BMW F800 Forum banner

Mudsling by MachineartMoto

Tags
hugger
16K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  mcmxvivrs 
#1 ·
All:

My wait for a proper device to protect the rear spring from mud 'n crap is about to be rewarded. MachineartMoto of Frenchtown, New Jersey has asked me to test the prototype of the F800GS MudSling before they commit to their tooling, and they expect to ship final product to the public before the spring riding season.

If you follow the link to the GS Mudsling, you will see that rather than keeping the mud next to the tire like a Hugger, it allows debris to fling free just like the rest of the rear-wheel area of an off-road bike. It shields the spring at the proper distance as a continuation of the BMW's inner fender. One wonders why BMW doesn't offer the solution.

Well, let's keep our fingers crossed, eh? I don't have it yet. Now I'm hoping to ride in some nice wet (i.e., not frozen) mud!

Fred

#7 ·
All,

The prototype was installed, and fitment is simple and effective. Mud and crap is shunted downwards, and is not kept next to the tire like a hugger on a street bike. It is exactly what is needed. The shape anticipates full extension and compression of the suspension, and proper clearance is provided throughout the arc of the swingarm's travel.

I am unable to post photos or manufacturing details, but I think it won't be very long. The perfect fit of the device (thanks to modern CAD design and unbelievable production methods I never knew existed until today) should have it on the fast track to full production. If you wish to see the quality, look at the Mudsling currently sold for the R1200GS.

These are produced by industrial designers who also ride, so they apply their expertise and resources to making these accessories for their fellow riders, diversifying the business a bit. I saw some of their other designs, and I was very impressed. Watch for press releases from this outfit over the next few weeks.

In any event, I will share information as soon as I can. Meanwhile, I am about to test the F800 Mudsling in the mud and muck for a week or two.

Fred

#11 ·
Ben, have fun screwing in that screw at the left front of the swing arm when installing the Wunderlich crap flap and when installing the little nut on the right inside of the swing arm next to the upper run of the chain. :( The first is slow and the second is messy.

Reactions: blackie
#13 ·
Tooling ordered and going into production

My riding with the Mudsling is complete, and it does the job with flying colors. It is not a hugger device attached to the rear swingarm as unsprung weight. Rather, it is an extension of the inside fender that shunts mud and crap downwards and out through the swingarm in front of the tire. However, it clears the swingarm throughout the suspension's travel, following the same arc. It attaches using two existing bolts, one on each side, plus an zip tie on each side that you hardly see once you snip off the excess.

I was riding in the Micheaux State Forest today getting things good and messy on neglected forest roads. Potholes and mudholes and all sorts of fun. I wouldn't have wanted the orginal dual-sport Battlewings for this ride! I saw plenty of ATVs, but no other two wheelers.

Here are a few photos of the beta part. It should be available very soon, at the same price as the R1200GS Mudsling from:

MachineartMoto
17 Slacktown Rd. #3
Frenchtown, NJ 08825
U.S.A.

www.machineartmoto.com

If any F650GS twin rider wishes to beta test the Mudsling and lives in the eastern PA/NJ area, contact Andrew though the foregoing website.

Fred

Attachments

#26 ·
OK - I've had both the Wunderlich AND the MAMO Mudsling on my bike. Both work the same - keep the rear shock clean, etc. The one thing that separates the two products is ease of installation. The MAMO piece EASILY has the best fitment of any OEM or nonOEM accessories I've ever installed on any vehicle. For a molded piece of plastic that is saying A LOT. Usually body pieces like this are a pain in the arse and take cutting/trimming and futzing with to get into place and you're lucky if they line up well. MAMO part lines up PERFECT and it took about 5 min to install the mudsling (including looking for a cutter to trim down the ends of the zip-ties used to secure it to the passenger peg mounts).

#29 ·
I can't comment on the one for the 800 but i've been using one on my 1200GS for a few months now and it is great. Good design, good quality and fits very easily AND keeps the shock clean...which is all I really wanted.

#30 ·
Sounds pretty nice. I'm a noob to BMW motorcycles (and a relative novice to riding in general), and this is one class of product I'd never come across before. My Nighthawk has twin rear shocks/springs on either side of the rear wheel, so they're not in the path of mud/muck/etc. coming off the rear wheel. Do you know if there's any difference (beyond aesthetic) of having one spring centered behind the wheel, such as on my soon-to-be-delivered (but not soon enough) F650GS, as opposed to twins on either side of the wheel?

I guess keeping the shock free of mud, rocks, etc. would be, well, a good thing, and would probably contribute to the longevity of the shock itself. So, guess this is another add-on I'll need to buy! :D

#31 ·
Got my MudSling today and installed it in a about 5 minutes just as everyone has claimed previously. Only fit issue is on the left side where the zip tie goes around the frame tube. I have the BMW Adventure cases and the mudsling overlaps the case mount bracket just slightly. Does not seem to be a problem though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.