BMW F800 Forum banner

Cross Country USA Ride

17K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Discflight 
#1 ·
Mark's Cross Country USA Ride

I have been planning a cross country ride for the past year. Shipped my bike last week and it is expected to arrive in Salem, Virginia later this week. My Dad turns 80, and a surprise party is scheduled for this upcoming Saturday. After a few days with family and friends, I'll start my journey back to Oregon. I've allowed myself two weeks. Hope to see some places I've never visited including Michigan's UP, Boundary Waters of Minn., Black Hills in South Dakota and Jackson, Wyoming. No concrete plans beside the first couple of days.... Roanoke to Asheville, NC via Blue Ridge Parkway. Second day, on to Deal's Gap and the TOTD. If I survive that, likely on to Nashville to visit an old friend. Perhaps Graceland since I'm that close. From there, north through Illinois and Michigan before turning westward again. I'll do my best to avoid slab, have 50/50 tires so I can explore the roads less taken. When time and internet access allow, I'll post on here. My riding is scheduled to begin Sept. 22. See you down the road.

Where do I sit?

Actually that blue bag has my riding gear, and helmet is in the tail bag.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hiya, I went through part of the Black Hills and when I attempted to go see the fat heads on the mountain I found the vendor charges 11 bucks to park at Mt Rushmore. Appalled, I left and just saw the dead guys from the roadway.
What a deal in America, you gotta pay to see a National monument. F that!
Otherwise the back roads are a great idea.

#3 ·
Will you be camping?

Is that a Kitchen Sink I see...? [:D]

#5 ·
Sounds like fun trip! Just a heads up this late in the season for here in Wyoming. On September 11 we had snow here in Gillette,WY on the ground. So all the high passes and mountain roads had snow! Just keep an eye on the weather, let me know if you get close and if you need anything. Be safe

#8 ·
It is a beautiful day here, too. 70 degrees and no rain. (insert sad face here)

#9 ·
Mark-

I live on the edge of the Boundary Waters near Ely. Drop me a line if you're in the neighborhood and I'll take you for a paddle. You could consider the Echo Trail (about 50 miles of it gravel) as part of your crossing of Northern MN.

Weather looks good next week- if I'm not around I'll be on the bike or on the water......

#10 ·
My trip is underway and I'm currently overnighting in Jackson, Minnesota. Day seven of this trip. I'll try to catch up as I had been neglecting posts on here because of photo upload issues. Thanks to Devon for helping me get this sorted.

My trip began with travel back home to see my family and celebrate my Dad's birthday. This was over a year in planning his birthday and I decided to take the opportunity to do a bike tour as well. The bike shipper was a few days late picking the bike up from me, but got it to Virginia on time with only scuffs on the right hand guard, bar end and mirror. They denied responsibility. C'est la vie... Anyway, it was great catching up with family and turned into a bit of a reunion for several days in advance, all of us making sure we didn't cross paths with my Dad, who only lives a few miles from my sister. We surprised him at a local restaurant with multiple generations represented. He is an awesome guy, my hero and still my best friend. We all had a blast.

Lots of early morning and late night talks with the family. But, I was getting anxious to start my bike journey. I pushed off on Monday, Sept. 22.

Day #1. Smith Mountain Lake to Asheville, NC. 284 miles

I decided to begin the trip with a low key run south along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had easy access from my Dad's place near Wirtz and traveled Hwy 122 to Hwy 40 and entered the parkway near Floyd, VA. The weather was clear and just a touch cool. Quiet day on the BRP. Little traffic and great visibility at overlooks.

Mabry Mill

Stopped by the Blue Ridge Music Center at Mile Post 213. They try to have live music most days of the year, and the museum is filled with mountain and folk music history and memorabilia.

I finished the day arriving in Asheville, NC. Leaving the slow, sweeping 45 mph curves of the BRP and entered downtown Asheville looking for lodging and some food. Pulled over to the curb downtown and started punching in lodging options on my Garmin. A young fellow approached me with a greeting and immediately identified himself as a monk. I can't recall of what. Appraising me, he said that I looked like a "storm trooper". I laughed and said that I was there to liberate no one but myself. He mentioned some lodging places and then asked if I would accept some of his religious books for a small donation. I found my hotel, showered and took a walk through downtown. Asheville is definitely unique for a southern town and quite beautiful. Great start for my ride.

#11 ·
Day #2 Asheville, NC to Nashville, TN

A cool start to the day, but warmed quickly. I decided to depart from the comfy confines of the Blue Ridge Parkway to explore some local backroads. Punched in my coordinates on the GPS and promptly got redirected heading north. Unfortunately, it was 8 am and I got hung up on the wrong side of town at rush hour. Bummer, but after a 45 min. detour, I finally found my way onto Hwy 74 headed in my intended direction SW. Stopped for gas and coffee in "Historic Waynesville" and continued on this beautiful 4 lane, freshly minted blacktop that was like a magic carpet. Very few businesses and not many towns or homes. I was a bit confused as to why such a luscious road to seemingly nowhere. Soon though, the 4 lane ended, the sweepers became tight turns, and the shoulders narrower. I quickly realized I wasn't in Manhattan... or Kansas.

At Topton, I picked up 129 heading north. Got to Deal's Gap shortly before noon. The excitement was palpable as I rolled in to the resort.

Quite the mix of riders and bikes. Harleys, trikes, sport bikes and home made something or others. Fun!

It is a strange environment, clearly an invited challenge for all present. There were a few police present, chatting with some of the leather clad bikers. One of the veterans told me that the cops were there mostly as presence, but also to keep the Japanese car Drifters under control. I contributed to the local economy hoping it would improve my karma and off I went. It was indeed fun as I roared up the hill and sped into the first few curves. Then, I remembered that I was on a loaded 600 lb GS with 50/50 tires, and I really need to arrive at the other end in one piece. No holding back though on some of the other riders. There were several bikes with number plates on the front and speed humps on their backs. There were there to attack this like a race course. Not for me with oncoming folks frequently crossing the yellow line. No businesses or homes on this route. Just a few pull outs to allow passing.

The ride is indeed fun, but it is also in some beautiful countryside.

I arrived on the north end jazzed and stopped for some liquid refreshment. Reorganized my thoughts and direction with a goal of making it to Nashville by dark. One of my old friends lives there and I was determined to surprise him. Managed to snake my way north and west, but eventually succumbed to I-40 for the last hour and bombed into Nashville. My first several stops for a hotel were met with "No, we have no rooms. Tom Petty is in town". As in, get real dude.... it is Tom Petty... and you want a room? Managed to find a vacancy just across from the Tennessee Titans stadium. Even got to take a dip in their guitar shaped pool.

Rang up my friend Ted only to find that his land line was disconnected. Bummer. Remembered the name of his work and left an after hours request for him to call me back the next am. Dinner at the German Haus down the street was forgettable but filling. At least the Weihenstephaner was good.

#13 ·
Day #3 Nashville, TN to Seymour, IN

Early morning run in Nashville. Not used to running in metropolitan environments, but I survived. Contacted my friend's office and actually talked to a living person. She must have believed that I was legit, and after several Hon's and Sweetie's reassurances, Ted called me back. As luck would have it, he was on his way from his daughter's school drop off to the hospital where he works. Ted and I worked together in Bend for several years. One of the most positive people I have ever met. He and I have some mountain biking to do in Colorado. Great to catch up with him and my second surprise visit of this trip. :thumb:

Left Nashville at mid-morning heading north on I-65 to make time, but lost interest quickly. Found Hwy 31W which was much better. Rural scenery through Tenn. and into Kentucky. The typical large horse farms and spreads. Saw this sign on a fence post.

A bit of a challenge getting through Bowling Green, but skirted some noon time traffic. Caught Hwy 101 N to Hwy 259 and on to Sweeden (yes 2 e's), Bee Spring, and lunch in Meredith. They made me a nice custom sandwich at a mom 'n pop mini mart type place. Better than expected. At Leitchfield, I jumped on the Kentucky Parkway, not knowing it was really a super-slab. Got caught in one of those surprise "Right Lane Must Turn Only" situations and clearly entertained a couple of good ole' boys in an adjacent lane Ford Pickup, as I did a Fred Flintstone pedal stop. I had to laugh at myself.

Crossed the Ohio River into Indiana at Brandenburg (my iPod didn't have a concerto at the time) and went north on Hwy 135 through Palmyra, Salem, Vallonia and Brownstone.

Right on 50 and on to Seymour and called it a night.

The nightly ritual of checking over the bike, laundry of the essentials and walked to Brewskies, the local brew pub favorite. A fun cover band trio was entertaining. The weather thus far has been absolutely perfect. 50 ish mornings and low 80's by mid-afternoon.

#14 ·
Day #4 - Seymour, IN to Ionia, MI
326 miles

Another morning of blue sky and ideal temperature. After loading up with gear and coffee, found a nice secondary road, Highway 31 and started north. Cruising along comfortably avoiding the traffic just to the west on I-65. Quicker than I could think boo, an SUV came quickly out of a side road and ran a stop sign. I hammered the brakes and the old ABS did its thing and hauled my bike down. I stayed in my lane with another car coming toward me in the opposite lane. The SUV sped away in a cloud of dust. I caught my breath and accelerated and passed the SUV, getting in front, slowing and signalling the driver to stop. Surprisingly, she did. I got off the bike and approached her. She lowered her window and immediately started apologizing. I asked if she was ok and then asked her to slow down, take her time and be more careful. I could tell that she was genuinely shaken. Lesson to me.... be careful and stay careful.

Back underway, I sidestepped to Hwy 9 and continued on to Shelbyville for a stop at the ATM and more coffee... of course. I was entering the land of big farms... corn and soy beans after harvest. Some of the corn had already been cut to stubble. Other fields were picked but turning dormant and brown.

Making my way east of Indianapolis, Hwy 9 carried me through Anderson, Aexandria and Marion. More corn, more soy. I thought about how these fields probably extended all the way west to the front range of Colorado. Hard to imagine that with all of that corn and soy, that anyone could be starving. Hwy 9 is also known as the highway of Vice-Presidents. Most recently Mr. J. Danforth Quayle.

This was the first of many states that I rode without mandatory helmet laws. Most of the bikes I saw in general were Harleys, and most of the motorcyclists rode sans helmets. Even not considering the safety issues, the noise must be incredible. Oh well, another discussion. Regardless, it seems that bikers are a community joined by our love of bikes and riding. Almost all offered a friendly wave.

Lots of small towns, and I enjoyed the pattern of slowing and giving me time and pace to look around.

In mid-afternoon, I entered Michigan at Sturgis. Prior to leaving on my trip, I had contacted most of the states I planned to visit and received their official state maps. All responded except for Michigan. Even with my Nav IV and Google Maps on my iPhone, I really like a good old fashioned map on my tank bag. I made multiple stops looking around for a map... convenience stores, a drug store, an auto parts store, a Wal-Mart, even a small bookstore. No maps. Are these becoming obsolete? Gave up on looking in Sturgis and snaked my way north with the GPS leading me on some interesting twists and turns. Wound up on Hwy 66 heading north. Immediately noticed that the brown stubble of Indiana gave way to more trees and variation.

Thought I would give my quest for a map another chance, stopping at a Shell station on the north end of Battle Creek. Bingo! Maps galore. The gal working there was in awe of my bike and asked for a tour of the bike and gear. With a print in front of me, I was on my way north again. My stomach was telling me it was nearing dinnertime and stopped for some pasta and camped near Ionia at Bertha Brock Campground. Very nice evening and beautiful campsites if you are passing through here.

#15 ·
Day #5 Ionia, MI to St. Ignace, MI
288 miles

Dense fog and enough dew to shower with. Visibility not good. Took my time with coffee and packing up. Stopped for a muffin and more coffee. I finally pushed on and found truck lights to follow.... slow going but felt ok. Finally, saw some lifting and suddenly burst out into blue sky. I stopped at a pull out to adjust one of my ear plugs and had a nice talk with a MI State trooper who was set up with radar. Nice guy who said that he was thinking about getting back into riding. He had a common story of selling his H-D when kids, family and work issues didn't mix with his hobby. Back underway, it was a gorgeous morning, perfect temperature and a series of nice small towns along Hwy. 66. Noticing signs of color in the trees too.

Stopped in Lake City for brunch, and noticed a Lamp Fail signal. The high beam was kaput. I replaced the low beam last month and should have replace both while I was under the hood. Food and a study of the maps, and then a trip to the local auto part store for an H7 bulb. $10.50. Roughly half of what I paid at the Portland BMW shop. Note to self. Decided to head toward Lake Michigan, and took Hwy 72 to Elk Rapids, then north on Hwy 31 to Charlevoix. Gorgeous views of the lake.

Some increased traffic as I entered Petoskey. Pretty little downtown area and a park along the bay. North of town, I caught Hwy 119 winding along the water. Mostly one lane and very nice through the trees with dappled light and peeks of the lake. About 25-30 miles. Lots of bikes on here. Very cool.

A little spot for a break.

At Cross Village, I took C66 east to I-75 north and across the Mackinac Bridge

From the north side, Lake Huron to the left, Lake Michigan to the right. Quite a piece of engineering.

Rode into St. Ignace and decided to call it an early evening and get some exercise with a run. Nice views of Mackinac Island.

#17 ·
Day #6
St. Ignace, MI to Unity, WI
380 miles

Left St. Ignace with intent to run across the UP. Stopped for fuel and just down the street a McDonald's. My coffee titer was lacking so I stopped. I came outside of the restaurant to find my bike surrounded. I was game. A couple from the UP asked me about my bike and we started talking. Between the two of them, they must have owned a half dozen Beemers. Stories about a crash in Chicago and a month long run to the Florida Keys. After telling them where I was going, they told me about the Kickapoo River area of Wisconsin and that I must go there. We must have talked for a half hour. So much for my early departure. It is all good. Another fellow walked up in riding gear. He was riding a 650 Wee-Strom and was oogling my bike, wishing that he had it. He and a fellow Harley rider were touring from Ohio to Fargo and back. I told him that we might be seeing each other down the road. Those factory Suzuki hard panniers looked awesome!

I took my leave and ran along Hwy 2, along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Stopped for an awesome Pasty in Naubinway at The Country Girl Diner. You owe it to yourself.

Scenery was really nice and only mild traffic. Lots of opportunities for photo stops.

Gas up in Iron Mt., MI and stopped by the Visitor's Center. The proprietor directed me to a gift shop down the street. I pulled in behind the shop and that parking lot had a Farmer's Market going. An empty parking space invited and I rolled in. As I dismounted and shed my gear, a young man at the adjacent booth signalled me with a thank you for not revving my engine. His sleeping infant son was in a bassinet, shaded by a tent. Feeling secure about leaving my gear, I walked around the corner to the store and acquired my YOOPER sticker for my panniers. The shop owner made quite a performance of counting out my change, saying that he couldn't just slap my change in my hand. I politely nodded ok and walked past the waiting line who now appeared a bit nervous. I wonder what he would have said if I had presented exact change.

I said my good byes to beautiful Michigan and entered equally beautiful Wisconsin. The color changes were upon me and I immediately found gorgeous roads for motorcycling.

My path through Wisconsin was generally NE to SW. Entering at Niagra, I caught Route 8 at Pembine. Really nice route of secondary highway rolling along tree line with lots of tertiary entrance/exit. Lots of 4 wheel ATV roads through here and I saw hundreds with entering or exiting the side roads and trail heads. Lots of bikers too.

I had heard about the alphabet roads southwest of Rhinelander and made my way south at Brantwood. I caught this picture somewhere between Spirit and Chelsea.

Rib Lake

Catching Hwy 2 and southward bound, I stopped for some food and as light was getting low in the sky, I camped near Unity at Monster Hall. Just love that name. I drifted off like a baby with Lynyrd Skynyrd going from a camp site not far away. "So, what is your name? Little Girl, what is your name?"

#20 ·
Day #7 Unity, MI to Jackson, MN
400 miles

A nice morning and I was up with coffee going at sunup. Got the bike loaded and did my best to get out of the campground without too much noise. Back on Hwy 13 and very little Sunday morning traffic.

Just south of Marshfield, I caught Hwy 173 as it looked as if it would deliver me to the Kickapoo region. It did indeed, but must be one of the more boring roads on my trip. Straight, flat and appeared marsh-like o both sides. Oh well...

Stopped in a McDonalds in Tomah to reconnoiter and get coffee... of course. As I was getting off of the bike, a fellow walked up and engaged me after study. You know those questions that we get asked about out bikes? This was a bit unusual.

"Is that a car engine?" No. And I explained the boxer layout.
"Will she gitty-up?" Yep. No doubt.
"Man, that bike looks heavy" I chuckled and said that yes it is.

Heading inside, I grabbed coffee and spread out my map on a table next to another couple in riding gear. We struck a nice conversation. They were on Day 3 of a short bike holiday to see early fall colors and were on their way home to Milwaukee. He had just retired in April, several years earlier than expected. Said it was the best thing he had ever done and was feeling younger and healthier than in years. Note to self. We discussed my trip, visit with family and some of the recent trials of their family. A nice couple and we wished each other well, they heading east, me to the SW. I jumped on hwy 131 through Wilson and Rockton. Nice riding. Motorbikes everywhere, mostly couples, two up on Harleys. No helmets.

There were many small roads that were essentially loops through farm land. Very nice, and added some elevation change and curves. I found out that it is wise to pay attention to the smells in the area though. That was not mud I was running through at the barn turn-offs. I was getting hungry and I saw a sign for a place in LaFarge. Pulling in to the parking lot, I could see that the restaurant was closed. Two gents were sitting on the front steps conversing. I asked them if the other restaurant down the street was good. They laughed and said that I would be better off passing on this one and trying my luck further down the road. I thanked them for their insight. Back under way through Viroqua and then caught sight of the Mississippi at Genoa. A nice run north on 35 and in to La Crosse. A quick taco and back underway. As I was leaving, I fell in behind a couple on a Gold Wing pulling a trailer. Nebraska plates, so I thought we might roll along together. Crossing the river into LaCrescent, MN and on to Hwy 16. Very nice rolling road heading west and through many small towns. Unfortunately, I lost them in a small town construction detour. Wound up on Hwy 52 north, and rerouted on to Hwy 30. Into Stewartsville and crossed over I-90. Stopped at a convenience store for a coke and watched a guy cleaning the store's A/C unit. He had a 6 pack of beer and quit working when number 6 was gone. He told me that Hwy 30 would carry me at least another couple of hours west.

Debated overnighting in Mankato but decided to avoid the city. Diverted south to Blue Earth for gas (I love that name). A group of seven Harley riders were also fueling up. I struck up a conversation and they invited me to ride along. They were heading home to Sioux Falls. So off we went riding in nice formation. Cars we passed were definitely curious. Which shape does not match the others? The sun was getting low and I was getting tired. Not much of a night time rider. So, I stopped in Jackson and found a room. Nice little hotel and a small bar inside. The hotelier was also the bar tender. A nice talk about her kids and her daughter currently on a road trip heading home to Atlanta after a visit to Oregon. Small world.

#21 ·
Day #8 Jackson, MN to Rapid City, SD
437 miles

Morning was dark and gray with a steady mist of rain coming down. I readied the bike over coffee hoping that the weather would improve. No luck. I went into the town proper of Jackson and found a card shop to send some updates to friends and family. Decided to take Hwy 14 out of town and headed west. I bounced on an off I-90 several times finally getting on 38 which was more interesting. I stopped for coffee in the little town of Luverne, got some fuel and sat down with my post cards and some of their coffee that was at best the color of weak tea. Drying out and warming up a bit and I was back underway. Temps in the low 40's and steady rain kept my speed down and visibility was more difficult because I left the pin lock insert for helmet in Oregon. Oh, rookie mistake! My shield would fog and I would have to open it slightly, which let water leak in from the top, which put more moisture inside the helmet, which led to more fogging, etc, etc. Oh well, I would stop occasionally and use a towel to wipe the inside of the shield and go again. Crossing into South Dakota hear Sioux Falls and continued on Hwy 38 through the little towns of Montrose, Salem, Spencer and Farmer.

I pulled in to the town of Mitchell in a steady drizzle of rain. Stopped at a Wendy's for a hot bowl of chili. There were some tour buses in the lot with a group of folks from Wisconsin heading to Mt. Rushmore. I said hi to several people and they shook their heads about my choice of travel. I sat down with my lunch and maps. I struck up a conversation with the woman sitting next to me, asking her about locals roads, and if she could direct me to "The Corn Palace". We talked for a bit and I started gathering my gear to get back on the road. As we said our good-byes, she thanked me for taking the time to talk with her. She said that she was having a really bad day as she had just lost her brother and was still dealing with the emotional and practical aftermath of his death. I sat back down and we talked a bit more about her brother, his life and her loss. She was able to smile and I gave her a hug.

Outside, the rain was steady and I made my way downtown to find...

It was closed for the day and I couldn't look inside. I knew all that corn must be used for something. I made my way out of town and back on 38. The rain just started coming down harder. It was early afternoon and I had to laugh. At least my gear was keeping me dry and warm.

I put in my earbuds and put on some music, hit I-90 and just decided to bomb it west with destination of Bad Lands. Those tour buses I saw in Mitchell came in and out of my view several times that afternoon. Fortunately, traffic was relatively light and I was able to find my own space on the road. At 70 mph, the big GS is relatively calm and sedate, but at around 80 mph, the thing gets quite busy with lots of mechanical noise from the engine and the Akropovic pipe gets quite loud. Fuel consumption drops to around 40 mpg as well. The throttle lock was quite useful today.

My thoughts drifted back to the lady I met at lunch. I thought about our conversation and about the people that I was meeting along the course of this trip. Several people came to mind as they had given me a friendly hello, a smile, a handshake, directions and encouragement. Probably, some of the most important things that we can do for each other. I guess we never know who may need it today.

Saw my exits to the Bad Lands and it was still pouring rain. Decided that this wasn't the day for casual touring and went on to Rapid City, finding a room at The Sleep Inn. Man, a hot shower never felt so good! Watched it rain some more as night came. Dinner was a tasty chef salad, and chatted with a couple from Germany touring the western US. They had been to Rushmore earlier that day and were heading to the Badlands the following day. They were shaking their heads about the rain too. They asked me about Wounded Knee and I did my best to recall the controversy regarding the shooting of FBI agents and the subsequent trial of Leonard Peltier. This took place shortly after I graduated from high school and was in the news during my freshman year of college. They seemed to know a good bit about it and it led to an interesting discussion about the legal system in the US and Germany.

A peek out the window showed more rain. At least my bike was getting a bath. Settled in with a book and early to sleep. What rain?

#22 ·
Reactions: TelemarkTumalo
#24 ·
Day #9 Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY
308 miles

I woke up to steady rain and walked outside to the bike for a better look. Low 40's at 7am. Started to pack up, had breakfast. Weather forecasts indicated it should let up. I checked email, read a newspaper and watched dismal national news on TV. That didn't help much. I decided to just go for it. Heading south on Hwy 16, I was in and out of rain as I made my way toward the park. But, I was warm enough and I was anxious to see Mt. Rushmore. I started the climb up to the park, popped around a corner and there it was! Awesome. Another one of the sights that needs to be experienced. Pictures just don't do it justice.

I spent some time at the visitor's center and marveled at the engineering feat. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt. I guess they just don't make them like they used to. It was blustery and raining, so I enjoyed some coffee and chatted with other tourists and park hosts. Some folks from Pennsylvania were there for the second day in a row. The previous day, the weather and fog were so socked in that the mountain wasn't visible. The conditions on this day were better, and in spite of the rain, I really enjoyed it.

If you have not seen it, this link is worth watching.

Heading back to the bike in the covered parking garage, I found my bike now surrounded by four others. All with out of state plates. I guess I wasn't the only crazy. Decided to go see the Crazy Horse Monument and shortly after leaving found this small group of mountain goats grazing on the roadside.

Getting to the Crazy Horse Monument, I was able to only view from the Visitor's Center. I had just missed one of the tour buses. It remains a work in progress. The small visitor's center is good.

Underway again, the rain was easing up and a bit warmer too. Things were looking up weatherwise. I started south through the park and picked up 385. Through Pringle and into the Fall River area, and the Buffalo Gap National Grassland. Desolate and beautiful.

At Edgemont, I picked up Hwy 471. About 10 miles in, the pavement ended but the road was well packed dirt and gravel. I was able to roll along 40-50 mph. About 45 minutes through farmland.

I had taken this route to drop by Crawford, NE and help a friend with a bit of genealogy work. I was hungry and went into the small downtown area. I love the name of the bar across the street.

Had lunch at a small cafe, and was able to talk with some folks who helped with with my research. Mission accomplished. Fuel and on my way west into Wyoming on Hwy 20 through Lusk and Shawnee.

At Douglas, I had no option but to pick up I-25 toward Casper. I was able to pick up Hwy 20 again at Glenrock. Cold and windy. I was looking foward to a hot meal. Cruising into Casper, I stopped for fuel and explored hotel options. Everything appeared to be full, but I was able to find a room in the downtown area. Not much to say about Casper other than it appears to be a transit town. I wouldn't plan to vacation there.

#25 ·
Day # 10 Casper, WY to Jackson Hole, WY
301 miles

Awoke to light rain tapping on the window and walked outside to cold. Looked at the weather report and 42° with persistent rain in Casper and clearing in Jackson Hole. As if I didn't need incentive to clear my newest least favorite city. Loaded the bike and headed off into increasing rain. Hwy 20/26 was good though and soon out of town, I found very light traffic and smooth pave. The rain increased and the temps only varied by a few degrees as I headed west. My fogging issue in my helmet continued and I pulled off to dry my windscreen. Had to chuckle.

Shivering, I pulled off at a rest area and walked in to a heated vestibule. Took off my jacket and began to warm. I put on my heated vest and neck gaiter. As I was adding layers, a couple came in, having noticed the bike. They had come from the west and told me that the weather should improve in my direction. They were going to Casper and I wished them luck. Back on the bike, the vest was helping. Heading into Riverton, I stopped for coffee and to study my map. The waitress was very interested in my travels by bike. She dialed up the WYDOT program on her tablet and noted that the roads were wet but no current rain toward Jackson. She told me about a guy whom she had met earlier this year in the spring. He was riding his horse from Oregon to the east coast and got trapped in a blizzard. She arranged for a friend to carry he and his horse accross Wyoming and into Nebraska. She doesn't know if he made it or not.

I left Riverton in more rain and a temp of 41°. After these few days, I really came to appreciate Gore-Tex and heated hand grips, and that little windshield wiper on the left index finger of my glove is priceless. Ran in to some road construction on Hwy 26 that went on for about 7-8 miles. It was slippery with standing mud puddles. I stood and tried to keep the throttle steady. No incidents but I was muddy all over. A steady climb by Ocean Lake and stopped for some pictures at Crowheart and Dubois with some clearing and only sprinkles of rain, but the temps dipped into the mid-30's.

First glimpse of the Tetons, and pretty country as I crisscrossed over the Wind River multiple times.

Heading up to Togwotee Pass, the temps dropped but the rain lessened and I even got a bit of sun. Crossed the Continental Divide. Gorgeous.

At the Moran cut off (right to Yellowstone, and left to Teton Nat'l Park), the rain picked up again and the temperature dropped to 34° F. I started to think about ice on the road. The rain turned to snow and I slowed considerably.

Then I got my first glimpse of the Tetons.

Heading down in to the valley floor and the sky cleared and the views improved.

So many photo opportunities and I stopped repeatedly. Really cold, I decided to start looking for a room and cruised into Jackson Hole and found a nice warm room at The Anvil. A long and hot shower and then walked through the town area. Beef stew and a cabernet for dinner. Nice town and very friendly folks. It was a challenging day weather-wise, but it was memorable and very worthwhile. The scenery all along was outstanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.