BMW F800 Forum banner

Online Service Manual - its out there

19K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  CycleRob 
#1 ·
Apologies in advance if you paid retail for this - but a growing & poorly kept secret amongst my techno bike peers (is there such a thing as a bike-tech-geek?) is an available copy of this excellent resource on the web. If you can google and know bit-torrents, look for RepROM_K7.dmg. They told me to not let the DMG file suffix worry you - it will run on XP as well as apple if you use 7zip. Its 4th edition, dated 05/2009, and is good for all F800S, ST, R models and GS too. Seen it work on their PC and its very thorough.
Listening to BBC streaming live - cricket is depressing me tonight. Pete

#5 ·
on a similar but reverse line - I have the factory cd and am trying to copy it to my computer HD to use in the shop area. It is either too large to easily be copied by XP or there is some copy protection. I created a dvd copy sucessfully but when I as XP to copy it simply goes into a 'preparing to copy' dialog box for a long time. I could copy single folders at a time but there are literally thousands of them.

Any ideas, is a dvd ripping program in order?

#10 ·
Agree with Rob. The way copyright laws stand right now, and especially in light of the Pirate Bay loss a few months back, publishing or advocating a torrent link could put our website in jeopardy (I only use the "our" in the kindest manner as I feel we all are responsible for the content of this site).

I recently purchased a copy of the manual online - yes paid - but at a heavily reduced price as it was the 02/06 manual (which closely matches my bike's age.)

In the first hour of looking through the manual I learned many things - mainly the names of things I used to call thingymabobs and doohickeys.

But please remember that while the internet is a massively fabulous way of sharing information, sometimes that sharing can run afoul of the different laws of different countries. So if you really want to obtain a copy of this manual it is readily available. Just be careful of how you tell others how or where you found it. Posting on here is a public forum and can have ramifications to others.

Reactions: Rob
#14 ·
Folks, I withheld torrent sites in my original thread for the exact reason laid out by Rob, so lets continue to leave the specifics out. If the filename RepROM_K7x.dmg does not help you, then a visit to your local uni student will provide all the IT consulting you need ! To answer other Q's - its prob a CD. No moving pictures, but very detailed schematics and step by steps for anything you could hope to do.

#15 · (Edited)
To answer other Q's - its prob a CD. No moving pictures, but very detailed schematics and step by steps for anything you could hope to do.
Actually, it's a DMG file which is a compressed Mac file image. There are utilities (http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/dmgx.html) to convert it to an ISO image, which is a format that is already mastered and ready to burn to DVD. The resulting image file is 1.8 GB, which means it will need to be burned to a DVD (CDs are about 680 MB, max).

I also spent a bit of time poking at it, and it's somebody's homegrown programming job. The data files all seem to be compressed using a utility called deflate (from a quick scan - haven't tested this). So I am pretty sure there are ways to get at the data, for those of us who don't use Windows, or don't want to drag a laptop out to the garage (or don't have one to drag). I'm really busy at the moment, but this is going on the burner for when I have some free time (probably in a few months). I don't think there's anything really sophisticated happening there at all.

#20 ·
+1. Revenue from my copyrighted work helped pay for my F800.

I don't want to be a jerk about this, but theft is theft is theft and while it may seem "OK" to steal from big, bad, fat-cat BMW, there are lots of blameless little folks who work for them (and other big companies) whose livelihood can be threatened.

-dan

#23 ·
+1. Revenue from my copyrighted work helped pay for my F800.

I don't want to be a jerk about this, but theft is theft is theft and while it may seem "OK" to steal from big, bad, fat-cat BMW, there are lots of blameless little folks who work for them (and other big companies) whose livelihood can be threatened.

-dan
It is hard to argue against such "truths".

BUT leaving a BMW garage with my car, reading my bill and learning that they charged me USD 280 an hour for an oil/filter change + USD 45 per liter for the 6 liters of recommended Castrol oil, then I start wondering who the bad guys are?? (I won't do it again! (the garage oil/filter change, that is!)).

#24 ·
Brian:

You have every right to be angry about being ripped off like that. Where we may part company is IF you also believe it entitles you to steal the shop manual on the way out the door [g].

-dan

#29 ·
We shouldn't be angry about pricing, we could have asked up front. We SHOULD have been given a very complete manual if BMW had one (they do, we're talking about it), but I disagree with the comparison of stealing the shop manual going out the door. More correctly, you are doing something along the line of photo-copying one of your acquaintances manuals and not one that is used for profit as a reason for existence (BMW produces it for reasons other than profit).

I would be more inclined to agree it is completely wrong and unjustified if you copied the manual and then charged for services that were performed from the knowledge gained/referenced, but can't agree that it is wrong to copy the manual for servicing the product you paid huge cash for and still pay residuals in the way of svc visits and future farkels and bikes, especially as I could ask about any procedure I want to perform in this forum and have people teach me or reiterate what is in the manual. Seems the access to knowledge is still there and the semantics of downloading a manual vs asking someone else (neither of which give BMW $$ and both of which accomplish the goal for me).

If anything, the free manual would encourage us to work on the bike and help us understand the bike better, making us a stronger BWM branded rider/fan. I could see a strong argument on behalf of BMW endorsing the distribution for free, but that may be better saved for a letter to BMW.

#25 ·
Many thanks for this. I just bought a repair CD from eBay and it turned out to be 1st Edition, 02/2006 arghhh. So it didn't have the F650GS nor did it have my model/year of ST. Hopefully this one does and I don't feel so bad wasting the money on the eBay auction.

Cheers

#30 ·
I think it's time to wake up and smell the mocha.

This is the modern world and in it information flows freely whether you like it or not. There is no regulating it, it's like censorship, there is none any more and regardless of what your views as a corporate, small company or individual are, there's nothing you can do about it.

Personally I think BMW should have had it available on their crap owners forum right off the bat, kinda like the Hall of Wisdom is available on this forum. It was always going to be free information, I don't believe BMW couldn't foresee that so why try pissing against the wind? On the other hand maybe they are that out of touch - they thought I'd be content with one friggin' screwdriver as a toolkit.

I say take the information as you would a Pat H, How To post. That being, freely with thanks and no shame.

#33 ·
I have the 702MB CDR and it's the BMW RepRom 1st edition 02/2006. Took over 40 minutes to copy it to a 250GB (fast!) SATA HDD and it runs from there now. There's over 22,000 files!! It covers the 4 models for export and USA versions of the F800S and F800ST. Too bad we can't just truncate the 1 part we need . . . it'd be a smaller file.

Like all the other BMW manuals I have seen, it is intended for BMW mechanics, in that it does not spoon feed you or hold your hand. Many important details and procedures are assumed to be routines already well known. Still, the pictorial drawings provided are high quality and very helpful in displaying the hidden internal parts, removing the mystery of how things go together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.