Helmet question - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    C.J.
    6 Hours Ago
    I am in the market for a new lid. I currently use an HJC Sy-Max that I've had for 3 1/2- 4 yrs. and the shell is well over 5 yrs. old. I really like the integrated sun shield and the modular design. I'm considering the new Sy-Max III and the RPHA Max, does anyone have any experience with either (or better yet, both) of these?

CJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    emlevy
    2 Hours Ago
    I have no experience with either, but you may want to also consider the Schuberth C3 Pro. It has the features you like, plus it's very quiet and is built to a high standard. About $450 from eBay resellers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost
    1998 K1200RS | 2006 Monster 620 | 2013 F800GT | 2014 CB1100 DLX

4. LikesRunmyownlife liked this post

Real Name
    C.J.
    6 Hours Ago
    Actually I've wanted a Schuberth for years. It seems like the BMW thing to do, but I've never found one that fit my head shape.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I highly ...highly...recommend going to the helmet reviews at webBikeWorld.com. They'll give you details like what shape head the helmet is made for. Weight. Noise level. Ventilation.

There's other things that I found helpful. For instance, not all sun visors work the same way. Some are either full up, or full down. My Shoei has a visor that you can position anywhere. Handy if the sun is coming down and you want just the top inch of your vision blocked and not the entire amount.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Helmets are a fickle thing. I've had Shoei that did it's job in a get off and broke. Like wise with a Scorpion. I have a Scorpion that I got for 88 bucks on sale. Very comfortable but size varies with the series.
    What fits you and is comfortable is important because that is the helmet you will wear.
    Most of them have either a DOT or country specific qualification. There are those that will call for the most expensive product on the market.
    Currently I'm trying a BILT helmet that came with a package of riding suit and helmet and gloves. Goodness knows what the next get off will report. The helmet is kinda nifty and comfortable.
    I like the overhanging shade visor in the morning sun. If you don't ride at sun rise or sun set, it's less of an issue.

Real Name
    Francisco
    1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Actually I've wanted a Schuberth for years. It seems like the BMW thing to do, but I've never found one that fit my head shape.
    I have a Schuberth-shaped noggin, and while I've had helmets from other manufacturers as well, Schuberths have always fit me best. I currently have an S2, and it's great - full face, internal sun visor and decent ventilation. Pretty quiet, too.

That said - your comment is critical. If a helmet doesn't fit you properly, then bells, whistles and just about all else become irrelevant. Hopefully you have a retailer not too far away that's well stocked with a variety of brands so you can try everything on.

For general info, Revzilla does a good job of reviewing helmets. Sales-pitchy to be sure, but they cover tons of models and at least they're consistent in how they talk about them.

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Simon Humphreys
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800S
    I am in the market for a new lid. I currently use an HJC Sy-Max that I've had for 3 1/2- 4 yrs. and the shell is well over 5 yrs. old. I really like the integrated sun shield and the modular design. I'm considering the new Sy-Max III and the RPHA Max, does anyone have any experience with either (or better yet, both) of these?

CJ
    I was always a Shoei fan but got fed up with paying through the nose. I now have a Shark Vision R which is great. Integral sun visor (only up or down but I've never had need for more).

Collesano, Italy guidoveloce is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Guido
    8 Hours Ago
    my helmet par excellence is the Arai RX7: round head shape, vented very well, not quiet, as a sporty helmet must be, you must listen the engine quite well, no sun shield (I prefer the clear visor, but if you need you can mount a smoke tinted visor or a transition pinlock), it's perfect even if you turn your head at 250 kmh... what you want more? it a simple helmet but it works very well. it's not chap, but if you find the RX7GP, the previous version now replaced by the RX7V, you can get it with a good discount.
    I used also a Schuberth SR1, great helmet, but the Arai is better.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

Real Name
    Bob
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I have a HJC head, unlike the expensive BMW helmets, I like the Sy-Max III, going for it to replace my current HJC. Quality helmet and it fits my head like a glove, that's the key!! Money does buy you a better helmet, but if it doesn't fit your head it is worthless.

13. Likesnotacop liked this post
    Collesano, Italy guidoveloce is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Guido
    8 Hours Ago
    bob is right, a helmet must fit like a glove, the comfort is the most important thing to ride safe. the best helmet is the one you feel "your".
    ... but if I could, I would spend happily 2,000 € for the full carbon version of the RX7 instead of the 700 € of the multi-fiber version. my head is the most important thing that I own.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

Real Name
    Matt
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I wear shoei and love them. They are great helmets to wear
    2007 BMW F800S
    Lots of goodies 

Real Name
    C.J.
    6 Hours Ago
    Thanks for all the comments and help folks.
    I finally got to try both helmets I'd narrowed it down to and I just ordered a large RPHA-MAX.

17. LikesTelemarkTumalo liked this post

Real Name
    Jason
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Let us know what you think of it CJ. I'm late to the post. I moved from an HJC IS-16 to the RPHA ST which gave me a little more room with a Scala Rider mic in front of my face. Like you, I love the internal sun visor, and I am fine with it being up or down with no positions in between. My biggest gripe with the RPHA is the massive seam they ran across the middle of the forehead pad. I haven't found it to be uncomfortable, but it leaves an indent on my forehead for hours, even if I only ride 20 min to work. I try not to be too vain, but I'm in an office environment and want to be presentable. It seemed ok when I first got it through Revzilla, and I went for the larger size since I was right on the edge between two sizes. I wear a doo rag now which helps a lot but is one more thing to do when suiting up. I will shop other brands when ready for a new lid.
    used 2004 R1150RT -> new 2014 F800GT

Real Name
    Jurgen
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Helmets are a very personal thing. I only used to wear Shoei or AGV. I could never get an Arai to fit me well, (no square head jokes please!).

I had been overseas for eight years and away from 'proper' motorcycling, although I rode a step-through everyday. I came back, bought a new F800R and a Shark s900 lid. Funny thing about this helmet, I don't even think about it. I just wear it. It's relatively light, quiet with earplugs and comfortable.
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

Real Name
    C.J.
    6 Hours Ago
    Well I got the RPHA-MAX. Got a white one because I guess the one with the graphics in large are all gone. No sweat there, I've used white helmets for a while.
    I've only been riding with it for a few days but my first impressions are great. The RPHA is noticeably lighter than my old Sy-Max, has more room around my ears, seems to fit my head very well, I had to form the foam in the Sy-Max a little. The biggest plus is noise, this helmet is by far the quietest flip up I've ever worn. Ventilation seems good, the Sy-Max had great ventilation but all the air came in around the bottom where the chin guard and neck roll on the RPHA stop 99% of this.
    I may have to swap the cheek pads for thinner ones but so far I love this thing.

CJ

Real Name
    Frank
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I'm shopping for a new helmet myself. Also have now the Sy-Max and the RPHA-MAX is high on my list. Thanks for the review!

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

Real Name
    C.J.
    6 Hours Ago
    Update on my review of the RPHA-MAX.
    I rode in the rain today and had a fogging issue with this new helmet. I'm going to try an anti-fog on the inside of the shield and I'm going to experiment removing the breath guard and/or the chin curtain as I am not accustomed to having either of those. If none of those of those work I guess I'll also try the pin-lock shield that came with it, maybe it's needed and that's why they give it to us. I've never used one of those either.
    Plenty of rainy weather here this time of year so I'll let you all know how it goes.

CJ

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The Pin-lock shield will work great. On the visors I've had, there's an eccentric pin the Pin-lock fits into. You may have to turn this to get it to fit snug on the inside of the visor. If it isn't snug and fitting well, you'll get water in between the visor and Pin-lock. Then it is like looking through a bathroom window. Otherwise, it should work perfectly. I would not hesitate to use it.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Mattias
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    Pinlock is the best helmet invention ever. NO fogging what so ever no mather the weather.

Real Name
    Jason
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'm also thrilled with Pinlock. I found that I needed to re-install and tighten the screws a bit this season as I was getting a little fogging. Note: if your helmet has an internal sun visor, that will likely fog up. I haven't tried putting fog-x on that but might one of these days.

Real Name
    C.J.
    6 Hours Ago
    Interesting, I've never used a pin lock shield so for some reason I was a little hesitant. I think in my mind I was comparing it to the 'tear-of's' I used to use and couldn't see using that on the street.
    Well it seems that it's unanimous here that I should give it a shot, thanks.

CJ

Real Name
    Francisco
    1 Day Ago
    Interesting, I've never used a pin lock shield so for some reason I was a little hesitant. I think in my mind I was comparing it to the 'tear-of's' I used to use and couldn't see using that on the street.
    Well it seems that it's unanimous here that I should give it a shot, thanks.

CJ
    They're incredible. I'm not sure I'd even consider buying a helmet that didn't include them from the factory, even knowing they're an easy retrofit.

Real Name
    C.J.
    6 Hours Ago
    Well thank you all for your advise regarding the pin lock. I fitted it a couple days ago and no fogging so far. I suppose tomorrows ride to work will be a final test. So far no complaints.
    On another note, I still highly recommend the RPHA-MAX helmet.

Real Name
    John Albone
    1 Day Ago
    Shoei GT air with Pin Lock .I ride all year round ,fantastic helmet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 26617 124.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	256089

30. Likesdanham liked this post

Real Name
    Dan H
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    I love my Pinlock (Shoei GT Air), but one word of caution. OK, two. 1) they scratch really easily, so do NOT wipe them until/unless you are ready to remove the shield and give it a proper wet, soapy cleaning with no rubbing. 2) In heavy rain, close your chin vent. If water drops spray onto the inside of the Pinlock, you will be unable to see and per #1 can't wipe them off.

That said, I'd never ride without a Pinlock again.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S & SR10, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

Real Name
    C.J.
    6 Hours Ago
    Ok so after my wet pre-dawn ride to work today, I can say this. No fog - great, little halos/reflections around points of light - not so good. I guess that's the price to pay for not fogging.

CJ

Real Name
    Jason
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Hi CJ. How's the forehead pad on the RPHA-MAX? Does it have a large seam across the middle of it like the RPHA-ST? The seam I have feels like a massive, raised scar, and if I carry my helmet upside down the seam can be seen from space.