F850gs - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    It appears BMW is taking Ducati Multistrada and Honda Africa Twin on directly with the announcement on the F850GS. An up in horsepower and 270 degree crank. Could be very interesting.

I'd love to see the 850 engine in a bike similar to the F800R. This may also give Triumph Speed Triple and Ducati Monster a bit of a shake up..

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/n...f800gs-f850gs/
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

2. LikesRichKerr, Mokkybear liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Interesting... If they are making that many changes to the GS model, I wonder how long before those kind of changes are flowed into the other models?

I don't have a problem with the horsepower of the GT at 90. I don't use half of it most of the time anyway. I'm also realistic enough to realize that if I did try to use all 90 hp in the winter with the rain and slick roads, the traction control would kick in. I'm also realistic to know that motorcycle reviews have an influence on sales and those reviewers want to see high hp numbers, even if they aren't used by normal people on the road. Plus, it gives buyers bragging rights. So a higher horsepower motor would be a good thing. And maybe, just maybe...it'll be even smoother than this one.

Chris

5. LikesRichKerr, padaek liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    2 Weeks Ago
    I've also seen the same pics called the new F900GS.. so I guess no one knows for sure. And like you, I wonder what this would mean for the GT going forward. I guess I won't have to worry much tho, this one should be good for many years to come. I sure can't see anything that would make me want to trade this one in.
    '15 F800 GT
    '14 DL650 

7. LikesDaboo, padaek liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    2 Days Ago
    Whatever BMW plans for the new "F800GS", one thing is for sure, it is going to cost a lot more, be heavier and be more electronically involved than the current version.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Chris
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'm sure you're right about the additional complexity and cost. Hmmm...not so sure about the weight. BMW seems to do anything to keep the weight down, even if it lessens the durability of the bike. And magazine reviewers won't mention that, unless the bike fails on them in the short time they have it. So I wouldn't expect much increase in the weight.

But your points make me wonder how close the new model will come to the R1200GS. That bike is getting a lot of competition from other manufacturers like KTM and Triumph. Now it'll get competition from the new bike as well.

Chris

Real Name
    Ian
    1 Day Ago
    Looks like it may have cruise control. There is a very familiar looking switch for it on the left grip. The "switch within a switch" for set and resume.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 3.11.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	244209

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
    Looks like it may have cruise control. There is a very familiar looking switch for it on the left grip. The "switch within a switch" for set and resume.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 3.11.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	244209
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if cruise control is an extra-cost option, like the $900 BMW GPS that will be sold to be used with the control wheel next to the left grip. I have the cruise control on my RS and I really like it. It works just as well as one on an automobile. But, of course these extra-cost factory-farkles will be packed into the first-year introductory (beta) models and will drive up the cost quite a bit over the advertised "base" model's price - which of course, will be impossible to find.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Richard
    2 Weeks Ago
    Yes, and with throttle by wire on the 17 GT, I would think that in 18 cruise will be an add on option too. A real cruise would be nice to have though, but I can get by with the throttle lock pretty easy.
    '15 F800 GT
    '14 DL650 

Real Name
    Chris
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I was coming back from the prison tonight, and just thinking how nice my GT was. Steady in the winds. Fun to lean over into the turns. Just nice all around.

So how much money will it cost me to get cruise control...that I would use 1% of the time?

Instead of short-shifting as I would normally, I let the bike accelerate to 60 in a lower gear and felt the bike respond like it was eager to finally be let lose. It felt good.

I like what I have.

Chris

Real Name
    Jurgen
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I was coming back from the prison tonight, and just thinking how nice my GT was. Steady in the winds. Fun to lean over into the turns. Just nice all around.

So how much money will it cost me to get cruise control...that I would use 1% of the time?

Instead of short-shifting as I would normally, I let the bike accelerate to 60 in a lower gear and felt the bike respond like it was eager to finally be let lose. It felt good.

I like what I have.

Chris
    I very rarely use cruise contol in my car. I doubt I'd use it on a motorcycle.

Real Name
    Ian
    1 Day Ago
    There are a group of people that complain "The GT would be perfect with cruise control, bigger fairing. Lower pegs, etc." Some are completely happy.

I'm not advocating anything just saying the test GS looks like it has it. I'd hope the GT would have it for those interested. It would be nice. Would BMW make it an option? Who cares? I rarely see a minimum spec'd BMW anywhere. Throttle locks work but I rarely use the one I have because it's simply a throttle lock and not a cruise control. The high mileage folks that do touring would probably like the option.

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    2 Days Ago
    I am happy to use the cruise control feature of my RS any time that I am on a freeway and not in heavy traffic.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    I am happy to use the cruise control feature of my RS any time that I am on a freeway and not in heavy traffic.
    Just wondering Richard,, does cruise control on a bike work the same as a car? Touch the brakes and does it turn off?

Real Name
    Richard Harmon
    2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by padaek View Post
    Just wondering Richard,, does cruise control on a bike work the same as a car? Touch the brakes and does it turn off?
    Yes it does. You can touch either brake lever, touch the clutch lever, or shut off the system via the switch to turn the system off. And you can change your speed via a switch that increases or decreases your speed by 1 mph each time you touch the lever. Also, you can increase your speed using the throttle even though the cruise control is on, such as if you are passing someone, and then close the throttle and the system will resume its original set speed.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Yes it does. You can touch either brake lever, touch the clutch lever, or shut off the system via the switch to turn the system off. And you can change your speed via a switch that increases or decreases your speed by 1 mph each time you touch the lever. Also, you can increase your speed using the throttle even though the cruise control is on, such as if you are passing someone, and then close the throttle and the system will resume its original set speed.
    Thanks Richard. I don't ride many roads where cruise control woud be useful. Most of my riding is on twisty rural back roads or coastal roads where I'm constantly on the brakes and throttle.

I try to avoid the major highways unless absolutely necessary..

Real Name
    Mark H
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    With this announcement, I expect the F800GT and R will also be at the end of their line not too far into the future - why produce two engines so similar. Will this also be an opportunity for a cosmetic make-over too?

I was surprised BMW didn't add cruise control as an option when the GT and R went ride-by wire - it's only an extra switch and some software (all the other sensors/switches are there).

If you'd have asked me a few years ago whether I would want CC on a bike, the answer would definitely have been no. But having found a Kaoko very useful on my F800ST in the last few years of ownership, CC on my R1200R is an absolute blessing - one of my favourite features on the bike. I avoid slabbing like the plague, but use CC in so many other situations, even only for short sections such as the 80 km/h limit coming into a country town, or through the town at 60. It is so quick and easy to engage/disengage/adjust with just a flick of the index finger, and it means you aren't continually looking down to check your speed and can be fully engaged looking around at other traffic and potential hazards. And, you can wave to approaching riders with your right hand ...
    R1200R-LC ​Exclusive in Thunder Grey with Touring Pack. Formerly Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. ABS, BMW panniers & topcase, trip computer, clear indicators, Ricor Intiminators, SW-Motech frame and R&G front axle sliders, coolant level check light, GS911 

Real Name
    Mark H
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    The 270 degree crank portends well for potential improvements to exhaust sound quality, too
    R1200R-LC ​Exclusive in Thunder Grey with Touring Pack. Formerly Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. ABS, BMW panniers & topcase, trip computer, clear indicators, Ricor Intiminators, SW-Motech frame and R&G front axle sliders, coolant level check light, GS911 

Real Name
    Mark H
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    From AMCN - not much additional info, but they're speculating it will be called a 900
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1918.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	244545  

24. ThanksRichard230 thanked for this post

Real Name
    Jurgen
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokkybear View Post
    The 270 degree crank portends well for potential improvements to exhaust sound quality, too
    The first time I took notice of a bike with a 270 deg crank was my friend's Yamaha TRX 850. He had fitted a pair of after market cans (I think they were Arrow, it was a while ago) and his bike just sounded sweet. I remember following him up Clyde Mountain (I was on my Guzzi Le Mans at the time) and had this huge grin on my face.

26. LikesMokkybear liked this post