BMW F800 Forum banner

How many is too many???

6K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  whojigger 
#1 ·
Let's start this off: "my name is Alice and I have a motorcycle addiction, I get more bikes faster than I can ride them...

So my first foray into the BMW works was Betsy my F800ST. Over the last 4-6 months I started looking for an 1150 or 1200 GS. Instead on an incredibly cheap bargain I bought an 1150RT, now that damn Rhino is ugly and I've never ridden it (colour is beautiful but for a BM ugh).

Cue a week ago an yellow BMW 1150GS popped up at the right price, tried to jump on it and failed but then 2 days later the hubby called him and made the deal, [emoji7][emoji3526] yay for me.

But it gets better, next day it was an MV Augusta Brutale 750S and a KTM 1190 for him. Now whilst we are waiting for transport we are looking at what else we want, you see motorcycles are life. So now hubby wants his own MV, I want my own 790 or 1190 Adventure, we both want a Ducati (the 1200 multistrada I'm keen on) and a Triumph Bonneville. Along with the restoration of a 70's Suzuki GS 1000 that's in progress here.

So is this too many or could we always add more?

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#28 ·
Its not the having, it's the getting

I check the milage or hours each Fall on all my toys. When the snow falls I do yearly maintenance and see who has been ridden and who has not. Years ago, I decided to spread my bikes around, 2 in interior Alaska (where I live 2 seasons an R100RS and a Ural Patrol. in SE Alaska I keep an antique R50 for the 27 miles of Ketchikan paved roads for summer, and the F800 in Washington for long distance lower 48 riding. Well, 3 are here in interior Alaska with me and the R50 "Fritz" with his favored old school mechanic in his heated shop in K-town. I didn't get a trip to Washington to ride and store the F800 because of COVID and it was then that I came to the realization that I like the feeling I get when I walk into my shop and see all my toys together (along with 2 snow machines snow blower, chain saws and a 4 wheeler ATV). I feel complete each time I view my kingdom, all watched over with loving grace. So, maybe there is value in the having too.

#5 ·
If they fit different "needs", then go for it. If they fit the same "need" ...I'd wait.

I owned a bike that I really liked. Had 77,000 miles on it and an exact duplicate. (I liked it that much.) I bought a different bike...but it served the same need. Something for commuting on, and the occasional long day ride. I thought I'd ride them both equally. That was the plan.

After a year of owning both, I found I did about a week and a half of miles on the first bike. All the rest was on the new bike. The battery had gone down so much, it wouldn't start the bike. After recharging it, I found the time was still on Daylight Savings Time...which wasn't due to start for two weeks. In other words, I didn't ride one of the bikes hardly at all. Owning more than one was not a good idea for me.

If I was to get two bikes again, they would have to serve entirely different riding needs.

Chris

#8 ·
If they fit different "needs", then go for it. If they fit the same "need" ...I'd wait.

I owned a bike that I really liked. Had 77,000 miles on it and an exact duplicate. (I liked it that much.) I bought a different bike...but it served the same need. Something for commuting on, and the occasional long day ride. I thought I'd ride them both equally. That was the plan.

After a year of owning both, I found I did about a week and a half of miles on the first bike. All the rest was on the new bike. The battery had gone down so much, it wouldn't start the bike. After recharging it, I found the time was still on Daylight Savings Time...which wasn't due to start for two weeks. In other words, I didn't ride one of the bikes hardly at all. Owning more than one was not a good idea for me.

If I was to get two bikes again, they would have to serve entirely different riding needs.

Chris
Oh they all definitely have their own purpose.

Betsy (F800ST) is my daily commuter.
Tweety (1150GS) adventure touring and travelling with our dogs, camping etc as she can pull a doggy trailer. Plus maybe the odd workday trip.
Katie (KTM 525EXC) hardcore offroading.
?Brutal (MV Augusta 750) weekend spin outs on the twisties for fun.
1190 Adventure - Adventure riding long distance without the fur monsters.
790 Adventure - hitting the trails a bit more hardcore than the 1190 as lighter but capable.
Suzuki GS 1000 - weekend rides.
Ducati - track bike

I think that covers them? Plus always room for old classics. I work hard, 9.5-12hr days and work 4 a week so I get a min 3 day or even 4-5 day weekend often.

#7 ·
I have a friend who owns 23 motorcycles. I sure wouldn't want his yearly insurance or vehicle registration bills. [uhoh]

Reactions: AliceNicho
#15 ·
What's right for you is right for you. I would never try to tell someone else how many is right or too much. Or what they can or or cannot afford.

My brother somewhat criticized me a few years ago saying," why do you need more than one?" I explained different tools for different jobs. Then said have too much money tied up in them and we did the math and my bikes (I had four at the time) were slightly less than the cost his new Harley. And he financed his and mine were paid for in cash.

To each his own. Enjoy.

#18 ·
"You don't play tennis in steel toed work boots do you? "
In the Army we did everything in lace up boots. So yes, you can play tennis in boots. May not be ideal but the luxury of having a number of motorcycles is not available to every one. Having 2 is nice for the convenience of the spare when the other is down for service or tires.

#19 ·
Bonnieville

So my first foray into the BMW works was Betsy my F800ST. Over the last 4-6 months I started looking for an 1150 or 1200 GS. Instead on an incredibly cheap bargain I bought an 1150RT, now that damn Rhino is ugly and I've never ridden it (colour is beautiful but for a BM ugh).

Given what you all are riding, I would not get a Bonnevillle. I had the 850 and the 1200 Thruxton R. They both looked great. The 850 motor is solid and the 1200R is really a fantastic motor. BUT, the bikes are designed to look cool, not ride anywhere like you are used to from a sport or naked bike of the sort you have, much less the F800, or your other BMWs. The Triumphs are unstable over 90, and unstable accelerating over 90-95.The 850's frame is not well balanced like you are used to. On hard breaking, the rear end of the 850 wants to swing around, which you cannot fix with the rear shock preload, which is all you have. I really wanted to love these two bikes, as they look so great...but given my riding style, I had to sell them. The stock shocks on the bonneville are terrible, so I replaced them. That did not fix the instability. The adjustable shocks on the 1200 have almost no adjustment. It is very hard to raise the preload on the rear shock (see forums) so much so that a lot of people think it cannot be done. It can, but it throws the bike further out of balance (tank slap, anyone?). On my bike, neither the shop or I could ever get the spoke wheels balanced properly. The tires have tubes, and I tried changing the position of the tires. I did not try replacing the fork fluid. Perhaps I should have tried that, but given the instability over 90, I was not up to it. Traded for another BMW. On the other hand, my Triumph street triple was fantastic in all respects. I think Triumph makes some bikes for looks and others for fun riding. Try a street triple or speed triple.

#23 ·

Given what you all are riding, I would not get a Bonnevillle. I had the 850 and the 1200 Thruxton R. They both looked great. The 850 motor is solid and the 1200R is really a fantastic motor. BUT, the bikes are designed to look cool, not ride anywhere like you are used to from a sport or naked bike of the sort you have, much less the F800, or your other BMWs. The Triumphs are unstable over 90, and unstable accelerating over 90-95.The 850's frame is not well balanced like you are used to. On hard breaking, the rear end of the 850 wants to swing around, which you cannot fix with the rear shock preload, which is all you have. I really wanted to love these two bikes, as they look so great...but given my riding style, I had to sell them. The stock shocks on the bonneville are terrible, so I replaced them. That did not fix the instability. The adjustable shocks on the 1200 have almost no adjustment. It is very hard to raise the preload on the rear shock (see forums) so much so that a lot of people think it cannot be done. It can, but it throws the bike further out of balance (tank slap, anyone?). On my bike, neither the shop or I could ever get the spoke wheels balanced properly. The tires have tubes, and I tried changing the position of the tires. I did not try replacing the fork fluid. Perhaps I should have tried that, but given the instability over 90, I was not up to it. Traded for another BMW. On the other hand, my Triumph street triple was fantastic in all respects. I think Triumph makes some bikes for looks and others for fun riding. Try a street triple or speed triple.
To be honest I want the Bonneville for looks. I absolutely adore the look of the bike and want it in British army green.

#27 ·
If the Queenslander is on high stumps, storage underneath is the same as the house. [:D]

I've seen 4 cars, 2 boats, the laundry and a workshop under one.

Reactions: AliceNicho
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.