BMW F800 Forum banner

Anyone else drooling over the Schuberth C3

25K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  Roadpizza 
#1 ·
I just got back from the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in DC. I have to say it was pretty toned down compared to the past, but there were a few cool products I really wanted. One, and the one whose price I'd really choke on, was the Schuberth C3. It sounds like everything anyone would want in a helmet for a mere $1100.00 USD. I had it on for a short while and it felt more comfortable than either of my other helmets (a Shoei X-11 and a HJC AC-10). Plus it had the sunshield, pinlock, and (for that price) bluetooth by Cardo. The thing was friggin cool.

I've never had a modular before, but this one really made me think about it. At least it only has a SHARP score of 3 stars. If it were 5 I'd probably rack up the credit card. Still??? Anyone want to buy a used X-11 and AC-12 with a Chatterbox XBi???

Anyone else go to the show? What did you think?

#2 ·
I took a look at the C3 while at the Long Beach motorcycle show. It seemed alright to me, but just alright. In my opinion, it didn't seem like the build quality was worth the $699 price tag. Also, the comm package, for an additional $399, is proprietary. In other words, if you're into the chatterbox, or the like, the Schuberth comm package doesn't support it. In addition, the flip down sun shield, while neat, supposedly reduces the safety of the helmet. From what I am told (not sure if it's true or not), the reason why the sun shield hasn't been done more with helmets manufactured by companies generally regarded to be high quality (ie: Shoei, Arai, etc.) is that if you have an impact, the sun shield can shatter and end up cutting your face.

Anyhow, take the above for what it's worth. Bottom line for me was that I decided that the helmet wouldn't be worth the $1,100 price tag. I went with the Shoei RF-1100.

#3 ·
Wearing sunglasses on a bright day and then driving through a dark tunnel (quite a few round these parts)? Which sounds safer? Flip up the internal sun shield. Sounds safer to me than riding without being able to see. Never heard of those shields shattering. Not much different than the faceshield that is another inch or so from your face, compared to the sun shield. Never understood Shoei's problem with it
My .02.

#4 ·
I swore I would never own a modular helmet. Now I won't ride with anything else as they are easily the absolute most comfortable protection in toasty tropical climates.
The added bonus of the internal sunscreen visor is nice. Schuberths are way overpriced for what you are really getting. Same goes for anything sold at BMW for accessories.

#5 ·
ER (or is that eeyore??[8D]) I was there yesterday as well and checked out the Schuberth - was not really that impressed with it - seemed to weigh about the same as the Symax CL2 that I got (on sale) at a local shop for 1/4 the price. It is not the quietest of my modulars - I have several - but it does have the sun shield and is pretty comfortable as well. I still have to be convinced that spending more $$$ for a helmet that is essentially a one time use item is 'better' than a less $ model that meets the same standards is a good investment. Comfort and fit etc is sorta relative - the $500 or so bucks I didn't spend allows me to buy a lot of gas or in my case the Denali lights!
Overall the show was OK, IMHO BMW NA is really missing the boat by not having a corporate booth - at least Battleys (yeah I know there are folks on here who detest them) had 3 there - most notably the F800R in red/white/blue. Nice looking machine if you like to ride naked[:0]

#6 ·
I just came back from the NYC show. Looked at the C3 and tried a couple on. It is certainly lighter than my old Nolan (needs replacing) but the build quality was not better. In fact I was somewhat dissappointed with the quality. I spent about 10 minutes trying a couple of helmet on...did not like the fit at all. I tried to get the attention of salesman but was not sucessfull. I did not see any option to in hance the fits . so I think what I saw and tried is what you get.

I will not buy a C3. poor fit, mediocre quality, big $$. Nolan is clearly a better option, in my opinion

I must I am smitten by the Arae RX-Q. Really nice quality, very light, seems to have great venting...but I've been riding modular for the last 10+ years and I'm not sure I can live with a full face.

#33 ·
I must I am smitten by the Arae RX-Q. Really nice quality, very light, seems to have great venting...but I've been riding modular for the last 10+ years and I'm not sure I can live with a full face.
Hey Bobz,

About two months ago now I bought myself the new RX-Q and I absolutely love it. I took a riding course a few weekends ago and the Sat was hot and humid and the ventilation and light weight were fantastic. The Sun poured all day heavy rain. Only dry part of me was my head and feet (thanks to new Alpinestars Hydro Sport Boots). The visor was closed but again great ventilation and no fogging.

I highly recommend this helmet. It is light, all day riding comfortable, great ventillation, adjustable cheek pads and super quiet. [:D]

#7 ·
I just got back from riding from San Antonio to SoCal ad back with the C3. This helmet is unbelievable. I owned the original Concept about 10 years ago and the C3 is head and shoulders above it. I can't believe that Bobz says mediocre quality. Don't knock the quality because the helmet doesn't fit. The C3 is quiet, light and areodynamic. It weighs 3 lbs 9 oz (medium) and has a narrower profile than an RF1100!! The venting is superior. It comes with a $50 pinlock. How much is a pinlock for an Arai helmet? The C3 has a 5-year warranty and if you crash with it in the first 3 years, you can get a replacement for 1/3 the cost as long as it's registered when purchased. Can't speak to the comm system, but I know that the BMW comm system for the new BMW 1600s will fit almost seamlessly in the C3.

#10 ·
Hi all, Flook here from the UK, have any of you thought of looking at the BMW system6, its the same as the ShuC3 but cheaper. I bought mine from the local BMW dealer, he gave me an extra 10% off as well, this was because I bought the bike from there. The helmet is light and comfy, I really cant complain either despite this being my third one, first was a dream, but a bit of the flip support failed, replaced immediately, the second slightly leaked between visor and seal when it was raining, again replaced immediately. This one seems OK, and is an improved on the other two.

Am I disappointed, no way, not on your old nelly, it only served me to have confidence in the product. Out of 10 I give it 10 and another 10 to the dealer. However I do appreciate we all have our favorites and mine is the silver system6.

#14 ·
What? Sorry, you've got no idea what you're talking about.

Anyhoo... I've owned my C3 for about six months now and it's a brilliant helmet. It's very light and quiet. The built in sun visor is the best I've ever used and the venting is brilliant too. Was it worth the £500 price tag? Perhaps. I think it could be cheaper without a doubt, but you pay a premium for a premium product, which is often backed up with a premium service, support and warranty agreement.

With regards to the sun visor shattering: of course it can shatter, anything of that nature (screens, visors, glasses, etc) can be shattered if the right pressure is applied. The question is, under what circumstances would the visor shatter? That would have to be a bad accident (I'm not saying they don't happen).

I'm very happy with the purchase and I will likely upgrade in a few years when required.

4/5 from me.

#15 ·
To answer your original question. NO!

Not because it's a bad helmet, or a good one, or has any other "feature" I've read about, but I've not tried it on my head. If it don't fit everything else is irrelevant!

I always by a helmet that fits. To date my last two are Arai because they fitted best.

The one I had set my heart on by looking at the "features" on the net was designed for somebody with a totally different head shape, that I couldn't get it on my head, unless it was so large once on my head I could turn it around :)

#20 ·
@ john, only the older BMW system helmets derived by schuberth, surely not 5 and 6. I think the last one BMW system helmet developed by schuberth was the 4 evo, anyway it was quite different from the C2 produced in the same period.

@ philip, I had bell helmets since the eddie lawson replica (if I'm not wrong it was the M2) till my first system 4, but now in italy bell sold the brand and the helmets you can buy here are not the same of the wonderful american bell helmets, they are still good but not as the american ones.

my new nolan N85 was surprising me: before this one I never liked nolan helmets, but this one is different, very comfortable, quiet and light, it has an integrated sun-visor and the pin-lock visor too, very nice integral touring helmet (if interested read my review). I bought it for less than 200 €. if you're looking for a new flip-up helmet you may consider the new nolan N90, it should be a good helmet, as mine (here you can find it for less than 220 €).
I think at the moment the best flip-up helmet is the schuberth C3: very light, very comfortable, fantastic shape, well equipped and quieter than every other flip-up helmet, in one word... the best quality, but it's expensive (here the best price is 400 €, SRC is 250 €), anyway it's a good deal for that price, it's a top quality helmet, be sure that your money would be well spent. C3 is the most popular helmet among the italian F riders, they all are very happy of their choice, and I believe it.

Reactions: Roadpizza
#21 ·
Hi I have been using the C3 for 1 and 1/2 years, my previous one was Bmw System 4 .

C3 is the "total" helmet: comfort OK, weigth OK, ventilation OK , sunshield : excellent.

AS Guidoveloce told you, the Italy price in the range of 350 - 380 euro, there are cheaper helmets but I do not consider.

#22 ·
I've had my System 6 for almost 2 years, and it's brilliant. Guido, I've heard from a number of sources that it is essentially the same helmet as the C3.
Note that it was immensely uncomfortable for the first week or so, while the cheek pads were forming to my face, but since then it has been the best helmet I've ever owned. I've just ordered a new visor and pinlock, though, as the old one has received a couple of nasty scratches.

#23 ·
ross, if you compare the system 6 and C3 you notice the difference: the shape of the shell is very different and the flip-up mechanism is different too, anyway both are very comfortable and the quality is the same. I think that schuberth is a little bit smaller, but I'm not sure. only this could be the reason to prefer C3 instead of system 6. maybe for the price...

#24 ·
I rate very highly the C3 over my previous helmet - the C2. It's much much quieter, far more comfortable and also lighter with altogether better ventilation. I also like the in-built sun visor which drops down deeper than was the case with the C2. What I don't like is the pinlock visor which appears to be a modern feature/trend in many new-to-the market helmets. For me it creates slightly blurry vision along with a mirroring effect when the sun is low in the sky and at certain angles to the visor. In fact I have recently removed mine although in doing this one has to be somewhat cautious. The pins, unlike a lot of Schuberths competitors, are not a fixture of the outer visor i.e. fixed, but rather they are simply of a push-in type and consequently likely to fall out when not held in place by sideways pressure from the inner visor. To overcome this, following removal of the inner visor I glued the pins back in place within the outer shield using clear silicone. With the inner visor now removed I have excellent clear vision and for me personally, have now attained the near perfect touring helmet.

PS BMW helmets are also made by Schuberth.

#25 ·
a BMW dealer told me that system 5 and 6 are not made by schuberth.
I've never notice an annoying mirroring effect with the pin-lock visor, sometimes just a little reflection of the light on the edge of the inner visor, but only when I lower my head and my eyes are not straight on the screen. I also wear the glasses.

#26 ·
I picked up a C3 (with the SRC/Cardo unit) last week and put about 700 miles on it this weekend (both on and off road). I guess I've been a bit of a brand loyalist lately since my helmet rack currently holds a Multitec, RF-1100, and Hornet (I also had an RF-1000 a few years back). So, for me to go non-Shoei must say something for my initial impressions of the C3. As much as I love the Multi as my daily lid, the main driving factor for me was the integrated sunscreen... Just getting tired of lugging (and forgetting) sunglasses.

Overall, I am impressed with the C3.

Fit – Decent, but the RF1100 and Multi fit me a little better. Of course the C3 is still breaking in, and head shapes differ. You'll just have to find a local dealer or show to see if it works for you.

Ventilation – Good, slightly better than the Multi but doesn't come close to the RF-1100's ventilation.

Weight – Feels much lighter than the Multi, and similar to the RF-1100.

Noise level – Much quieter than the Multi, and a bit quieter than the RF-1100.

Field of vision – Much better than both the Multi and RF-1100. I also like the fact that the Pinlock extends nearly to the edge of the shield (similar to the RF-1100). You hardly notice the lines.

Form factor – The C3 is much smaller than both Shoeis. While this is probably an advantage over the Shoei while on the road, you do feel a bit more claustrophobic in the C3.

Gadgets - Like I said, I love the sun visor, but the "quick-release" chin latch makes strapping in and out, a single (gloved) hand operation.

Value – While the Multi will certainly win on price, I'd have to say the "value" of the C3 is pretty good, especially since I don't need to carry sunglasses anymore.

My big complaint would be with the SRC system. While I like the audio features: volume auto-adjust, speaker size, and slick integration (replaces the base curtain with a couple quick snaps), the microphone position and design drove me crazy. There simply isn't enough room between my mouth and chin guard for the thing to fit comfortably. I ended up bending the whole thing back and tucking it under the collar flap. I could still feel the flex cable sticking into my neck.

For anyone considering a flip, I would have to say that you'll want to at least try one of these on. I realize most places wouldn't let you take one on the road, but the noise levels, weight, and field of vision will probably impress you.

Knowing what I know now, I would still purchase the C3, however, I would have left the SRC in the display case (way too expensive for what it does, not to mention the mic issues I had).
Of course, if Shoei was to announce a Multi 2 with integrated visor, you'll see my C3 under the Classifieds section.

For those in the New England area, Moto Market in Acton, MA is now a Schuberth dealer and has all sizes in stock...
Of course, just don't expect the "deal" part of "dealer", but I think everyone is selling at list (for now).

Hope this helps.

#27 ·
Of course, if Shoei was to announce a Multi 2 with integrated visor, you'll see my C3 under the Classifieds section.

If I heard/understood correctly, Shoei claimed once that they will never make an integrated visor as they feel it compromises safety.

Maybe they will have a change of heart. I will be all over the next gen multi tec, internal visor or not.

#29 ·
My big complaint would be with the SRC system. While I like the audio features: volume auto-adjust, speaker size, and slick integration (replaces the base curtain with a couple quick snaps), the microphone position and design drove me crazy. There simply isn't enough room between my mouth and chin guard for the thing to fit comfortably.
Agree with you 100% Chuck. I even telephoned Schuberth regarding this matter and asked them would they consider in future model releases of the SRC to make the microphone a user detachable item as bunching the darn thing down under your bottom lip is a real pain in the......you know what. Their reply was somewhat non-committal stating that it wasn't company policy to discuss product design but they would take note of what I had said. In all other aspects, functions etc I am more than pleased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.