battery or stator issueÉ - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    TJ
    04-24-13
    I picked up a 2007 f800s recently and have had it for about 2 weeks. As recent as last Sunday I had put on 500km. After that, it sat for 7 days and today I was going to go for a ride and flipped the start button on, watched the needles do their thing, and then pressed the start button and nothing. No sounds, no start...nothing at all. So I plugged it into my battery tender and the charging light was amber to indicate its charging, not green that it is charged. It's been like that for about 7 or 8 hours so far today and it is still on that amber light. I tried a couple attempts to start and still the same situation.

Does this sound like a dead battery or one of these stator issues I have been reading about?
    Last edited by Loan Wolf; 04-14-13 at 09:09 PM. Reason: the french "e" was locked

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    aL
    08-24-18
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    it sounds like a dead battery. if its an 07 with the Stock battery, then those batteries last between 3-5 years. I'm like year 3, i got a battery bug on there that tells me how much life is left before i gotta replace. i'm estimating i got another year left.

after the new battery you can check if the stator or R/R are working with a voltmeter. usually something like 13.5 voltes at idle and 14.5 volts or there abouts when some throttle. with bike off, the voltage can drop to 12.7'ish (?) v
    Last edited by crick0234; 04-16-13 at 03:05 AM.
    my gear: shoei multitec helmet; Dainese textile D-system D-dry jacket, pants, and gloves; JoeRocket boots
    my bike: champagne f800st; remus hexacone; bmw panniers, garmin nuvi 550; airhawk; 

Real Name
    Richard
    06-20-16
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800ST
    Best guess, battery. But there have been some reports of switch problems, try a jump battery with good leads and good connections. If that doesn't work what part of Canada? there might be someone nearby who can help, good luck, as stated by Al, when it's running, the charge rate can be checked.
    Current rides 2011 grey, grey, black f800st hamburger with the lot + leo vince slip on, Intiminators, M shock, led tailight, bmc air filter, F800Ridrers.org sticker, 2007 blue f800st R.I.P. since bought back. sport panniers top box, k100rs, xr400, can-am400, c71 honda, xr100, xs650 and some 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Book'm Dano
    05-25-19
    Motorcycle
    '09 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    OK, try putting it in gear and then out again. There is a switch that will not allow starting in gear. Pull in clutch as well and if you get it to fire you issue is in there somewhere. Is it a BMW AGM type battery? How Old? Did you hit any large bumps on way home after last start with bike. Reason i say all this is i had a cell break internally on my GSA with one of the BMW AGM batteries. was fine till i stopped then nothing. That will give you a few things to try. Did you get from dealer? get them to fix, they should honour if only that little time has passed. Will check back later. Not sure where you are located listing as Canada does not narrow closeness down much.
    Were all here because were not all there!
    07 Blue ST (Blue Boy) 09 R1200GSA(Grey Boy) HID on both
    www.danieljenkins.ca