BMW F800 Forum banner

tires!

3K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  PhotoAl 
#1 ·
Good evening fellow riders, need new tires. Who likes what & why? Thanks, Paul.

#2 ·
I like the Dunlop Road Smart III tires that I have on my R1200RS. They turn in and corner very well and are claimed to provide excellent mileage. Plus, their prices are more reasonable than some other "premium" brands. I definitely prefer them to the Metzeler Z8 tires that came from the factory on my RS. Those tires took some muscle to get to turn-in and rode somewhat stiffly. They lasted 8.5K miles at the front and 10K miles at the rear - if I recall correctly.

#4 ·
I have 12,000 miles on Dunlop RS III tires and they still have a couple thousand miles left on them. There's no cupping on the tires, and they are wearing well...in other words, the rear isn't flattening out.

#5 ·
I had to have a new rear tyre fitted while touring in France a couple of years ago. I let them replace the front as well while they were at it. Tyres are Bridgestone Battlax T30s. Seem to be wearing much better than the original Continentals and have great grip in the wet. The pricing was also much less than other big name tyres.

#6 ·
Currently have 8,000 miles on Michelin Road 4 GTs. Over half from a long trip to Yellowstone last summer. More wear on the center but the shape of the tire is surprisingly good considering how much straight line riding Ive done with the bike. I would have run the standard Road 4s but the dealer put a front GT on when I bought the bike so I matched it. Used Road 4s on my 2012 CBR600RR. I ride in all kinds of weather and used to ride to work most days but stopped due to retirement. The Road 4 performance in the wet and the cold is why I use it, my CBR could lift the from wheel under acceleration on a wet street! (Only did that to see if it would not a normal occurrence with me.) The tire warms up very quickly and isn't as affected by cold ambient temperatures as some. Dry traction is great especially considering its longevity and wet performance. Over the years Ive run many sets of Road 2s, 3s and 4s and will usually consider other tires about every second set but have always come back to the Roads as a consistent tire that does everything very well and lasts a long time. They are not cheap but the prices are not bad - aren't we BMW riders who don't care about cost? :)

#7 ·
Out of necessity - I just had a Michelin Road 5 installed on the rear (wore out the center of the stock Metzler while riding in TN/NC).

The place that put it on is near the Tail of the Dragon, and he puts on over 1,000 tires a year......he sells a lot of tires and he says the Sport Touring guys really like the Road 5 tires. Just after I got my tire installed, he had a pair of KTM 1290 bikes pull in for new tires, and they both got Road 5's installed.

In the 500 "dry" miles I have ridden on it the tire feels great. I cornered pretty aggressively for 2 days and it sticks like glue, and you can see the color change of the soft rubber on the outer edges and the harder tread in the center....once you get the tire scuffed in the change is even more noticeable.

Attachments

#31 ·
I see from the photo typical metz Z8 behavior if you don't change them before they look worn they go through the centre rubber at an astounding rate. The first time it happened i thought it was a tyre fault as it went from looking Ok to showing the canvas in a single 100 mile journey with only 8,000 easy mile on it. I replace it and had similar thing happen but not so extreme it looked like yours with the different colour soft rubber showing through in the center. Switched to Michelin PR 4 and had almost double the mileage without experiencing sudden deterioration.

#9 ·
I just fitted a pair of Continental RoadAttack 3 tyres to my 2013 GT. The bike had the original tyres still on when I bought it last September (bike had only covered 10000km) !
The difference between the original (worn out and old) tyres of course is massive. I expected that.
The new tyres I like very much. They give good stable feedback, and have installed a good confidence factor when I go out for a ride. After about 150km travelled on them, I had plenty of confidence to take both sides of the tyres to the edges. The feedback and stability seems to be the same regardless of my lean angle, this feature I find really great, so I can tip the bike into a corner with some safety margin, and if I feel like leaning a bit further over in the corner, its easy to adjust my angle and speed. The input to tip the bike over from upright, or increase the lean in the corner feels constant. Which gives me the confidence to take the tyres to the edge pretty quickly.
Straight line stability is great, but I would expect that from any new tyre setup front and rear.
So I'm very happy with the RoadAttack 3 tyres. I bought the normal version, standard fitment size, and not the GT version of the tyre.
I guess the tyre is a typical touring/street tyre. I can guide the bike from upright to the edge of the tyres with the same effort, the tyres are "round" in their profile, so the bike doesn't flop over into corners (triangular profile).
I have always found the steering of the GT to be stable, and these tyres keep that feeling. I've mainly been out riding in the dry so far, only once have I been caught out in the rain. In the rain I'm taking it steady anyway, and not pushing any tyres. In the rain the bike felt fine.
So all in all, I can easily recommend the RoadAttack 3. My type of riding is on open twisty roads in the countryside, and the tyres work great in this area. Maybe a more sporty tyre would give a quicker turn in due to a different type of profile (triangular), but I don't need that on the GT, and the turn in is great for having fun on twisty roads and leaning the bike right over with confidence. I feel I can ride the bike how I like in a corner, and the tyres do what I want, I'm not having to over compensate for turn in or anything like that, the handling is nice and stable and neutral, regardless of my lean.

#13 ·
Out of PR4GT, AngelGT, Metz Z8 the Conti RA3 have been the clear winner in every aspect I care about: superior handling, turn-in and line holding perfect, resistance to squaring, zero scalloping, shape retention, ready to be hard leaned right out of the box, and superior grip--I say this because I noticed my comfort with hard leans got significantly better very shortly after installing these, quiet w/ no howling while leaned, best in longitudinal grooved surfaces (road/grates). Noticable improvement in confidence in harder leans. This is on my '16RT which I used the GT variant on. The RA3's were recommended to me by an uber-aggressive rider who says they are the best tire he's used ever for his GS & R9T. 2014+ RT's scallop the other 3 tires I've used on the front unless the pressure is set at 39-40psi, wheres the RA3's do not scallop even at the recommended 36psi. The PR4GT's were the worst of bunch: unawares of this when I bought the bike new I set the front at 36psi and in under 1900mile the front tires were quite severely scalloped--it's a function of their ornate siping line design IMO.

#10 ·
Just thought I would add that I'm using the standard tyre pressures of 2.5 bar front and 2.9 bar in the rear (I think that is 36psi front, 42 psi rear). The rear shock preload is wound completly out (the usual setting for a solo rider with no luggage). Basically, I'm running with everything on a standard setting.

#22 ·
Jon,, I have a '15 F800R. I only ride solo and mostly without luggage. I'm 90kilos/1.8m. I run 36psi front/41-42psi rear. Preload is wound five turns out. I'll occasionally set suspension to soft when the road is bumpy, otherwise I leave it alone. Handling has always been exceptionally good.

The F800 series of bikes have always had exceptionally well balanced handling and fiddling with suspension settings doesn't make a lot of difference.

#12 ·
I am now on my second set of Metzeler Roadtec 01's. Previously ran the Metzeler Z8 Interact and the Michelin Pilot Road 4. The Z8 had a high mileage (15000 km = 9300 miles), but handling in the wet was not very inspiring. The Pilot Road 4 was OK, much better grip wet conditions, similar mileage as the Z8's. Best experience is with the Roadtec01, superb handling in corners, excellent grip in the wet. Much lower mileage though (rear: 10.000 km = 6200 miles, front a bit better). Despite this the Roadtec 01 are my favorite, mainly because of the excellent handling.

#23 ·
...Much lower mileage though (rear: 10.000 km = 6200 miles, front a bit better). Despite this the Roadtec 01 are my favorite, mainly because of the excellent handling.
This is the part that bothers me about the Roadtec 01. They are a premium priced tire. Right up at the top of the list for cost. Yet they give half the mileage any of the other tires give you. All the top tier sport-touring tires are about equal in performance. The difference in one verses the other is minor. So why pay a premium price for a low mileage tire? The price / performance ratio isn't there.

If I didn't ride much, I'd never think about it. But I'd like my tires to last a year, not a month.

Chris

#14 ·
I find it interesting that your (FrankV) experience with the Roadtec 01 and Z8 is similar to mine. The Roadtec 01 is billed as being a longer lasting tire, yet I can't think of a review that didn't say the tire wore out quicker by far than the Z8 it replaced.

Chris

#17 ·
ROADTEC Z8 vs 01

Each year I ride about 3000-4000 km round trip to Phillip Island Motogp through some incredible but testing and tricky roads in Australia. Usually get cold and wet ( and sleet sometimes in the high country).

I had a succession of Pilot Roads on my old TDM900 but I really found their limit (PR4s with sipes) in some really cold wet and slippery conditions one year, nearly losing the front on a few quite slow bends - did they just get too cold? possibly.

I did two years on my F800GT with Roadtec Z8s and thought they were really good, but I had also done some track days and found the front scalloping as mentioned (almost certainly caused by the track days) and I found the rear flattening out.

Last year I had Roadtec 01s and I totally loved them. I rode with recommended pressures because I had a bit of gear on the back and the bike handled beautifully - in fact I really think I was riding a bit harder last year due to the increased confidence - maybe this also causes the slightly less mileage reported. I haven't noticed this yet, but I nearly always replace my tyres early, usually before a big ride - much nicer to head of with deep tread and even wear when putting my neck on the line in really remote places with iffy weather. I have only done one track day on the 01s which was a skills day, not for speed, so haven't noticed scalloping on the front as yet.

It seems there might be a few options!! Good luck

#19 ·
I just today ordered a set of the Conti Road Attack 3's. Time to get these PR4GT's off. They came on the bike and the reinforced carcass makes for a harsher ride. I've heard the RA3 are excellent and look forward to trying them on the GT. As an aside, there's currently a $60 rebate on a new pair. If I like them I'll order a set for the RT as well, based on Noel's glowing feedback, haha.

#20 ·
I just finished mounting my RA3 tires...largely based on Noel's glowing recommendation. If they work as well as he says they will, I'll have to rethink buying an RT. ;)

FWIW, it wasn't too bad to change my own tires. The first tire took forever it seemed. The second, half the time.

As for the tires, they feel good, but so did the Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs. I had no issues with those and liked them enough to buy two sets.

Chris

#24 ·
I have run Dunlop Roadsmarts (current 3s) on my F8 and very happy. Good balance of wet/dry handling capabilities and mileage. I recently added one to back of my GSX S1000 and want to see how they hold up with a bit more horsepower thrown at them.

For the F8, I will likely replace with another set of Roadsmarts when these are shot and after not being happy with some Bridgestones that seemed to cup on the front tire for my F8.

#26 ·
Tires

I recently replaced a set of Roadsmart III after 12k + miles (rear), I replaced both front and rear. I liked the Dunlops a lot, they handled well, and lasted long (for me). The price was also great. I decided to try the PR5's for a couple of reasons. 1.) I got them for a great price 2.) I had PR 3's before, and they were very good. So the PR5's: they warm up fast and really feel good on the road. I've put a coupe thousand miles on them, and am very happy. I think you can't go wrong with either the Dunlops or the Michelins. IMHO, whichever one you get a better price for, take those. They're both great tires.

#28 ·
I agree about fiddling with the suspension doesn't make too much difference. The main differences I do notice is the ESA setting, I can feel the difference between comfort and sport. But I mostly leave it on normal, even when riding quickly with friends (I usually just forget to change the setting when riding quickly, because I'm enjoying the roads so much !).
I've just come back from a long weekend break in the Black Forest (Germany), I had luggage on the bike (sport panniers and a soft bag on the rack), but the bike wasn't loaded that heavy. I did set the rear preload with 4 complete turns in. This seemed to keep the same ride height as when solo. I must admit, I only tried this one setting, and I'm 85kg and 1.8m, so about the same as you on the bike. With the extra weight, I could feel this when tipping into corners, the bike would "bob" down very slightly, then settle into the corner. I could still take the tyres to the edge (well the rear tyre to the edge, the front has a good deal more left, which is good). Confidence was still high with the tyres. I'll write about that in a post below, for others too.

So to summarise, With sports panniers, and a BMW soft bag (small) on the rack, with enough clothes for 4 days, I wound the preload in 4 complete turns, and felt happy with that setting. I kept the tyre pressure the same. I could still reach high lean angles with the RA3 tyres. I'm not pushing the bike as much with luggage on, as it is heavier, and I like to keep a slightly bigger safety margin than without luggage. But in the Black Forest, with or without luggage, tyres were super.

#29 ·
In my last post I was trying to reply to padaek, but the post is stuck to the bottom of the posting (I've not worked out how to "reply" directly to a post yet !).
Update on the Conti RA3 tyres I had recently fitted. I've just come back from a super trip to/in the Black Forest (Germany). About 900kms in total. Tyres were great. In the Black Forest, the roads generally have a good smooth surface. Not all roads of course, but its on the smooth roads that I will lean the bike over all the way (on a rough road I don't do this). The feedback from the tyres, and the tip in feedback (neutral feeling, same effort to turn regardless of lean angle) make riding corners using full lean a real joy. So I can still recommend the tyres. I guess this is to be expected of course, I would be very surprised if a tyre started feeling radically different after 1000km.

#30 ·
If you want to reply directly to a specific comment, click on "Reply With Quote" at the lower right of the quick reply box. If you want to include an attachment, like a photo, to your reply you will have to click the "Go Advanced" button below the reply box and then click on the paper clip icon along the various options at top of the larger advanced reply box. Like this.

Attachments

#32 ·
Just got back from a 75 mile "test ride" cough, cough.. and these Conti Road Attacks feel excellent. They ride beautifully and are extremely neutral in corners - whatever lean angle you pick it just stays there without any additional input required. Really nice. Thanks to Noel for the recommendatiion. I'll probably put a set on the RT. Fyi, there is still a $60 rebate also, until the end of June..

#33 ·
I ran through the OEM set of conti-attack II's and am 75% through a set of Pirelli Angel GT's on my F800GT.

The Angel GT's seem to warm up faster and just feel more consistent overall in cornering and have really good feedback. I imagine these tires would be destroyed at a track or if run seriously hard, but as far as my own limits/ability to ride and what roads I have available they're amazing and confidence inspiring. I run the front at 2.35bar/~34psi and the back at 2.75bar/~40psi and the tread wear has been consistent with no scalloping or impacts to handling or feedback. I have 9200 km's and it looks like I'll get another 2500-4000km's out of them before they're gone depending on what sort of riding I do.

The Conti-Attack II's were very planted in dry conditions and predictable but not amazing in the wet. I was admittedly newer on the bike, but that front tire really just planted itself mid corner no matter how hard I pushed it. It even took some major rookie mistakes like throttle off/braking/weight transfers mid corner/mid leans the first little bit without complaint. I didn't feel like it had quite the feedback the angel GT's have but in good conditions I feel like they were a bit more grippy. I was also running 2.5b/36psi on the front and 2.9b/42psi on the back following the manual, and after 9200km's the rear was at the belts in the center/badly squared off, and the front was down to 1mm in some spots and scalloped on the left significantly more than the right. The last ~1000km's the handling was noticeably impacted. I think they were over-inflated, and I'm curious how the feedback and lifespan would be improved with lower pressure.

I've got a set of Metzler Roadtec 01's coming for a long trip and went with the HWM rear, hoping to get around 15,000-20,000 km's out of those with non-spirited riding. My plan was to try out the new Angel GT II's after this trip and keep the metzlers as spares, but now you have me really curious about the CA III's. Anyone know how well the Conti Attack III's handle in cooler conditions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.