BMW F800 Forum banner

2013 BMW F800GS - One of the BEST bikes Ever!

227K views 737 replies 73 participants last post by  Numbercruncher 
#1 ·
Today was pick up day for me and my new F800. Our garage is back to being normal with 2 bikes in it. I started the Best Bike ever for the 650's and thought why not start this one.

Have nothing to report yet as far as trips, but both out bikes have ESA and ASC. I prefer the comfy mode on the highway. In any case...post your stories, your rides, farkles etc...and let's all learn how these bikes break in!

Picked up my bike on the rainiest day we have had in months!

We took the stock tires off right away and installed K60 Scouts

Our family

See less See more
#6 ·
This may be a one-off Leslie, but looking at the first video I notice that the side stand is down whilst the bike is up on the centre stand. If it's not a one-off then I'd get in the habit of always putting up the side stand as soon as you've got the bike up on the centre stand. If not - one day you're going to roll the bike foward off the centre stand, the ground won't be even and it'll catch the side stand. Result - bikey fall down or worse still, side stand ends up on your boot. Ouch!!!

Congrats on the new bike anyway - trust you'll have lots of fun and adventures on it. Maybe Cheryl can take a photo from the side of you sitting on the bike stationary? Just to satisfy my idle curiosity I'd like to see how flat-footed you are - or not - whichever is the case. [:)]

#7 ·
you are funny Alan...the first video was at the dealer and my sales rep put the bike up...yep side stand is always down as it is in our garage right now while on the centre stand. BTW...the new centre stand makes this bike a piece of cake getting up. I am getting my seat modified this week. Right now when the ESA is in comfy mode I can get two feet down but as I always ride and stop with my foot on the rear break...I fit this bike the same way I did the Tiger. After the seat mod I should be able to get more footing with the nose of the seat shaved a bit. Going to get a gel insert too. As we progress I will post more pictures. For now...we need to get my luggage on and the temperature controller install ASAP for me to be able to ride this to work.

#10 ·
Just exactly what you spoke about...Usually our bikes are on the side stand when we park but when up on the centre I leave the side stand down because as we all know when getting up in the morning to commute there might be a time or two that I am not totally conscious and having it down saves from any mistakes. We have always done this for years. Bike on centre stand = side stand down too.

#14 ·
I see BMW has switched to using olive oil for brake fluid. [lol]

Congratulations on your new bike. It looks like you are almost ready to tackle some more trips next year. All you need are some more farkles. [:D]

Reactions: soph9
#18 ·
Congratulations Leslie! Good for you both! And what do you think of the color? That's what I've ordered but have so far only seen it in photos. What's it like in real life?

Did you guys change the tires yourselves? That's something I'm going to have to learn, for sure.

Happy Trails to you!

#24 ·

Here is the temp controller installed on my bike. Cheryl did a great job getting me set up today. Luggage installed, mudsling, temp controller and got my tank bag on. Risers come tomorrow and on Wednesday I am riding down to AltRider to get my crash bars installed and bring home Cheryl's. We also are getting their plexiglass headlamp protector as well. Just waiting on Barkbusters because we want their Storm guards this time around. And we will most likely wait for Cee Bailey to release their new mold for the 2013. We really like their shield the best.

#26 ·
we need more pics! We installed quite a few things yesterday...luggage is on...recycled from our 650's, temperature controller, fork seal protectors, new grip wraps to make them a little thicker and more comfy, my tank bag, not a big install....going down to get my seat fitted I hope today instead of Thursday.

We got the MOD kickstand enlarger and skid plate put on as part of our deal...at the dealer

And the ever handy mudsling

#27 ·
Black or silver is probably not going to make much difference in inside temp, I agree. For some reason I prefer the silver, but black would look good too.

I know what you mean about vistas; happens to me too when I'm in my FJ Cruiser. I'm getting better about going back, but I still kick myself over lost shots.

#30 ·
First off, I'd like to give a huge shout-out to Leslie and everyone else here for unknowingly being the biggest help ever during my shopping process [bow]. I've got my very own Kalamata F800GS on a ship coming into a New Jersey port soon, and hopefully into my dealer soon after that.[ride] I'm getting started farkleshopping now so my dealer can install the tougher bits for me. All the photos and information gathering that you folks have done continue to prove invaluable to me as a first time shopper.

This is my first post after lurking in the unregistered shadows for a couple months now, but rest assured I'll be posting pics as soon as I pick up my new baby from the shop![lol]

Leslie: One point I was hoping I could get you to clarify, your bike is not lowered, correct? I see the center stand so I'm assuming that's the case. I can't quite flatfoot on the F800GS, so I was hoping I could get you to elaborate on what precisely you're having done to the seat as well as any other height-accommodation measures you're taking.

Also, I'm pretty sold on the AltRider crash bars and am eager to see how your choice in finish fits with the Kalamata, I've got my card out ready to order right now![deal] As far as the rest of the fun bits - I've got about another two weeks until I can expect to pick my bike up so that's plenty of time to learn from your experience. :yo:

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your wisdom - you've been a HUGE help. I'm looking forward to hanging around and learning lots more![;)]

PS. Yes, I know, I'm enjoying the emoticons way too much. Leave me alone, this is my first post - Im allowed to go overboard [:D]

#34 ·
First off, I'd like to give a huge shout-out to Leslie and everyone else here for unknowingly being the biggest help ever during my shopping process [bow]. I've got my very own Kalamata F800GS on a ship coming into a New Jersey port soon, and hopefully into my dealer soon after that.[ride] I'm getting started farkleshopping now so my dealer can install the tougher bits for me. All the photos and information gathering that you folks have done continue to prove invaluable to me as a first time shopper.

This is my first post after lurking in the unregistered shadows for a couple months now, but rest assured I'll be posting pics as soon as I pick up my new baby from the shop![lol]

Leslie: One point I was hoping I could get you to clarify, your bike is not lowered, correct? I see the center stand so I'm assuming that's the case. I can't quite flatfoot on the F800GS, so I was hoping I could get you to elaborate on what precisely you're having done to the seat as well as any other height-accommodation measures you're taking.

Also, I'm pretty sold on the AltRider crash bars and am eager to see how your choice in finish fits with the Kalamata, I've got my card out ready to order right now![deal] As far as the rest of the fun bits - I've got about another two weeks until I can expect to pick my bike up so that's plenty of time to learn from your experience. :yo:
[:D]
WOW first post on this thread! Welcome. I am going to see if I can drop my seat off tomorrow after I get back from Seattle seeing AltRider. I will post pics of what the seat grrl decides what is best for me but we both agree the nose of the seat needs to be shaved so it is narrower by the faux tank. That will help with my situation right now. My thighs are being pushed outward making my inseam shorter than it really is. I know many who have had this done and that is all they needed. I might also have a gel pad added. Once I get the seat I will post if it works the way I hope. I am used to not being flat footed. Never have been on these bikes and was on the balls of my feet riding the Triumph Tiger 800XC. I lasted 15,000 KM on that bike riding on roads that at times I would not call roads. Not totally the best situation but I have learned to adjust how I stop, how I back up etc...

Welcome again and hope when you get your bike we will see some pictures!

#31 ·
Hi Tony!

Welcome out from the lurking shadows!

Obviously I'm not Leslie, but I do know that her bike is NOT lowered. But she and Cheryl are tough cookies who I wouldn't want to tangle with. They've got the experience and confidence to manage those higher bikes. I'll let Leslie describe what she's having done to her seat.

I've got a lowered suspension Kalamata bike coming and I will have it for the start of our spring season. Here's my understanding of the pros and cons of a lowered bike...

Once you're in motion, there's not much difference between the two other than for slightly less ground clearance on the lowered bike. I'm not planning on doing anything more challenging than some dirt and gravel roads and trails and won't be doing any stump jumping stuff. I can live with a little less ground clearance.

Stopping is another thing. Unfortunately we DO have to stop from time to time and how often that is depends on the conditions where we ride. I have one bike (with low seat) which I CAN flat foot on level ground, but there have been numerous times when even on pavement, I have only managed to get the ball of one foot on the ground because of slants/dips in the road. So for my own comfort level and feeling of safety, I don't want higher. On the new F800GS I've ordered, I will be higher than I'd like (even on level ground only the balls of my feet will touch the ground) but I think (and hope) that I'll be able to manage it. And that's with the lowered suspension and low seat. If that doesn't work for me, I'll have no option but to go with something lower or keep only my current bike (which I'm not replacing).

Emoticons? What emoticons? :)

#35 ·
A tire changer is a great purchase for anyone that puts significant mileage on their bikes. I bought a NoMar tire changer last year for around $500 delivered to my shop. I also have a Mar Parnel balancer for about $150. I've changed 18 tires on our four bikes since I bought it. Figure $50 a tire (a low estimate) = $900 I also find that it makes managing tires easier. For example, going back and forth between street tires and knobbies; or starting a trip of 5000 miles when you have tires with about 3000 miles of life remaining on your bike. I can take partially used tires off the bike, put new ones on for a long trip and then later reuse the original tires. People are reluctant to do this sort of thing when it costs extra cash. Get a tire changer; you will not regret it.

#37 ·
If I had four bikes I'd probably want to do it myself as well, regardless of a cost issue. Especially if it then allowed me to make tire changes such as you describe. I haven't gotten it yet, but with my new F800GS I'd really love the ability to easily change back and forth between knobbies and something a little more suitable for pavement. I had been thinking of a second set of wheels (that would be the best and easiest solution) but geez, wheels are EXPENSIVE!!

I am surprised though at your "low estimate" of $50 per tire to have a professional do it. That's really high. As I just said to Leslie, around here there's a choice of places that'll do it for $30 per tire. And that's Canadian dollars too! :)

Cheers!

#39 ·
Congrats on the new bikes.!! I like it in white too. ( my 2011 is white)
I see you stayed with your Jesse's. Best looking panniers IMHO ( I have the Safari's too in black)
What feels different/better than your 650's?
Also saw you went with the Scout tires again. I am running them in mine and have about 4000 miles on them and I have to say they are pretty solid and wearing well altho the rear is a bit squared off due to my 1500 mile AZ to Montana run this summer ( more pavement than dirt ) I was thinking of trying the TKC's when these are shot but I may just go with the Scouts again. Any difference with the rear or do they still have the solid center strip on the 150's?

Thanks for sharing and ride safe !!

#40 ·
I have so much to report today...just got back from a 550 KM short trip to Seattle and back. Went to AltRider...it was beautiful out and my ESA got a great test. I have to think about what to say to be honest because I am really psyched we bought these bikes and I can now truly compare them to the Triumph Tiger 800XC. BMW has done some really smart things with the 2013...more in a bit....

#41 ·
I have to think about what to say to be honest because I am really psyched we bought these bikes and I can now truly compare them to the Triumph Tiger 800XC. BMW has done some really smart things with the 2013...more in a bit....
My '13 F800GS is on order and it ended up a shoot-out between that and the 800XC... the BMW won so don't take too long to post your observations [;)]

#43 ·
Today was a great day to ride to AltRider. Why? It was not raining, cool enough to turn on a little heat, traffic wasn't too bad, the AltRider gang were extremely friendly and helpful and I got to test out the ESA on the "infamous" I-5 from the border to Seattle.

I-5 at the best of times usually makes a rider wish they had a kidney belt. For some reason this road almost all the way from BC to Seattle have these annoying ripples and grooves. Why am I talking about the road conditions? This is where I could really tell that the ESA settings make a difference.

If you ever read my review about the Tigers you will notice I talk about the road comfort that the Tiger's give the rider. I referred to the Tigers as a very sound street bike with decent off road capabilities. Remember this is just my opinions which really could mean absolutely nothing to anyone other than me.[:D]

My bike before the crash guards and headlamp protector. Had to stop at a rest stop. Anyway...back to the ESA. The Triumph Tiger + Triumph's gel seats we used rocked on the road. Made the Tigers feel like a super sport bike. The suspension on the Tiger ate up the imperfections in the roads up in Alaska.

BMW now has ESA. All the way down from BC to AltRider I played with ESA. Biggest difference is between the Sport setting and Comfortable. Can't really tell the difference that normal does in comparison to the comfy setting.

When on comfy the bad Washington I-5 felt great. You can feel the difference switching between Sport and Comf. This is where I smiled because it felt as good as the Tigers. The low seat I tolerated pretty well if I do say so myself.[;)] I actually was able to ride for 3 hours straight before my butt said stand or take a break. Triumph gel seats kick ass! No pun intended. That is where BMW really needs to make improvements. Adjustable seat height and a better stock seat or upgrade available at the time of purchase. It annoys me that I have to tweak the BMW seats.

The ESA suspension makes the new F8 more road friendly, less vibrations and actually feels like a sport touring bike. Change the setting to Sport and you get a stiffer more firmer ride. Makes sense. Glad we got both bikes with this feature because we ride on the pavement so much.

So, to continue to compare the Tigers to the 2013 F8...I would say the BMW can ride like the Tigers on the street and even better if you get a great seat. Then, I would say they are almost equal. Where BMW is ahead of Triumph is the simple handle bar controls, simple on off ABS/Traction Control and just the dash in general. I am sure Triumph will add this feature soon. For the price the BMW seems to be a better deal if you get the ESA.

Again for Cheryl and me street comfort is important and that was one big reason we may have bought the Tiger this time around. The ESA has been a very pleasant surprise and since we have been able to transfer our luggage and some other farkles I am very pleased we bought this bike. There is no doubt in mind and I have said this before, the F800 will be better off road than the Tigers. That only means something if you really take these bikes off road. For what we do both the Tiger and F800 will do what we want.

I also confirmed my need for riser which we have and ready to be installed.

This is Eric. When I arrived at AltRider Megan greeted me and introduced me to Eric and I am so bad with names, a very nice woman who takes care of their media/PR stuff. Once someone tells me her name I will post it. She was sweet too. Megan had everything ready for my guards and head light protector to be installed initially by Eric and then the owner Jeremy got involved too.

They worked on my bike right in the parking lot.[:D]

Half the guard installed.

They have a really interesting way to connect the bar across the radiator. Two pieces put together with a steel tube.

They look like they will have pretty good coverage for when we dump these bikes.

Jeremy and Eric having a chat and then Jeremy took over while Eric went back into their shop.

It was just a nice day down there. Good conversations, sharing of stories about the ADV world, what's hot and what's not...love hearing opinions about accessories and all sorts of juicy stuff. JK!:rolleyes:

Initially we got the BMW head light guard but BMW does not seem to think you need an anti-glare piece that goes across the plexiglass. WE sent it back and Jeremy installed mine. Again pretty nice he was able to do this for me as well as Eric. Well, they offered and I did not say no.[:D]

I love doing this a second time around. I have done more research, trying to by the best quality out there and at the same time just trying to protect our investment.

Inspecting his own work....

This turned out to be like a BLOG post. Hmmmm....copy and paste to the BLOG plus a few more pics and I am done. So, in a nutshell...today proved to me we made the right decision, I made the right decision buying the regular height F800 too. There were plenty of uneven, bad parking decisions today where I found a way to not dump the bike. Just did what I did on the Tiger. Adjust my ass towards the side the bike was going to lean. I know I will dump this bike due to being short....but I like the height.

OH....and why we like this version of the 800 versus our 650? I just love the top end power to pass those big ass trucks in 5th and 6th gear. The pick up is so much fun...it was just a good day.

Tomorrow morning I am heading down to Vancouver to meet Janice from Slim Signature Seats to see if she can make my seat just right. That will be another post as I am crossing my fingers she can get a little more of me feet down and make a more comfy saddle.

Questions? LOL[lol]

#48 ·
... OH....and why we like this version of the 800 versus our 650? I just love the top end power to pass those big ass trucks in 5th and 6th gear. The pick up is so much fun...it was just a good day.

... [lol]

The F800GS has those extra 14 ponies up at the high end of the RPM range, but is also geared more aggressively than the F658GS...

17/41 vs. 16/42

Did y'all ever mess around with the gearing on the 650s?

Nice to get a second-chance to optimize the farkles! [lol]

#44 ·
Interesting to read your GS/XC comparison. I thought the XC engine was too 'street' for a dual purpose bike, and like you say didn't want to be reaching to the dash for ABS switching etc. Loved that XC seat though. Damn. Thanks for sharing the intel on the ESA, that's good to know [:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.