BMW F800 Forum banner

Has the gas tank on your F650GS/F800GS twin cracked?

POLL: Has your F650GS/F800GS twin gas tank cracked?

160K views 194 replies 76 participants last post by  Fang 
#1 ·
The purpose of this poll it to determine how widespread the gas tank cracking problem is for the BMW F800GS/F650GS twins, and if the problem might be related to the charcoal canister emissions system used on USA bikes.....

If you have modified your USA/Canister equipted bike:

Please vote as "canister equipted" bike unless you have removed BOTH your canister AND the pressure relief valve from your bike.

Reactions: de100kb
#9 ·
Alan:
Well I've voted so see it differently, but most folks are seeing a "vote" panel at the top of the page?

#3 ·
I have gone through two fuel tanks on mine. It cracked both times on the right side at the 90 degree angle on the top of the tank, just below the paint. I was living in California at the time and the dealer fixed it with no problems both times. The first time they had to send pics to BMW, the second time they just fixed it. I have not modified anything to do with the charcoal canister. I have had the third tank for about 6 months now and see no signs of cracking. I voted on the poll cracked more than once (canister equipped bike).

#4 ·
My 2009 US-spec F650GS, made in June of 2008, still has its original fuel tank cover, which has no cracks and still looks like new.

#5 ·
One question about the pressure build up in canister equipped bikes theory...I thought the part that was cracking was the external liner, not the actual inner tank. That is why we don't have leaking fuel as a result. Why would "pressure buildup" cause cracking in the outer shell (and not the actual tank)?

#8 ·
Lars:
I don't know that it would or would not cause it, but if the liner is in "intamant" contact with the shell, and I suspect it is then the forces would be (could be [?] ) transmitted to the shell. While 5 psi is not a lot of pressure the surface area is large. I never hear the UK guys talking about this, so am suspicious.
I have posted a pointer over there to this poll.

Reactions: lmclamore
#6 ·
The outer shell and liner are bonded together so if the liner expands so will the outer shell. If the liner where more flexible and shell more rigid the outer cracking would be feasible.
My bike has 24000 miles and no fuel tank issues. Touratech tank was added at 14000 miles and the canister was retained for both tanks.

#12 ·
Any of you guys with the cracked tanks in the habit of overfilling your tank to the very brim to max out your mileage, and then parking in the sun for a while right after? I ask because I've got a couple of gas cans (for camping) where I forgot to leave the proper air space which now have unbelievably swelled ends. And they're built to take some pressure (think MSR white-gas stoves with pressurized tanks). All from too little air space and too much heat from the sun.

#13 ·
Gas does expand when it heats up, but I do not fuel it beyond the maximum level and leave it in the sun. There is a line on those MSR bottles (at least on mine) that says only to fill it to the line to allow for expansion. The line is somewhere in the neighborhood of an inch from the top. I have to consciously keep myself from filling it further though. My 1L MSR bottle is what I use for my extra fuel supply just in case.

#18 ·
I always overfill my fuel tank. But I also immediately ride off after fueling and never let the bike sit in the sun with an over-fulled tank. I have never had a problem with my tank cracking, expanding or leaking.

#21 ·
Little over 8,000mi and my gas tank is cracking parallel to the seat. I haven't brought it in to the dealership yet on this problem. Another thing going wrong with the F(GS) as if we haven't had enough recalls and problems related to the F(GS) [B)]

I fill mine up and ride. The bike has never been filled with gas and left out in the sun. I usually fill and put it in the garage. When out on trips I fill with gas and ride usually riding until evening. So when filling never left out in direct sunlight in summer or winter.

#23 ·
You have to admit, this is a strange problem. Just look at the poll. You would think that tank cracking caused by some sort of mechanical or chemical problem would affect all of the F800-series bikes. But here I am with a bike made in June of 2008 and have no cracking, while last year I saw cracked tanks on two brand new F800GS models that were sitting on my dealer's showroom floor. I am really having a problem coming up with a pattern here. How can you blame ethanol in the gas or overfilling the tank when a tank cracks before it ever had any fuel in it? :confused: All I can think of is that for some reason the manufacturer of the US tanks made a design, manufacturing or materials selection error when producing certain tanks designed for US motorcycles. Why only US tanks I don't have a clue. :confused:

#24 ·
Sorry, I may have posted this to a different thread on the same topic.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong [err]), part of the canister system is a check-valve that lets pressure build in the tank to ~5 psi before venting to the atmosphere. Non-USA bikes do not have this checkvalve and thus are not stressed in this way. While 5 psi does not sound like much pressure the area of the gas tank is large so I think it is possible that the pressure cycling is creating enough stress to crack the outer shell. I know that some very new bikes have developed cracks, so maybe this is not the root cause ... but other than this theory ... I've got nothing else to even propose. I am "assuming" the USA tanks are made from the same materials as the rest of the world.

#25 ·
THANKS for the sticky!

...there is something weird going on here ... that is for sure... [:(!]
My tank is cracked I have not bothered to pester my dealer for a replacement ... too much trouble ...
I'm hoping they get a real fix in place before my warranty runs out, and I can just get it done ONCE!

#27 ·
Just voted. No fuel tank cracking for my low mileage, canister equipped F650GS; a 2009 model built in October 2008. I've been known to overfill on occasion. Bike is garaged unless on the road. We do have some pretty extreme temperatures here from single digits to 105-ish.

#28 · (Edited)
The dealership saw my cracked gas tank and was really worried as this is not normal. I would not have even known where to look if it had not been for this thread.

A car had run a stop sign and hit my Fgs. Trying to evaluate the damage and cost to the Fgs, I am going to the dealership to figure out whether or not I will keep the Fgs or trade it in.

I just had the front disc recall done a few weeks ago, my battery is getting weak even though I do use the BMW trickle charger when riding bike for a few weeks during the winter. I do ride all year round.

#30 ·
Reactions: NomadS
#31 ·
This is the same place the crack is on my gas tank. After this weekend it will be 2 weeks that my bike has been in the shop. They are still waiting for the gas tank. They said if the tank is in the US, then it will be quicker... if the tank has to come in from Germany, I could be waiting a long time.

The main thing is that I want my bike ready to ride by spring. Weather is starting to turn better, but if Spring comes and the bike is still in the shop, I am seriously thinking of getting rid of it.

Now I regret getting rid of my R1200. The R1200 had only 1 recall and never gave me any problems. The F800 has a better feel to it and revs to mph are the same so I thought the F800 would be the preferable bike. I just finished doing the brake recall.

The F800 is great when it is running. The multiple recalls and defects is slowly steering me away from the F800. The F800 has been in the shop for 2 weeks and I don't even miss not having it as I'm riding my Honda. At the end of 2011 the 3 year warranty is no longer in effect -so I will get real serious about getting rid of the F800 if the 2nd gas tank cracks.

When the dealership saw the crack in the gas tank, they were surprised about the crack; however, this BMW board has it well documented that this is definitely a 'quality control' problem with BMW and a recall is not the answer for those with multiple gas tanks breaking.
There is a set of pictures here ...
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/52328-second-tank-cracked?p=465476&viewfull=1#post465476
Cracks seem equally like in this position on either side of the tank.

#32 ·
F50:
You could go get the bike and ride it until the tank comes in...
The tank design is double-wall and, as I understand it, the crack in the outer shell does not put you at risk.
(Please confirm this with the service dept [:D])

Rumors of a NEW tank design are surfacing...
This would be a 3rd part number (the original P/N, the first redesign with bigger radius, and now #3 ...)

#33 ·
Sounds like a good idea. I will confirm this with my dealership next week. I just don't want BMW thinking they can get off easily by stalling and not repairing or replacing the gas tank. This is the second time in the history of motorcycling that I ever heard of gas tank problems. The 1st being the Silver Wing scooter/motorcycle, but this was under warranty and Honda provided a fix that worked. BMW is not providing a valid fix other than replacing with a gas tank of same 'defective' quality [:(!] Before I even take the motorcycle out of the shop, I will get a receipt that the gas tank was ordered.

Something all of us should document should the crack tank not be replaced before warranty, we should not be charged for the replacement gas tank. My battery is starting to get a little weak and this is with using the BMW special trickle charge. Another thing going wrong with the motorcycle. I should have kept my R1200.

#35 ·
My 3 years of warranty is not over till the end of the summer, I have cracks, but not large, so I'm going to hold out until Rev #3 of the design ... if one actually exists.

Sheezzz you wouldn't think it would take 3 tries would ya.... [B)]

#36 ·
My 3 year warranty ends Dec 2011. I've been without my BMW for 2 weeks now and I don't even miss the F800. If the BMW is at the shop, it can't be called back for recalls [lol] My Honda is my every day motorcycle. At this rate I should put a "For Sale" sign on the F800 for consignment if anyone wants to buy to before the gas tank comes in. Who know, it could take another few months before I get another gas tank. If you are talking about a supposed Rev #3, it may actually be a real recall so after the F800 is off warranty, it would still get recalled and everyone gets a new gas tank. So I'll take anything that isn't cracked [B)] even if it isn't a BMW. Now I miss my R1200!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.