How to improve the F800GS fuel consumption? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

5 Days Ago
    I just took over a 2nd hand 2012 model, and I was inspired by this post: http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...ileage.490471/

This guy hit 320km with 3 bars of fuel left and went over 400km in the end. The other owners have recorded 3.8l/100km at 90km/h avg, or even 3.9 L/100 km at 110-120 km/h.

However I was struggling at 3.3~4l/100km only at 80km/h, anything above 80km/h is well over 4l/100km. The computer recorded an average of 4.7l/100km, as I pumped petrol I calculated even 5l/100km.

I wonder if any experts here can advice how can I push my fuel efficiency up? My previous owner gave me the Giannelli exhaust and I wonder if it has any effect on the consumption. I still have the stock exhaust with me so I wonder if I shall switch it back?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	247729

Please advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I wouldn't worry about what your mileage is. Posts like the one you referenced on ADVRider are made because he got an outstanding result. You didn't see him post about his other much lower results. Post #2 is about what you're getting. Remember that 60 mpg Imperial is about 50 mpg US. Just about what you're getting.

A much more accurate measurement is found on Fuelly where lots of people (156 in this case) have recorded their real world results over many many fillups. Your results are right in the middle of that range.

Name:	2017-05-18 08_50_15-BMW F800GS MPG - Actual MPG from 156 BMW F800GS owners.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	247737

You can try installing the stock muffler. I'd ride a bit more to get a good baseline for your bike prior to changing the muffler. Others here are more technical than I am, but I do know that performance on cars can change by putting on a low restriction exhaust. The entire fuel system is designed for the OEM muffler. NOTE: I would make only one change at a time, if you do this. Only one. If things go bad on you, then you know what was changed and what to change it back to.

I can get widely varying results based on where and how I ride. The poster on ADVRider said he rode mainly on back roads. That helps a lot. There's few stops probably for him, and more continuous riding. When I had a previous bike, it had a MPG readout on it. I'd come home from the gas station five miles away and it would read about 68 mpg. I live down a hill. The next morning on the way to work, the simple tenth of a mile up the hill would lower it drastically. I had about 5 stops on my way to the freeway. The MPG would be down to mid-50s. Only after I rode about 10 miles would the MPG readout creep up. It took that long to get over the 5 stops and that short hill. By the time I got to work 30 miles away, the MPG readout would be in the 65-68 MPG range.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Lots of us want exceptional mpg. Go slower, don't load the bike with gear that blocks the wind and makes drag. That means no tank panniers and saddle bags.
    Go up one tooth on the front sprocket.
    Or, Go to Colorado and get 70 mpg on 85 ron gas. My ST did that there.
    Riding on nice level roads, as Daboo notes with no winds to fight can help too.
    Don't worry about what the readout says during operation. Mine used to register 99+mpg downhill with a tail wind.
    Ride until you refill when the reserve light goes on and calculate miles/fuel used.
    Also, be consistent as to how much fuel you put in the tank. I filled mine to the brim every time. That's right all the way to the top. I do the same with my G650GS, same kind of side of bike filler.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

5 Days Ago
    Thanks for the prompt and detailed response! I will collect more data on this muffler before I switch over and compare then!

5 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I wouldn't worry about what your mileage is. Posts like the one you referenced on ADVRider are made because he got an outstanding result. You didn't see him post about his other much lower results. Post #2 is about what you're getting. Remember that 60 mpg Imperial is about 50 mpg US. Just about what you're getting.

A much more accurate measurement is found on Fuelly where lots of people (156 in this case) have recorded their real world results over many many fillups. Your results are right in the middle of that range.

Name:	2017-05-18 08_50_15-BMW F800GS MPG - Actual MPG from 156 BMW F800GS owners.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	247737

You can try installing the stock muffler. I'd ride a bit more to get a good baseline for your bike prior to changing the muffler. Others here are more technical than I am, but I do know that performance on cars can change by putting on a low restriction exhaust. The entire fuel system is designed for the OEM muffler. NOTE: I would make only one change at a time, if you do this. Only one. If things go bad on you, then you know what was changed and what to change it back to.

I can get widely varying results based on where and how I ride. The poster on ADVRider said he rode mainly on back roads. That helps a lot. There's few stops probably for him, and more continuous riding. When I had a previous bike, it had a MPG readout on it. I'd come home from the gas station five miles away and it would read about 68 mpg. I live down a hill. The next morning on the way to work, the simple tenth of a mile up the hill would lower it drastically. I had about 5 stops on my way to the freeway. The MPG would be down to mid-50s. Only after I rode about 10 miles would the MPG readout creep up. It took that long to get over the 5 stops and that short hill. By the time I got to work 30 miles away, the MPG readout would be in the 65-68 MPG range.

Chris

Have you done anything on engine tweaking, valve tweaking? Can the F800GS computer be access or logged?

Real Name
    Frank
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Anything between 4 and 5 l/100 km is a very decent fuel consumption for a F800GS. My son has a F800GSA and manages to get 4.6 - 4.8 l/100 km.
    Don't be fooled by consumption numbers less than 4 l/100 km. This is very exceptional for a F800 engine, and can only be achieved by long flat sections at 70 - 80 km/h in the highest gear. Not very much fun to ride.

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

Real Name
    Fred 2 L
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Hi
    I changed my F 800 GT for a F 800 GS-A

The GT was a real camel.
    We drove 3800 Km in the Alps , 2 Up and 40 Kg of luggage - a lot of montagnes roads - for a final milage of 3.8 L / 100 Km (really !)
    As soon of the GT was driven away from the city traffic, the milage would get better and better

On the other hand, the GS-A stays below 5 L / 100 Km but I was never able to go below 4.5 L / 100 Km

We will drive in Norway in August.
    Norwegian roads are good for a soft and calm riding. will try to improve the milage there !
    Fred de Montpel'
    F 800 GS Adventure
    http://fredetisabelle.free.fr