BMW F800 Forum banner

Got my Madstad windscreen

43K views 126 replies 42 participants last post by  oxytotl 
#1 · (Edited)
here's my write up that I posted on another forum

Preface: I have no affiliation with madstad engineering, just a happy customer.

Alright, so I wanted a better windscreen for my bike, something adjustable for touring. i wanted it to be stable at up to the max speed of my bike (140) and comfortable even around town. Well through the f800 forum I found this system. One of the riders on the forum sent madstad engineering an f800 windscreen and they used it to create the baseplate for the robobrackets.

Anyways, the system uses "robobrackets", which are some pretty ingenious lil mounts. They mount to an original windscreen or a baseplate, and then a new windscreen on top. They offer almost infinite adjustability in every axis.

This is the baseplate and robo brackets. The baseplate mounts with no modification at all to the bike, just replaces the stock windscreen. As you can see the robobrackets are quite adjustable. The baseplate is flawless, great finish, nice metal.

from there the new provided windscreen mounts with the provided spacers and T-nuts. Once you get the screen in the desired position you tighten down the robobracket sliders. I found, due to the fact that I put the screen in the lowest possible position, that I had to remove the screen from the brackets to tighten down the adjusters. Wasn't a problem, overall very easy.

preadjustment

final placement

Now, this is the 20 inch screen. He is sending me the 18 and I will then return the 20. While I like the 20's position it is at the bottom of the adjustable range and with the 18 i'll have a lot more options on angle, position, etc.

The top of the screen is right about at the very bottom of my visor sitting straight up. The Airflow really is top notch. No buffeting at all on the chest or neck. The air bubble puts it right to the top of my helmet. Pretty quiet, and this is sitting as straight up as I can. If I even bend down a little I'm in an almost perfect bubble. I tested it up to 100mph and it stayed put and did extremely well. When I get the 18" I'll have a lot more adjustability.

the system is currently made for the
BMW F800ST
BMW F650GS
BMW K1200R
Can-Am Spyder
Buell Lightning
Buell Ulysses
Honda Gold Wing
Honda VFR800 VTEC
Kawasaki KLR650
Kawasaki Versys
Suzuki Bandit 1250
Suzuki DR350
Suzuki V-Strom
Triumph Tiger 1050
Yamaha FZ1
but, like the F800, if you send him your screen I'm sure Mark (the owner) can make up a baseplate for your bike.

price varies on if you use a base-plate or your existing screen to mount the brackets on. I paid just over $300 for the whole system. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

Again, no affiliation, just a cool product from a small AMERICAN business.

and yes, I'm missing a turnsignal, I'm in the middle of putting my GSXR mirrors back on with integrated turnsignals.

See less See more
1 7
#2 ·
Mine should be arriving any day now. I'm 6'1" so I ordered the 22" screen. I can't wait to hit the road with this baby. My commute is 45 miles each way between 70 - 80 MPH and with a 19" V-stream I'm still getting a lot of turbulence.

#3 ·
dang, i want one. i have the 19 inch v stream as well, with a laminar lip. i wouldnt ride the bike without the lip, it doesnt do all that great, but it def. helps. by the way this screen looks and the sound of people, id really like to get one.
but dang, 300 bucks.
maybe somone will get one and end up selling their bike, ill have to jump on it then.

#4 ·
I can't recommend the screen highly enough. It took me some experimenting to get the adjustment right on my ST with the 22" screen, but now it is perfect. Top of the screen is below my line-of-sight but I can feel the air going past an inch or so above the top of my helmet and I can now ride without earplugs.

I *might* swap it out for my Givi this Summer, or experiment with a new position for the Madstad, but this is the best money I've invested in an aftermarket product for my ST.

#6 ·
Got my 20" windscreen last Friday and installed it this weekend. Oh my gosh!!! What a difference from stock. I'm glad I waited. I came close to getting the Ztechnik. With the stock screen I was getting blasted in the chest and with the Madstad I adjusted it to go over the top of my helmet. That coupled with my new Sergeant seat gives me hope I can do some 500+ mile days. Wish the ST had more range, I was spoiled with my RT giving me 200+ miles. Add an aux fuel tank? I haven't figured that out yet.

Also, my next challenge is to add some highway pegs. It looks like there is cross bar in front of the radiator where the lower fairing attaches that has a possibility of being used. It's hard to believe someone hasn't figured out how to add those.

Thanks for the info on the Madstad Andrew.

Cheers

#8 ·
Hey Andrew. Sure hope the owner of the Volvo, doesnt mind you using the car as a workbench. [lol]

Anyways, do let us know how you make out with the 18" screen. I will likely be going with this sort of set up on my S as I will be doing some touring this year. I got my Panniers, just need a good screen to finish me off. I'm gonna live with the stock seat for now.

Cheers.

here's my write up that I posted on another forum

Preface: I have no affiliation with madstad engineering, just a happy customer.

Alright, so I wanted a better windscreen for my bike, something adjustable for touring. i wanted it to be stable at up to the max speed of my bike (140) and comfortable even around town. Well through the f800 forum I found this system. One of the riders on the forum sent madstad engineering an f800 windscreen and they used it to create the baseplate for the robobrackets.

Anyways, the system uses "robobrackets", which are some pretty ingenious lil mounts. They mount to an original windscreen or a baseplate, and then a new windscreen on top. They offer almost infinite adjustability in every axis.

This is the baseplate and robo brackets. The baseplate mounts with no modification at all to the bike, just replaces the stock windscreen. As you can see the robobrackets are quite adjustable. The baseplate is flawless, great finish, nice metal.

from there the new provided windscreen mounts with the provided spacers and T-nuts. Once you get the screen in the desired position you tighten down the robobracket sliders. I found, due to the fact that I put the screen in the lowest possible position, that I had to remove the screen from the brackets to tighten down the adjusters. Wasn't a problem, overall very easy.

preadjustment

final placement

Now, this is the 20 inch screen. He is sending me the 18 and I will then return the 20. While I like the 20's position it is at the bottom of the adjustable range and with the 18 i'll have a lot more options on angle, position, etc.

The top of the screen is right about at the very bottom of my visor sitting straight up. The Airflow really is top notch. No buffeting at all on the chest or neck. The air bubble puts it right to the top of my helmet. Pretty quiet, and this is sitting as straight up as I can. If I even bend down a little I'm in an almost perfect bubble. I tested it up to 100mph and it stayed put and did extremely well. When I get the 18" I'll have a lot more adjustability.

the system is currently made for the

but, like the F800, if you send him your screen I'm sure Mark (the owner) can make up a baseplate for your bike.

price varies on if you use a base-plate or your existing screen to mount the brackets on. I paid just over $300 for the whole system. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

Again, no affiliation, just a cool product from a small AMERICAN business.

and yes, I'm missing a turnsignal, I'm in the middle of putting my GSXR mirrors back on with integrated turnsignals.

#10 ·
Installed the screen this morning - what a pain in the &%^ it is to tighten the brackets. You really have to put the windshield on to line everything up. Since I'm 6'1" I got the 22" screen. The way I have it adjusted it looks close to vertical as opposed to "flowing" with the angle of the original windscreen. Looks a little dorky, but since it's a frequent commuter at 80 MPH on the highway, I'm after comfort, not looks. Taking my first test ride this afternoon. Can't wait.

#11 ·
Hi Bob. Did you get out this afternoon and how was the new shield? I'm just up the road in Simsbury and thought about going out then the damn wind picked up! I still have quite a bit of snow on the drive so a bit worried about getting the ST out. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I think the Madstad looks the business but I would only need the 18" I think. Cheers, Paul.

#17 ·
I just got my 18" Madstad windscreen. I played around with it a bit (making adjustments) during a 200 mile ride today! I love it!

#18 · (Edited)

Attachments

#22 ·
With the cold weather approaching (already here, actually), I needed better protection, so I bought a Madstad. Today was the first ride with it on, and I am most impressed. I am tall so I ordered the 22" screen.

With the stock screen, my head was in steady air. Doing a head check during lane changes at highway speeds required significant effort. With the Madstad, I sit in a nice air pocket. It was still cold this morning (the bike's thermometer read 31F when I left, climbing to 35F when I arrived) but the added protection made a huge difference on my head, upper body and even my hands.

This was definitely a worthwhile purchase!

#34 ·
With the stock screen, my head was in steady air. Doing a head check during lane changes at highway speeds required significant effort. With the Madstad, I sit in a nice air pocket. It was still cold this morning (the bike's thermometer read 31F when I left, climbing to 35F when I arrived) but the added protection made a huge difference on my head, upper body and even my hands.

This was definitely a worthwhile purchase!
When you say the shield made a huge difference even on your hands, may I ask how? Does the shield deflect the wind around your hands? Thanks.

#23 ·
I just got the new 22" clear sport SD shield and I love it. I have tried OEM, V-Stream and now Madstad. The only way to go is Madstad. Buffeting on chest and head are gone. Noise is reduced so much now than I can listen to music thru my helmet on highway speed. Do yourself a favorit, you would spend as much money trying different windsield, or get the Robo bracket with thier shield and be happy. Additionaly, Mark and staff at Madstad was so knowlegeable and friendly, I reconmmeded to so many others with great results. Anyway, just my 2 cents. [:)]

#24 ·
Charlie,
Im now looking at the 18" for my 2010 F800ST for my 5"6" height, is that the screen size on yours? You mentioned you had a 20" screen arriving and I was wondering if you are still happy with your change over the OEM. I emailed Mastadt support and asked for their recommendations. Based on the reviews and comments from other riders the Mastadt with the brackets seems a best choice for the F800ST, any comments?

#25 ·
I'm 5'7 and use the 18" screen, but for the more upright ST even though you're a tad shorter you might do best with the 20", both fit just fine, the 20 has noticable better wide protection, shoulder/arm wind is cut down more with the 20 than the 18. Really up to you though, either rocks.

#26 ·
Andrew

Thanks for the recommedations and the company emailed me about having their new Sport SD shield to replace the Spyder. Mark mentioned he doesn't have the new design set up yet on his web page. I will probably get the 18" but it will depend if I decide to add bar risers. Mark recommends the 20" if I had risers. I'm just going to make sure before I order anything.

Gerry

#28 ·
Viviane,
Thanks, I'm undecided between the 18" or 20" sport sd screen Madstad now has for the F800ST. I posted a new thread to get rider satisfaction updates and will most likely order mine next week. I see the main difference from their spyder screen is they rounded the base more on the SD screen

#29 ·
Yeah i think he sent me the sport one. I was one of the first one to get it in february 2011.
The guy said if i didnt like the look to send it back, but i liked the look.
The only thing is that we had to remove the base plate and screen a few times for trailer transport, now one nut/bolt spin in the base plate so itll be a pain to remove it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.