Ready to try Madstad - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    OK...I've tried other solutions to the wind noise problem I'm 5'10", with 32 inch inseam. Madstad owners say their shield is the greatest. Maybe I need to capitulate and give it a try...last ditch effort before jettisoning an otherwise fine bike. I contacted Madstad and they recommended the 22" screen. So...

I need some OBJECTIVE data on the Madstad before plunging in: How does this screen eliminate wind noise, how have you managed to live with the looks of this screen, and what is the magnitude of the airflow under the screen (do you get bugs under there and all over your dash?)? Why is this screen going to make life better for me if I install it? In short...does it REALLY work, or is this going to be another "nice in theory, not so much in practice" windscreen adventure?

Thanks for your input, guys...I do appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    emlevy
    4 Hours Ago
    They are hideous, but with a 60-day money back guarantee, what's the risk?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    ...Maybe I need to capitulate and give it a try...
    ...You Will be Assimilated. Resistance is Futile.
    The screen reduces noise in two ways as I understand it.
    • First, it brings air in under the screen, as well as over it. Most screens do something like this, but not to the same extent. The result is there's no turbulence behind the screen. There's no back pressure like you get with a lot of other screens where the air goes over your head...and then swirls back because of the low pressure air between you and the barn door screen in front of you.

• Second, in my case, the air is directed to the top of my helmet. If my top vent is open, I get more noise than if it is closed. If it hits you lower, you'll probably get some more noise.

I'm riding with a friend over Stevens Pass on Friday. We should pass through Leavenworth and stop for gas somewhere around 10am. If you want to come on up, you can head up Hwy 97 and meet us there when we get gas. We're headed north after that to go counter-clockwise around the North Cascades Highway. It opened today. Weather should be great on Friday.

FWIW, the first owner of my GT was a retired cardiologist. He didn't post much, but he spent a lot of time researching to find the absolute best mods to make his GT suited for touring. Money seemed to be no object. I'm fortunate because he did all the leg work, installation and spent all the money. I live with the looks fairly easily. Each time I thought I wanted the sporty look of the OEM windshield last summer, I'd spend about an hour or so putting it on...only to take it off as soon as I could after just a ride down the street. After two or three times of doing this, I gave up and was assimilated.

Lastly, the looks can't really be that bad. I have had more compliments in one year of ownership of this bike than I have in the previous 10 years of riding with all the other bikes combined. Complete strangers like it. I do too.

Chris
    Last edited by Daboo; 1 Week Ago at 09:46 PM.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

5. LikesBonnieF, emlevy, Sundog52 liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I'm on my 3rd Madstad and wouldn't be without it. Once I find the "sweet spot" adjustment I don't change it very often. The great thing is that it CAN be adjusted to find that sweet spot. I have some great low traffic county roads in my area that allow me to stop and make adjustments while searching for the sweet spot. For me that is air at the very top of my helmet so I get air flow through the vent on hot days. I find this sweet spot by making small adjustments to height and angle and riding testing those adjustments. I still remember my first Madstad on a F800ST. When first installed, I said out loud, "If I had a dog that ugly, I would shave its a** and make it walk backwards." Once I got it dialed in, it became a thing of beauty.
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

8. LikesDaboo, Sundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    Jason
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Following with interest. I want a 24" one, looks be damned. Sometimes I need to get on the highways and the bike is terrible for me above 50 MPH with the OEM blasting my chest and helmet with concentrated air. The longer I go with the OEM, the less expensive $310 seems...house projects be damned too while I'm in a damning sort of mood
    used 2004 R1150RT -> new 2014 F800GT

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by zulujams View Post
    Following with interest. I want a 24" one, looks be damned. Sometimes I need to get on the highways and the bike is terrible for me above 50 MPH with the OEM blasting my chest and helmet with concentrated air. The longer I go with the OEM, the less expensive $310 seems...house projects be damned too while I'm in a damning sort of mood
    What are we if we don't have priorities?

11. Likeszulujams liked this post

Real Name
    Jason
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    24" barn door ordered - $340
    expected result - epic
    understanding wife - priceless

Flyrider, you'll hopefully get lots more input soon, but feel free to order and we can have an east coast/west coast battle to who can post firsthand thoughts first, you or me! The lead time on their site said 4 business days, and they are in FL, so maybe I'll get it around Memorial Day weekend or just after. I should be able to post my thoughts here by end of May at the latest. Like Emlevy said, they do have a guarantee, and there is always the secondary market if you keep it a while. I haven't seen a used one for our bike online else I would have scooped one up if in decent condition. Happy thinking and researching!

5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by zulujams View Post
    24" barn door ordered - $340
    expected result - epic
    understanding wife - priceless

Flyrider, you'll hopefully get lots more input soon, but feel free to order and we can have an east coast/west coast battle to who can post firsthand thoughts first, you or me! The lead time on their site said 4 business days, and they are in FL, so maybe I'll get it around Memorial Day weekend or just after. I should be able to post my thoughts here by end of May at the latest. Like Emlevy said, they do have a guarantee, and there is always the secondary market if you keep it a while. I haven't seen a used one for our bike online else I would have scooped one up if in decent condition. Happy thinking and researching!
    I'm sending good thoughts your way. I can't remember how much I've spent on windscreens, trying to find the "solution" to the wind blast this bike (and my earlier ST) produced, but I've got several sitting in my garage. A perfect seal with my custom earplugs makes rides much better, but that's hit and miss. I just wish this Madstad thing weren't so damn ugly, but as the old song used to say: "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, make an ugly woman your wife..." (Jimmy Soul)

By the way...I'm 5'10" with 32 inch inseam...Madstad guy told me the 22" screen would be right for me. FWIW.

14. LikesSundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    Frank
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I just cannot get past the extremely ugly design of the Madstad screens (at least mentally). I bought the GT about three years ago, coming from an RT. At first, I really missed the wind protection of the RT, but decided to give it a try. Now, three years later, I hardly notice the wind "blast"anymore. Moreover, most of my rides are not on the highway, so max. speed 80 - 100 km/hr. Have gotten used to it.

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

Real Name
    Geoff
    19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    ... I just wish this Madstad thing weren't so damn ugly, but as the old song used to say: "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, make an ugly woman your wife..." (Jimmy Soul)

By the way...I'm 5'10" with 32 inch inseam...Madstad guy told me the 22" screen would be right for me. FWIW.

I'm 5'10" with 32 inch inseam also. My Madstad 20", Sport SD, Medium Grey works as advertised! Low noise, zero buffeting, fully adjustable. Have you ever looked carefully at a commercial airline on landing. Flaps and slats on the wing are used to control air flow and minimize turbulence (while airspeed is low). The Madstad design essentially does the same thing.
    Sundog 

Real Name
    Jason
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    6'3" with about a 33 inch inseam (slightly long torso eh?) here. I thought I read somewhere that there is a Hall of Wisdom guide to removing the OEM windscreen but I wasn't able to find it by browsing or searching. Is there a trick to it or just pull the screws and remove? I think I'll remove the screen in advance of the MadStad and see how the commuting goes without it for a day or so. Thanks.

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Windshield removal is a sticky thread right above this one. Removal is not difficult, just not as easy as a F800ST.

19. Likeszulujams liked this post