BMW F800 Forum banner

All things considered, are you happy with your F800?

• I'm very happy with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

Votes: 105 75.0%
  • I'm happy with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I'm neutral with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I'm displeased with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I'm very displeased with my F650GS Twin or F800GS

Votes: 1 0.7%

F800 Riders Satisfaction Survey - Fall 2009 (F650GS, F800GS)

21K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  pappabeer 
#1 ·
Once per year, we here in F800 Rider HQ like to perform a survey of F800 Riders that asks a simple question:

All things considered, are you happy with your F800?

In our last survey, F800 Riders voted overwhelmingly that they were either 'Happy' or 'Very Happy' with their motorcycle. It wrapped up about a year ago, so now is about time to start this year's survey.

Keep in mind that this poll is for overall satisfaction - taking into consideration motorcycle performance, enjoyability, reliability, economics and dealer experience. Folks with more than one F800 only get to vote once as your only one owner, and this survey will close at the end of October.

This poll is open to ALL users, registered or not, but I ask that please, only folks that actually own BMW F800 motorcycles (F650GS & F800GS in this survey) vote in this survey.

Feel free to expound on your answer publicly via responding to this thread. Answers to the poll are confidential.

** ADDITIONALLY **

In addition to registering your vote here, please take a few minutes and complete the complete Satisfaction Survey (click here to go to it) so we can further quantify the data. We've expanded and standardized the survey this year to better understand what F800 Riders like and dislike about their motorcycle. We're hoping to get enough entries this year to make the data statistically significant.

See less See more
#3 ·
I picked "happy," but . . .

I have an '09 F650GS with 2908 miles since December of 2008. I've take a couple of longish rides on it, a 415 mile day ride and a 500 mile run over the week-end. I ride the bike to work a lot and prefer the GS to my R1200RT for running around town. I really like the GS for running up the canyon, but I can't say I like it "better" than my RT, they are just different.

My main complaint about this bike is that I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position. I have the low seat. I find the seat is very uncomfortable for a long ride, even with an Alaska Sheepskin butt pad. My other issue is the handlebars. I find the wide, low, flat bars cause me to have to reach too far. I recently tried rolling the bars back a little, but I think I need a bar with slightly more rise and back bend, and perhaps narrower. I also think that the bike is sprung too heavy for my weight (riding weight for me in gear is about 130#).

So far, I have no complaints regarding the engine, or transmission. I think the throttle is a bit too "quick," but I think I am becoming accustomed to it. Fuel consumption has been running about 60 mpg, and the range is adequate for any riding I might want to do around Utah, unless I become an avid adventure tourer, which is not likely.

Overall, I think the GS a fun bike.

#12 ·
Add risers

I have an '09 F650GS with 2908 miles since December of 2008. I've take a couple of longish rides on it, a 415 mile day ride and a 500 mile run over the week-end. I ride the bike to work a lot and prefer the GS to my R1200RT for running around town. I really like the GS for running up the canyon, but I can't say I like it "better" than my RT, they are just different.

My main complaint about this bike is that I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position. I have the low seat. I find the seat is very uncomfortable for a long ride, even with an Alaska Sheepskin butt pad. My other issue is the handlebars. I find the wide, low, flat bars cause me to have to reach too far. I recently tried rolling the bars back a little, but I think I need a bar with slightly more rise and back bend, and perhaps narrower. I also think that the bike is sprung too heavy for my weight (riding weight for me in gear is about 130#).

So far, I have no complaints regarding the engine, or transmission. I think the throttle is a bit too "quick," but I think I am becoming accustomed to it. Fuel consumption has been running about 60 mpg, and the range is adequate for any riding I might want to do around Utah, unless I become an avid adventure tourer, which is not likely.

Overall, I think the GS a fun bike.
Sharon I added the 20 mm Touratech risers to my 800, it made a huge difference, well worth the $40 and easy to install.

Ken

#4 ·
F800GS Owner satisfaction

Overall I am happy that I have the opportunity to ride a motorcycle. I have alway like the GS's and the 800 provided me with an opportunity to afford to buy one- or else you be reading this thread on the Yaris website. Performance, Efficiency, and living in the mountain were all consideration when deciding on the bike. Has it been what I have expected "No" not at all. I have had engine problems, recalls, stall outs, close calls and been put into some very dangerous situations as a novice motorcylist. Thank you God for keeping me safe! No offense to anyone. Now do I want to get rid of the bike- heck no! It in my blood now![}:)] Almost Heaven- WV, ride it hard and put it away wet.

#5 ·
I would consider myself "very happy" if my dealer would just meet my expectations.

I've never been offered a loaner bike.

They don't know what is supposed to be done at which service. (At 12k they did a 6k w/ brake fluid - that is all)

They do not have standardized pricing. I'm always told "its about xx dollars" to which I reply "well what does it include" and they tell me "I'm not sure". Hard to justify the price when you don't know what you're doing, isn't it?

Unable (and halfway unwilling) to fix my stalling issues.

#16 ·
I ordered and installed the front sproket from the F800GS twin and the stalling went away. Still get the same 60mpg, but my starts and acceleration is much better. Now that I think about it, I've done the same with every 650 dual sportvbike I've owned with the same results. They gear them all too steep in my opinion.

#7 ·
I voted neutral because My wifes 658 is great but I have an engine knock below 3500 rpm when the strain comes on ( starting in 1st or lugging it/roll on in 2nd/3rd). Dealer won't do anything about it and tells me its normal for the F8 but how come mine is the only one doing it? I have listen to about 5 now and other owners have listened to mine who have all commented "do you hear that engine noise?" To me the dealer don't want to service it...I had other issues with the F8 that I had to fix myself that were safety issues. If I had to keep only one bike I would choose my GSA and sell the F8. Probably my last BMW!!!

#8 ·
I voted "Happy" because I'm concerned about the rear wheel bearing issue. I also wish it had adjustable suspension for the amount of money I paid for it. It could also use a lower 1st gear for off-roading and a taller 6th for better freeway cruising.

Otherwise, I absolutely love this bike. Are there things I would change? Sure, but I've never had a bike that there weren't things I'd change.

#9 ·
Ecstatic in Colorado

After 7700+ miles and a little over one year my F800GS is better than I ever thought it could be. Changed the front sprocket to 15 tooth for a lower granny gear, great engine, riding position and well balanced. I get between 53 and 60 mpg, easily exceed 100 mph and keep up in the corners. This bike likes to run and is great on dirt. I think I have a winner.

#21 ·
I may as well be a ghost when I walk into the dealer. I think I'd have to threaten to shoot someone to get anything resembling service from them.

But I love the bike!!
Southwest Motoradd--???
Bought my F650GS-2 there but found then PDSlack on dealer prep. and factory call backs notes. Yes I know BMW Can. is supposed to send them direct but if the Dealer know about it won't hurt them to notify you now would it..

#11 ·
I said "Happy" I love the bike, but "Very Happy" would mean, Lower first gear, higher 6th gear, Better windscreen - something adjustable like the 1200GS, better seat, with a split setup like the 1200GSA, better skid plate. I think BMW should make a GSA version of the F800GS with the aforementioned upgrades, plus the ESA, then it would be a "VERY HAPPY" for me!

#13 ·
I voted very happy with my 650. If I would have answered this question a few weeks ago , I would have said just happy. What changed? I took it offroad (I have the regular seat and suspension). I put on some TKC80 tires and everything changed from there. The look , the possibilities, the onroad feeling and of course the offroad performance. Before ,all I had was a BMW , now I have a GS. That's what made it for me.

#18 ·
Didn't have time to research it, didn't count the teeth, just plopped down a million dollars and had the dealer order the front sprocket for a F800GS, put it on, and it worked. That was right after I ordered a Corbin seat to stop the smoke coming out of my ass. I really believe the Japanese and Germans are using their seat designs to get back with us old farts for WWII.

#20 ·
Happy Overall - Today was painful
I have clocked up 37000k on my F658GS
Today I got the chain & sprockets changed - chain was ready to snap already - had been waiting about two weeks for sprocket to arrive from Germany - non were in stock in Aus. Worn chain caused bike to surge constantly and became very uncomfortable to ride so I would recommend changing the chain around 30000k - it goes off quickly when it decides to go.
Also changed front disk - was badly warped - single disk on the front is probably not enough for this bike - changed disk also meant that i needed yet another set of pads - fourth set of pads.

The bike has had a few issues to date - had a new head gasket with the 30000k service - it was leaking oil
Rear wheel bearer also replaced at 30000k.

A developing concern I have is that the bike stalls when the ambient temprature rises above 37 degrees Celsius - once the temperature drops down again the bike has no problem - on really hot days i get the stalling happening again - wierd.

Tyres - originally I had Battlewings - they did 17000k - replaced with Tourance rear & Tourance EXP front - these tyres handle a lot better than the Battlewings and are still going at 37000k - might start to think about replacements after the 40000k service.

The 658 is a good allrounder but parts are costing a mint and no aftermarket stuff seems to be available yet. the 658 is not to bad for two up riding
Offroad riding is fun and bike handles well in the dirt and mud
I find the bike a bit low for me but when I bought the bike the F800GS hadn't been released yet.

I do work with the bike and I do ride it in a spirited manner, rain hail or shine, so it gets a good workout - my bike probably is a good indicator that the bike is generally durable even though the wearing parts do come at a price so it is not the cheapest mode of transport.

I would recommend this bike to others - overall it has been good to me and keeps the smile on my face when i get to go riding.

#26 ·
Does anyone have a gas gauge that works? Mine's been in twice and still doesn't work.
--bierdo
As far as I know mine works, but then I do not depend on it.

I get gas when my trip odo reaches about 150-160 miles so I have never tried to test it down to empty.

#28 ·
Not happy! After owning for a month!

I want my money back!
1. ran out of gas due to faulty gauge
2. after paying $135 (oil change) for my 600 miles service.
A. 1 of 2 bolts holding the light assembly fell out,
B. Battleys did not notice the valve gasket leaking. They also did not fill the engine with oil, after replacement of gaskets.
3. Missed another day of work trying to ride my 800gs in the rain when it died.
4. cracked airbox.
I am sure I am forgetting something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.