no concerns about Google, Amazon, or most other internet companies that know more about them than the NSA.
    Richard, eating donuts like these fine officers

https://youtu.be/W5bq2cYEJIg

26. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Bloody humans, they're too fond of blabbing. Dave you could have selected an old Corolla or Fiesta to dink, asking for trouble hitting a penis substitute X5, he probably wraps it up every night and takes it to bed ..... and like Harley owners spend his waking hours polishing ....... sorry I'm rabbiting on in my own parallel universe.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I agree, but the driver was a woman apparently, witness a woman, us men do not get a look in these day's

29. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I have posted the original post elsewhere, and my oh my, has this been a cause for discussion.

If anyone is interested in trolling through 7 pages of interesting ideas and discussions then PM me and I will direct you accordingly. From this other site it appears I have fellow drivers who are Solicitors and who are advising accordingly. Now that was not expected at all.

Flook

Real Name
    Mark
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 CRF250L
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 R1200GS
    Interesting story Dave. Too bad that it became oh, so complicated. In Mark's perfect world, you would have been connected to the X5 driver, paid her for her damages, repaired your own motor home, and called it good. Instead, we need to send lawyers, guns and money.....