BMW F800 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to F800Riders.org - Center of the Parallel Universe!

56K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  DWS 
#1 ·
Welcome to the official website of The International BMW F800 Series Riders Association - BMW Motorcycle Owners Association Chartered Club #338. We're dedicated to the owners of the BMW F800S, F800ST, F800GS, & F650GS Twin motorcycles.

Our mission is to be an online community to support owners of the F800 through common knowledge, shared wisdom, mechanical know how, new information, humor, drama, and most importantly, the promotion of worldwide friendship between people who haven't yet met.

We are very glad that you have found us! If you have yet to register, you are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register today!

If you have already registered here, THANK YOU! Did you know that you can do the following things at F800Riders.org? Take a look:

Customize the way you see and interact with the site - The User Control Panel - http://f800riders.org/forum/usercp.php

One of the first things that you may have noticed about this new site is how much more there is to it. the best place to start after you log in is right in the User CP. From there you can putz with your avatar and signature, PM people, manage your thread (or entire forum) subscriptions, and change various other options such as what comes up in the New Posts dialog in the upper right of each screen.

Check out the Multiple F800 Rider Calendars - http://f800riders.org/forum/calendar.php

This site is truly international, and as such just one calendar wont work for all of us. To help, we've implemented a multiple calendar system. On the bottom right of each page is where you can change which one you are looking at. Calendars are available for each language that we serve, along with one for each of the new regional forums that we just setup.

Compete with other F800 Riders in the Arcade - http://f800riders.org/forum/arcade.php?

Think you're hot stuff when it comes to your computer skillz? Try them out in a classic game of space invaders, tetris, or in the Yeti Pentathlon. You can organize and join tournaments, and if you get a high score in the game it is listed right under your name in the forum.

Check out the F800 Rider Map - http://f800riders.org/forum/usermap.php

Inquiring minds want to know where everyone is from, and where the F800 Rider Assoc. is based out of. Check out the map and see where everyone that is currently on the forum is from. Generally, we have 200-300 folks browsing the forum at any given time.

Check out the F800 Garage & Add you bike to it - http://f800riders.org/forum/garage.php

Have a sweet F800 or ... well .... K1? Interested in what other F800 Riders are doing in regards to customization? The garage may help! Nearly 1000 vehicles in the garage and nearly 2000 modifications to those motorcycles as of the writing of this port.

Post pictures of you, your motorcycle, and your adventures together in the Gallery! - http://f800riders.org/photoplog/

What they say is absolutely true - a picture is worth 100 words, and we've got a spot for them here. Pop into the gallery to take a look at what others have posted and upload some pictures of your own. Nearly 2000 photos.

That's just a basic rundown of what you can do here - and it doesn't even include reading and posting - the heart of the community. We look forward to you stopping by and posting! Thanks again for being a part of the community!

See less See more
#2 ·
2013 f800riders.org updates?

Looks like our forum needs some updating by the owner/manager/webmaster.

Not much about any rally events except for 2012 ! There is an individual thread about tagging onto the Asheville thing last June.

The poll of owner satisfaction is stated as being done yearly but only posted for 2010.

Not trying to be a smartass and rock the boat. Just wondering if things are just kinda coasting along right now with this valuable forum.

#3 ·
Yes leafman60 that is the result of the former owner (Rob) selling the site to Vertical Solutions and for VS this forum is just one of the many they host but they do not participate actively like Rob used to do.

I already tried to tidy up a bit and remove the sections of the forum not in use anymore some time ago but a VS-tech restored them again, or that is what I think happened because the old situation was restored.

I've just cleaned up a bit, removed the 2012 rally section and made some old sticky threads not sticky anymore. I hope this time they will stay that way.

#4 · (Edited)
Leafman brings up some fair points. The forum content and layout is one area. Also, when Rob owned the forum, he also worked to build a community with the rallies, get togethers, etc. That helped folks get a bit closer to each other...as well their bikes. I think some of that has slipped since Vertical Solutions acquired the forum. They have not worked to drive the community beyond the online forum aspect (rallies, rides, etc.) but, quite frankly neither have we, the members, (at least in the US) as a community of riders.

#5 ·
Ahhh, I didn't know all the background politics going on.

Hmmm

Well, sounds like someone "bought" the site. I assume they're generating some sort of income from ads etc and letting the forum cruise on automatic pilot.

We need an enthusiast(s) with some of the controls. Hell, like it is, we can't even do another satisfaction poll.

An option is to do like so many churches. Something happens that they don't like, a new preacher, a new song leader and the congregation goes down the road and starts another church. Anybody wanna volunteer to be our new preacher ?

#9 · (Edited)
We need an enthusiast(s) with some of the controls. Hell, like it is, we can't even do another satisfaction poll.
You should be able to start any poll you want and if someone does I will be making them sticky again, but I think there is not much use for them because the result will say nothing which can be generalized because this forum (as any product specific forum) will always attract a larger percentage of total group of owners of that product with a problem than the percentage of the total group of owners without problems.

Which is a sad thing because that mechanism results in companies refusing to communicate with their customers through forums like this one.

But as I said, feel free to start a satisfaction poll in one of the model specific sections and if you have technical difficulties doing so please PM me and I will try to solve it.

#13 ·
I was not aware that Rob had gone, when did that happen, and Karim have you tried to contact the new owners to see if things can be changed without any interference from them, if so what was their response?

And should this post be made sticky!

#14 ·
Leafman can be the catalyst to make a rally happen. Whenever one presents a good idea or questions a situation, they automatically gain control. It's the Moose Turd Pie syndrome.
There is a cast of looneys here that make visiting a reading a pleasure. Some mention of the motorcycle is made and that's enough to maintain a semblance of propriety.
Locally there are groups that could provide for meets and rides. NKag locally has tried to do a LA regional thing but it's like herding cats. [lol]

#15 ·
What we really need is a FAQ with the forum rules and things like the different colors for the nicknames, where to find the HoW and a bit about the history of this forum. But I believe all of the mods are anarchists [:0] so I found no volunteers for writing it nor drive for writing that myself yet. :banplease:

But I see the changes I´ve made are still in place and I´ve cleaned up all of the things leafman mentioned and even started a new survey for the S and ST owners so I see no need to talk to VS now.

I´ll move this thread to the ´Forum help-support´ section and merge it with Rob´s old sticky for new members.

#18 ·
Hey Bob,

We do have a forum FAQ section but it appears to only be visible to members when they are not logged into the forum. Here is a link to it http://f800riders.org/forum/faq.php?\. As well I edited the first post to include a link to the FAQ.

Cheers,
- dm, community support

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.