F800 Riders Satisfaction Survey - Fall 2009 (F650GS, F800GS) - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

View Poll Results: All things considered, are you happy with your F800?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm very happy with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

105 75.00%
  • I'm happy with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

29 20.71%
  • I'm neutral with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

3 2.14%
  • I'm displeased with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

2 1.43%
  • I'm very displeased with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

1 0.71%
+ Reply to Thread

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    07-08-13
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Once per year, we here in F800 Rider HQ like to perform a survey of F800 Riders that asks a simple question:

All things considered, are you happy with your F800?

In our last survey, F800 Riders voted overwhelmingly that they were either 'Happy' or 'Very Happy' with their motorcycle. It wrapped up about a year ago, so now is about time to start this year's survey.

Keep in mind that this poll is for overall satisfaction - taking into consideration motorcycle performance, enjoyability, reliability, economics and dealer experience. Folks with more than one F800 only get to vote once as your only one owner, and this survey will close at the end of October.

This poll is open to ALL users, registered or not, but I ask that please, only folks that actually own BMW F800 motorcycles (F650GS & F800GS in this survey) vote in this survey.

Feel free to expound on your answer publicly via responding to this thread. Answers to the poll are confidential.

** ADDITIONALLY **

In addition to registering your vote here, please take a few minutes and complete the complete Satisfaction Survey (click here to go to it) so we can further quantify the data. We've expanded and standardized the survey this year to better understand what F800 Riders like and dislike about their motorcycle. We're hoping to get enough entries this year to make the data statistically significant.
    Forum Owner Emeritus

Rob Werksman - Owner, Motorcycle Insight, LLC
    F800 Depot | S1000RR Depot | Adventure Motorcycle Depot | Twalcom USA
    North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, Wild@Heart, Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Fred
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    I'll add "very" to my happy vote once the stalling is resolved.

Fred

Gizmo is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Sharon
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '59 R26
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I have an '09 F650GS with 2908 miles since December of 2008. I've take a couple of longish rides on it, a 415 mile day ride and a 500 mile run over the week-end. I ride the bike to work a lot and prefer the GS to my R1200RT for running around town. I really like the GS for running up the canyon, but I can't say I like it "better" than my RT, they are just different.

My main complaint about this bike is that I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position. I have the low seat. I find the seat is very uncomfortable for a long ride, even with an Alaska Sheepskin butt pad. My other issue is the handlebars. I find the wide, low, flat bars cause me to have to reach too far. I recently tried rolling the bars back a little, but I think I need a bar with slightly more rise and back bend, and perhaps narrower. I also think that the bike is sprung too heavy for my weight (riding weight for me in gear is about 130#).

So far, I have no complaints regarding the engine, or transmission. I think the throttle is a bit too "quick," but I think I am becoming accustomed to it. Fuel consumption has been running about 60 mpg, and the range is adequate for any riding I might want to do around Utah, unless I become an avid adventure tourer, which is not likely.

Overall, I think the GS a fun bike.
    Sharon

07 R1200RT, 59 R26 and 12 Yamaha Super Tenere 

Real Name
    Mark
    08-07-12
    Overall I am happy that I have the opportunity to ride a motorcycle. I have alway like the GS's and the 800 provided me with an opportunity to afford to buy one- or else you be reading this thread on the Yaris website. Performance, Efficiency, and living in the mountain were all consideration when deciding on the bike. Has it been what I have expected "No" not at all. I have had engine problems, recalls, stall outs, close calls and been put into some very dangerous situations as a novice motorcylist. Thank you God for keeping me safe! No offense to anyone. Now do I want to get rid of the bike- heck no! It in my blood now! Almost Heaven- WV, ride it hard and put it away wet.

Real Name
    Brendan
    07-02-14
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I would consider myself "very happy" if my dealer would just meet my expectations.

I've never been offered a loaner bike.

They don't know what is supposed to be done at which service. (At 12k they did a 6k w/ brake fluid - that is all)

They do not have standardized pricing. I'm always told "its about xx dollars" to which I reply "well what does it include" and they tell me "I'm not sure". Hard to justify the price when you don't know what you're doing, isn't it?

Unable (and halfway unwilling) to fix my stalling issues.
    Brendan 

Real Name
    Pete
    10-06-13
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I'll add "very" to my happy vote once the stalling is resolved.

Fred
    Exact same deal here. -pete

Real Name
    Michael Squire
    05-16-14
    Motorcycle
    '08 F650GS (Single)
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    I voted neutral because My wifes 658 is great but I have an engine knock below 3500 rpm when the strain comes on ( starting in 1st or lugging it/roll on in 2nd/3rd). Dealer won't do anything about it and tells me its normal for the F8 but how come mine is the only one doing it? I have listen to about 5 now and other owners have listened to mine who have all commented "do you hear that engine noise?" To me the dealer don't want to service it...I had other issues with the F8 that I had to fix myself that were safety issues. If I had to keep only one bike I would choose my GSA and sell the F8. Probably my last BMW!!!

Real Name
    Scott
    12-03-11
    I voted "Happy" because I'm concerned about the rear wheel bearing issue. I also wish it had adjustable suspension for the amount of money I paid for it. It could also use a lower 1st gear for off-roading and a taller 6th for better freeway cruising.

Otherwise, I absolutely love this bike. Are there things I would change? Sure, but I've never had a bike that there weren't things I'd change.
    '09 F800GS Grey
    '96 XR400R Plated 

06-02-14
    After 7700+ miles and a little over one year my F800GS is better than I ever thought it could be. Changed the front sprocket to 15 tooth for a lower granny gear, great engine, riding position and well balanced. I get between 53 and 60 mpg, easily exceed 100 mph and keep up in the corners. This bike likes to run and is great on dirt. I think I have a winner.

Real Name
    Bayne Morison
    12-04-13
    I may as well be a ghost when I walk into the dealer. I think I'd have to threaten to shoot someone to get anything resembling service from them.

But I love the bike!!

Real Name
    Ken
    05-31-12
    I said "Happy" I love the bike, but "Very Happy" would mean, Lower first gear, higher 6th gear, Better windscreen - something adjustable like the 1200GS, better seat, with a split setup like the 1200GSA, better skid plate. I think BMW should make a GSA version of the F800GS with the aforementioned upgrades, plus the ESA, then it would be a "VERY HAPPY" for me!
    I'm Luvin it
    BMW F800GS 

Real Name
    Ken
    05-31-12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I have an '09 F650GS with 2908 miles since December of 2008. I've take a couple of longish rides on it, a 415 mile day ride and a 500 mile run over the week-end. I ride the bike to work a lot and prefer the GS to my R1200RT for running around town. I really like the GS for running up the canyon, but I can't say I like it "better" than my RT, they are just different.

My main complaint about this bike is that I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position. I have the low seat. I find the seat is very uncomfortable for a long ride, even with an Alaska Sheepskin butt pad. My other issue is the handlebars. I find the wide, low, flat bars cause me to have to reach too far. I recently tried rolling the bars back a little, but I think I need a bar with slightly more rise and back bend, and perhaps narrower. I also think that the bike is sprung too heavy for my weight (riding weight for me in gear is about 130#).

So far, I have no complaints regarding the engine, or transmission. I think the throttle is a bit too "quick," but I think I am becoming accustomed to it. Fuel consumption has been running about 60 mpg, and the range is adequate for any riding I might want to do around Utah, unless I become an avid adventure tourer, which is not likely.

Overall, I think the GS a fun bike.
    Sharon I added the 20 mm Touratech risers to my 800, it made a huge difference, well worth the $40 and easy to install.

Ken
    I'm Luvin it
    BMW F800GS 

Real Name
    Gio
    05-27-14
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I voted very happy with my 650. If I would have answered this question a few weeks ago , I would have said just happy. What changed? I took it offroad (I have the regular seat and suspension). I put on some TKC80 tires and everything changed from there. The look , the possibilities, the onroad feeling and of course the offroad performance. Before ,all I had was a BMW , now I have a GS. That's what made it for me.

Real Name
    SlapDrumMan
    12-30-09
    I voted Very Happy. But I think I'll do the 15T front. Is stock 16T?
    Is there room with the stock chain and ajustment to do 14T?
    Thanks
    2009 F800GS - Ylw/Blk, 15T, SW Crash Bars, 550 GPS
    2009 KLX 250S (various mods)
    2006 Z400 ATV 

Real Name
    Sergio
    07-19-12
    I love it! f800gs 09 model

Real Name
    Dan Oaks
    05-22-14
    Quote Originally Posted by BrENDURO View Post
    I would consider myself "very happy" if my dealer would just meet my expectations.

I've never been offered a loaner bike.

They don't know what is supposed to be done at which service. (At 12k they did a 6k w/ brake fluid - that is all)

They do not have standardized pricing. I'm always told "its about xx dollars" to which I reply "well what does it include" and they tell me "I'm not sure". Hard to justify the price when you don't know what you're doing, isn't it?

Unable (and halfway unwilling) to fix my stalling issues.
    I ordered and installed the front sproket from the F800GS twin and the stalling went away. Still get the same 60mpg, but my starts and acceleration is much better. Now that I think about it, I've done the same with every 650 dual sportvbike I've owned with the same results. They gear them all too steep in my opinion.

Real Name
    SlapDrumMan
    12-30-09
    I ordered and installed the front sproket from the F800GS twin and the stalling went away.
    Bierdo,
    Did you go with the 15T or 14T on the front?
    Also where did you buy (online?) the front sprocket?
    Thanks,
    2009 F800GS - Ylw/Blk, 15T, SW Crash Bars, 550 GPS
    2009 KLX 250S (various mods)
    2006 Z400 ATV 

Real Name
    Dan Oaks
    05-22-14
    Didn't have time to research it, didn't count the teeth, just plopped down a million dollars and had the dealer order the front sprocket for a F800GS, put it on, and it worked. That was right after I ordered a Corbin seat to stop the smoke coming out of my ass. I really believe the Japanese and Germans are using their seat designs to get back with us old farts for WWII.

09-13-11
    Ciao sono Francesco ho comprato la f 800 gs GIALLA fine luglio.....mi tovo molto bene ed Ŕ veramente eccezzzziiiiionale.
    Ci si risente presto.

Real Name
    Steve Koelewyn
    11-09-09
    Happy Overall - Today was painful
    I have clocked up 37000k on my F658GS
    Today I got the chain & sprockets changed - chain was ready to snap already - had been waiting about two weeks for sprocket to arrive from Germany - non were in stock in Aus. Worn chain caused bike to surge constantly and became very uncomfortable to ride so I would recommend changing the chain around 30000k - it goes off quickly when it decides to go.
    Also changed front disk - was badly warped - single disk on the front is probably not enough for this bike - changed disk also meant that i needed yet another set of pads - fourth set of pads.

The bike has had a few issues to date - had a new head gasket with the 30000k service - it was leaking oil
    Rear wheel bearer also replaced at 30000k.

A developing concern I have is that the bike stalls when the ambient temprature rises above 37 degrees Celsius - once the temperature drops down again the bike has no problem - on really hot days i get the stalling happening again - wierd.

Tyres - originally I had Battlewings - they did 17000k - replaced with Tourance rear & Tourance EXP front - these tyres handle a lot better than the Battlewings and are still going at 37000k - might start to think about replacements after the 40000k service.

The 658 is a good allrounder but parts are costing a mint and no aftermarket stuff seems to be available yet. the 658 is not to bad for two up riding
    Offroad riding is fun and bike handles well in the dirt and mud
    I find the bike a bit low for me but when I bought the bike the F800GS hadn't been released yet.

I do work with the bike and I do ride it in a spirited manner, rain hail or shine, so it gets a good workout - my bike probably is a good indicator that the bike is generally durable even though the wearing parts do come at a price so it is not the cheapest mode of transport.

I would recommend this bike to others - overall it has been good to me and keeps the smile on my face when i get to go riding.

22. Thanks snowprick thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Geoff
    05-19-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
    I may as well be a ghost when I walk into the dealer. I think I'd have to threaten to shoot someone to get anything resembling service from them.

But I love the bike!!
    Southwest Motoradd--???
    Bought my F650GS-2 there but found then PDSlack on dealer prep. and factory call backs notes. Yes I know BMW Can. is supposed to send them direct but if the Dealer know about it won't hurt them to notify you now would it..

Real Name
    tim
    11-21-09
    i'm very happy of my f800gs

Real Name
    Nunya FB
    01-07-12
    I like my GS800 I just wish I could trust the computers estimate of remaining gas milage range.

Real Name
    Nunya FB
    01-07-12
    And no that's not my wife.... It's my mistress!

Real Name
    Dan Oaks
    05-22-14
    Does anyone have a gas gauge that works? Mine's been in twice and still doesn't work.
    --bierdo

Real Name
    Bill
    09-01-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by bierdo View Post
    Does anyone have a gas gauge that works? Mine's been in twice and still doesn't work.
    --bierdo
    As far as I know mine works, but then I do not depend on it.

I get gas when my trip odo reaches about 150-160 miles so I have never tried to test it down to empty.
    When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.
    2009 F800GS - Yellow/Black ABS - 2008 Turbo Sky - Black ABS 

Real Name
    Dan Oaks
    05-22-14
    Mine goes up instead of down as I travel.

Real Name
    C.
    12-14-10
    I want my money back!
    1. ran out of gas due to faulty gauge
    2. after paying $135 (oil change) for my 600 miles service.
    A. 1 of 2 bolts holding the light assembly fell out,
    B. Battleys did not notice the valve gasket leaking. They also did not fill the engine with oil, after replacement of gaskets.
    3. Missed another day of work trying to ride my 800gs in the rain when it died.
    4. cracked airbox.
    I am sure I am forgetting something.

Real Name
    kim
    06-15-12
    f800gs...first 1000 kms have been great !

Real Name
    Matt
    02-18-12
    f658, fantastic bike, buying bits for it now! no problems, apart from Tacho breaking, and sitting on redline, and not moving, but was assured was a computer error in the dash, and has been fixed, under warrenty. But overall, VERY impressed! Alot of envious friends!

Real Name
    Ray
    07-15-14
    F658GS = Overall, very happy with it. Light and fast for my old ass.

Real Name
    dave bartlett
    08-06-13
    09 F650GS--neutral over all. Happy with bike except for battery failure at 4500 miles, 11 months. Unhappy with Chicago BMW who would NOT honor the battery under warranty.

Still happy with bike, but the tire pressure monitors are acting up.
    Last edited by dave bartlett; 05-17-10 at 09:54 PM. Reason: latest development

07-26-10
    Got a used one with 14500 on the clock. Runs like hell, overall I very happy but. Crapy saddle, I would like to have a word with the one that designed it. I moded it my self. Having a legendery R 80 g/s for 11 years I can state: WTF would it matter if they pitched in a decent tool kit under that saddle? And what is that crap, that you can't change the back brake lever height on a 10.000 euro bike?! Also its an on off bike that can almost get 200 klm/hour, shouldn 't someone in BMW desigh a decent fairing and not that expensive incompetent crap. I got an MRA screen on, my buddy got an touratech one. No solution, ypu get 130 klm/h and you play tarzan.

Real Name
    Kathleen
    06-15-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    I am very happy with 2010 F650GS.

Real Name
    Roy
    03-24-11
    I too am very happy with my F 650 GS. It's just a fun bike to ride whether on the streets, or touring it has done all I ask.

Real Name
    Lars
    06-28-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by bierdo View Post
    --bierdo
    Did yours ever work, bierdo? My 658 only has 2K on it but the fuel gauge is very accurate. I would have said impressive before reading your note.

Real Name
    wynand
    12-05-11
    I'm with bierdo on this one, had the fuel level sensor thingy replaced but it is still rubbish. Shows completely full
    until it's almost empty. Best not to rely on it at all.
    Can't yet decide whether to vote 'happy' or 'not so happy'. The fact is that there are many issues, some adressed through recalls some not, like the rear wheel bearings which were completely shot at 16 000km's on my 800GS. I had to spend a lot to get my bike to what I would call 'Adventure' spec. so the value for money aspect needs some consideration before you buy.
    Once you have everything is sorted though, it is a hell of a ride!
    'If I could have all the money I've spent on bikes, I'd spend it on bikes...'  

+ Reply to Thread