Wunderlich 20mm handlebar risers install on 2016 F700GS - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Jeff Coleman
    1 Week Ago
    Hello,

Just installed the Wunderlich 20mm handlebar risers on my 2016 F700GS. Following is some commentary and questions.

Easy to install is a matter of debate. Theoretically looked to be no real big deal. Removed the 4 bolts holding the top bracket plate on and then removed the top bracket plate. Removed the handlebars and laid them on the “tank”. Removed the handle bar brackets, added the risers and put them back on.

Now here is where I had my problem. I could not get the brackets to line up correctly to get the top bracket plate back on unless the brackets were somewhat loose and were able to be swiveled. And then when the alignment was correct, you had to take the top bracket plate off to get a T50 socket on the bolt head to tighten the brackets, But invariably when tightening the brackets, they would turn just enough to mess up the alignment.

So it would seem the best and possibly only way to get the brackets lined up correctly is to install the top plate and four screws. But then there is no access to the top of the T50 bolt to then tighten the bracket. I have a T50 hex key, but the “short” side is still too high to get in there to hold it while trying to tighten the nut at the bottom of bolt. Does anyone know of a special wrench that would be able to access the top of the T50 bolt with the top bracket plate on?? Or perhaps just a better method to get the brackets lined up without the top plate on?

I did finally get them on but not after fidgeting with the alignment of the brackets for hours. I am no genius, but adept enough mechanically to think this should have been a lot easier, but it proved to be a bit frustrating.

Any comments, suggestions are certainly welcomed.

Thanks,

Seedman

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mat
    1 Day Ago
    Yep, exactly the same for me. In the end I tightened them to the correct torque and whacked them into line with a mallet!

Real Name
    Jeff Coleman
    1 Week Ago
    Mat,

Didn't think of using a mallet! Oh well, they are on now and I like the height of the bars.