My F800ST tidy up project - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Stephen
    1 Week Ago
    Thought I'd make a quick thread here, as some might be interested to have a look at what I've been doing on my F800ST.

After selling my car last year, I decided to buy another bike purely for commuting & long distance riding (my Ducati had some ... well reliability issues )

I had a good look around the local dealers and couldn't find a bike that I really liked the look of, till I saw the F800ST.

I've done about 2000 miles on it in the 3 months I've owned it, and plan to take it on a 3000 mile euro-tour in July, so wanted to clean it up a bit and fix a few little niggly bits that have been annoying me since I first bought it.

About a month after I bought it someone decided they wanted to key the fairings, so that was high on my list to rectify (As a pro car painted, paintwork issues drive me mad).

It also had some after market decals which when removed showed a load of hidden scratches that I'd never seen before. I decided as I was going to paint all the fairings anyway, I might as well do a full colour change. I struggled to settle on a colour, I was originally going to paint it Estoril blue, but ultimately decided to paint it 'BMW Long Beach Blue' as I fancied a change and had never seen an F800 with such a light blue colour.

I prepped the rear fairings first, only having a little scratch on one side.

After painting and putting back on the bike.

I then set about doing the front fairings.

I don't know how the previous owned managed to scratch them this badly, but the orbital sander made quick work of cleaning the panels up.

And all in primer ready to basecoat up.

I've got the top fairings in primer, and still need to polish the other bits so will get some more pictures up once that's done tomorrow/thursday hopefully.

Next on my list is to fit a USB charger, and hopefully to find a new exhaust for the bike.

2. LikesTheMeteor, IanA liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Your prep work looks really good, as does the finished piece. Can you tell us a bit about the steps you took and the tools you used? I've got some scratches I'd like to get rid of too!
    F800ST - 2008
    My Garage

11 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Looks like BMW Estoril Blue, looks great

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Stephen
    1 Week Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Runmyownlife View Post
    Your prep work looks really good, as does the finished piece. Can you tell us a bit about the steps you took and the tools you used? I've got some scratches I'd like to get rid of too!
    Thanks for the comments. I've got the other bits painted now so need to get some more pictures when I pull the bike out of the garage.

I cleaned the panels off using an all purpose cleaner, the scratches were sanded with 320 grit on a 3inch orbital sander, It took longer to sand them with 320 rather than going coarser with 180 grit, however sometimes using 180 grit on plastic can make the plastic go 'furry' and can be difficult to sort out, so I opted to take my time and make it easier later on in the priming stage.

Once sanded down, I ensured all the repairs were feathered out correctly to the surrounding paintwork, then used a 500grit softback sanding sponge and some red scotchbrite to key the rest of the panel for primer. I used a wet-on-wet primer surfacer (usually called a sealer in the US & Canada) to prime the full panel, usually I'd just paint straight over that if there were no dirt nibs and if the finish was good, however I had a few little imperfections I wanted to sand out so just allowed it to dry and flatted it with 500 grit prior to basecoat.

I used a basecoat clearcoat system (Sikkens Waterbase) and applied basecoat till it had covered, then two coats of 2k HS clear was applied. Once cured under infrared lamps, I used 2000 grit to sand down any dirt nibs, and followed with a 3m Trizact polishing pad (3000 grit) prior to polishing it up with a rotary buffer & Roar 610 Compound.

If I was repairing some minor scratches but keeping the same colour I'd have a similar process, but would actually be easier. I'd sand the scratches and feather out with the area with 320 grit, I'd then go over the sanded area with 500 grit to remove any 320 scratches, I'd use a 1000 grit sanding sponge & grey scotch to key the rest of the paintwork (if you go coarser than around 800 grit with some paint systems on metallics you will see sanding scratches under the fresh paintwork).

I'd clean the panel off again, then prime only the repaired area, ideally using a 2k high build primer, but for small areas a 1k high build would be fine. I'd allow that to dry then apply a black guidecoat, followed by flatting it with 500 grit, then going over with a 800-1000 grit sanding sponge once again. I'd then apply basecoat over the primed area, blending it into the original paint, doing this rather than basing up the full panel allows you to use less paint, as well as keeping the colour local, so if there is any slight difference in the original colour and the colour you've mixed it shouldn't be visible if blended correctly. I'd then go over with a decent 2k lacquer once again and flat and buff using the

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Fandango View Post
    Looks like BMW Estoril Blue, looks great
    Thanks for the comment.

I was originally going to paint it Estoril Blue, but decided on a slightly lighter blue which is BMW Long Beach Blue. I think the colour is only used on the BMW M2 Model, just to be a bit different.

8. Likesemlevy liked this post

Real Name
    Mark
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '13 CRF250L
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Hi Stephen. I appreciate your attention to your craft. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Real Name
    emlevy
    3 Hours Ago
    Wow, what a process! Thank you for explaining it so clearly, step-by-step. That's not something I would have the skills, talent or patience to ever attempt myself. Excellent!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

11. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by emlevy View Post
    Wow, what a process! Thank you for explaining it so clearly, step-by-step. That's not something I would have the skills, talent or patience to ever attempt myself. Excellent!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    I agree, your response is concise and clear. If you can articulate your craft so well, I can understand why the finished product is outstanding.

Consider a part time job as "How To" guy!
    F800ST - 2008
    My Garage

Real Name
    Stephen
    1 Week Ago
    Thanks for all the kind words guys. When you're passionate about something it always makes it easier

Managed to get a quick picture from a ride yesterday of the finished (nearly) product. Still got to give it a final polish and paint the front mudguard, then all that's left is to fit all the aftermarket bits I want on it.

14. LikesTelemarkTumalo, oxytotl liked this post

11 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    That looks like a Baby Blade?

Real Name
    Peter
    4 Weeks Ago

Think its a VFR400R - mini RC30?
    That's one bike I still drool over....the RC30

11 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Panuno View Post
    Me too, sadly prices are now far too rich for me

Real Name
    Stephen
    1 Week Ago
    It's a very early CBR400RR NC23, so yeah a Baby Blade. Out on it's maiden voyage after being laid up for about 8 years, a friend just bought it after passing his test. It's got some niggly issues but is a bloody nice bike to ride .

Quote Originally Posted by Panuno View Post
    It's a CBR, I do however have a nice little VFR400R NC30 sat in my unit having some work done for a friend. They're absolutely lovely little bikes and sound gorgeous, It just feels tiny compared to the BMW.

Funny you should mention the RC30 though, the guy my friend bought the CBR off had a garage full of bikes, and had two RC30's just sat around waiting to be restored, last I looked on eBay they were fetching 20-30 grand

11 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    The problem is once you've tasted full fat you'll never go back to semi-skimmed