from an S to the R? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Curious if anyone here has gone from the S to the R.

I'm entertaining the idea of a more upright rider for my next bike.

Did I read (somewhere?) that the peg location is the same between S/R/ST?

Feel free to straighten me out (up!) with your input here.

TIA,
    -tp

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Sandro P
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800S
    If you choose this route, be prepared to be disappointed as you take a step "back" from what you got. i.e. no fairing, no windscreen, chain drive.

Why not just raise your current bars?
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner? 

4. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Hey SunnY, thanks sincerely for getting my thread going here.

First up, I adore the S as a sport bike, it has low bars for a reason and their form fits their function, so I'm not inclined to tinker with it's bar/rider geometry, it's a nice compromise from a full on sports bike setup. I don't find the ergos painful on my wrists or arms or shoulders. When I can ride the S like it should be, they are (along with the oem screen/faring) really satisfying. The problem has been, I'm not riding the S like it should be.

My bikes primary role is as a commuter. My commute has changed since when I first got the S, from one with good long stretches of highway to one with next to none. On days when that one section of interstate (15 mins?) is bumper to bumper, I opt to take the myriad of secondary roads (thickly settled) available to get me into and out of the city.

Commuter role aside, in the 2 years I've had the S, I've taken a single longer 2 day ride (500+), and a handful of day rides (150-200). Even on those rides, perhaps a small portion of them is sports bike territory. I'm no sport tourer.

So, I've been thinking to capture some of it's remaining value towards getting me on a bike that better serves my main role for it... commuting, mostly back/city roads, with two short stints on the busiest sections of the freeway.

Thinking "upright" lead me to look at the GS' and Tiger's 800 and entertain ideas of de-beaking and dumping the 21" front for a 19 or 17 and so on and so forth. Then when George recently suggested the R1200R a went off in my head, why not consider the F800R?

So a long winded response to your precautions about "stepping back". Given my primary use, I'm not sure if I'd miss the faring or screen. As for the chain maint/replacing, time would tell if it's really that much of a PITA and I doubt enough to not consider a model because of it. Who knows, I might like it.

So another question for R owners, how is it for standing up on the pegs? This is something I do now and again on the S, when riding through particularly sketchy patches. Are the bars up enough to keep you back a smidge from the faux tank?

As for the original question - peg position - same as S/ST? I'll keep looking/reading online, maybe I can suss out the answer.

Thanks again... looking forward to more feeback, comments, concerns.
    -tp

PS: for the record: my SO flat out shut down my 400cc supermoto idea... something like "you are not taking a 400cc on the highway".

07-31-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Teep View Post
    As for the original question - peg position - same as S/ST? I'll keep looking/reading online, maybe I can suss out the answer.

It has the same frame and engine as the S/ST with the exception of the swingarm and some minor engine changes (shorter gearing in 5th and 6th and slightly more power). Standing on the pegs wouldn't be an issue. Chain maintenance shouldn't be too much trouble, either. Put a good DID chain on it and it will last a good long time and be cheaper to replace than the belt. Obviously, a chain drive is messier, but no big deal. With the double sided swingarm, you won't need to worry about the final drive failures that some of the belt drive bikes are having. You're already familiar with the F800, so you won't have to learn a bunch of new stuff (other than the turn signals), and farkles that you have for the S will transfer right over. I say go for a test ride to make sure it's what you want and go for it.
    George

7. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.
    Like TelemarkTumalo liked this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    some other note-ables: longer wheel base (59.8 in) but I checked the height and it should fit in/under the cycle shell... unlike a GS or Triumph 800.

-tp

ps: and yes, can recycle the same canbus charger, oil filter wrench, engine spoiler... maybe even LED blinkers... HID...

Real Name
    Arne
    07-12-12
    Motorcycle
    '11 GSX1250FA
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    Chain maintenance is not messy if you use the right stuff. Go to Lowe's and pick up a can of DuPont Multi-Purpose lubricant (Teflon) and give your chain a squirt every thousand miles, more often if you ride in the rain. Wunderlich Ergo screen makes highway speeds much easier and enjoyable. In town and commuting the F8R is hard to beat.
    Silence is Golden but Duct Tape is Silver.
    2010 F800R - 2011 GSX1250FA 

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Thanks RadMan was hoping to hear from you.

-tp

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    lined up a test ride on an R for the 29th -- there's an august promo for free ABS... (900 off).
    hope the weather cooperates enough...

-tp

Real Name
    Jim
    02-08-14
    Curious if anyone here has gone from the S to the R.

I'm entertaining the idea of a more upright rider for my next bike.

Did I read (somewhere?) that the peg location is the same between S/R/ST?

Feel free to straighten me out (up!) with your input here.

TIA,
    -tp
    The F800r is certainly not a downgrade from the 'S'. The F800r is exactly what it's marketed as. It's a commuter/city bike.

I've taken one out all day. It had many MANY benefits for those who will primarily do city driving and commuting.

First Off, It's very light and nimble as there is no fairing to add excess weight on the front. It seems to dive less in hard braking.
    The R is also, as another has mentioned, geared differently. It's 6th gear is like the S/ST 5th gear. It seems to have more power at lower speeds.
    The R is narrower and (in states that allow it or where you dare) lane splitting/sharing is very graceful and easier than a bigger bike.

Observations and suggestions....

Get the optional flyscreen and even consider the laminar lip attachment. Otherwise you will feel a lot of wind resistance.
    It's an awesome canyon carver. Because it is so light, it makes the twisties even more fun.
    While it can do longer distance rides, it's home in the city.
    You're less likely to get popped for excessive speed on this as the gearing is more for power and quick starts from a stop.
    At stop lights people think it's a pretty cool bike.

Best.

Jimmy

13. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.
    Like st3vie, Bounty320i liked this post.

08-17-14
    I'm disgusted that Teep is even contemplating the idea.....

15. Like Teep liked this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    I was waiting for your seal of approval!

...and yes, a large part of my motivation here is to leave a battle scarred 2007 behind. I am just pushing up the departure date at the moment.

-tp

08-17-14
    You just painted the old girl.

Have you no shame ?

18. Like Teep liked this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    it's better to regret something you have done ...

-tp

Real Name
    Steve
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Teep, I had a R as a loaner, when the ST was in for a service. I found it a bit of a pain on the highway as it's revving a bit higher, I was forever looking for a higher gear, and there's more wind blast. Mind you, it's easier to throw around than the ST.
    And there lies the other problem, you'll be forever looking for really twisty roads to have lots of fun with the R. For example, my dealer is about 30mins from home on the ST, it took me more than an hour to get there on the R .

Oh, look out for roundabouts, you'll love them and go hunting for them on the R.

I'm sure the pegs are in the same position and the 'bars are slightly higher than the ST.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift
    (that's why it's called "the present")
    #1 tip I ride by: Ride as though you're invisible, not invincible
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue 

21. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Arne
    07-12-12
    Motorcycle
    '11 GSX1250FA
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    Teep, looking forward to your thoughts after your test ride. Hope you get to have it out for a few hours.

23. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Craig S
    12-27-11
    lined up a test ride on an R for the 29th -- there's an august promo for free ABS... (900 off).
    hope the weather cooperates enough...

-tp
    Hi Teep,

Which dealer are you going to test ride with? I'm planning on buying my F800 from Max's in NH. They have been super friendly and helpful and all I've bought there so far was a pair of gloves

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Hey Craig,
    Weather permitting (watching Irene) at Max's... which leads me to wonder if their free ABS promo will be extended to September... also thinking to deal on a demo if that's an option... that's how I scored the S.

-tp

Real Name
    Craig S
    12-27-11
    Hey Craig,
    Weather permitting (watching Irene) at Max's... which leads me to wonder if their free ABS promo will be extended to September... also thinking to deal on a demo if that's an option... that's how I scored the S.
    -tp
    Hey Teep,

Looking at their web site they have quite a few F8R's maybe you'll get a good deal? They have 2 brand new 2011's in NH (6 between their 3 stores) and they have one used 2011 with only 1100 miles on it in NH which was probably a demo (3 others also low mileage 2011's in their NY store).

Did you mention you're going to test ride on the 29th? I am not sure but I thought Max's was closed on Mondays and the 29th is a Monday so check that before you waste a trip up there.

I was going to test ride the 800ST and 800R next month but after hearing how the F8R has lower gearing that probably rules it out for me as I have 90 miles round trip commute and probably 80 miles is highway with not too much traffic so I think the ST would be better for me. I'll probably ride the F8R just for comparison purposes.

27. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Yes, they are open the Monday before the holiday weekend. So said the E-Newsletter and confirmed with my contact.

Today I got the LED turns & brake light swapped out of the S, pulled off the engine spoiler and cleaned a couple years worth of grime from underneath it.

Hope to get more then 3500 in trade this time around!

-tp

Real Name
    Craig S
    12-27-11
    Yes, they are open the Monday before the holiday weekend. So said the E-Newsletter and confirmed with my contact.

Today I got the LED turns & brake light swapped out of the S, pulled off the engine spoiler and cleaned a couple years worth of grime from underneath it.

Hope to get more then 3500 in trade this time around!

-tp
    Cool! Let us know what you think after your test ride.

30. Like Teep liked this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Thanks to the insight here, been keeping the S in 5th gear on the highway. It does not seem to be an issue on the 5-10mins of daily highway miles.

Irene however does seem to be an issue, unless she hurries the f'up here!

Gotta remember to swap out the low pitch horn... waffling on whether or not to pull the HID, partly because I did such a nice tight install and partly because I'm afraid to lose the clip putting the stock bulb in. Would be a nice gift to the next owner. I might leave the (used) center stand I put on it too, as she's real pretty with good posture.

S to R swap is gonna come down to two things I'm sure... whether the ergos on the test ride and the trade-in offer matches up to where i'd like to be.
    If not, I'll be well content to ride out the season and sell it privately in the spring...

-tp

Real Name
    Ross
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Will the R fit in your cycle shell if it's on its side-stand?
    Formerly on a Lahar Grey F800S, but after 47,000 happy miles it was traded in for a new Midnight Black F800ST. Slowly converting it back to an S, though, and have added my tinted S screen and grab handles, my old Akropovic slip-on and a low beam HID. Now all I need is the front forks upgraded again!... 

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Dunno yet
    If it's < 56" yeah... specs read 45.7" w/o mirrors...

-tp

07-31-14
    George

35. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    You're too cool George thanks!

was a tough weekend here... a good friend passed away and my uncle went into the ICU, and so I stayed close to home. would have loved to ride but got a ton of yard work done which after a storm is key.

I also fixed up the blown hatch strut on the GTI. Got a kit for the stop bumper springs so I can now pop the hatch open with the key fob.

oh yeah, we washed both cars too and the dog played squeak toy with a frog or toad and gave us a momentary scare going all mouth foamy...

So, I emailed my contact at Max and sent my regrets... about missing the free ABS clean sweep incentive... He was very understanding and said they'd take care of me when the time comes. After the holiday.

-tp

ps: forgot to mention... I pulled the booster plug.

05-22-12
    Also don't forget that the mighty "r" has 2 horsepower more!!

38. Like Teep liked this post.

07-31-14
    was a tough weekend here.
    I'm sorry you lost your friend and to hear about your uncle. Hope he's doing ok.

At least you got some things accomplished. Them damned toads taste awful.

Let us know how the thing is without the booster plug.

Good luck with the trade-in.
    George

40. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    heading up Saturday... weather permitting.

-tp

08-17-14
    keep your chin up mate....

43. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Ross
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    ^ What he said...

Feel better, fella!
    Formerly on a Lahar Grey F800S, but after 47,000 happy miles it was traded in for a new Midnight Black F800ST. Slowly converting it back to an S, though, and have added my tinted S screen and grab handles, my old Akropovic slip-on and a low beam HID. Now all I need is the front forks upgraded again!... 

45. Thanks Teep thanked for this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    thanks gentlemen... my uncle is out of the hospy, amazing they can do surgery on your noggin one week and you're home healing the next. as for my friend, he'll not soon be forgotten.

in the mean time, I checked the motorrad us site - september promos mentions the free abs (900 off dealer incentive) for the R continues (in stock models I assume)

-tp

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315675782.625675.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	28017  

08-17-14

49. Like Scorch liked this post.

Real Name
    Ross
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    *whispers* Wait 'til he sees the chain!...

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    George, you need a spare belt?
    -tp

07-31-14
    Thanks, Teep, but I probably won't have the bike long enough to need it. I'll be moving on to something else, maybe an R1200R.<shrug>

Congratulations on the new one. It's probably better for the commuter wars and you'll have some warranty peace of mind.
    George

Real Name
    Arne
    07-12-12
    Motorcycle
    '11 GSX1250FA
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    Congrats Teepster. Me thinks you'll like it.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    George, they had put a R1200R right next to the 800R I was testing. My friend at the dealers admitted "this is strategically placed" I threw a leg over it only, it's a beautiful bike but not what I was trying to do here. Also, I thought I read somewhere you're done w/BMW's?

Arne - thanks I think you're right.

More details to come... bike gets dropped/swapped Friday...

-tp

Real Name
    Sandro P
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800S
    A guy pulled up to our Niagara ride with a spanking new Red R1200R. Its a seriously impressively good looking bike!

Admittedly, have a soft spot for this bike as its the first BMW I "noticed" when shopping for a bike 3 years ago. But never really seen one since.

Im not convinced its as much "fun" to ride as an 800, but I'll have to take one out to figure it out.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    I could not imagine doing my commute on it. I could imagine being retired, with my SO on the pillion, taking a long ride off into the sunset.

-tp

ps: both R's (8/12) out on display had *roasted* tires from a stint at a recent trackday.

07-31-14
    Also, I thought I read somewhere you're done w/BMW's? -tp
    Well, if I stumbled onto the right R1200R, it'd be a sore temptation. I've wanted one since they came out in 07. My beef with BMW is that their quality seems to have slipped. Cheap bearings, no grease, lousy fuel strips, bad pumps and blah, blah, blah and now their assembly quality seems to be going to hell. They've always built beta bikes, that's nothing new. You should wait until the fourth year of production to buy any BMW model, but this seems different. I dunno.
    George

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    I hear you George. I'm relieved to leave the 07 for an 11 with 3 more years of worry free operation, roadside assistance included.

So as my story goes, I took the 800R onto the campus of my alma mater, a ride that features plenty of stop and go traffic, some highway miles and twisty two lane routes. The seating position is familiar from the waist down, same knee bend, but more flat footed at stop lights and bars within easy reach all the while. Still they are forward enough so that you're not in total lean back cruiser territory, sporty when desired. Frontwinds seemed not too much different then the S, with it's short screen and higher seating... still the R will likely take 10mph off the top of my riding, which is part of my intent here too. Standing on the (metal!) pegs is slightly less precarious then the S, but the tanks design reminds you not to stay up there for any real length of time. I'm excited for a future "en plein air" and was actually surprised by how much the faux tank acts as a faring for your midsection.

Powerplant is familiar, but a lot less noisy then the 07, it was surprisingly quiet. The top gearing differences I think will play well with where I spend most of my highway cruising at. On the S, it always seems as soon as I take 6th I have to come back to 5th to negotiate congestion. Gearbox was a delicate and delightful change from the 14K thunk and clunk of the S. Seemed like there was less drive train lash then the S, no slower, no faster. Front springs feel familiar, a bit of a dive in a quick stop, but when you're not right ontop of them, not a problem. Braking was terrific of course, but with the tires at track pressures, not a chance to set off the ABS. The stock can, although miles prettier the the stock S/ST cans, is still a bit large in diameter (read: heavy) and although has more character in sound stock, has an overall "farty" nature.

The S is prepped for the drop/swap, with today's final task of taking out the low pitch horn I installed thanks to a tip from this board... It'll go on the R to replace the same cheap squeaky stock honker.

More on the deal aspect and any last words on the S after I take delivery.
    VERY pleased with how that went, the folks at Max BMW rock.

-tp

07-31-14
    I think you made the right move. The nice thing is that everything you know about the S transfers right over to the R. No learning curve. Powerplant is quieter because it's new and there's no fairing to reflect the noise up to you. *tsk* How will you know it's running?
    George

Real Name
    Steve
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    How's the search for roundabouts going????
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift
    (that's why it's called "the present")
    #1 tip I ride by: Ride as though you're invisible, not invincible
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue 

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    steve - there was 1 on the test ride... which I hit twice.

-tp

Real Name
    Ross
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    steve - there was 1 on the test ride... which I hit twice.
    For future reference, you should try going around it next time

63. Like Corbets liked this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    I was pretending I was on a GS! chain & all.

-tp

65. Like Scorch liked this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    oops, thought I posted these yesterday... too busy here for words but here's VADER!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vader-chainside.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	28159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vader-canside.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	28160

"You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!"
    ―Obi-Wan Kenobi to Anakin Skywalker, shortly after the latter's transformation into Darth Vader

-tp

67. Like Scorch liked this post.

Real Name
    Sandro P
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800S
    oops, thought I posted these yesterday... too busy here for words but here's VADER!

"You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!"
    ―Obi-Wan Kenobi to Anakin Skywalker, shortly after the latter's transformation into Darth Vader

-tp
    Do you get out much?

69. Dislike Autonomous disliked this post.

Real Name
    Teep
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    haha, grabbed that off a wiki once I decided on the name

-tp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast