BMW F800 Forum banner

The F800 Windshield Roundup

111K views 206 replies 95 participants last post by  JMA-TANDEM 
#1 ·
From Left to Right: California Scientific 22" - ZTechnic V-Stream 16" - Skidmarx Double Bubble - Stock ST Screen

Attached Image:

51.79KB

First off some disclaimers to point out the obvious:
1) Not every person is the same height
2) Even if two people are the same height, some people have longer legs while others have longer torsos
3) Different seats, rider posture and riser heights effect where a rider's head is positioned in the windstream
4) Different helmets cause different "sound effects"

Ok, so let me give you some specs on myself and my bike to put things in perspective... I'm 5'9", I weigh 170 and have a 30" inseam. My F800ST is equiped with a low seat (which I believe is 1" lower than stock) and the SW Motech risers (increasing handlebar height by 25mm (1.0") and move them back 25mm (1.0"), producing an overall handelbar displacement of 35.4mm (1.4") at a 45 degree angle from the original position.) I typically wear an HJC CL-33 3/4 open face helmet with flip down face shield and on sunny days, Spy Optics Meteor sunglasses.

First off, I'll start off with the stock ST shield. I found it not too loud, but suffered a fair amount of buffeting. I could not ride off above 20mph with the face shield up due to the amount of wind hitting me in the face, getting under my sunglasses, bouncing them around and causing my eyes to tear up.

Next I tried the V-Technic shield - which was on the demo bike that I rode at the dealer. A big drop in the buffeting, but converse to the stock shield, much noisier. If I stood a little on the pegs, it quieted down significantly. Alas, even though buffeting was lessened, the wind was hitting me in just the right way that I was suffering the same issues with trying to ride at speed with the face shield up. With it down, it would sometimes cause loud whistling noises, so I kept it partially cracked.

I won the CalSci screen on EBay for a whopping $26 from A&S Cycles in CA. It arrived yesterday. Lookswise, this makes the bike look like a real tourer. No buffeting at all since it sends the windstream up at my forehead. I was a bit skeptical about what wind would be coming through the two big holes near the bottom, but I can't really feel anything, however I fully expect bug splatter on the back of the controls. I definitely get windnoise where the windstream hits at almost exactly where the helmet and face shield meet, but it's slightly better than stock. If I duck my head down slightly, the noise is almost entirely gone, because at that point, it's going up over the helmet. Obviously with the wind hitting this high up, I can keep my face shield up without my glasses bouncing around or getting teary-eyed. Not much of any wind hits my body which makes this a good cooler weather screen, but fairly stifling with today's 98 degree F and 80% humidity. Coming from a cruiser background, standar wisdom is that a windshield should be about level with your nose and you shouldn't have to look through it. For me, this screen is perfect in that regards.

Today I received the tinted Skidmarx double bubble screen and I was amazed to find that even though it's about the same height in the middle as the stock ST screen, I get less buffeting, about the same noise level, and strangely, I can keep my face shield open and no sunglass wobble or teary-eyes. Not to say that I didn't have a bug or two disintegrate on my face, but that was the only discomfort. Nice airflow for a hot and humid day - especially when you take into account the option for open face shield riding - and it looks great on the bike.

In conclusion, choosing the shields with the least buffeting and noise with the option for open face shield riding, I believe I will be sticking with the Skidmarx screen for hot weather riding and the CalSci screen for cooler weather. Again, YMMV based on your own physical stats and bike setup.

-A

See less See more
#4 ·
Great review Aether, I've been doing some research myself, but only with stock windshield. My noise problem is gone if I avoid air to enter below my helmet (Nolan N102), but still trying to figure out how to!.

#5 ·
Originally posted by ST John

Spot on report Aether, can you stick a picture of the skidmarx screen fitted to your blue ST please.
Here's a pic of mine

I get a bit of buffeting on the extreme edge of my shoulders, but that's about all. A great improvement on the original

Reactions: Oleran and f8oost
#7 ·
It came direct from Skidmarx for £54.95+VAT+delivery, all in just under £70 I think.

Yes, it's the dark tint version and although the edge isn't as well finished as the original I like it.

#11 ·
Originally posted by f800st.2die4

anyone try cee bailys windshield?????? http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/800stws.html
You'll see an addendum to my original post in another week or two.:D

On the local BMW club board a member mentioned these in response to my review, so I now have the tall touring shield on the way. I want to compare it with the CalSci screen of similar dimensions.

#12 ·
Addendum:

As mentioned in my review, I liked the Cal Sci screen as my choice for cooler weather in that it was exactly the right height for me eliminating buffeting and most noise. My only concern was the fact that the slots near the bottom of the shield would allow bugs and other stuff to flow through and accumulate on the back of the instrument panel.

I received the 22" Cee Bailey's windshield today. When measured from bottom to top, it's the same height as the Cal Sci screen. However, due to the curvature of the screen (it bubbles in over the controls and then flares back upward), the relative height when mounted is significantly lower. Additionally, as warned on the company's web site, you need to be careful when used in conjunction with risers. When first mounted I found that when my bars were in full lock to the left, the brake lever contacted the screen. I slipped a couple of rubber washers as spacers under the screen on each of the side bolts and slightly adjusted the orientation of the brake lever downward to get the needed clearance.

Off I went for a ride and it quickly became apparent that due to the lower relative height, that this screen wasn't what I was hoping for. As I cranked it up to 20mph with my visor open, the noise started and my sunglasses started to wobble. Waving my hand in front of my face I determined that the wind blast was hitting me directly at eye level.

For now it looks like the winners are still the Cal Sci for cool weather and the Skidmarx Double Bubble for warm weather. I am considering contacting Cal Sci to see if they will make me a custom screen without the slots.

Side comparison of Cee Bailey and Cal Sci:
Attached Image:

34.71 KB

Front comparison:
Attached Image:

34.23 KB

Cee Bailey Mounted:
Attached Image:

104.54 KB

Cal Sci Mounted:
Attached Image:

105.53 KB

Skidmark Double Bubble Mounted:
Attached Image:

103.34KB

#58 ·
Adam, I noticed in your pics that the Cal Sci fits similarly to the Cee Bailey, on the bottom. I have the Cee Bailey 22" screen as well, similar results. On the Cal Sci website, the pic they have of the bottom shows it covering further out to the sides, at the very bottom edge, giving the impression that there just may be some extra coverage for the hands. Do you have the "sport" model and the website pic is of the "touring" one, or is there only one model? We have the exact bike/setup, and we are very close in body size, so I think your review suits me very well. Thanks for the reviews!!

Addendum:

As mentioned in my review, I liked the Cal Sci screen as my choice for cooler weather in that it was exactly the right height for me eliminating buffeting and most noise. My only concern was the fact that the slots near the bottom of the shield would allow bugs and other stuff to flow through and accumulate on the back of the instrument panel.

I received the 22" Cee Bailey's windshield today. When measured from bottom to top, it's the same height as the Cal Sci screen. However, due to the curvature of the screen (it bubbles in over the controls and then flares back upward), the relative height when mounted is significantly lower. Additionally, as warned on the company's web site, you need to be careful when used in conjunction with risers. When first mounted I found that when my bars were in full lock to the left, the brake lever contacted the screen. I slipped a couple of rubber washers as spacers under the screen on each of the side bolts and slightly adjusted the orientation of the brake lever downward to get the needed clearance.

Off I went for a ride and it quickly became apparent that due to the lower relative height, that this screen wasn't what I was hoping for. As I cranked it up to 20mph with my visor open, the noise started and my sunglasses started to wobble. Waving my hand in front of my face I determined that the wind blast was hitting me directly at eye level.

For now it looks like the winners are still the Cal Sci for cool weather and the Skidmarx Double Bubble for warm weather. I am considering contacting Cal Sci to see if they will make me a custom screen without the slots.

Side comparison of Cee Bailey and Cal Sci:
Attached Image:

34.71*KB

Front comparison:
Attached Image:

34.23*KB

Cee Bailey Mounted:
Attached Image:

104.54*KB

Cal Sci Mounted:
Attached Image:

105.53*KB

Skidmark Double Bubble Mounted:
Attached Image:

103.34KB

#14 ·
The problem with "screen reviews" is that people are different and experience things differently. Or seeking for different final result. Matter of taste.

Having said that, I'm still "most happy" with my low S-screen on my ST.

#15 ·
Originally posted by Kaj

The problem with "screen reviews" is that people are different and experience things differently. Or seeking for different final result. Matter of taste.
Glad you agree. You reinforce what I said in the disclaimer at the beginning of the review. Now add in what I said about different bike configurations (risers/bar position and seat height) and you have precisely captured my point.

#16 ·
Having recently fitted the skidmarx double bubble screen, I have noticed that the fly splats on my jacket are less than that with the stock screen although I seem to be getting more flies entering my lid. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ain't good when a fly hits you straight in the eye.

#17 ·
Well folks, a couple of days ago I've chopped my ST windshield, and got really good results to me. Much less noise coming down the helmet, less buffeting, haven't tried on long trips yet but I suppose more bugs on my shoulders (on helmet already lots of bugs with the OEM windscreen. I'll post a picture later, now it looks like an S windshield on size, but not in shape since I copped the upper part that diverges from center, now "looks a bit like" a double bubble. Will keep you informed, but current results are great to me.

#18 ·
Cal-Sci & VStream summary:

So I drove to Sacramento today to try out a California Scientific (Cal-Sci) windscreen. Mark the owner ended up spending a couple of hours with me while he had me test a new prototype, as well as two of his original sizes. I was looking for a taller windscreen for the winter that would keep me warmer and be relatively quiet. I have a Schuberth S1 helmet, and am 5'-9" with a longer torso. I had a VStream 16" that was definitely better than the factory windscreen, but still gave me some turbulence noise at mid helmet (I tried their 19" windscreen but it made a horrible noise right at the top of my helmet).

I first tested a taller (22"?) Cal-Sci windscreen, but it gave me the same problem as the 19" VStream - noise at the top of the helmet. I tried a shorter one, and still got some noise. While standing on my pegs I estimated I needed to cut off about 3 inches to put my helmet into clean air and make my helmet quiet (Schuberth strongly recommends this and they are right). Mark took the windshield and cut off 3". I tried that and it was MUCH better - no rocket noises on top or turbulence noise at mid helmet. I noticed that if I slouched, however, I could get a little noise. I sheepishly asked Mark if he could cut off another 1/2 inch. He was a real sport and did it. I got the perfect custom made windshield - Woohoo! FYI, it ended up being 17 inches.

What I learned today (while test riding and really looking at the positions of other riders & windscreens) is that the F800 is an extremely difficult bike to fit for windscreens. Our heads are so high and forward relative to the angle of the windshield coming back at us that it is almost impossible to get a windscreen that will put the wind over the helmet (unless you are lucky in this scenario and have a short torso). I gave up on the "winter windscreen" idea and will use the 17" Cal-Sci year round...it will work for all seasons as it has a wider base to keep wind off my torso but will allow ample air into my helmet if I'm hot.

#20 ·
Originally posted by Tony

Anyone have any tips on chopping screens? Whats the best way to do it? just draw a line with a felt tip and take a jigsaw to it?

Is there any way to round off the edge?

I am thinking of chopping my standard ST screen to get my helmet in clear air.
http://tidyville.roadstarclinic.com/windshield.html

#21 ·
Draw the line with a felt tip pen or grease pencil. Cover both sides of the piece of windshield you're keeping with wide painter's masking tape, so the line just shows. This will prevent nicking the surface when the inevitable slips occur. Lay the windshield on an old towel or blanket to protect the surface while you work. You're better off to use a hack saw than a jigsaw, the hack saw is much more controllable. Put the blade in sideways and there will be enough clearance to make the cut. Use a fine toothed blade, it makes for slower going, but there is less finishing work later on. Use a fine pitch file to smooth out the cut. Now put wet and dry sandpaper, wet, on a sanding block, and smooth out the file marks. Use increasingly finer grades of paper until you are satisfied with the finish. For a finishing touch, you can take long strips of wet and dry and use it in a back and forth buffing fashion across the cut edge. I've done this before and it is possible to match the factory finish perfectly. Remove the masking tape and you're done.

#23 ·
Yes Old Al, I have the dark version on my S and like it. It's between the standard screens of the S and the ST when looking at protection. More protection on the shoulders on high speed but without any buffeting.

And I think it looks great i.r.l. It makes the bike look more like a touring bike then a sports bike and it's very nice the lower part is totally black so you can't see the back of the housing of the dashboard anymore when looking at the front of the bike

#24 ·
I've had the CalSci 21.5" on now for a couple of days. It has reduced the amount of buffeting compared to what I experienced with the stock screen. It has also increased the noise level in my helmet substantially. I'm not totally pleased with this one, so I'm going to keep looking for that "perfect" windscreen.[ahh]

#25 ·
Aether, you`re definitely a "screen star" you`ve got more screens than my local Multiplex Cinema![bow]
You reckon the Skidmarx double bubble is the business? The standard screen on my Blue ST is crap, I can`t believe how much buffetting I get at fairly reasonable speeds but there are so many alternatives I`d rather get one that I know is going to work, (what about the melting speedo housing, any problems?)

Good effort [thumb]

#26 ·
In regards to the melting deal - it seems to be primarily an issue with the Wunderlich Double Bubble, not the Skidmarx Double Bubble. They are two completely different screens.

We've sold a ton of the Skidmarx shields so far. We can't seem to keep them in stock. To date, we've never been contacted regarding melting from one of our shields (skidmarx or otherwise) and the only feedback we've been sent about the Skidmarx DB has been positive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.