Risers and seating position - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

18 Hours Ago
    Hello everyone. Shortly after I passed 1000 miles on my F800 GT I came down with some serious neck issues that aren't going away anytime soon. I need to sit more upright and hyper extend my neck less. I've heard about risers but would be very grateful for any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Norman
    21 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I have a 2008 F800 ST. I have ridden it over 8 years without a riser. As I age, I was getting neck and shoulder aches on a one hour commute so this year I gave in to getting Heli Bar risers. I now sit up like straighter, and feel like a cop. But much more comfortable. Be aware, this changes the ergos on the bike and you may notice less wind protection now that your head is up above your present windscreen.
    You won't need to buy an extension for the brake cable, but you will need to reroute everything! The instructions are excellent, but be prepared to spend time. They are pricey, but very well made.
    If you search this site, you will find other rider's experience with risers.

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I went with the Verholen risers and it made the difference between not riding and riding. A brake line extension is required on the GT and is included in the kit. I also have a Madstad adjustable windshield so the more upright riding position is not a problem. As my grandpappy always said "Gettin' old ain't for sissies"
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Alex
    1 Day Ago
    I had the same issue but fixed it with bar risers and peg lowering kit... Since I changed my bike and now parting out those accessories... If you're interested I invite you to navigate to the BMW Quebec/Canada made forum, it is in French but I'm pretty sure that you will figure out what it means... PM me if you have any questions.

http://forum.bmw-club-quebec.org

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I have about the same setup as others. MV Verholen risers, Madstad windshield, and lowered pegs. I sit only slightly forward. Not much at all. But it is a very comfortable position for me that I can maintain all day long.

I wouldn't overlook other things too. For instance, are you using a heavy helmet? There is a difference. webBikeWorld.com has the best helmet reviews and one of the things they measure is helmet weight.

Another aspect too, is to prepare your body. I'm on a road trip of about 3500 miles right now. I started exercising at least a month in preparation for this. It has made an incredible difference. We just finished a day of almost 500 miles in 80-90+ heat and my riding partner is bushed. I'm not. I credit that to the physical side of the preparation I made. So look at the bike for changes...but look at yourself too. You'll probably need to make changes in both.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

8. LikesGreggo, danham, Sundog52, Futterman liked this post

Real Name
    Ken Wright
    16 Hours Ago
    Looking at the Verholen risers, they seem to be just what I want, but is it necessary to get the whole approx $400 set up and then still pay BMW to fit and reset everything? Add the cost of shipping and importing these risers to the UK I think it would become prohibitively expensive! (Local BMW labour costs I'm told are around £130/hour.... (I'll have to check if this information is correct.)

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Some members of this forum installed the kit and I'm sure they'll chime in. My kit came with good instructions but I chose to let my local dealer do the install.
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The previous owner installed the MV Verholen risers on my GT. I've described them as machined works of art.

If I was to do it myself, I think I'd look at the Rox risers. If vibration is a concern, Rox makes risers that are an "anti-vibration" design. I suspect one of them will fit the GT.

Installing risers is as simple as unbolting a couple bolts, lifting the handlebars up and slipping the riser in place. As for the brake line, I think you'll find it isn't that hard to do. I've seen other threads on how it is done.

Chris

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I put Rox riser on my ST and didn't have to do anything to the cables. They were at the limit of their extension though. Big improvement.

13. ThanksSundog52 thanked for this post

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Has anyone tried the Helibars for the ST on a GT? I like the fact that at least on the ST, there is no brake line extension and having used Heli Bars before they make a nice product. Plus I like the option with the RAM mount built in and an accessory plug. That looks nice. I called them up, and to their knowledge no one had tried it on a GT.

https://www.helibars.com/products/He...800ST/581.html

Real Name
    Ken Wright
    16 Hours Ago
    Thanks all, Roxy for me then!

18 Hours Ago
    Apparently Heli doesn't make a riser for the GT.

18 Hours Ago
    I sent them a message and their position is the riser hasn't been tested for the GT so their not saying it will work.

18 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    I put Rox riser on my ST and didn't have to do anything to the cables. They were at the limit of their extension though. Big improvement.
    GT requires new cables. I'd like to avoid that.

18 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWilly View Post
    I went with the Verholen risers and it made the difference between not riding and riding. A brake line extension is required on the GT and is included in the kit. I also have a Madstad adjustable windshield so the more upright riding position is not a problem. As my grandpappy always said "Gettin' old ain't for sissies"
    Looks like the Verholen risers are the best bet. Thanks!

18 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I have about the same setup as others. MV Verholen risers, Madstad windshield, and lowered pegs. I sit only slightly forward. Not much at all. But it is a very comfortable position for me that I can maintain all day long.

I wouldn't overlook other things too. For instance, are you using a heavy helmet? There is a difference. webBikeWorld.com has the best helmet reviews and one of the things they measure is helmet weight.

Another aspect too, is to prepare your body. I'm on a road trip of about 3500 miles right now. I started exercising at least a month in preparation for this. It has made an incredible difference. We just finished a day of almost 500 miles in 80-90+ heat and my riding partner is bushed. I'm not. I credit that to the physical side of the preparation I made. So look at the bike for changes...but look at yourself too. You'll probably need to make changes in both.

Chris
    Not sure. What is MV riser? And also, do you notice any change in how the bike steers?

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    MV Verholen is the full name for the company that manufacturers the risers. http://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/The+New...BMW+F800GT.htm

Chris

18 Hours Ago
    Okay thanks. Do you notice any difference in the steering?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I don't know what it was like before. I bought the GT from a retired cardiologist who had done his research to get the best mods on the bike for touring. Then for whatever reason, he never took it touring. His loss, my gain. I really appreciate what he did.

I just got back from a trip to Utah that was almost 4000 miles long. I have no issues with the steering.

Chris

18 Hours Ago
    Great thanks!